March 28, 2024, 03:25:59 PM

Author Topic: A little chitchat with raising-star Alvin Jones.  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
A little chitchat with raising-star Alvin Jones.
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »
A little chitchat with raising-star Alvin Jones.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Only recently promoted to Pro League current champions W Connection's first team; talented right-back Alvin Jones touched based with the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) and expressed some of his immediate plans for the future.

Jones, who has a rich vein of football in his blood is eager to follow in his family's footsteps and represent his country one day.

His dad Kelvin Jones was a former Trinidad and Tobago international, his brother and teammate at Connection (Joevin) who is regarded as one of the top talents currently playing in the league is another current star for his country and now Alvin looks set to follow in their footsteps.

The player who spent half of the season on the bench for his club got the chance to play first team football midway into the season and never looked back. He grabbed the occasion with both hands and is now a main stay for the T&T's number one football club champions.

Alvin, is know for his high work-rate and professionalism on the field, has a powerful right foot and is deadly with free-kicks. He was an understudy to former W Connection right-back Brazilian Joao Ananias and seemed to have adapted to the game effectively, more-so that even the Brazilians may have to fight for his position if he returns.

And, considering he has only played in half of the season the talented defender still managed to rack up some 5 goals in all competition for the Savonetta Boys.

Alvin, gave us a sneak preview on what we can expect of him in the coming years.

1. Now that you are a regular member of the W Connection senior team. How hard was it to break through on the starting eleven and who helped you up your game.
AJ: It was very challenging for me as a young player to star into the W Connection first team but players like Daneil Cyrus, Mekeil Williams and Joevin Jones always motivated me and I waited patiently for my chance and took it.

2. Your father (Kelvin) was a former T&T player, your brother (Joevin) is currently one of the hottest prospects in T&T and you seem to be coming along in the same mold. I would say football is really in your blood. What are some of your main goals as far as your career goes that you would like to accomplished.
AJ: I would love to represent my country at the senior level and also play abroad.

3. What are some of the Clubs you've played for at youth level. In other words, did you play for other teams before joining W Connection.
AJ: Yes, my first team was San Juan Jabloteh and then North East Starts before joining W Connection.

4. Tell us about your schooling. Which schools did you go to and some of your achievements on the field for them.
AJ: I started my career as a defender with East Mucurapo Secondary.

5. You were part of the last Trinidad and Tobago national U-20 team and had a running with the then head coach Michael McComie. We were told that you made an error in the game. The coach immediately withdrew you from the game and you run continuously around the Stadium (about 70 laps) from about the 8th minute of the game, throughout the entire half time interval and then throughout the entire second half of the game. An additional 20 minutes was played and McComie had you run through that entire period as well. As a result the you eventually collapsed during the coach's team talk. It was said that your nails were beginning to turn blue, other staff members had to work overtime to eventually revive you from suspected dehydration, and thankfully they did on time or else you could have died. We heard that your father got involved and eventually dropped the case and covered everything up I guess so McComie could save his career. Seeing that McComie is not in the game anymore Can you touch on this and give us the real story what went down. Our source said it did happen, they were there.
AJ: As a footballer you will always have your ups and downs. I try to keep my head high and work towards my goal.

6. Who are some of your favorite players and clubs. Also, who are some of your favorite T&T players, past or present.
AJ: Trent Noel (Police FC), Keston Williams (Defence Force), Joevin Jones, Daneil Cyrus and Mekeil Williams.

7. What are your favorite position played and do you feel you have what it takes to make the T&T senior team.
AJ: Yes, I believe in myself and I know that I can make the senior team one day. However, it's not up to me it's up to the coaches. I hope I did well enough to catch his eyes. It would be an honor.

8. Do you believe you are better than Joevin (laugh) or would like to be....
AJ: (laugh)... We are too different type of players.

9. Your favorite food, brand (Puma?), movie and music.
AJ: Fish and dumpling and movie; Top Shorts.

10. I've notice that you can score some great free-kicks. Tell us some of your strengths and some areas you would love to better in your game.
AJ: I will like to better my awareness on the field.

11. Who are some of the local players you feel can play on the national team.
AJ: Neil Benjamin Jr., Jomal Williams and myself.... (lol)....

12. Have you ever visited the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) and if so, what are your thoughts and how can we better it to make your visit more frequent. Also, any words for your followers out there?
AJ: Yes, and I have no problem with the Soca Warriors Online and for my followers; always trust in God. Good job on the site, number one for sure.

Copyright of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the above article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:31:29 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A little chitchat with raising-star Alvin Jones.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:22 AM »
Anyone have video footage with this kid?

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
barely answer them questions tho
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:50:18 AM »
barely answer them questions tho

I was going and say the same thing but held back.

Did not like his responses too much, is like he didn't want to do the interview.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:48:30 AM »
Great interview, poor answers.

Come on Alvin, you could do better than that, East Mucurapo Secondary didn't teach you much?

:devil:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Great interview, poor answers.

Come on Alvin, you could do better than that, East Mucurapo Secondary didn't teach you much?

:devil:

Obviously he was responding to written questions.

So as for question no. 5. He even try to give an answer.
But I could understand why he want to cause no bacchanal after the fact and move on. Especially if it was settled in some manner.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:30:21 AM »
Jones eyes senior team return.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

W Connection defender Alvin Jones has his sights set on returning to the national senior team this year. The 20-year-old earned his first call up to the senior team last year during the semi-final round of the Caribbean Cup and has proven to be one of the bright young defenders in local football at this time.

Reflecting on last year, Jones says he intends to step up his game this year.

“Last year for me was a great year in my life. 2014 was a stepping stone. Getting into the senior team was one of the best things to happen to date in my life. It gave me more confidence as a player and a person, and opened my eyes up to international football. I’m constantly working on improving my game and putting out my best for W Connection.

I know there are opportunities that will come but I have to remain focused. My aim is to get back into the national senior team this year. We have the Gold Cup and the World Cup qualifiers coming up and I’d love to be part of the squad,” Jones said.

“At club level I want to help W Connection win the League again and get back into the running for the Concacaf Champions League. I’ve had some trials in Europe last year and hopefully this year something can work out for me as I try to reach the highest level possible.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 05:22:35 AM »
Alvin keen to emulate brother Joevin Jones
T&T Newsday Reports.

DIRECTV W Connection defender Alvin Jones is aiming to emulate his brother Joevin Jones by playing overseas when the next transfer market opens.

Jones was articulating his thoughts after playing a key role in the “Savonetta Boys” securing an impressive 2-1 victory over Costa Rica club giants Deportivo Saprissa.

When the Soca Warriors drew 3-3 with Mexico in the recent international friendly on September 4th, the aforementioned Joevin scored his first international goal with an excellent free-kick.

On Wednesday evening at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Alvin scored an almost identical goal that sent the small but vocal home crowd into pandemonium.

“In preparation for this game, I was practicing taking twenty free-kicks every session because the tactics coach (Stuart Charles-Fervier) wanted us to do. I knew I would be taking all the free-kicks,” said Alvin.

“I got three last night (Wednesday night) all were on target and I’m glad I scored one in what was a big game for the players and club.” The 21-year-old scored six goals for W Connection during the 2014/15 season in all competitions as he became the clubs regular free-kick and penalty kick taker after Joevin departed for MLS team Chicago Fire.

Heading into this new season with senior players such as Mekeil Williams, Hashim Arcia, Jerrel Britto no longer with the club, Alvin, who made his international debut as a right-back versus St Lucia during the 2014 Caribbean Cup, has been given the captaincy and is eager to lead by example.

“Honestly I wasn’t expecting to get the captaincy, although I knew with a few guys leaving I would become a senior player to our young squad.

“I will do my best to lead from the front with my performances and my goal this year is to emulate my brother and be playing professionally by the next transfer market,” stated Jones.

Jones also feels the new signings of the club which include former club player Andre Toussaint from Point Fortin FC, Dwight Quintero (Central FC), Dominican midfielder Briel Thomas to name a few, improve the “Savonetta Boys’” chances of reclaiming the Pro League and other titles this season.

“I think management brought in some good players this year.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:55:07 AM »
Jones targets top of Champions League.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Out-of-favour T&T defender Alvin Jones is targeting reaching the group stages of this year’s Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League with reigning Digicel T&T Pro League champions, DirecTV W Connection.

Jones, son of former T&T defender Kelvin Jones and younger brother of current T&T and Seattle Sounders midfielder Joevin Jones made his SCCL debut last year and scored a memorable goal to help his club secure a famous 2-1 home victory over Costa Rican club, Deportivo Saprissa.

It was the Savonetta Boys’ first Champions League win in six years, and  made even more special by the fact that it came on home soil against a top Central American side.

Speaking to Concacaf.com ahead of the start of the Caribbean Football Union group qualifiers Jones said, “It was my first time in the Champions League and to score a goal to win at home after six years without a win in the Champions League…that goal was very important.”

The 21-year-old and his W Connection team-mates launch their quest for a fifth SCCL qualification when they host CS Moulien (Guadeloupe), Inter Moengotapoe (Suriname), and Atletico San Cristobal (Dominican Republic) in the opening round of the 2016 Caribbean Club Championship.

They start on February 24, 2016, against Atletico San Cristobal. A three-time CFU  champion, W Connection has made success in that competition – and the resulting SCCL berth—a priority and playing at home will help kick start the campaign.

“Our main goal is to be playing in the Concacaf Champions League every chance we get,” stressed Jones.

“We’re at home, so I think we have an advantage on the other teams, but it will not be easy.”

In last year’s Caribbean final, W Connection fell 2-1 in the final, also at home, to local rival Central FC. With both sides returning, Jones wants to change the headline this time around.

“The team focus is on the Concacaf Champions League,” he reiterated. “It’s our main goal to be playing every chance we get, so that is one tournament we take very seriously.”

Currently sitting in third place in the Digicel T&T Pro League with 29 points, W Connection is outside the qualification positions for the 2017 Caribbean Football Union Club Championship.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
W Connection best upcoming player is Alvin Jones...
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:06:20 PM »
The few matches I have seen him play, he has something that under the right guidance, he will go far...

The rest of the connection players are average imo but Alvin I believe can do well if he gets the right exposure and trains under a better coach... if he was under Hart he would have excelled like kerron Cummings..

Under the puppet I'm curious to see what he churns out in the defensive midfield role... he is good at dead ball situations from what I remember ... I think he's the only saving grace in the terrorist and the Dictator selection of this current team...

I notice kerron is also not on this team, I wonder why they couldn't take him along to get him back into game mode.. setta snakes so what do you expect..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:10:25 PM by Controversial »

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: W Connection best upcoming player is Alvin Jones...
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 01:47:30 AM »
I notice kerron is also not on this team, I wonder why they couldn't take him along to get him back into game mode.. setta snakes so what do you expect..

I know that you really want to see Pest back in NT action but he really isn't in any sort of form to merit a place.

Alvin is a decent prospect. He has the tools and can hopefully push on. He went backwards last season in my opinion, but he has regained some form this term. Nathaniel Garcia currently outperforms him in that def mid position at the moment though.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
I don't see the local guys when they playing club ball. So it is difficult for me to pass judgement. When the clubs playing Concacaf we get to see them in action. For the pass decade or so, with the exception of Connection and the one year run by Joe Public, most of teams have struggled.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »

I know that you really want to see Pest back in NT action but he really isn't in any sort of form to merit a place.

Alvin is a decent prospect. He has the tools and can hopefully push on. He went backwards last season in my opinion, but he has regained some form this term. Nathaniel Garcia currently outperforms him in that def mid position at the moment though.

Interesting, I always saw Garcia as a more attacking option, need to look closer at him

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Garcia started off as an attacking midfielder but ever since they moved him to play in front of the back four alongside Leston Paul, he has made the position his own. His performances in that position is when Hart started to take notice. He is the fulcrum of the Central team now and tenacious in closing down and in the tackle. I watched over majority of Central's matches (especially the Connection games) this season and "Spanish" outperformed Alvin. I do want to see his passing improve and be more consistent though.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »
Garcia started off as an attacking midfielder but ever since they moved him to play in front of the back four alongside Leston Paul, he has makde the position his own. His performances in that position is when Hart started to take notice. He is the fulcrum of the Central team now and tenacious in closing down and in the tackle. I watched over majority of Central's matches (especially the Connection games) this season and "Spanish" outperformed Alvin. I do want to see his passing improve and be more consistent though.

Interesting, so essentially he's a holding mid now, Alvin is a good passer and surprised me at dead ball situations... if garcia can improve his game in those areas it would be interesting to see if he can play that role as a back up or uproot hyland from that role which I think he has gone past his expiry date... I would play him in tandem with Boucard but I doubt the dictator will allow Boucard back on the team..

The transition from the back to the mid needs improving and we need a player who can be the link there... the holding mid is a key position.. we need a player who can dribble and pass in that role...

I will check him out next time and see what he has to offer....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 01:19:36 AM »
so what are central fc plans for N garcia  hmmm mls europe or 5 more years in the ttproleague
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
Alvin Jones heads to preseason with Minnesota United.
W Connection Press Release.

W Connection wingback Alvin Jones will jet off on Tuesday and joins the list of players from the club to head out on overseas opportunities this year.

Jones, younger brother of Joevin Jones who plays for Seattle Sounders, will join new entrants into the Major League Soccer Minnesota United on a two week trial as they continue their pre-season preparations in Oregon.

Minnesota United who up until 2016 competed as an NASL franchise before making the jump to the first tier of professional football in the US, recently acquired T&T international Kevin Molino from the Orlando City SC in what was deemed to be one of the largest trades in MLS history.

The younger Jones, who hopes to be able to secure his first international contract, will feature in three training matches while with “The Loons” where he hopes to impress Head Coach Adrian Heath and be a part of their history when they kick off their inaugural MLS season in March.

Alvin Jones on his upcoming trial: First I have to say thanks to God for this. I am going to show what I am capable of and hopefully the coaches appreciate what I can bring. I want to be able to add value to the team. Kevin Molino is a personal friend and I’m happy that he was recently signed. I will be aiming to do the same.

Center back Jelani Peters will also head out on Tuesday to join USL team Toronto FC II for their pre-season preparations. This would be his first overseas trial and he is hoping that he impresses and can get the opportunity to join the team with his sights set on becoming part of the MLS squad.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:47:52 PM by Flex »

1]; } ?>