March 28, 2024, 10:05:24 AM

Author Topic: Cato brings speed, determination, composure to Quakes  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cato brings speed, determination, composure to Quakes
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
Cato brings speed, determination, composure to Quakes
Richter Media (SJEarthquakes.com)

Midfielder Cordell Cato doesn’t always start for the Earthquakes, but when he does take the field, look out!

He can finish.

In fact, Cato, a 21-year-old Trinidadian flash, scored the winner in a 2-1 victory over Sacramento Republic FC at Kezar Stadium in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup. The clutch goal showed off much of what Cato brings to the table: speed, determination, composure and a flare for the dramatic.

He collected a ball sent in from the left, caught the goalkeeper too far off his line and found the net.

“He worked hard and was dangerous, and he got a big goal for us,” coach Mark Watson said. “He got better and better as the night went on.”

Watson sees plenty of promise in Cato, for sure.

“He’s doesn’t get over-awed by the big stage,” Watson said. “He’s still a very young guy. He’s probably played 20 games in the league. He’s got a really bright future. … There’s a lot more in him, too. If he keeps his work rate up and stays focused on the game, he’s going to have a really bright future.”

After losing his starting spot before a 0-0 draw with the Colorado Rapids on April 13, Cato expressed disappointment and vowed to stay prepared. The game at Kezar Stadium served as more evidence of that mindset.

“It’s just a matter of him waiting for his time and doing well, and he’s done that this year,” Watson said. “We’ve added Atiba (Harris). We’ve added Yannick (Djalo), who has played wing. If he stays focused and keeps working hard, his chances will come.”

It didn’t take long for Cato to have an impact this season. In a 1-1 home draw with Mexican power Deportivo Toluca FC on March 11 at Buck Shaw Stadium, Cato thrived in space out wide. His majestic cross in the 55th minute found Chris Wondolowski, but Wondo’s one-time blast was stopped.

He started and scored in a memorable 2-1 win over FC Dallas on May 10 – his first goal of the MLS season. The game was notable because the Quakes played a man down the entire second half. Also notable about Cato’s goal was the fact that Clarence Goodson, who flicked the ball ahead to Cato, earned his first assist with the Earthquakes, and Jon Busch, who’d passed to Goodson, earned the first assist of his 14-year MLS career.Versatility helps Cato see more time on the field. Cato played in the back in a 3-3 draw against Real Salt Lake in the 2014 MLS opener; he also logged a yeoman-like 120 minutes at Toluca at nearly 9,000 feet elevation on March 19.

Cato was acquired in a March 2013 trade with Seattle for a 2014 draft pick. He had one goal and two assists in 20 appearances last season, after making his Quakes’ debut against Real Salt Lake on March 3.

In the U.S. Open Cup, Cato knew what to expect from Sacramento Republic FC, the Earthquakes’ formidable affiliate. He was up to the challenge.

“We played them in preseason and we know that they were a hard-working team that could cause problems for us. … Full credit to them for a well-played game,” he said.

Quiet off the field, Cato is not lacking in strong opinions. Watson finds his candor refreshing. After the Toluca coach was dismissive of the Earthquakes’ more physical style of play at Buck Shaw Stadium, Cato shot back, saying “it doesn’t matter what he says. … We play and we get results, and that’s all the matters.”

Cato, who has made eight starts and 12 appearances this season, discussed his mindset recently to MLSsoccer.com.

“Off the field, I’m as quiet as the most-quiet person, but I still want to win, just as much as anybody else,” he said. “I still get mad when we lose. It’s the same. It’s just not out there for everyone to see.”

Cato showed promise playing for Trinidad & Tobago in the 2011 CONCACAF under-20 championships. After his time in Seattle, he has 10 starts among 20 appearances with the Quakes in 2013.

Now, he’s poised for his next opportunity, like a dragster waiting for the light to turn green.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cato brings speed, determination, composure to Quakes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
Hope he is included in the team for the Caribbean Cup.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:47 AM »
He has many years to come, lets hope he can bump up those goals and assists before the Carib Cup.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
How has he not been called up to the senior squad?

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:49 AM »
Good going Cato. BraveHart is watching and knows that you will be competing for Peltier's spot as he knows you both are the same type of player pelting dong the wing. You will be in the mix for 2018 World Cup qualifiers for sure as we need at least 2 players for each spot. If Peltier makes any style and say he too busy to come for Caribbean Cup, then BraveHart and Sheldon will be sendin' you ticket immediately. Big up.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »
How has he not been called up to the senior squad?

I was surprised to see Caesar in instead of him - the manager saw him play and I guess saw some awesomeness there. He's definitely there and there abouts, but he's got fierce competition from Plaza and Winchester

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:49 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJOLXqi3zq8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zJOLXqi3zq8</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
I would certainly like to see this guy on the team. He appears to be developing a la Valencia from United. He , Molino, Plaza, Marcus Joseph. We need some mid fielders though. We need them bad.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
I would certainly like to see this guy on the team. He appears to be developing a la Valencia from United. He , Molino, Plaza, Marcus Joseph. We need some mid fielders though. We need them bad.

So why our so called best domestic league in the Caribbean aka TT Pro League is not producing any of your likeing?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »

So why our so called best domestic league in the Caribbean aka TT Pro League is not producing any of your likeing?

Bluntly, it isn't right now the best - I'd say Jamaica probably have a better league, with Cuba and Haiti also potential competitors for that crown (but less likely).

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

Dude, I where know where allyuh come with this TT pro-league is the best in the Carib. Is people on this forum who putting out these ratings. But you should ask yourself, what criteria they are using to make that judgement. We keep producing one or two good players, but I seriously doubt our pro-league is the best in the Caribbean.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »

Dude, I where know where allyuh come with this TT pro-league is the best in the Carib. Is people on this forum who putting out these ratings. But you should ask yourself, what criteria they are using to make that judgement. We keep producing one or two good players, but I seriously doubt our pro-league is the best in the Caribbean.

Lack of competition really :( Cuba's varies from year to year as clubs represent an area and aren't separate entities AFAIK (well, not in the traditional sense). Haitian teams get huge crowds, but lack professionalism on the same scale. Guyanese teams are making large strides, but the FA has had a shakey relations with the clubs. Jamaica represents a proper competition as their leagues are more competitive and their players seem to get roughly the same if not more changes abroad as compared to T&T.

There are growing threats (but probability is small) - the ABC islands are making interesting strides, and the Guyanas also seem to have strong clubs and strong players. If the latter three got their act together, T&T's position could be seriously threatened (seriously look at all the Dutch legends who are Surinamese in descent or birth).

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »

The problem is that no Caribbean league is exposed outside of its borders. Ideally, we could watch a game from various nations which would give a better comparison. Many Caribbean players want to play Pro League, but that could be because the money is better.

Rating National teams as a barometer of a leagues strength doesn't work. For instance, if people thought St Lucia had made advances in their national team, that would more likely be due to the TT Pro League not any St Lucian league.

England are a good example = great league, but under performing national team.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »

The problem is that no Caribbean league is exposed outside of its borders. Ideally, we could watch a game from various nations which would give a better comparison. Many Caribbean players want to play Pro League, but that could be because the money is better.

Rating National teams as a barometer of a leagues strength doesn't work. For instance, if people thought St Lucia had made advances in their national team, that would more likely be due to the TT Pro League not any St Lucian league.

England are a good example = great league, but under performing national team.

Lemme echo this as well - NTs for Caribbean islands can depend on whether they can lure the diaspora to play for them - imagine how much better Jamaica would be if they got all those players who declared for England hah.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »

Right. I was being sarcastic and I asked you the question in that way because a lot of my countrymen have a superior football complex when discussing Caribbean football because of the TT Pro League.  Even if its true that the Pro League is the best in the Caribbean then why does it even matter if it's not producing consistent quality players to boost the national team chances at World Cup qualification.

I will still keep my fingers crossed and stay positive when the road Russia begins but there are problems that need to be addressed quickly
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:54:03 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
I asked you the question in that way because a lot of my countrymen have a superior football complex when discussing Caribbean football because of the TT Pro League.

The reason Trinis does big up the league is because for the past 10 yrs or so, the Trinis teams have represented the Carbbean the most. Their performances has been good to mediocre. JA club teams don't always participate. I can't say when last I saw a Cuban or Haitian club in the CL. Guyanese club, Alpha, knocking on the door. Suriname clubs have fallen badly over the past 3 decades. PR club, Islander was hot a couple years ago. That's it.

I think we are producing decent forwards and ok defenders. But for some reason midfield talent is woeful. I just can't put my finger as to why is that.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »
CHECK OUT the assist Cordell Cato provides for the equalizer for San Jose Earthquakes against Seattle Sounders. He delivers a cross with pinpoint accuracy after dealing with US World Cup defender DeAndre Yedlin.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ObDzyTcZzXk&amp;start=239" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ObDzyTcZzXk&amp;start=239</a>

Mark Watson – San Jose Earthquakes Head Coach
(On Cordell Cato’s performance…)
“Cordell was good. We made the change at halftime and he was able to bring some energy. DeAndre Yedlin is a good player who makes a lot of good runs and I thought Cordell did that well. He had some good moments going forward and obviously delivered the cross to set Wondolowski up for the goal. He had a good night.”

POST-GAME quotes from Cato
(On coming back to Seattle…) “I think it was fun, being out there. Getting in and making an impact in the game is just great.”

(On the cross he made that led to Wondolowki’s goal…) “It was more the defender than me. He dropped off and allowed me the space, so I did what you’re supposed to do, keep it in the box.”

(On putting a few moves on Yedlin…) “[laughs] Of course. I mean, I did a couple of step-overs to create the space and I put the ball in a good spot and Wondo does what he usually does, you know, finish.”

(On whether it was a satisfying draw…) “I think so. We’ll take the point and move on to Philly.”

Chris Wondolowski – Earthquakes Forward
(On his goal off the cross from Cordell Cato…)
“Cordell did a great job. He’s a great player one-on-one and he was able to get the cross and zip it across the goal mouth and I was there to tap it in.”

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/soccer/2014/08/20/quakes-rebound-cato-singles-out-yedlin/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:58:09 AM by Tallman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:52 AM »
This dude should be on the TT team. No ifs or buts! Also Houghton Hector.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
Ah glad for we boy, but that was what pinpoint accuracy cross?

That look like a f00cking lame and lucky cross.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »

Agree, we finally agree.

Wha happen de de Holder keeper we had too?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »

Agree, we finally agree.

Thorne Holder. I thought he was in Philly at one time.Not sure where he is.

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Yeah I watch the whole game because I follow Sounders. San Jose were struggling on the right side and couldn't deal with Yedlin's pace. When Cato came on he was able to match him. He did a good run there and the one mistake Yedlin made all night( In an otherwise perfect game) cost Sounders the win. I think Cato is happy to get one-up on a Tottenham-bound player so he singled him out. But really who the heck left Wando unmarked in the box. Just as much Marshall's fault as it was Yedlin's.

My loyalties are so split here. :frustrated:

But good job on Cato's part. Hope they start him and give him more playing time.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »

Agree, we finally agree.

Thorne Holder. I thought he was in Philly at one time.Not sure where he is.
He was. I believe they let him go sometime in the preseason last year.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »

It was a bit lucky but watching the whole game, he played well and brought his team back.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »

It was a bit lucky but watching the whole game, he played well and brought his team back.
Lucky? Ball bounce off the keeper and the CB and still reach Wondo. But say what, yuh make yuh own luck. Cato see a good opportunity, take a good chance and it work out. :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
It was a pinpoint accurate cross that should've been cut out. It was both.

1]; } ?>