March 28, 2024, 04:27:34 AM

Author Topic: Why Do African Teams feel the need to play Euro brands  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Do African Teams feel the need to play Euro brands
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
From my early memory when African teams played on the big stage one of the things you could count on was to see brave attacking football.  I remember the days when it was obvious that Euro teams had no clue how to play African teams.  No clue.  I would admit that every loss was because of technical deficit or laps in concentration.   But my goodness Argentina - Nigeria, Cameroon - England.  Today I seeing more and more African teams with a natural attack minded advantage giving that up for the semi Euro work it around the box thing.   As my old coach Kenny Thomas used to say "Football is always 1 v 1"  That's no more true than in the attacking third.  It may be simple saying but if you win your 1 v 1 in the box then its a good chance that there is a 1 v 0 somewhere near you.   Instead I'm watching these usually attack minded team passing the ball in midfield to nowhere...  I'm not sure what they are trying to calculate.  At this level chances are made not given.  "Play Free"
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do African Teams feel the need to play Euro brands
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
Well, isn't most of them playing in Europe?

Our team that went to the world cup in 2006, we play European football too.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
I disagree. I like Ghana brand this evening (besides defending corners). takin men on in spurts. cote d'ivoire, Cameroon...maybe one man cyah beat 15 men again and  you have to run onto a ball dropped right behind the defender...no matter who u are.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »
Unfortunately today wasnt a good day for African coaches. For years ive heard Africans say that their teams need to stop hiring third rate european coaches and while that maybe true, their first rate coaches did have the better teams and failed to claim victories. I did not get to watch alot of the US Ghana game but from what i read Ghana had all the possession but struggled to get many shots on target during the game. I did watch the whole Nigeria game and it was clear to me Keshi was outcoached. He played 2 defensively minded MF from the start, when the whole world knew Iran was gonna play on the counter with only two attackers. It was no surprise when Nigeria struggled to break down Iran. It took him 70' to take off one of the Defensive MFs. I didn't understand his methods he was playing Iran not Bosnia or Argentina. I guess if the African teams are gonna play like europeans they might as well hire european coaches.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
Well, isn't most of them playing in Europe?

Our team that went to the world cup in 2006, we play European football too.

Sam that may be the answer to the riddles there.  But there is something to be said for a clash of ideologies I think when it comes to coaching and how the players carry out their roles.   

Kounty you over simplifying it a bit.  If some is encouraged to take on players why not the African brand?  It is not far fetch to say that the Euro leagues ruin many players.   

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
Unfortunately today wasnt a good day for African coaches. For years ive heard Africans say that their teams need to stop hiring third rate european coaches and while that maybe true, their first rate coaches did have the better teams and failed to claim victories. I did not get to watch alot of the US Ghana game but from what i read Ghana had all the possession but struggled to get many shots on target during the game. I did watch the whole Nigeria game and it was clear to me Keshi was outcoached. He played 2 defensively minded MF from the start, when the whole world knew Iran was gonna play on the counter with only two attackers. It was no surprise when Nigeria struggled to break down Iran. It took him 70' to take off one of the Defensive MFs. I didn't understand his methods he was playing Iran not Bosnia or Argentina. I guess if the African teams are gonna play like europeans they might as well hire european coaches.

DW any time Ghana forwards and wingers press toward goal there was trouble for US.  Sadly, most of the time they spent trying to do the cross thing.  Ironicly, the first US goal came the way the Ghana goal came forced the defenders to make a play or get a goal. 

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:29 PM »
Ghana coach is cyat..they should fire him immediately....how could one be so clueless as to not change tactics...there are three ways to get around a wall..you can go over you can go around or you can go through..so obviously you're going over the top and it's not working...change it tell your forwards to drive at the defenders and lay it off....the us defenders iffy force them into mistakes...
now I have to listen to that jackass Lalas

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
I disagree. I like Ghana brand this evening (besides defending corners). takin men on in spurts. cote d'ivoire, Cameroon...maybe one man cyah beat 15 men again and  you have to run onto a ball dropped right behind the defender...no matter who u are.
what brand clueless in the attacking third?????

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:10:48 AM »
Possession is 9 tenths of the law Preacher :)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
kwadwo asamoah was to be used offensively not stuck in the defence. he is one of their best players..what a waste..ah vex

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:10 AM »
I will take 21 shots on goal against the US any day. (Not saying no work need to be done, but I can't discount what there).

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
So men still think that Maradonna and Pele would dribble through defenses today?

The footballing world is small and there are no silver bullets anymore. You basically know what each team will do, just who can do it more effectively. Nowadays, not having the ball is the way many teams are going.

You have to adapt or you will never get anywhere. We want kaisoca soccer in 2014 when it got us nowhere in 1989. The Africans teams never one anything playing their way, so guess what. They are trying something different. Unlike T&T.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
The Africans teams never one anything playing their way, so guess what. They are trying something different. Unlike T&T.

Is not like the European teams ever won anything... not sure why anybody trying to emulate them.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
So men still think that Maradonna and Pele would dribble through defenses today?

The footballing world is small and there are no silver bullets anymore. You basically know what each team will do, just who can do it more effectively. Nowadays, not having the ball is the way many teams are going.

You have to adapt or you will never get anywhere. We want kaisoca soccer in 2014 when it got us nowhere in 1989. The Africans teams never one anything playing their way, so guess what. They are trying something different. Unlike T&T.

Nope!!   There's a little story you may not know of.  It's about a team that was formed by a chain of islands in the Caribbean and for many years that team from those islands were literally mocked and ridiculed for their brand of play.  Until they decided that enough was enough.  Now instead of going to England and Australia for them to teach them us it's really done, technically.  They believed in themselves and developed their OWN BRAND..played to their OWN STRENGTHS.   And for 15 years they DOMINATED THE SPORT. Heck they invented the terms surrender and declare.   What that team was able to do has never been done anywhere else in any sport ever.  So I will never buy the well marketed idea by Euro that somehow our players are not technically adept and are mentally weak. 

And don't assume that Messi and Ronaldo is the only 2 men that can dribble 2-3 men in today's came.   The status quo is deathly afraid of coming up against 2-3 Usan Bolts, 4 Latapys, 3 Dwights... and others.   The best way to kill that is to teach from early that who they are and how they think aren't cultured enough to win and their strengthens are really weaknesses.   

And Bakes....  Plain Talk dey with that point. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:11:23 PM by Preacher »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »

hard to score with US playing 8-9 men behind the ball throughout most of the game... they defended well, ghana did some great work but needed to keep that up to penetrate.. the ghana team last world cup that i saw was a better team imo... this team lacking bite or is it the coach?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »

Nope!!   There's a little story you may not know of.  It's about a team that was formed by a chain of islands in the Caribbean and for many years that team from those islands were literally mocked and ridiculed for their brand of play.  Until they decided that enough was enough.  Now instead of going to England and Australia for them to teach them us it's really done, technically.  They believed in themselves and developed their OWN BRAND..played to their OWN STRENGTHS.   And for 15 years they DOMINATED THE SPORT. Heck they invented the terms surrender and declare.   What that team was able to do has never been done anywhere else in any sport ever.  So I will never buy the well marketed idea by Euro that somehow our players are not technically adept and are mentally weak. 

And don't assume that Messi and Ronaldo is the only 2 men that can dribble 2-3 men in today's came.   The status quo is deathly afraid of coming up against 2-3 Usan Bolts, 4 Latapys, 3 Dwights... and others.   The best way to kill that is to teach from early that who they are and how they think aren't cultured enough to win and their strengthens are really weaknesses.   

:beermug:

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
I will take 21 shots on goal against the US any day. (Not saying no work need to be done, but I can't discount what there).
what did 21 shots earn Ghana? how many points? How many of those shots were really threatening?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »
The Africans teams never one anything playing their way, so guess what.

Actually Ghana won Olympic bronze. Cameroon won Olympic gold and Nigeria won Olympic gold beating both Brazil and Arg. who had big name players on their Olympic squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_1996_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men's_team_squads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2000_Summer_Olympics#Medal_table
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:23:37 PM by Deeks »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »

Ghana took 21 shots, but only 3 were on goal.

USA took 8, putting 6 on goal.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »

Wait is cricket you talking? lol

yep, let's believe and go win a world cup.

And read Bakes post again.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
i know teams cyah just ups and play a whole different brand from game to game. but who brand you showing promise?

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
Big step for Africa. For the first time in history they have more than one team beyond the group stage of the World Cup: Algeria and Nigeria.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Color me surprised. Would not have thought that this was the first time that happened.
 :beermug: :beermug: to them. A little bit of luck and it could have been 3 (Ghana).
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
Ironically, Ghana and Ivory Coast played better than the two that made it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »
I like Ghana, out off all the African sides. I do have issues with the goalkeeping their defence, though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12:18 PM »
I like Ghana, out off all the African sides. I do have issues with the goalkeeping their defence, though.

They all have defensive issues. A common trend is that their forwards and midfielders hardly ever do any pressing. Their opponents tend to get a free pass to the halfway line. Dey just flat out poor. Men making lateral passes in de back when it have opposing forwards lurking. Instead of playing where dey facing, defenders trying roly poly and other fancy shit.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
Ironically, Ghana and Ivory Coast played better than the two that made it.

Can't speak for Ivory Coast but I did enjoy watching Ghana.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>