June 13, 2024, 09:29:26 AM

Author Topic: 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships: Tue.22th to Sun.27th July (Eugene, Oregon)  (Read 16404 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nto 3rd place for a medal.

Lets see if the Boys can surprise us and do better than the Girls.

Nope they didn't do it. They don't have a team with individuals fast enough to cause a surprise. The girls were more disappointing because we know they could have done better

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
IAAF World Junior Championships 2014 - Men's 4x100 Metres Relay Final
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c8EO0iyhh8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c8EO0iyhh8c</a>
1.United States 38.70 0.154 (Miller,Bromell,Williams,Friday)
2.Japan 39.02 0.157 (Kawakami,Kiryu,Koike,Mori)
3.Jamaica 39.12 0.174 (Robinson,O'Hara,Clarke,Minzie)
4.PR of China 39.51 0.168 (Mo,Liang,Lin,Li)
5.Nigeria 39.66 0.170 (Akerele,Odele,Oye,Oduduru)
6.Trinidad and Tobago 39.92 0.188 (Cabara,Farinha,Ballantyne,Constantine)
7.Australia 40.09 0.126 (Clarke,Usoalii,Despard,Collum)
Thailand DNF 0.152 (Synthanon,Sawangyen,Chuchuai,Kaijun)

The Boys performed slightly worse than I expected based upon the team members leg speed.
Farinha got schooled by the the Jamaica, USA and Japanese runners on the 2nd leg. Maybe he was tired from running both the 100m and 200m rounds and Finals I am not sure but he needs to do a lot of speed and strength work if he doesn't want to be schooled like that by other world class sprinters in the future.

Thanking the T&T team of youngsters for representing and giving their best.

Our only chance now of a 2nd medal in these World Junior Championships is in the hands of our Javelin Finalist Shakeil Waithe tomorrow so all the best to him.

PS:
The Japanese are now arriving as a sprint power on the Men's side of things. They will be hard to beat in these sprint relays for the next few years going into the Olympics in Rio and outside of the USA and JA they will be one of T&T's biggest obstacles to medalling on the Men's side.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:20:29 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Not please at all with the readiness and performance of our athletes at these games with the exception of Cedenio of course.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Not please at all with the readiness and performance of our athletes at these games with the exception of Cedenio of course.

What do you suggest the problem and solution is regards readiness?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IAAF World Junior Championships 2014 - Women's 4x100 Metres Relay Final
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FH5iRk8l5DY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FH5iRk8l5DY</a>
4X100 METRES RELAY - WOMEN FINAL RESULT 26 JUL 2014 17:20
    POS   BIB   ATHLETE   COUNTRY   MARK      REACTION TIME

1   USA   UNITED STATES JUNIOR  USA   43.46   WJL   0.171
    2   JAM   JAMAICA JUNIOR  JAM   43.97   SB   0.199
    3   GER   GERMANY JUNIOR  GER   44.65   SB   0.177
    4   TTO   TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO JUNIOR  TTO   44.75      0.168
    5   SUI   SWITZERLAND JUNIOR  SUI   45.02   SB   0.175
    6   JPN   JAPAN JUNIOR  JPN   45.40      0.209
       BAH   BAHAMAS JUNIOR  BAH   DQ R170.7      0.149
       BRA   BRAZIL JUNIOR  BRA   DNF      0.152

IAAF World Junior Championships 2014 - Men's 4x100 Metres Relay Final
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c8EO0iyhh8c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c8EO0iyhh8c</a>
4X100 METRES RELAY - MEN FINAL RESULT 26 JUL 2014 17:35 
    POS   BIB   ATHLETE   COUNTRY   MARK      REACTION TIME

1   USA   UNITED STATES JUNIOR  USA   38.70   WJL   0.154
    2   JPN   JAPAN JUNIOR  JPN   39.02   SB   0.157
    3   JAM   JAMAICA JUNIOR  JAM   39.12   SB   0.174
    4   CHN   PR OF CHINA JUNIOR  CHN   39.51   NJR   0.168
    5   NGR   NIGERIA JUNIOR  NGR   39.66   SB   0.170
    6   TTO   TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO JUNIOR  TTO   39.92   SB   0.188
    7   AUS   AUSTRALIA JUNIOR  AUS   40.09   SB   0.126
       THA   THAILAND JUNIOR  THA   DNF      0.152

I guess we can't knock the Boys too much as they ran a Season's Best in their Final. We have to face the reality that we are weak in the 00m sprint department where upcoming under 20 sprinters are concerned. Outside of Jonathan Farinha we don't have any other world class male sprinters at U-20 level.

The Girls definitely would have won bronze had they not messed up their baton change between the first and 2nd legs.
I chalk that down to lack of relay practice coupled with a lack of experience at this level.
Hopefully they learn from their mistake and avoid such elementary mistakes in the future.
They can grown into a world class women relay team meaning that our 4x100m relay future on the women's side looks bright.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:06:16 PM by Socapro »

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:19:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IAAF World Junior Championships 2014 - Women's 4x100 Metres Relay Final
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FH5iRk8l5DY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FH5iRk8l5DY</a>
1.United States 43.46 0.171 (Daniels,Washington,Martin,Whitney)
2.Jamaica 43.97 0.199 (Forbes,Dallas,Cameron,Whyte)
3.Germany 44.65 0.177 (Kwayie.Mayer,Luckenmper,Butzek)
4.Trinidad and Tobago 44.75 0.168 (Telesford,Denoon,Prieto,Clarke)
5.Switzerland 45.02 0.175 (Hauri,Ponte,Atcho,Strebel)
6.Japan 45.40 0.209 (Adachi,Doi,Tsuchihashi,Takamori,)
Bahamas DQ R170.7 0.149 (Charlton,Cox,Bethel,Albury)
Brazil DNF 0.152 (Souza,Roza,Silva,Liz)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our performance in the relays was a total disaster. We have at least one relay medal for the last 2 world juniors. I thought that our athletics was on the rise. But after viewing some of these individual performances, we still have a lot of work to do.

Anyone know whatever happened to Adell Colthurst? Last I heard he was on crutches.. Did not even run in CUT.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Our performance in the relays was a total disaster. We have at least one relay medal for the last 2 world juniors. I thought that our athletics was on the rise. But after viewing some of these individual performances, we still have a lot of work to do.

Anyone know whatever happened to Adell Colthurst? Last I heard he was on crutches.. Did not even run in CUT.

Agree about the Relays being a disaster at World Juniors!
I hope they don't come back home patting themselves on the back as there is lots of serious work to do if they really want to trumpet their horns about T&T athletics being on the rise.

Adell Colthurst picked up a serious injury at Carifta 2014 and has been slowly recovering since that time hence why you heard he was on crutches.
Don't think he will be fit to run again until next season so lets prayer to God that he can fully recover from his injury as he was our best young sprint prospect for the future. We need to handle that youth with the utmost care but we already started overusing him which is probably why he is now seriously injured.

I have posted the official results and race videos from CUT in the 2014 CUT Games thread at this link: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=62562.msg899234#msg899234
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:35:57 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Agree about the Relays being a disaster at World Juniors! I hope they don't come back home patting themselves on the back as there is lots of work to do if they really want to trumpet their horns about T&T athletics being on the rise.

Adell Colthurst picked up a serious injury at Carifta 2014 and has been recovering since that time hence why you heard he was on crutches.
Don't think he will be fit to run again until next season and lest prayer to God that he can recover from his injury as he was our best young sprint prospect for the future.

I have posted the official results and race videos from CUT in the 2014 CUT Games thread at this link: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=62562.msg899234#msg899234

Injury must have been serious. Its been a full three months since Carifta. I hope he makes a full recovery.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:37:00 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is part of the problem. A cultural problem. The media is promoting a narrative of 'T&T after bronze'  :-\  T&T athletes should only have the mindset of chasing for Gold even if they are the underdogs. The media should never submit to publishing content promoting this type of losing standard. And most people in Trinidad and Tobago will be ok with this.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Women-after-4-x-100m-bronze-268754961.html

Maybe if they were chasing for Gold they would have at least gained a bronze medal
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:24:38 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is part of the problem. A cultural problem. The media is promoting a narrative of 'T&T after bronze'  :-\  T&T athletes should only have the mindset of chasing for Gold even if they are the underdogs. The media should never submit to this type of losing standard. And most people in Trinidad and Tobago will be ok with this.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Women-after-4-x-100m-bronze-268754961.html

Maybe if they were chasing for Gold they would have at least gained a bronze medal

Did you hear the girls say that they were chasing bronze?
Or do you believe every silly headline you read in some of the T&T papers?

The girls did not medal because Denoon made an error of judgement in running off too soon for the 2nd leg (which is clear from the race video).
Hopefully Denoon and the team will learn from her mistake but apart from that error they are still a World Class relay team ranked 3rd in the World this Year at Junior level behind the USA and Jamaica.
See link: http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/relays/4x100-metres-relay/outdoor/women/junior/2014
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:23:05 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is part of the problem. A cultural problem. The media is promoting a narrative of 'T&T after bronze'  :-\  T&T athletes should only have the mindset of chasing for Gold even if they are the underdogs. The media should never submit to this type of losing standard. And most people in Trinidad and Tobago will be ok with this.

Or do you believe every silly headlines you read in some of the T&T papers?

The girls did not medal because Denoon made an error of judgement in running off too soon for the 2nd leg (which is clear from the race video).
Hopefully Denoon and the team will learn from her mistake but apart from that error they are still a World Class relay team ranked 3rd in the World this Year at Junior level behind the USA and Jamaica.

LOL the headline is not asking me to believe anything. It exposes a cultural mindset we have in accepting mediocracy. A national media outlet proudly advertising "T&T after bronze" and we know most people in T&T will accept this.

Don't ask me if I hear the girls were chasing bronze. Did you hear if they were chasing gold? everything is judged and examined based on performance. Continue hopeing, we have been hopeing for years
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:32:06 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

LOL the headline is not asking me to believe anything. It exposes a cultural mindset we have in accepting mediocracy. A national media outlet proudly advertising "T&T after bronze" and we know most people in T&T will accept this.

Don't ask me if I hear the girls were chasing bronze. Did you hear if they were chasing gold? everything is judged and examined based on performance. Continue hopeing, we have been hopeing for years

Your posts regularly show a naive tendency for generalizations but I suggest that you speak for yourself.
Most people in T&T don't run the newspapers so they have no control over silly or even brutally honest newspaper headlines when they happen.

Because I understand the sport and heard the girls being interviewed after the Heats (interview is posted in this very thread for reference) I knew they were confident of being able to medal as their Season Best time and world ranking also indicated that they had a good chance of medalling.

For the final time the only reason they did not medal was due to a mistake by Denoon which had nothing to do with any newspaper headline but if you are naive enough to believe your BS argument despite clearly seeing the mistake that Denoon made which resulted in them placing 4th rather than medalling then you can go ahead and believe your own naive argument.

Maybe if you were one of the runners you would have been affected by the newspaper headline as you may not have much conviction in your own abilities but based upon the interview posted in this thread from the Girls they seemed quite confident of their ability of medalling and would have done so had it not been down to an unfortunate mistake made by Denoon caused by a lack of experience.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:59:47 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You posts regularly show a naive tendency for generalizations but I suggest that you speak for yourself.
Most people in T&T don't run the newspapers so they have no control over silly or even brutally honest newspaper headlines when they happen.

Because I understand the sport and heard the girls being interviewed after the Heats (interview is posted in this very thread for reference) I knew they were confident of being able to medal as their Season Best time and world ranking also indicated that they had a good chance of medalling.

For the final time the only reason they did not medal was due to a mistake by Denoon which had nothing to do with any newspaper headline but if you are naive enough to believe your BS argument despite clearly seeing the mistake that Denoon made which resulted in them placing 4th rather than medalling then you can go ahead and believe your own naive argument.

Maybe if you were one of the runners you would have been affected by the head line as you don't have much conviction in your own abilities but based upon the interview posted in this thread from the Girls they seemed quite confident of their abilities of medalling and would have done so had it not been down to an unfortunate mistake by Denoon caused by lack of experience.

Again I never said most people in T&T run the newspapers. This just shows that you do not comprehend what you are reading. I never said the runners are affected by the headlines either so again you are having your own discussion. A cultural acceptance of mediocracy that gives T&T sports media journalists the comfort to post these type of headlines and articles is what I touched on.. Again read carefully before you write.

Also your observation claiming I have tendency to post negatively is what most called holding your professional athletes to a standard.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:05:05 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You posts regularly show a naive tendency for generalizations but I suggest that you speak for yourself.

Maybe if you were one of the runners you would have been affected by the head line as you don't have much conviction in your own abilities but based upon the interview posted in this thread from the Girls they seemed quite confident of their abilities of medalling and would have done so had it not been down to an unfortunate mistake by Denoon caused by lack of experience.

Again I never said most people in T&T run the newspapers. This just shows that you do not comprehend what you are reading. I never said the runners are affected by the headlines either so again you are having your own discussion. A cultural acceptance of mediocracy that allows T&T sports media to post those type of headlines is what I touched on.. Again read carefully before you write.

Also your observation claiming I have tendency to post negatively is what most called holding your professional athletes to a standard.

Last time I checked the T&T Express is a private enterprise not run by the T&T people or the T&T government.

Your original argument was that the headline reflected the mentality of most folks in T&T and so influenced the girls to aim low and caused them not to medal when the truth and reality is that they would have medalled as they themselves were expecting to had it not been for a simple mistake by Denoon on the 2nd leg.

My argument is that you are making too much of a newspapers headline and the athletes were not reading or affected by that newspaper headline which is what matters. Maybe you are carrying on like this oover a headline because your mind is weak and it would have negatively affected you if you were an athlete? Who knows?!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:08:07 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Again I never said most people in T&T run the newspapers. This just shows that you do not comprehend what you are reading. I never said the runners are affected by the headlines either so again you are having your own discussion. A cultural acceptance of mediocracy that allows T&T sports media to post those type of headlines is what I touched on.. Again read carefully before you write.

Last time I checked the T&T Express is a private enterprise not run by the T&T people or the T&T government.

Your original argument was that the headline reflected the mentality of most folks in T&T and so influenced the girls to aim low and caused them not to medal when the truth and reality is that they would have medalled as they themselves were expecting to had it not been for a simple mistake by Denoon on the 2nd leg.

My argument is that you are making too much of a newspapers headline and the athletes were not reading or affected by that newspaper headline which is what matters. Maybe you are carrying on because your mind is weak and it would have negatively affected you if you were an athlete? Who knows?!

Yes brother this is about me  :D

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

My argument is that you are making too much of a newspapers headline and the athletes were not reading or affected by that newspaper headline which is what matters. Maybe you are carrying on because your mind is weak and it would have negatively affected you if you were an athlete? Who knows?!

Yes brother this is about me  :D

Yes I believe it is about your own mindset that you are trying to project onto the athletes! 8)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They certainly messed up in the baton passing. They appeared confident to me. Hopefully  in 2 yrs time they will have  improve to the point where they will be on the squad to Rio.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They certainly messed up in the baton passing. They appeared confident to me. Hopefully  in 2 yrs time they will have  improve to the point where they will be on the squad to Rio.
That squad to Rio will be very difficult for all of those youngsters to make especially if Kelly-Ann and Semoy are back and in peak form.
So unless they can each reduce their individual 100m SBs down to 11.low or less they will find it difficult to make that squad to Rio in 2016.
It will be all good for Team T&T however as it will be great for us to have a squad with 4 plus members who can run 11.low or quicker.
At that stage we should be serious gold medal contenders to challenge the USA and JA for that relay gold medal on the female side of things.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That squad to Rio will be very difficult for all of those youngsters to make especially if Kelly-Ann and Semoy are back and in peak form.
So unless they can each reduce their individual 100m SBs down to 11.low or less they will find it difficult to make that squad to Rio in 2016.
It will be all good for Team T&T however as it will be great for us to have a squad with 4 plus members who can run 11.low or quicker.
At that stage we should be serious gold medal contenders to challenge the USA and JA for that relay gold medal on the female side of things.

I agree. They really need to work on lowering their indidividual time. Look Michele pull out of the CW because of hamstring. So if Michelle having hampstring, Kelly and Semoy in limbo. That is minus 3 top athletes. We in doo-doo street. Lets hope for the best.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I agree. They really need to work on lowering their indidividual time. Look Michele pull out of the CW because of hamstring. So if Michelle having hampstring, Kelly and Semoy in limbo. That is minus 3 top athletes. We in doo-doo street. Lets hope for the best.

We are not in doo-doo street in regards to the future but we are in regards to our Women's 4x100m relay team chances of medalling at this Commonwealth Games.
However if they can't make it to the final minus MLA and put on a decent showing then the other relay team members need to look at themselves in the mirror and seek to improve their 100m PBs between now and next season if they are serious about becoming recognized World Class athletes and not being push out of the team by faster legs when Kelly-Ann and Semoy return.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:39:21 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shakeil WAITHE placed 5th in the Javelin Final with a throw of 70.78 not far off from his PB. His PB of 72.75 would have placed him in 4th so so I think we can still commend him for a good effort.
He is now officially the 5th best junior javeller in the World and seems to be following in Keshorn's footsteps.

JAVELIN THROW - MEN FINAL

POS   BIB   ATHLETE   COUNTRY   MARK   DETAIL   ATTEMPT 1   ATTEMPT 2   ATTEMPT 3   ATTEMPT 4   ATTEMPT 5   ATTEMPT 6

1   1014     Gatis CAKŠS  LAT   74.04   PB   70.65    70.21    70.06    70.70    70.89    74.04
2   1329     Matija MUHAR  SLO   72.97      71.72    72.97    69.53    70.09    66.52    X
3   1049     Andrian MARDARE  MDA   72.81      72.81    X    67.20    X    68.77    69.83
4   689     Jonas BONEWIT  GER   71.62      71.62    69.15    68.36    X    X    71.05
5   1450     Shakeil WAITHE   TTO   70.78      70.15    X    70.78    X    X    68.14
6   1024     Edis MATUSEVICIUS  LTU   70.58      68.97    66.85    69.96    70.58    70.54    65.09
7   758     Ioánnis KIRIAZÍS  GRE   70.38      70.38    X    X    64.72    64.77    65.90
8   935     Shu MORI  JPN   69.73      69.73    69.66    66.75    67.34    64.70    X
9   1427     Shui-Chang HSU  TPE   67.94      67.94    X    61.57          
10   933     Takuto KOMINAMI  JPN   67.07      X    67.07    66.95          
11   1176     Mateusz KWASNIEWSKI  POL   66.10      X    66.10    X          
12   818     Sindri GUDMUNDSSON  ISL   65.61      65.61    62.74    X          

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-junior-championships/iaaf-world-junior-championships-2014-4954/medaltable

FINAL MEDAL TABLE - IAAF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS 2014

RANK   COUNTRY               TOTAL

1     UNITED STATES   11   5   5   21
2     KENYA   4   5   7   16
3     ETHIOPIA   3   3   0   6
4     GREAT BRITAIN & N.I.   3   2   1   6
5     RUSSIA   3   1   2   6
6     FRANCE   3   0   0   3
7     PR OF CHINA   2   2   2   6
8     CZECH REPUBLIC   2   1   0   3
9     CUBA   1   4   0   5
10     JAPAN   1   3   2   6
11     JAMAICA   1   2   3   6
12     BAHRAIN   1   1   2   4
13     BRAZIL   1   0   1   2
13     CROATIA   1   0   1   2
15     BARBADOS   1   0   0   1
15     LATVIA   1   0   0   1
15     POLAND   1   0   0   1
15     QATAR   1   0   0   1
15     TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO   1   0   0   1
15     UGANDA   1   0   0   1
15     UKRAINE   1   0   0   1
22     GERMANY   0   2   5   7
23     SWEDEN   0   2   1   3
24     HUNGARY   0   2   0   2
25     NETHERLANDS   0   1   2   3
26     AUSTRALIA   0   1   1   2
26     ECUADOR   0   1   1   2
26     NORWAY   0   1   1   2
29     BELARUS   0   1   0   1
29     DJIBOUTI   0   1   0   1
29     SPAIN   0   1   0   1
29     NIGERIA   0   1   0   1
29     SLOVENIA   0   1   0   1
34     GREECE   0   0   1   1
34     INDIA   0   0   1   1
34     KOREA   0   0   1   1
34     MOLDOVA   0   0   1   1
34     NEW ZEALAND   0   0   1   1
34     PERU   0   0   1   1
34     TURKEY   0   0   1   1

I was anticipating 3 or 4 medals for T&T at these World Junior Champs so just 1 medal is highly disappointing.

Are some of the pundits at home being premature in declaring that T&T athletics is on the rise?

That question will ultimately be answered after World Champs in China next year and will be confirmed at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

check this article out Pro
https://www.facebook.com/trackalerts/posts/704827696220414

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

This is what stood out the most for me. I hope the NAAA takes this seriously and make the necessary adjustments instead of ignoring the complaints being made.

First of all, arriving to a World meet just two days before the start is not good enough. I understand the team was to leave on Friday 18th. What was the reason for the delay. The delegation left at midnight on Saturday and arrived sometime on Sunday morning. After rest and check-in the team only had Monday to get adjusted to the time difference, jet lag, the accommodation and track. The time difference is an issue as Eugene is three hours behind TT time. This means that our young athletes may have been getting up at 3am/4am in Eugene in keeping local time here (6am/7am)in TT.

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile

This is what stood out the most for me. I hope the NAAA takes this seriously and make the necessary adjustments instead of ignoring the complaints being made.

First of all, arriving to a World meet just two days before the start is not good enough. I understand the team was to leave on Friday 18th. What was the reason for the delay. The delegation left at midnight on Saturday and arrived sometime on Sunday morning. After rest and check-in the team only had Monday to get adjusted to the time difference, jet lag, the accommodation and track. The time difference is an issue as Eugene is three hours behind TT time. This means that our young athletes may have been getting up at 3am/4am in Eugene in keeping local time here (6am/7am)in TT.

not to mention that 4-5 of the athletes almost didnt have any kits to run in. Their luggage got kept back in ney jersey and got back to them the morning before the games..

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
REVIEW OF T&T AT THE 2014 WORLD JUNIORS
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »

REVIEW OF T&T AT THE 2014 WORLD JUNIORS
By Clayton Clarke, July 28th (TrackAlerts.com)

T&T junior athletes just completed their campaign at the 20th IAAF World Juniors in Eugene, Oregon, USA with one gold medal courtesy Machel Cedenio, following his victory in the men’s 400m finals.
Our soca athletes finished joint 15th on the medal table and there were top eight performances for the women’s 4x100m team, missing out on a medal in the finals taking fourth.
Jonathan Farinha had the distinction of become the lone male double sprint finalist at the meet making the medal round in the men’s 100 and 200m finals. Farinha (J) then helped the men’s 4x100m squad to sixth in the finals.

Shakeil Waithe was fifth in the men’s javelin finals while Reubin Walters finished sixth in the men’s 110m hurdles finals with a personal best time of 13.52. Based on top eight finishes T&T was 17th overall. T&T has won gold at the last three consecutive World Juniors and has medalled every year since 2000!!!.
The performances were indeed commendable and I guess we could all forget the preparation and selection challenges that existed before the team left for Eugene.

First of all, arriving to a World meet just two days before the start is not good enough. I understand the team was to leave on Friday 18th. What was the reason for the delay. The delegation left at midnight on Saturday and arrived sometime on Sunday morning. After rest and check-in the team only had Monday to get adjusted to the time difference, jet lag, the accommodation and track.

The time difference is an issue as Eugene is three hours behind TT time. This means that our young athletes may have been getting up at 3am/4am in Eugene in keeping local time here (6am/7am)in TT. Over the past two years I have heard comments by NAAA persons that team training sessions are not necessary when athletes are preparing to leave for global meets.
The focus seem to be just to come together for relay practices.

Yet, there are certain athletes under their coaches who are training to get up at the times when their events are scheduled so they can get accustomed to time adjustment. In other words, if that athletes has a race that gets underway at 2am local time, the parent was advised to get the athlete up and train or stretch. Commendable preparation strategy.

However, why was this routine been suggested and implemented for other athletes. A training camp would have helped immensely or arriving in Eugene well advance to the start the meet.

Cedenio commented after his race in the preliminary of the men’s 400m that he was struggling with jet lag, having travelled all the way from Europe where he was competing in preparation for the World Juniors. If one day of practice ahead of major championships was enough then the NAAA should say.
At the 2012 World Juniors in Barcelona, Spain the national contingent arrived just in time for the start of the meet and did not even had time to visit the stadium, far less to get in a training session.
I could just imagine the response by the NAAA-a lack of funding.

Secondly, for the last two years, NAAA president Ephraime Serette had gone on record at the end of the Carifta Games saying that our athletes will be kept together to prepare for the upcoming meets (last year Pan American Juniors, this year World Juniors).

Yet that promise was not realized as according Serrette, coaches are not willing to release their athletes for training camps. He added that lack of funding is another issue. Of course team manager of the World Junior team, Jim Clarke, speaking before leaving for Oregon, boasted that the athletes were in training since Carifta. It appears that he and Serrette were speaking from different notes.
Team selection was another issue.
The men’s 4x400m team went to Eugene with the fastest time in the world and was the reigning bronze medallists.

National Junior 400m champion Theon Lewis was omitted from the line up. According to reports the NAAA declared that he was not fit to go to the World Juniors. My issue with this situation is not about Lewis but about how the NAAA goes about informing the public.
An athlete who have made a standard was dropped from a team yet the NAAA does not see it fit to give an explanation.
According to report, Lewis did not travel to the CAC Juniors prior to the World Juniors on medical advice. As it turned out Asa Guevera was below par in the individual 400m prelims and did was below his best int he 4x400m relay.
The result-our men’s 4x400m runners did not qualify for the finals.
Manager Clarke, when asked said Lewis was not fit.
However Lewis had in his possession at the airport a medical declaring his readiness to compete.

Other reports tell of Nicholas Landeau almost being axed from team after he dropped out of the 800m and did not run the 1500m at the CAC Juniors. But the ‘secrecy’ has been keeping with the modus operandi of the NAAA. Remember the no-comment on the omission of the Collingwood brothers from the 2010 World Juniors team? What about the ”we don’t have to give the media an explanation to our procedures”- response by Serrette on the exclusion of Darrel Brown from the 2011 World Senior team?

I am not sure how different preparation and procedures for this year’s World Juniors were from previous editions. For one Dexter Voisin has the manager our team since 2008 so he should now and have a model to with. This year he was the head coach so I am sure he is familiar with what is to expect. So when I hear manager Clarke and Voisin say they were expecting more from our athletes I am wondering if they were basing their expectations along with the challenging our athletes were faced.
Or it is just about medalling, medalling. Our team can’t arrive at a World Juniors and expect to just give their best.

The Jamaican athletic federation has come under fire recently for the discontinuing for junior training camps of the 2000’s which according to some has benefited their athletes tremendously.

One positive note I want to highlight is the presence of the NAAA Public Relations Officer Peter Samuel in Eugene. Samuel have been posting videos of races and interviews with our athletes as well as photos. Great job Samuel.
I am sure the track and field fans and the public were happy to follow the exploits of our athletes.
If I am not mistaken this is the first national team in a long time where the PRO accompanied the team.
He was the manager of the 2007 Pan American Junior team (I not sure how much coverage he was able to provide then).
Since his re-election as PRO, Samuel has really stepped up his coverage.
In his next outing you could consider providing the media with press releases as you and the NAAA are aware that there were not local media present in Euguene as the World Juniors clashed with the Commonwealth Games and priority was given to the Commonwealth Games .

(The views expressed in this article are those of the author (Clayton Clarke) and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, trackalerts.com.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:59:38 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Below is a post from Junior Worlds team member Holland Cabare.

"Well it was a long season with a lot of ups and downs…it may not have ended the way I wanted it to but I'm happy…….yea we finished 6th but we all gave it our best for our country and there's no shame in that so I just wanna thank god,my family,friends,coaches,medical team and everyone that wished me well and supported me throughout the season….big up to my teammates Mrr Hiz O Lop Corey Constantine Jonathan Ever King and Micah Swaggerking Ballantyne and shout out to Jason Pilgrim and the whole sports medic TT team this wouldn't have been possible without you guys……thank you all……..time to rest and get ready for the 2015 season"

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Posted by Jonathan Farhina.

Ohh yes it's been a long season,I'm so proud of myself right now. I've had so many ups and downs but with God I was able to overcome those minor obstacles in my way and make it through to the WORLD JUNIOR FINALS,Placing 8th in both 100m and 200m...I mean it's 6 hard races against the best athletes in the world so finishing 8th is a big achievement for me and I am proud of representing my country. I can't forget to mention the most important people who played a crucial role in my life, (mother, father, coach friends and family) the support is truly appreciated. Thank you guys!

1]; } ?>