March 28, 2024, 05:42:49 AM

Author Topic: Grieving mom wants answers  (Read 1740 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Grieving mom wants answers
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:39:39 AM »
Grieving mom wants answers
Girl, 5, drowns in pool after swim class
Published:
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Jensen La Vende

Text Size: 

Jemilia Forde, mother of five-year-old Jemimah Agard (inset), is comforted by Alisha Richardson, left and Porsha Lewis, right, at her home after learning of the child’s death yesterday. Agard, a pupil of Sharon’s Nursery School, Woodbrook, drowned in the YMCA pool in Port-of-Spain after a swimming class. PHOTO:ABRAHAM DIAZ
Two children are now dead after they both drowned in separate instances between yesterday and Sunday. One of the two children, Jemimah Agard, five, drowned moments after a swimming lesson at the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) pool at Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain. Her mother, Jemilia Forde, and family are now seeking answers form those responsible for supervising the child during the activity. According to police reports, Agard, of Rose Hill, Laventille, a pupil of Sharon’s Nursery School, Woodbrook, was part of a class which went to the YMCA for swimming lessons between 9 am and 10 am. After the class ended and the children went to change, little Jemimah reportedly asked to use the toilet and was allowed to do so. After some time the teachers noticed the child missing and began searching for her.

She was found at the bottom of the pool in the deep end and was fished out and given cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) before being rushed to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital where she died. In a brief interview with CNC3 yesterday, a relative of the child, Psyche Baptiste, said doctors tried to everything they could for over 20 minutes to revive her but were unsuccessful.
She said a teacher told her the children were out of the pool and Jemimah went to use the washroom. She said no one was sure if the child entered the pool before she went to the bathroom as she had defecated in the pool. Baptiste added: “Nobody thought to look in the pool and when they did look in the pool they found her at the bottom of the pool.“She turned five on May 2. That could have been anyone’s child, even mine. She was her mother’s only daughter, right now her mother thinks she has nothing to live for.”

She said the family had been offered counselling but she said they hoped there were closed circuit cameras to capture what happened so the family could at least have closure. She described the child in one word, “loving”, adding that the family’s life would no longer be the same. “We want answers. What happened? Why was she left alone to go to the washroom unsupervised? No answer could suffice, at least we should get closure,” she said. In the second death, 23-month-old Kriston Obadele Gonzales died after he wandered into a man-made pond in the family’s yard on Sunday. (See other story)

Speaking at the Forensic Science Centre, St James, yesterday, relatives of the child, who wished not to be identified, told the media the boy ran out the house when a door was left open and went into the pond. The relatives said around 1.45 pm no one had noticed the child had wandered outside. They added that none of the children at the Alexis Street, Mayaro, home was allowed in the pond. “He was a very nice child, the most loving thing you would ever meet, very intelligent. His parents couldn’t come today. They couldn’t handle it. He was the first and only boy with five sisters,” the relatives added.

What the fack is going on in this country every thing is going the round way .

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Grieving mom wants answers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:07:08 AM »

My daughters went to Sharon's, in those days the swimming was done by Linky's and it was a safe program always had Linky and lifeguards and parents looking on.
As the teacher said the child asked to go to the toilet, hard to see negligence there.

Sharon died some years ago, surprised the school still carries her name.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
So accidents (if it is) can't happen in the country? Why things have to be bad for someone to drown? This is a very unfortunate incident, sadly.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
The child aunt goes to my church. The MOE policy that Tim kill for ECCE has banned all swim classes. In fact the MOE hasa no water policy. When I went to school every year we would have a beach lime. So to my great surprise when I worked there there was a NO WATER POLICY.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
The child aunt goes to my church. The MOE policy that Tim kill for ECCE has banned all swim classes. In fact the MOE hasa no water policy. When I went to school every year we would have a beach lime. So to my great surprise when I worked there there was a NO WATER POLICY.

i think you need special permission from the ministry to carry them to water. a school i worked at used to go to the same YMCA for swim classes. i always opted out of supervision for them troublesome pickney. its really on field trips that they cant go in water. what i think this is here is that someone was to go with her to use the toilet considering the inherent risks associated with a swim facility magnified by the age group of children ur dealing with..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »

i think you need special permission from the ministry to carry them to water. a school i worked at used to go to the same YMCA for swim classes. i always opted out of supervision for them troublesome pickney. its really on field trips that they cant go in water. what i think this is here is that someone was to go with her to use the toilet considering the inherent risks associated with a swim facility magnified by the age group of children ur dealing with..

Pre schools have a different mgmt structure they are a private.  My church hasa Pre School and they go to the pool.The National ECCE Policy neva went any where with these people.  Govt Primary and Secondary schools cannot cdren anywhere near water. So u know no way their Pre School can.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

Pre schools have a different mgmt structure they are a private.  My church hasa Pre School and they go to the pool.The National ECCE Policy neva went any where with these people.  Govt Primary and Secondary schools cannot cdren anywhere near water. So u know no way their Pre School can.

Lol an island by definition small surrounded by water and we keep kids away from that water.

There must be a policy to teach children to swim. Years ago it was estimated that 80% of our population could not swim seems we are intent in keeping it that way and counting the bodies every Easter weekend
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>