March 28, 2024, 09:04:25 AM

Author Topic: Politics, Rhetoric, Media , Propaganda  (Read 6051 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Politics, Rhetoric, Media , Propaganda
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
It appears to me, that with each daily read of the news coming out of T&T, the tangled web of what is reported as facts and what and how news is reported, is questionable.
 I found  the reporting of events and statements by politicians over the past weekend to be very disturbing.

For example, one news paper reported that our PM, commented about ' taking out Rowley'. Is this not the type of statement we would attribute to a ; gangster' type talk? I find this totally irresponsible and below the expectations of one in such high office to be spewing such rhetoric. Imagine those youths who are looking up to her as a role model?

Today, reading another news article, a minister Macleod is reported as saying something to : , ' the enemy is growing stronger and that enemy is the PNM under Rowley'. This type of rhetoric is in my opinion either indicative of the climate now in the land, or one that will continue to propagate a war like, 'turf war' power seeking 'gangster like' mentality that is permeating the land.

The daily mudslinging  by political foes appears to be  beyond seeking to rule for the good of a nation as  oppose to bend of keeping and maintaining POWER!!!!

When a commissioner of police could publicity imply that a citizen is to blame for threats against him, one has to wonder as to the legitimacy of leadership.

Is there a commissioning body that  is in charge of  the accountability of  media reporting? It is no secret and it is known that some newspapers are far from being objective in their coverage of political agendas. The way that political agendas and how some politicians are represented in the news are apparently done so to sway public sentiments. How objective and non bias can a newspaper be in its reporting when it is owned by a politician?

How fickle, how ignorant and how intelligent do  the media, politicians  and some leaders take the public for? Maybe they do have this opinion of the common folks given the sentimental and blinded followers that flock in masses to support leaders and a party where allegations of wrong doings  seems to be occurring on a daily basis.

Public accountability is not forthcoming nor do I believe that the media is pressing enough on the issues. Instead I think that they are feeding off the steady diet of ' Blame' this one or this party for the indiscretions of one;  instead of focusing on the indiscretions and drilling down on the perpetrators of ' wrong doing'  we get a daily  flow of rhetoric shifting blame unto someone else.

At the end of the day, I see the irresponsible  reporting, political rhetoric and the misleading propaganda as additional contributing elements to the climate of : distrust, deceit, corruption, immorality , unethical behaviour and fear  among people in TnT.
my humble opinion

p,s, why isn't the media hammering the following issues:

minister  associated with Prisongate
Minister associated with alleged indiscretions- room 201
Minister - and police commissioner  about alleged suspects in SC murder- if all yuh know the suspects what all yuh doing?
 How are the police  rouge elements  dealt with when confidential information is leaked?
How is the government doing? not how the opposition doing. The focus is on governance not a lot of noise from the other side. Come on
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:40:09 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Politics, Rhetoric, Media , Propaganda
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
what's your opinion about protesters for the pnm holding signs saying to remove the indian pm? what is even a bigger joke is i believe the chairman of the pnm is of east indian origin... correct me if i am wrong..  :D :D it makes me wonder how much sense voters have in trinidad..

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
Given the diverse pluralistic nation that we have, there is absolutely no place for those overt  display of  discrimination towards anyone. I am hesitant to attribute blame or suggest that these individuals were representatives of the opposition . The way in which certain issues are playing out in TNT, one would wonder if we have a 'Gobbles'  in charge of propaganda.

It is quite conceivable  that the said demonstrators could have been part of a ploy by the ruling partnership to garner sympathy or to create  public out cry against a growing opposition-so it is with a grain of salt that I cast any aspirations as to the reporting of this.  I have grown to question and to go beyond the obvious text when deciphering  the ' Commess and bacchanilia' that is happening at home. When people are desperate for power or to retain power they will stoop to the very low of measures- we may be witnessing a very low point in our country at this time.

Never have I read about the degree of mudslinging from politicians as what is currently occurring inTnT.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:03:53 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Controversial  are you for real ?  I cant believe you man, come on ,the people with those racist placards was paid cepep workers , cactus plants in the demonstration . Can you remember what they did to Skippy ,you do not know or pretending to not know  how far the PP would go just to hold on to power. 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
Controversial  are you for real ?  I cant believe you man, come on ,the people with those racist placards was paid cepep workers , cactus plants in the demonstration . Can you remember what they did to Skippy ,you do not know or pretending to not know  how far the PP would go just to hold on to power. 

brother I am aware of the false flags but also keep in mind I am just asking for someone's opinion... my statements are not off base because the voting public in tt are easily manipulated and bought...

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
what's your opinion about protesters for the pnm holding signs saying to remove the indian pm? what is even a bigger joke is i believe the chairman of the pnm is of east indian origin... correct me if i am wrong..  :D :D it makes me wonder how much sense voters have in trinidad..
And who has brought that about????? not the same Indian people with their "is we time" mentality? We have a gov't that vaguely disguises its racism yet no one is critical of them but a couple fringe elements in a protest and PNM is castigated as racist.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
And who has brought that about????? not the same Indian people with their "is we time" mentality? We have a gov't that vaguely disguises its racism yet no one is critical of them but a couple fringe elements in a protest and PNM is castigated as racist.

both parties are racist... no questions about that but this board is heavily weighted towards the pro pnm till I die mentality... instead of being pro trinidad... most of the attacks are against the unc on this board, not that i care but we are surrounded by hypocrites on here..

let me reiterate for the last time, i am neither pro pnm or unc... i care for neither party, bc they don't represent me or my family... in saying that i am pro Trinidad and Tobago... which pnm nor the unc really cares about
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:23:23 PM by Controversial »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
what both parties are racist? that's bullcrap...stop sipping from Sat's cup..the people who are always preaching discrimination are not of African descent...go back and take a read of the AG's blog before he was AG..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
Contro, tell me a place where there is an even ethnic or racial divide that don''t have problems. This has being happening from the very first elections in TT. PNM did not cause that. Distrust start long before independence.  The Brits had us under manners. We were kept in place. But after 50 yrs of independence have you ever see Afros and Indo in the street battling one another. Not saying everything was ever perfect and not putting anything past Trinis. We saw what happened in 1970 and 1990. And seeing the current climate, something could happen.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
what both parties are racist? that's bullcrap...stop sipping from Sat's cup..the people who are always preaching discrimination are not of African descent...go back and take a read of the AG's blog before he was AG..

sat's cup? hear nah fellah, i am from a mixed family... i see both sides and both sides don't interest me at all.. if you sitting there and pretending racism only exists on one side.. you real clueless.. of course it is attributed to colonialism but if the people of trinidad can't get over that, it means they are not intelligent enough and allow travesties of the past to dictate their current actions..

you also have hinduism which also causes the divide but placing blame on one race and party is myopic...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »
Contro, tell me a place where there is an even ethnic or racial divide that don''t have problems. This has being happening from the very first elections in TT. PNM did not cause that. Distrust start long before independence.  The Brits had us under manners. We were kept in place. But after 50 yrs of independence have you ever see Afros and Indo in the street battling one another. Not saying everything was ever perfect and not putting anything past Trinis. We saw what happened in 1970 and 1990. And seeing the current climate, something could happen.

something will happen breds... trinidad is getting closer to an explosion and racism is at the core of it bc there is so much money involved.. and external parties as well.. all i am saying is both parties are to blame.. no party is solely responsible to this nonsense..

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
Controversial can you remember how men and women was blasting Manning when the PNM was in power ,you forget that already ,come on man stop playing .

From what I see people in here is about country, stop showing up your self like that or are you just being controversial ?  ;D ;D
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
That is always the excuse..it have racists on both sides..right now in Trinidad and Tobago the people who are preaching racial politics and divide are all of East Indian descent...while there are instances of people of African descent who do not lik eEast Indians they do not preach it or seek to discriminate politically, socially and economically.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
With all due respect Contro.......to bring talk of  alleged racism into the talk is another example of deflection ting from the issues I raised in the opening- why is the media not being accountable for unearthing the major issues we read about in terms of  specific ministries?
To bring up the issues of racism and blaming one political party is very much like what I have been reading since this government came into power.
 While I am not dismissing that someone or a group may be trying to incite those sentiments, at this time it seems like another deflection from the major issues involving specific ministers. So Mr.Contro...... let's get back to the propagation of immoral unethical and incompetent behaviour by those entrusted with leadership.

Check out the two excerpts from the editorial on Wednesday May 28 Guardian

No room for politics of hate
Published:
Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Text Size: 
The latest disturbing trend taking hold in T&T politics is the insular and backward-looking positions being promoted by supporters of opposing parties. Increasingly, toxic messages of anger and hate are being spread at political events and in online political and social groups. This activity is not limited to one party but seems to be taking root in every political organisation, regardless of ideology, or whether they are inside or outside of the corridors of power. What is even more disturbing is that only the most extreme of these displays get the attention of political leaders. Condemnation of extreme behaviours and comments happen only when they generate national controversy. Otherwise, there seems to be no real interest in putting an end to a trend that is such a threat to T&T’s democratic traditions. By nature politics is divisive. In their efforts to win voter support, incumbent and opposition politicians take up positions on social, economic and even cultural issues that generate passionate discussions and prompt citizens to support one side or another.

Casting blame, causing distractions
Published:
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Lisa Allen-Agostini

Text Size: 
There’s a queer sense that comes over one after a big event. It’s an emptiness, a haunted, fallow feeling that should have a better name than “anticlimax,” but there you go. I feel this sense of anticlimax now, two weeks after ending one of the most intensely fulfilling periods of my life. Coming back to earth, to T&T and its foibles, feels so unreal. Coming home to Dana, to Anil, to Volney, to Kamla, to racist protest signs in Port-of-Spain…it all feels like a bad dream. Section 34 rears its head again under what seem to me to be frighteningly disingenuous circumstances, while what at least one Internet user called “Section 420” finally comes to light.
Meanwhile columnists with far more political savvy than I have say it’s all a distraction so the voters don’t pay attention to Life Sport and the allegations of corruption within it. If indeed Life Sport is corrupt, it has joined the ranks of every government programme in the history of this nation. I was in a Social Welfare office the other day when I saw a sign banning bribes. I’m probably too naïve to know what kinds of bribes one could offer a social welfare officer, and to what purpose;

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:54:32 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
With all due respect Contro.......to bring talk of  alleged racism into the talk is another example of deflection ting from the issues I raised in the opening- why is the media not being accountable for unearthing the major issues we read about in terms of  specific ministries?
To bring up the issues of racism and blaming one political party is very much like what I have been reading since this government came into power.
 While I am not dismissing that someone or a group may be trying to incite those sentiments, at this time it seems like another deflection from the major issues involving specific ministers. So Mr.Contro...... let's get back to the propagation of immoral unethical and incompetent behaviour by those entrusted with leadership.

Check out the two excerpts from the editorial on Wednesday May 28 Guardian

No room for politics of hate
Published:
Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Text Size: 
The latest disturbing trend taking hold in T&T politics is the insular and backward-looking positions being promoted by supporters of opposing parties. Increasingly, toxic messages of anger and hate are being spread at political events and in online political and social groups. This activity is not limited to one party but seems to be taking root in every political organisation, regardless of ideology, or whether they are inside or outside of the corridors of power. What is even more disturbing is that only the most extreme of these displays get the attention of political leaders. Condemnation of extreme behaviours and comments happen only when they generate national controversy. Otherwise, there seems to be no real interest in putting an end to a trend that is such a threat to T&T’s democratic traditions. By nature politics is divisive. In their efforts to win voter support, incumbent and opposition politicians take up positions on social, economic and even cultural issues that generate passionate discussions and prompt citizens to support one side or another.

Casting blame, causing distractions
Published:
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Lisa Allen-Agostini

Text Size: 
There’s a queer sense that comes over one after a big event. It’s an emptiness, a haunted, fallow feeling that should have a better name than “anticlimax,” but there you go. I feel this sense of anticlimax now, two weeks after ending one of the most intensely fulfilling periods of my life. Coming back to earth, to T&T and its foibles, feels so unreal. Coming home to Dana, to Anil, to Volney, to Kamla, to racist protest signs in Port-of-Spain…it all feels like a bad dream. Section 34 rears its head again under what seem to me to be frighteningly disingenuous circumstances, while what at least one Internet user called “Section 420” finally comes to light.
Meanwhile columnists with far more political savvy than I have say it’s all a distraction so the voters don’t pay attention to Life Sport and the allegations of corruption within it. If indeed Life Sport is corrupt, it has joined the ranks of every government programme in the history of this nation. I was in a Social Welfare office the other day when I saw a sign banning bribes. I’m probably too naïve to know what kinds of bribes one could offer a social welfare officer, and to what purpose;

The core of your political discussion is race and the class system in T&T. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, it is there and permeates throughout every discussion. You cannot escape it. Many times I have preached that the Westminster system of government has failed in our nation. No one listens, it has further led to this ethnic divide in the nation.

Modern day politics hasn't changed, manipulation of the media and population is conducted in the same manner, except now we have the internet, which is an even more powerful medium than TV. Both parties are fighting to control the resources of the nation, billions are at stake. How do you think it will turn out? UGLY, VERY UGLY.. That is the nature of the beast.

A united T&T means that politicians lose power and leverage and the citizens have minimized the manipulation. You can't make money in this serene environment.

Corruption is profitable. If there was no crime, there would be no burglar proofing and alarm systems and security companies. If citizens felt safe, the police's role would be minimized and the populous would be less dependent on the government and feel the need to vote for a party to improve the country. Dependence on the state leaves our nation open to manipulation. If T&T was on track, the voting public would vote based on the party's platform and race would be a non-issue. Meaning the government would be forced to perform.

So many factors are at play with the topics of your thread but it boils down to the nation's money and natural resources and who controls it. All of these people are in it for the money not the betterment of the nation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:58:59 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »

answer this simple question, which party has been in power the longest and abused state funds the most? so it is hypocritical to say one party is to blame... both are negligible

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
I beg to differing regards to MrContro's assertion . The core of my discussion is not one of "race" - you will see that at the core of my advocacy is one about accountability, competence, ethical behaviour, morality and serving  or governance for an entire nation.

We are not  South Africa of old. We may have some. In our society who may see themselves as being disenfranchise  ; even marginalized in our nation yet everyone based on our democratic precepts ought to have equal access to political power.

By the sheer  composition of our nation we should be ready for any representative of any group to have an opportunity to rule-  partisan politics and governance based on " tribal ethnic lines"  is being manifested and promoted by  some individuals who are bend on dividing the nation and grasping at power along those lines.

So Mr. Controversial, don't project your bias and self adorned assertions to my views. If is anyone who seems fixated on the notion of " race" is you. Read my opinions and you would see the issues which I raise as concerns. You would not see the mention of race as a political ideological frame for what is happening. That is too easy a trap to fall into that would serve to deflect from all the other nonsense that people appears to be getting away with. I would not be sidetracked to get into a debate on those who want to be perceived ad " victims" or those who think it is their anointed time. That is utter deflection and simply serve to fan a flame of futile blindness to the reality of who we are as a nation.

People need to stand up and stamp out the insidious nonsense that some of these leaders and ministers are indulging in stead of following blindly and heaping praises and proclaiming accomplishments when a climate of fear and lawlessness continues to permeate and blanket a nauseating stench throughout the land.

Focus on the real current issues and don' attempt to indulge and hijack a thread by doing what some. Politicians are doing and that is to jump at the " race card " cheap and serves no purpose. Talk about nepotism favouritism and a whole lot of corruptible isms and yuh. Go be now getting at the core of the stench
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:17:38 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »
I beg to differing regards to MrContro's assertion . The core of my discussion is not one of "race" - you will see that at the core of my advocacy is one about accountability, competence, ethical behaviour, morality and serving  or governance for an entire nation.

We are not  South Africa of old. We may have some. In our society who may see themselves as being disenfranchise  ; even marginalized in our nation yet everyone based on our democratic precepts ought to have equal access to political power.

By the sheer  composition of our nation we should be ready for any representative of any group to have an opportunity to rule-  partisan politics and governance based on " tribal ethnic lines"  is being manifested and promoted by  some individuals who are bend on dividing the nation and grasping at power along those lines.

So Mr. Controversial, don't project your bias and self adorned assertions to my views. If is anyone who seems fixated on the notion of " race" is you. Read my opinions and you would see the issues which I raise as concerns. You would not see the mention of race as a political ideological frame for what is happening. That is too easy a trap to fall into that would serve to deflect from all the other nonsense that people appears to be getting away with. I would not be sidetracked to get into a debate on those who want to be perceived ad " victims" or those who think it is their anointed time. That is utter deflection and simply serve to fan a flame of futile blindness to the reality of who we are as a nation.

People need to stand up and stamp out the insidious nonsense that some of these leaders and ministers are indulging in stead of following blindly and heaping praises and proclaiming accomplishments when a climate of fear and lawlessness continues to permeate and blanket a nauseating stench throughout the land.

Focus on the real current issues and don' attempt to indulge and hijack a thread by doing what some. Politicians are doing and that is to jump at the " race card " cheap and serves no purpose. Talk about nepotism favouritism and a whole lot of corruptible isms and yuh. Go be now getting at the core of the stench

I agree with that fully but you are not realizing that the population is fixated on race issues, so much so that accountability goes out the window... It makes me wonder if you really read my response... I am not disagreeing with you, I am pointing out to you that it is beyond just accountability...

On another note, since the days of the doctor, our government has never been fully accountable to us and has for the most part drained the nation of its resources and abusing their power and the nation.

Whether it is PNM or UNC it will continue, it doesn't matter who is elected, they are all cut from the same cloth.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:54:09 AM by Controversial »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
Here we go again!!!! Another rant by Sat M BLAME the PNM!, it was the ploy that was used in the last elections and it appears to be the refrain that is being employed by if we want to call them 'Plants' of the current government.

Does this continuous blaming of PNM justifies reason for another term of mismanagement? Having access to power and money in many ways do provide for providing visible signs of projects which may be deem as improvements.

Let' s consider if the general social conditions have improved for the majority of the citizens; let's examine the fear that people are living in; let's look at a society where just about every home owner is barred up as if they are living in a private jail; let's look at the inept and incompetent ministries in dealing with serious issues: health- the state of our state run hospitals- the amount of deaths attributed to inefficiencies- education- poorly maintained buildings- the rampant indecent sexual acts in schools; substandard educational programs to curb bullying- the legal ministry- PRISONGATE still remains quiet- the --land rovers are allegedly still in Trinidad- national Security- filled juice cans DEA and USA involvement remains yesterday's mystery along with the chicken ganja , Dana's murder and the fire truck fiasco- minister after minister called up for behaviour that is unbecoming of public officials and for all this it have people starting to shout out the praises of the current leadership!!!!!

What we that chupid doltish and ignorant?  I say work on social programs to benefit the citizens - improve the quality of health care for all eradicate the criminal elements- restore the land to a time when people could move about without fear and then leh we talk about another five years.
I eh think that come election that any party should just be voted in on the failures of the ruling party either. Every party every individual who deem themselves worthy of the elected office should be required to show and demonstrate a level of competency and a plan for addressing the woes in our society. Talk is cheap; power corrupts; money is the rot of all evil- let actions speak louder than words-

Until we see a return to a united TNT our progress will be stymied.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 08:13:42 AM »
Fresh new EMAIL GATE scandal - Moonilal accuses acting PNM of infiltrating private emails- who really behind all this nonsense? Who really trying to destabilize whom ? Who trying to keep the police and them detracted from real wuck?

Who feeding the media all this? Once more the media jumping all over this rather than employ effective  investigative journalism and advocate for Government accountability and answers to:
The PRISONGATE affair involving the AG
The Juice Can drug
The chicken ganja
The death of the SC
The issues of the fire truck
The return f the land rover
The room 201 party

What is the role of the media in pounding the appropriate authorities to reveal closures or for more accountability to the outcome of these serious misappropriation of public office? Now the media being played like a fool jump into another he said she said and political ping pong which would result in nothing. Setups and fed up of the nonsense in the papers each day.

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.

Albert Einstein

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:18:57 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
All cover ups to dealing with the issues -  that is all rhetoric and propaganda - shame shame that ah party has to allegedly pay people to wear their colours
To allegedly pay for votes
 To Allegedly have to pay off companies and supports for promises
 made prior to election
People listen at what you are being fed and stop drinking the yello cool aid - to eh real is piss yuh being , fed and if yuh stay in the dark yuh go get more piss and manure to digest

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »
Good friend of mine who works in the media/advertising was offered alot of money to work on a media campaign targetting dr rowley by a certain 'activist' that used to frequent this forum. Alot of media persons on tha low are selling their pens for a little profit. He told me of one in particular whose name got called in a recent scandal. Said individual also had issues with this board at a point in time as well.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »
Read earlier on today a post  asking you to reveal  a mar- looks like the poster retracted the comment? Why are we so tentative to stand up for what is right and hide behind veils to protect the corruption by those we know to be wrong?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
Allyuh eh want to call names or wha? He might be the next candidate for Diego Martin West.

ANYHOW!!

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-08-12/supporters-gather-support-and-against-election-bill

Several full Cepep crews turned up at the Parliament building yesterday to work for a day’s wage, without their wackers, rakes or brooms.

But the hedges were already trimmed, grounds swept clean and there was no litter in sight.

Instead they came carrying placards, some wearing yellow T-shirts, others in regular clothing as they stood, sat and in some cases sang songs in areas around Parliament on Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain.

The debate on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill 2014, attracted a crowd of hundreds, who mostly ignored the contributions made by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Opposition leader Dr Keith Rowley, which were broadcast on a large screen near the Breakfast Shed.

Unlike previous protests, where most of the crowd were divided along the lines of red and yellow, most people wore clothing that was not in the dominant colours of any political party, making it difficult to identify who was supporting whom. It was clear though, that a large number of government supporters had been paid to attend.

Sitting contentedly under a large mauve umbrella, one Port-of-Spain resident, when questioned, said she was told to come to the Parliament yesterday.

“They told us to come and support the constitutional reform.”

When asked who gave her the instruction, she said she worked for Cepep and was told by her contractor to come out.

Fyzabad resident Selwyn Jairam, who also admitted to being a Cepep employee encouraged by his boss to protest, said he had come to support the Government.

“I know they are debating on the constitutional reform. If you don’t have an MP who is doing work then you can get rid of him.”

Jairam said his MP Chandresh Sharma did good work in the constituency. He could give no examples of the good work, however, and did not understand the details of the bill, including the runoff for MPs.

A woman in a yellow shirt said she was also paid by Cepep as her friend quickly intervened to say: “You are not supposed to answer them.”

This woman quickly stopped speaking but later passed a note to this reporter.

The note read: “We cannot talk. We working Cepep and they told us to come here.”

A man walked past waving a national flag, while a flag salesman complained that sales were poor.

A group of women volunteered that it was part of their duties as Cepep employees to attend.

“Yes, we are getting paid to come here, but we are not being forced.

“They gave us the option of going out and doing work or coming to the Parliament and I chose to come to the Parliament,” said one.

Oropouche East resident Narace Ramlackan said he was asked to come out to support the Government and was happy to do so.

Rain fell and people huddled under umbrellas eating sno-cones, some silent and watchful, others singing along to the reggae classic Get Up, Stand Up as it blasted through speakers, which conflicted with the audio streaming live coverage of the parliamentary debate to the crowd.

Dissenters out also in force

Port-of-Spain resident Ava Subratee said she had decided to come after reading of the “disrespect” shown to Constitution Reform Commission (CRC) member Dr Merle Hodge after she expressed concerns publicly about the bill.

Hodge, who was also at Parliament yesterday, accompanied by former gender minister Verna St Rose -Greaves, made no comment except to say she had come to be a part of a people’s protest.

While Baptists rang bells and sang hymns, Arima resident Clyde Pena said he was concerned about the timing of the bill, with an election due in less than a year.

Near the Breakfast Shed, people signed petitions demanding that the debate on the bill should be discontinued.

One self-proclaimed PNM supporter told another supporter that she had been called by her Cepep contractor to come to the Waterfront to work.

“I told him I was coming but to support the PNM. They can’t buy me.”

Petit Bourg resident Michael Samuel described the bill as madness.

Throughout the crowd, snatches of conversations about the controversial Life Sport programme, which the PM recently shut down, could also be heard.

Police were out in riot gear and some patrolled the building while others remained stationed at entry points and Coast Guard officers guarded from the sea.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »
Read earlier on today a post  asking you to reveal  a mar- looks like the poster retracted the comment? Why are we so tentative to stand up for what is right and hide behind veils to protect the corruption by those we know to be wrong?

alright alright

phillip alexander. he is working very hard behind the scenes through print, social and visual media to propagate propaganda against any opposition to this gov't..rowley being his favorite for a number of reasons. a pardner of mine was approached and refused as he knows that alexander family all too well. a number of journalists have taken up alexander's offer and are part of overt and covert efforts to discredit anyone presenting resistance to this gov't

he tries to keep up the pretense that he is this patriot and objective soul but any discerning eye can see him for what he truly represents
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:36:21 PM by mukumsplau »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
Ah boi one more big propaganda - a budget that has the veneer of benevolence but the undercoat of "self serving politicking for the benefit of those who are hungry to maintain power"

I trust that the electorates eh go  be "done cee" to fall for more handouts as evidence of baseless promises

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
Ah boi one more big propaganda - a budget that has the veneer of benevolence but the undercoat of "self serving politicking for the benefit of those who are hungry to maintain power"

I trust that the electorates eh go  be "done cee" to fall for more handouts as evidence of baseless promises

Yuh hear wha the Chamber of Commerce saying

T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce: No value for money in budget

T&T’s largest business group, the T&T Chamber of Industry and Commerce, said yesterday that billions are being spent annually and the country is not seeing value for money. President Moonilal Lalchan said the chamber continues “to ask for value for money as it relates to government expenditure. When billions of dollars are allocated to an initiative, it must be assessed to determine any positive returns on the investment.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2014-09-10/tt-chamber-industry-and-commerce-no-value-money-budget

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
So what is the latest today? More misdirection deflection form the main " Big Issues"  pm want to call inquiry into some housing project from yesteryear a !  We eh even finish with the complete inquiry into : CHOOSE anyone of the following:
PRISONGATE - and the lawyers- ent the AG was heading that one up? Any report submitted yet?

Life Support - ent the finance minister still to be investigated?

Drug in juice can- oh yeah the investigation too complex and sensitive cyar talk about that so they gone quiet Steups

Gun s that gone missing from forensic Center- ent that was big number one inquiry?

Oh yeah top priority to investigate DC- murder still no clear images from the so called video to make an arrest Steups-

Oh yeah what more it have out dey that eh resolve as yet?

It never fails every day ah reading is one set ah lies rhetoric propaganda  and deceptions-  calypsonians from years ago would ah have umpteen material to compose good lyrics- today most of them silenced bought out and have become sympathizers to  a governance that controls the press. A press that is as much to blame for the lack of taking a stance and reassuring the public that accountability would be at the forefront in each publication instead of sensational headlines of feuding political accusations all over the headlines.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Seeing-through-the-spin-275957371.html

Seeing through the spin
By Keith Subero
Story Created: Sep 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM ECT
Politicians are giving the practice of public relations a bad name, Roy Mitchell suggested in last Friday’s Express.
One of the reasons, Mitchell, a respected elder and PR authority, advanced was the confusion created in attempts to distinguish between PR and its disreputable cousin, propaganda.
According to Edward Bernays, one of America’s most influential PR pioneers, public relations is a lofty profession. A PR expert, he wrote, is a member of the intelligent few who, through planned programmes, can create effective two-way communication.
He added PR experts, working behind the scenes and out of the public view, are a special breed of social scientists, opinion-moulding tacticians who analyse and guide “the mental scenery from which the public mind, with its limi­ted intellect, derives its opinions”.
On the other hand, Jacques Ellul, in his monumental work, Propaganda, wrote his subject matter operates with many different kinds of truths—half, limi­ted and out of context. This makes moder­n man the prey of propaganda—because he accepts “facts” as the ultimate reality.
According to Ellul, “(Modern man) believes that facts, in themselves, provide evidence and proof, and he willingly subordinates his values to them; he obeys what he believes to be necessity, which he somehow connects with the idea of progress.”
One of the basic misconceptions, Ellul explains, is the notion that propaganda—a technique, not a science—serves only to change opinions but, more importantly, it intensifies existing trends, sharpens focus, and leads people to action.
He says there is both agitation and integration propaganda; the former, which could lead men from resentment to rebellion, the latter aims to make them adjust to desired behaviour.
Other studies have concluded, mainly because of its use by Hitler and his information minister, Joseph Goebbels, that propaganda is “an evil instrument”, and have detailed its use in psychological warfare.
In recent times, propaganda has been re-named “spin”, but retains its manipulative dimensions. Overall, it is still a deliberate act of psychological manipulation.
So we now speak of “spin doctors”, those who devise techniques in “spin rooms”. Their techniques involve the selective use of statistics, choice words and quotations, and television advertisements, edited to carry only favourable opinions.

There are also strategies to purchase journalists, manage 7 p m. newscasts, shape front-page stories, send letters to the editor and bury the bad news, ie, politicians flooding the media with good news to slip past the bad news.
Spin includes smear campaigns: the use of “gossipers” or peddlers who could “shoo-shoo” tall political tales, deadly rumours and distortions.
At its worst, it has meant counter-intelligence, re-education, brain-washing programmes and de-patterning of societies.
The “doctors” have devised the non-denial denial technique—the standard reply politicians are trained to give whenever cornered. Out of “spin rooms” have come the double speak and euphemism list, ie, the use of mild terms for grave situations.
So we heard of “revenue enhancement” instead of “raising taxes”, and the Energy Minister spoke last week of “gas curtailment” to describe the T&T natural gas shortage problem.

The spin doctors have also devised the “charm offensive”, so the front-line politician is prepared, powdered, packaged, with a mawkish smile, for every occasion. Every event is choreographed into a theatrical performance, directed from backstage.
Audiences, seen on television, are just the chorus, bused in, fed well and prompted by cheerleaders. Code messages, special hook lines and emotive words are written, calculatedly, into speeches.
If we are to assess this Government’s attempts, we should note that like all other techniques, spin is subject to the law of efficiency.
We need to assess, for example, the Prime Minister’s birthing of her baby grant idea while standing at a public podium, later forcing the Finance Minister to work out the mechanics in his 2015 budget; the Government’s attempts to bury the $400 million LifeSport scandal; the allocation of $6.9 billion in the 2015 budget to the National Security Ministry as though it were Monopoly money; the Prime Minister’s repeated bungling in the Wayne Kublalsingh hunger strike matter. And worst of all was the obvious targeting of the Leader of the Opposition in the Las Alturas Towers commission of enquiry.
PR gets the bad name. But it is really political expediency, being practised vikey-vie, just to retain power—without any morality.

• Keith Subero, a former Express news editor, has since followed a career in communication and management.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
Oh and...given the earlier exchange...I remembered this article and went to see if i could find it online. Unfortunately the Guardian has this paid viewing structure now which makes posting of articles difficult.

An article by Maxie Cuffie entitled "The Race Card."

http://digital.guardian.co.tt/?iid=93010&startpage=page0000025#folio=24

1]; } ?>