March 28, 2024, 04:16:08 PM

Author Topic: Politics, Rhetoric, Media , Propaganda  (Read 6055 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Politics, Rhetoric, Media , Propaganda
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
Ent ah saying this all the time?
Trinidad Express
Dec25. 2014

...Analyst: A new dimension in political propaganda
POLITICAL analyst Dr Winford James has described the erection of billboards bearing Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s image wishing citizens a Merry Christmas as a “new dimension of political propaganda” in this country. James questioned if it was an attempt to “deify” Persad-Bissessar in time for next year’s general election. Billboards bearing Persad-Bissessar’s image wishing T&T a Merry Christmas and a bright and prosperous New Year are being erected late at night along highway shoulders and have been seen along the Solomon Hochoy and Uriah Butler highways. “That troubles me, I don’t understand why the people are putting up these things in the dead of the night, it is almost as if they know that there is something surreptitious about it, something wrong about it,” James told the Express in a telephone interview yesterday. “This is a new dimension in our politics, in our political propaganda.” “Now we know that an election is coming up don’t we ? I don’t know if the prime minister is paving the way to deify herself, so to speak, to put her image in everybody’s head that she is it,” James said. James questioned if the billboards were “necessary” as he also noted former prime minister Basdeo Panday “her (Persad-Bissessar’s) former political leader condemned it”. James said in addition to the billboards, Persad-Bissessar’s image was being plastered on all sorts of paraphernalia including cups and cards that were being handed to citizens. “Gift giving is a perennial thing but it is another thing to plaster your image all over the place? Why does gift giving have to be accompanied by that sort of behaviour and that is the problem,” James said. RAGOONATH: JUST THE BEGINNING Dr Bishnu Ragoonath, head of The University of the West Indies’ Department of Political Science said he believes the billboards are just the beginning as the country prepares for next year’s general election. “I expect those billboards and whatever else will probably be used later on as part of the campaign, the real campaign. They are using it for the Christmas greeting but I expect that the real campaign, when it comes around, those billboards will be used for that reason,” he said. Ragoonath said the country can expect more of the same from all political parties in the build-up to next year’s general election. “We will see plenty of those things on both sides of the political spectrum,” Ragoonath said. PARTNERSHIP SUPPORTER: VASANT SHOULD APOLOGISE Self-proclaimed social and political activist Phillip Edward Alexander, a supporter of the People’s Partnership, yesterday voiced his disapproval of the billboards. “I’m sorry, I am a supporter of the People’s Partnership Government but Vasant Bharath, those billboard ads venerating the Prime Minister are a frivolous waste of taxpayer funds and an abuse of public office,” Alexander stated. Alexander took Communications Minister Bharath to task for his defence of the initiative. “Your disdainful comment that they ‘only cost sixty thousand dollars’ shows how dramatically out of touch you are with the masses, to whom sixty thousand dollars is a lot of money,” Alexander stated. “To refer to the public push back against this obscene and disgusting waste of essential resources as ‘silly season’ is to trivialise public opinion and shows a heartlessness we have not seen in this country for a long time,” he stated. Alexander likened the billboards and Bharath’s defence to that of former sport minister Gary Hunt and the $2 million flag bought during the Patrick Manning led-People’s National Movement government. “I put to you Vasant that you owe the people of this country a speedy and contrite apology, and you should dig around in quick fashion to find a ‘knight in shining armour’, one of the party’s mega-bucks financiers to underwrite this cost of this open politicking and take the burden off of the taxpayers who did not elect the PPG to office to have public funds misused on idol worship and veneration,” Alexander stated.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
These past years has provided us with lessons in political rhetoric, propaganda  and the use of the media to manipulate and foster what appears to be " truth ism"

The character of minsters have been and continues to be masked in a pot porrie of alleged convoluted stories and drama for a book on who should not be given positions of authority.

Each character with their own episode of scandalous tales interwoven in political rhetoric and veneered in baseless propaganda.
Alleged  Tales of money laundering- accusations of infidelity , disorderly and wanton drunk ness,  hotel rooms, brothels, incompetence, false papers, kick backs, use of government funds to support bogus programs, double registrations of vehicles,  appointments, disappointments. Ministers quietly singing Kaiso bit eh worth ah fart to their constituents-  yes if I had the time or inclination I would write do a study or use the material  to teach a course.
I really eh have either so sadly I continue to read the news and wonder how did TNT get to this stage?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:06:01 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »
You lie with dogs you get fleas......
How many keeping secrets? How many higher ups involved in things way too big and the public eh know? Well once more the rhetoric of political lies continue to encircle . Some claiming they get fired. Some proclaiming they are innocent some blaming the opposition - wha happen like they frighten he may know more things and go reveal at an opportune time !

All this change at carnival season is fitting to show the masquerading and phoney partying that has been occurring . Now tell me if with all this change over if security eh breach - look how people walking out with knowledge of investigations going on!

Get ready more pro panga coming- time to parade a new band on they stage

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
I have been pondering how  much slant and propaganda is been used by the local press to sway the electorate. What has happened to responsible journalism?

What's the role of the media? Should media agencies be free of bias and report facts? Is the TnT media been manipulated by specific parties ?
If we review the reporting in the local press( newspapers, radio and TV)  are their distinct biases or affinities to specific parties?

I realize that there is no law that prevents a political leader from owning a newspaper but where does the ethics of reporting conflicts with the mandate of the owner's will? Well at least the agenda for some newspapers is evident but it begs the question as to which local press is benefitting most from government funds to report Ina particular manner?
I am interested as to what the bill is for the UNC ad campaigns of the pm Selah in poster style in the Guardian almost ona daily basis?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
Funny how come  you ent see dem people responding to this?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
We are the best! Never in my lifetime have I witnessed the height of nastiness in a political campaign tied in with lies deceit character defamation and propaganda- lawd the old bards could make nuff Kaiso to last a century with allegations running rampant from the mouths of desperate people wanting power wanting to cling to power and wanting to continue fooling people-
Another bowl of popcorn for me turn to a new page onthe papers and read more outlandish promises with none looking or talking about the welfare of the common person!
 Yes a tangled web is woven over this land and spiders cockroaches and rats getting caught up in silken net.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:46:11 PM by AB.Trini »

1]; } ?>