April 19, 2024, 09:14:56 AM

Author Topic: The St Joseph RC Church where three monks are buried beneath the altar....  (Read 1974 times)

socafighter

Homer's St Joseph OdysseyBy Desiree Sampson Thursday,
May 15 2014
Newsday

The St Joseph RC Church where three monks are buried beneath the altar....

A recent drive through the main road in St Joseph brought back memories of a walking tour through this district, led by that late fountain of historical information, Louis B Homer. This was among Homer’s last few walking tours before he passed away in August last year. So as a tribute to Louis B Homer, this piece will retrace our journey with him through the town of St Joseph; a tour organised by the National Trust.

I met the group at the car park across from WASA’s head office. Once all had gathered in the location wondering perhaps as to the significance of stopping here, Homer informed us that this spot was one of the most important historical sites in the country. Why? It was here that the capitulation treaty was signed in 1797.

The treaty was an agreement between the Spaniards and Governor Abercromby that gave the British possession of Trinidad.

“If there are any sites, places in Trinidad of importance, this is the most important place because this is what made us British citizens of the Commonwealth,” declared Homer.

We then drove up the PBR and stopped at the empty lot across from the St Joseph mosque.

We were told by our able guide that on this spot, once stood a building from which the first telegraph was sent from Britain to Governor Arthur Gordon in 1870.

After exploring the St Joseph mosque (correct name Mohammed Ali Jinnah Memorial Mosque), which is now one of the buildings considered by the National Trust as representative of our built heritage, we then drove up the main street through St Joseph, to a site located on Albert street.

We stopped at a sloping park-like area on the street where stood a huge silver cross. According to Homer, The cross was built by the Gonzales family in 1892. The site is an excellent point to get a birds-eye view of Curepe and the central and southern regions of the country.

From here the walking tour really began as we no longer relied on the hired tour bus but our own two feet to take us along the remainder of the journey. We ventured back down the street and across the road to the park known by many as George Earle Park. For Homer, this was Barrack Square, the name the park was given centuries ago.

As he recounted, Barrack Square was the place where the infamous African known as Daaga, a member of the Third West India Regiment, was executed along with three others for their attempts to overthrow the then government in 1837.

All three were executed in this square which was renamed after the town’s long standing councillor George Earle and now most recently has been named as First National Park.

Homer had us hanging on his words when he opened his repository of historical knowledge to tell us of Daaga’s defiance in the face of death. “They were shot.

But Daaga was so brave that he said he did not want his head to be covered. He wanted to know exactly how they were going to kill him.”The park is also the place where two British soldiers were buried, their graves still there close to the eastern entrance to the park. This particular spot is maintained by the British High Commission.

Onward we walked, down the street to the St Joseph RC Church. The church has a very rich history, apart from that of its architecture. Homer informed us that three monks are buried beneath the church’s altar. Around the side of the church, towards the back, lies a cemetery where you can find the graves of ancestors of prominent Trinidad families such as the Farfans and the Dupreys. After touring the grounds of the church we ended our time with Homer at the community centre where we sat down to lunch and some of had a chance to pick Homer’s brain some more.

No doubt, St Joseph is a place where the old and the modern mingle to create a special town. And on this tour that jewel of a historian, Louis B Homer made the town come to life better than any history book could have ever done.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My hometown (St Joseph) and my old church.
Still looks the same.

Nice Read

:thumbsup:

whey boy!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Grew up in St Joseph, went the RC School next to the church. I recall the cross on Albert St., sits on Calvary Hill. Didn't know Gonzales family had built it.

Really nice read.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I lived in Leonville, down by WASA. Made Confirmation at that Church. Mom and Step dad got married there. Played a lot of football and cricket in the Valley(behind the church). Used to bathe in the river. Back then it was conducive for that kind of activities. I don't know about now.. fete in the Community Center. Party in St.Joseph College. Bazaar at the the Girls school, next to the Convent. What a Friggin' Life. Thank you Jesus!!!!!!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Allyuh fellas from down dey?  Deeks you ever jump into the river from the main road bridge?   Hear nah them Taeta in that river used to be big.   Yeah man Boys RC was my beginnings as well.  Remember the Chinee Shop right across the road from the church?  I use to by real Chinee Saugage dey.   One time a spend meh money and walk home all the way from school to El Chorro Road in Maracas valley.    Life was different back then.  Hmm.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

socafighter

Gentlemen

Tell us more of your home town , you must have more stories .

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It had this fella named Manicou.  Every recess the man was always begging.  Back then the gov't use to give lunch.  We found a stray cat between the school and the church.  The cat had cold in it's eyes and stuff one of them.   We make the cat like the Yogurt good and we give Manicou.    ;D     That was horrible now that I think of it. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

socafighter

Preacher that was not nice ...poor manicou  :rotfl:

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I remember ah fella called Manicou Man, he originally from Grenada. This man coulda climb any tree tuh catch manicou. Heard he died recently. St. Joseph lost ah real character. RIP Manicou Man.

the shop across the RC Boys school was called Mr Cross tuck shop.  It burn down a few years back, it was also a heritage building.

Have some pleasant memories of my days in the 80s assisting the St. Joseph Convent choir. That led to teaching some of girls break dancing. Man that was a great time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Allyuh fellas from down dey?  Deeks you ever jump into the river from the main road bridge?   Hear nah them Taeta in that river used to be big.   Yeah man Boys RC was my beginnings as well.  Remember the Chinee Shop right across the road from the church?  I use to by real Chinee Saugage dey.   One time a spend meh money and walk home all the way from school to El Chorro Road in Maracas valley.    Life was different back then.  Hmm.   ;D

I also went RC. Never jumped from the main rod bridge. That was to high for at that time. There was a road at the back of the church that we used to take to go Curepe. That I used to jump from. 2 days after rain fall the water used to be pretty high and clear.  I was exciting. Bath in your jockey shorts. Hopefully it dry on you by the time you reach home.

Yes I remember the Chinese shop. There were about 3 other shops in that intersection. There was also Mr. Montano, who had a small store. He had the deep blue RC school shirt. He used to sell spinning top, too.

The Church had a big bell out front. we used to try to swing on the rope, with the intention of hearing the bell ring, but was alway unsuccessfull. A short Spanish guy use to come a ring the bell at the scheduled time. This guy had a rythm to ringing that bell. That used to be my highlight for Sunday Mass.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Knew quite a few of those Convent girls....beautiful yes

Have a lot of family from Abercrombie Street

I was born in St Joseph Hospital, father was an RC Boy.  I went to school in St Augustine though.
Lived in Maracas Valley, those were some of the best years of my life. Playing football and cricket in the Savannah vs the Valley View boys.

Last year took my wife all around Maracas Valley, St Joseph, despite not having been there in almost 15 years.  Knew the area like the back of my hand...memory is a wonderful thing

whey boy!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Played cricket in the valley behind the church also the George Earl Park against teams like Park Dreads, Valley boys...... can't remember other team names. Funny thing is I can't remember my team name, maybe it was Back Street Boys.
Had to face intimidating pace attack from men like Anthony 'Horn' Tinto and the mistery butterfly bowler 'Chaput', couldn't hit anything he bowl, made you look really silly trying.  Our team used to practice on North Street, just off of Abercromby opposite Caiman Rd. Used too travel to UWI, Tunapuna for matches.
seems like those days are long gone, don't seem like any Windball Cricket league happening in the area, correct me if I'm wrong. 

I too, still have lots of family on Abercromby Street, La Sieva, Maracas Vally

1]; } ?>