April 19, 2024, 06:57:07 PM

Author Topic: One on one with Point Fortin Civic's Weslie John  (Read 5750 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One on one with Point Fortin Civic's Weslie John
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
One on one with Weslie John
By Michelle Cox (Wired868)

Point Fortin Civic defender aims to follow in the footsteps of his uncle and former World Cup 2006 player Avery John

The paternal nephew of Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup defender and Chaconia Medal holder Avery John, 23-year-old Point Fortin Civic defender Weslie John has football running in his veins.

John, like his uncles Quentin and Quincy, were stand-outs at Vessigny Secondary school and he was only half-joking when he said that his daughter, Arianna, could be the next Christie Rampone or Mia Hamm.

The versatile ex-national under-20 defender, who has already represented Police FC and Central FC at professional level, dreams of international stardom too and is anxious to follow his uncle’s footsteps by winning a spot with the senior “Soca Warriors.”

But, first, the young confident Civic employee had a chat with Wired868:

Date of birth: 29 July 1991

Number: 04

Position: Central defender

Home town: Vance River village, La Brea

Former schools: Vessigny Secondary and then Presentation College where I played midfield.

Favourite team: Locally – Point Fortin Civic FC. Internationally – Arsenal, I like their style of football.

What makes you stand out as a player?

Firstly my ability to read the game and secondly, my height; I’m kinda tall.  It gives me presence on the field to communicate.

Something most people do not know about you:

I always play with a chip on my shoulder, in that from since childhood days they used to say that I was too slow or too weak.  So now when I play, I have that in the back of my mind and always play with the intention to prove myself.

Who was your most important coach and why?

Actually, I have 2 coaches: my coach at Presentation College, Shawn Cooper, and National Under-20 coach, Zoran Vraneš. They believed in me and gave me my first opportunity to play at those levels.

What was your best and worst moment in football so far?

Best: My debut on the national under-20 team representing T&T against Guyana in 2010.

Worst: An Under-20 World Cup qualifier match in 2011.  We lost 5-0 to give Mexico them the opportunity to go to the World Cup.

How do you handle disappointment?

Before, not well.  I used to be really hard on myself, pulling down myself with doubt, but then I met Akeem (Adams) who was one of the humblest persons I knew.  So now that he’s passed on, I try to keep his memory by not crying over spilt milk and moving on.

Recently, I’ve been lighter on myself in remembrance of him.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

Hanging out with my neighbourhood friends and teammates and, more often now, spending time with my two-month-old daughter, Arianna.

Which three words best describes you as a person?

Passionate, motivated and fun.

What pushes you to succeed?

First of all I enjoy the game; but where I come from many people don’t make it.  I intend to make it (and) to make a difference and that pushes me to succeed.

Who is your greatest fan?

My mom, Carlene John; she supported (me) from day one. When no one else believed, she always believed.

What are your thoughts on the local game?

I’ve been in the Pro League since 2009 and I have seen some improvement in the support (from fans). But I would like to see more community-based teams get involved so that supporters get more involved (in the league).

What is your target for 2014?

To try out for the national senior team and to go abroad; my agent, Dion Sosa, is working on that.

What is the first thing you are going to do when you become a star?

Make sure that my Mom is set. I always joke and tell her that I would buy her a Range Rover. She hasn’t picked out a colour yet. (Laughing)

Do you have any inspiring words for upcoming footballers?

Believe in yourself. It will have moments of discouragement but you have to stick at it. Stay positive.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:54:10 AM by Flex »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: One on one with Point Fortin Civic's Weslie John
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
Good job Lasana.

John was one of our weaker defenders on that youth team, I hope he has developed better by now.

He needed some weight too.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:27:14 AM by Sando »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
i hope his attitude improve (i.e. work ethic).  he use to feel he done reach thiago silva's level so he doesnt have to train hard and try to improve.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
Weslie has done well this season. He looked okay last season for Police and Central too. Hopefully his work ethic has improved if it needed to. T&T is not short of central defenders at the moment though. He will need to be outstanding on a regular basis to break into the squad.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:59:16 AM »
Yea he'd need to step up his game - this isn't meant as criticism as he's a good centre back, but to break the NT with the defenders we have? Tough ask.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »
He ok, did not like him, he makes a lot of mistakes.

Hope he improve by now.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
Weslie John, has signed for KTFF Süper Lig club, Bostancı Bağcıl S.K.. The club is located in Northern Cyprus.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »
Defender Weslie John has signed with Salvadoran Primera División club, C.D. Universidad de El Salvador.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
So our players are now heading to central America? They learning espanyol.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:39:45 PM »
Very interesting.
Would love to hear what is causing this new or increased interest in T&T players by Central American teams
I think it is a good thing for toughening up our players & exposing them to the Central American style that the NT struggles to conquer.
Any clips of W. John in action?
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Weslie John has received his international clearance and is eligible to make his debut for C.D. Universidad de El Salvador today against C.D Pasaquina.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »
C.D. Universidad de El Salvador’s coach, Edgar Henríquez, says Weslie John has been an excellent addition to the club. His confidence, aerial presence, and ability to effectively transition from defense to attack are some of his noteworthy strengths.
http://www.elgrafico.com/2016/01/27/efectivo-caribeno-en-el-ues

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »
Live Weslie John and UES at 3 pm local time (5 pm Trinidad)

http://telesal.tv/canal-4/

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
Live today at 3 pm local, 5 pm trinidad

http://telesal.tv/canal-4/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:57:33 AM »
WATCH: Highlights of Weslie John’s first six weeks with Salvadoran Primera División club, C.D. Universidad de El Salvador

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZslIyPTo4JI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZslIyPTo4JI</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »
I eh saying he should make we team yet, but from all de highlights I have been seeing, Weslie deserve a call up and he might be we only center back consistently playing games at de moment.

He look happy and full of confidence.

Hope Hartie looking.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »
I eh saying he should make we team yet, but from all de highlights I have been seeing, Weslie deserve a call up and he might be we only center back consistently playing games at de moment.

Hope Hartie looking.

Tallman, wha going on with Abu Bakr and Bateau?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »

Hope Hartie looking.

Tallman, wha going on with Abu Bakr and Bateau?

They've been on winter break, so it's just been training and playing friendlies. Their respective leagues resume this weekend.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
WATCH: Weslie John scores his first goal for C.D. Universidad de El Salvador in a 3-2 come-from-behind win against C.D. Pasaquina

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UbKrCDvXWdg?start=108" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UbKrCDvXWdg?start=108</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
With Abu Bakr out injured, I say leh we give Weslie a shot.

Is Mitchell league over, I think he eh play since de Haiti game?

Better for Weslie.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
WATCH: Weslie John notches his second goal for C.D. Universidad de El Salvador in a 3-1 loss to C.D. Águila

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MYY0LKI9eqE?start=62" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MYY0LKI9eqE?start=62</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
WATCH: Defender Weslie John scores his third goal of the season in C.D. Universidad de El Salvador’s 4-0 win over Sonsonate FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bqzuAVv1qPk?start=25" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bqzuAVv1qPk?start=25</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
C.D. Universidad de El Salvador defender Weslie John selected to the 2016 Salvadoran Primera División Clausura Team of the Season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
Weslie John left today for a 10 day trial with Houston Dynamo.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
Weslie John is back with W-Connection.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Weslie John: Delayed does not mean denied
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 04:32:35 AM »
Weslie John: Delayed does not mean denied
Fight for the Fatherless

Weslie John is an International football player who represents Trinidad and Tobago and plays as a defender. He made his Senior debut for his country against Peru in 2016 and also played against Uruguay later that year. He also represented Trinidad in the U20 World cup qualifying tournament In Guatemala in 2011. Domestically, Weslie curently plays for Isloch Minsk Raion in the Belarusian Premier league, having previously played in El Salvador's Premier division with UES where he was selected in the team of the season for 2016.

Weslie told us he grew up in a very sporty family. His uncle represented Trinidad And Tobago In the 2006 World Cup, while another uncle had held an International record In Athletics. Football was simply a way of life and so after school all the kids would meet up and play for fun until dark and that’s where his passion grew. One of his very first competitive games though, came when at around the age of 12, he was invited by a new friend to play for the local youth team. Unfortunately there wasn't time to go home to get his boots but thankfully the friend insisted the coach would have a spare pair. Unfortunately they were the coaches spare size 12's, which meant little Weslie was forced to run around as enthusiastically as any kid could in boots at least 4 sizes too big. Somehow though, he still managed to score, albeit with a header and unsurprisingly not his oversized shoes, such was his confidence and self belief at this point.

Weslie told us he had developed that self belief early in his life as a result of his faith in God and one of his first coaches Michael Lambert. Growing up his Father was never really around at all to build a relationship with because of his work, but having a loving mother and through the church, he experienced God as a father who was able help him through every obstacle he was facing in life and football. Even when everyone else was only seeing negative things like he was too weak or too small or even too slow, his belief that God had a plan for him to achieve great things along with Michael continually telling him and his mother that he would be something special one day, gave him all the belief he needed. Unfortunately Michael died when Weslie was around 11 but those early experiences and his achievements now have helped Weslie understand that as he said "there’s nothing I don’t think I can’t do with God , who is the only reason I’m where I am today along with my Mother."

As Weslie developed, he became one of the most feared strikers in youth football. Alongside his strike partner and friend Marcus Joseph, they were consistently scoring 9 or 10 goals a game between each other with Marcus almost always just outscoring him by the odd goal. As a result, Weslie had big ambitions for his footballing future but things did not develop as quickly as he assumed they would and his path to the top was not as easy as he thought it would be. Weslie said "Going Pro was something I’d always dreamt about and the opportunity was presented after coming up through the youth systems. I eventually signed a contract in 2010. thinking it was going to be a simple process. Man was I wrong, it was the start of a long journey."

Weslie stuck with it though, when many others did not and even though he admitted he wasn't the most talented and at times it didn't seem that he was on the path that everyone told him he needed to be on to be successful, God had other plans for him and made a way.

Weslie wanted you guys to learn from his journey and most importantly know that you all have the opportunity to fulfil God's amazing purpose for your life no matter how far away that might seem at the moment but you have to be patient and believe. Wesley said: "I want you to know that everyone's Path is not the same, your breakthrough may take longer than others but you can trust God and don’t ever give up. As my mom always told me, Delayed does not mean denied.”

Weslie is now looking to help his club become established in the Top Division in Belarus and in doing so, if the call comes from Trinidad and Tobago to play in further Internationals, you can be sure he'll be ready.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
WATCH: Defender Weslie John - 2019 Highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_oSTrRJMJ8k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_oSTrRJMJ8k</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Defender Weslie John as joined Latvian Higher League club, FK Jelgava, on a six-month contract.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 07:32:14 AM »
WATCH: FK Jelgava defender, Weslie John, talks about life as a professional in a foreign league, how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected him, and his experiences for Trinidad and Tobago at youth and senior level.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_brEJhy3MLw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_brEJhy3MLw</a>

1]; } ?>