April 25, 2024, 05:05:20 AM

Author Topic: 2014 IAAF World Relays: Sat.24th & Sun.25th May, Nassau, Bahamas (videos added)  (Read 26378 times)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 IAAF World Relays: Sat.24th & Sun.25th May, Nassau, Bahamas
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
Josanne Lucas
Janeil Bellille
Sparkle Mcknight

These girls are all decent 400mh runners. I think all three can run better than sub 54 in the 400 flat. I dont think any of the current 400m women can break 54. The Americans and Jamaicans tap into their 400mh talent pool most of the time. I think we will be doing the same soon.

I knew the 4x400 women were trying to pull something together. But I never knew they were that bad :(.

They weren't that bad. They ran 3:30.9 in the heats (the 9th best team), just outside the national record of 3:30.6 which is 52.6 per leg. They brought in Howell in the finals and somehow ran terribly coming last in the B final in 3:33:xx. Not blaming Howell solely, but she ran a terrible leg by going out too fast taking the lead, then suffered death by piano in the final 100m.

Had Sparkle McKnight and/or Bellille been available to run they would have run sub-3:30 and ended up in the A final for sure but I don't know what's up with McKnight after her spectacular year with Arkansas last year. I suspect as a senior last year she is probably taking the year off after being burnt out from the 4 year college regimen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:28:22 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
T&T celebrate World Relays silver
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
T&T celebrate World Relays silver
By Kwame Laurence in Nassau (T&T Express)
Story Created: May 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM ECT

Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Richard "Torpedo" Thompson teamed up for silver in the men's 4x100 metres event, at the inaugural IAAF World Relays, in Nassau, Bahamas, on Sunday night.

The Trinidad and Tobago quartet clocked 38.04 seconds to finish behind Jamaica (37.77) and ahead of Great Britain (38.19).

After the final, the T&T sprinters spoke to the Trinidad Express.

Clink link to view video interview: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/TT-celebrate-World-Relays-silver-260775641.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:41:54 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SILVER RUN: T&T finish in style at World Relays
« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »
SILVER RUN
T&T finish in style at World Relays

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: May 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago’s IAAF World Relays assignment was completed in style at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium, here in Nassau, Bahamas, on Sunday night, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Richard “Torpedo” Thompson finishing second in the men’s 4x100 metres final.

The T&T quartet clocked 38.04 seconds, Thompson completing the job that was started by Bledman and continued by Burns and Sorrillo.

Jamaica continued their global dominance in the event, Yohan Blake anchoring the team to victory in 37.77 Great Britain anchor Dwain Chambers crossed the line third, earning his team bronze in 38.19.

Earlier, T&T (38.09) had finished second to Great Britain (37.93) in the first of three qualifying heats, both teams progressing automatically to the championship race.

After the final, Thompson praised Bledman for a fine leadoff leg. He also acknowledged the work done by Burns on the back straight and Sorrillo on the third leg.

“Marc was injured last year so we fit him right back in the team, and as usual Marc is Mr Reliable. He always gives us a good leg. Bledman is good out of the hole. And Sorrillo, I don’t want to say he’s a new addition to the team, but it’s his first big final and he handled it like a champion. We’re just proud of today’s run.

“The team put me in a position to strike,” anchorman Thompson continued. “They always put me in a position to be able to bring the medal home for the team.”

The “Torpedo” blazed on the home straight, overhauling Chambers to turn bronze into silver.

Bledman told the Express the return of Burns was a big boost for the team.

“It gave our team confidence. Went out there, trusted each other, with God. I know these four guys here, we could do it. I believe in them.”

Burns, the ultimate team man, was thrilled to be back in a red, white and black uniform.

“From since we got here, the camaraderie was top notch, and the guys just gelled together. We came out here to just do it for Trinidad and Tobago.”

While Bledman, Burns and Thompson are multiple relay medallists on the world stage, Sunday’s silver was the first-ever global podium finish for Sorrillo.

“I’m extremely elated. They welcomed me, and I took my opportunity.”

T&T’s campaign at the very first edition of the IAAF World Relays was a huge success.

The women’s 4x100m team opened the account with bronze. The men’s 4x400m quartet followed up with a bronze of their own in a national record time of two minutes, 58.34 seconds, before Thompson and company put the icing on the cake with men’s sprint relay silver.

The three top-three finishes gave T&T a combined total of 19 points, and sixth spot on the standings.

United States were the top team on show with 60 points, while Jamaica (41) and Kenya (35) were second and third, respectively. Great Britain (24) finished fourth, and Australia (21), fifth.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:13:03 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Putting the IAAF World Relays 2014 into prospective
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
Putting the IAAF World Relays 2014 into prospective
By Peter Samuel (NAAA TT)

I have been listening closely to the man on the street, following reports, articles, social media etc, etc. on the performances of our National Track & Field Team at the recently concluded IAAF World Relays that was held in the Bahamas.

Where, most that I have seen and heard have been positive, there has been the few negative remarks, e.g “No gold medal”, “only sixth”. This has spurred me on to write the following, and hopefully this would put things into prospective.

Let me start with some facts. (1) Forty-three countries took part in the IAAF World Relays. (2) Only thirteen made it onto the podium, Trinidad & Tobago was amongst the thirteen. (3) Trinidad & Tobago was fourth in the medal standings, being one of only four countries that won three or more medals. (4) Eight of the thirteen countries only won one medal. (5) Twenty-Nine of the forty-three countries accumulated points, Trinidad & Tobago was sixth in the point standings.

Taking all these facts in to consideration, it is of my opinion that Team Trinidad & Tobago did a fantastic job. Placing fourth in the medal standings (1st U.S.A. 5 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze. 2nd Kenya 3 gold, 1 silver. 3rd Jamaica 2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze. 4th T&T 1 silver, 2 bronze.) was a massive accomplishment, putting us ahead of many track powerhouses.

Trinidad & Tobago’s quartet of Kamaria Durant, Michelle Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas and Kai Selvon (Avg. age 23 ½) re-wrote the history books on day one of the IAAF World Relays when they won bronze in the 4X100m. This was the first time ever that our women have medaled in a relay on the World Stage. What made this achievement such a success is that it came about without the services of Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett. Hopefully these ladies have opened the door for all of our female relay teams.

Not to be outdone, our men’s 4X400m team of Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow, Machel Cedenio and Jarrin Soloman not only won bronze, but they did it in fine style, by setting a new National Record of 2.58.34. What makes this time significant is that it was 1.06 seconds faster than the old record of 2.59.40 (Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Soloman, Ade Alleyne Forte, Deon Lendore) set on the 10th August 2012 at the London Olympics.

Prior to the year 2012 the 4X400m record stood for twenty years (3.01.05) and was established at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona by Patrick Delice, Alvin Daniel, Neil De Silva and Ian Morris. The new guard has made the rest of the track and field world sit up and pay attention to them by running 2.58.34 without Deon Lendore. Deon has run (44.36), the second fastest time over 400m for the year, and with his inclusion and as eighteen year old Machel Cedenio grows from strength to strength, Team T&T should be heading into the 2.57 range if not lower.

The last medal and certainly not the least came from our men’s 4X100m team of Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Richard Thompson. The quartet continued the fine spell of 4X100m relay running on the world stage. On their first outing for the 2014 season Team T&T showed decent form in bringing home the silver. Keston Bledman seems to be returning to his best form and Marc Burns is back after a year off, due to injury. Judging from Richard Thompson’s last leg, where he not only caught Britain’s Dwayne Chambers, but also ran past him leaving him in the dust. The future seems bright for all our relay teams.

In closing, once again I congratulate all the Athletes, Team Management, Coaches and Medical Staff on a job WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:47:17 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 IAAF World Relays: Sat.24th & Sun.25th May, Nassau, Bahamas
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
RT's run was visually very fast, but nice to have it confirmed with a time. An 8.8 anchor puts him up there with the likes of Carl lewis, Mo Greene. Bolt and Powell are only two people to record an 8.7 anchor.

In the m4x100 final, @YohanBlake clocked 9.1 on anchor. In m4x100 heats, @TorpedoTT ran an 8.8 anchor. #WRsplits
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I have noticed that some of the videos embedded in this thread have been removed/deleted so for those who may want to view some or all of the relay races in the 2014 edition of the World Relays that have been removed, please go to this link: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/iaaf/index.html

The first video that starts automatically is the video of the last relay race of the 2014 World Relays, the Men's 4x100m Relay Final and also includes the medal ceremony that took place right after the final in which T&T won silver and collected their medals together with Jamaica the winners and Britain who won bronze.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:30:35 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>