April 26, 2024, 12:51:03 PM

Author Topic: 2015 Under-20 FIFA World Cup Thread.  (Read 129246 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Under-20 FIFA World Cup Thread.
« Reply #690 on: June 16, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
Thiam making sparks fly for Senegal
FIFA.com

Senegal are on fire at the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 and no one has burned brighter for their cause than flame-haired striker Mamadou Thiam. The African side got off to a tough start with a 3-0 loss to Portugal, but it was Thiam who lit the spark in their second outing, finding the net against Colombia in a 1-1 draw.

He then kept the flame alive in their 2-1 defeat of Qatar and Round of 16 success against Ukraine, before blazing with even more intensity in the quarter-finals, scoring the only goal to see off Uzbekistan 1-0.

The heat now looks set to rise with Brazil next up in the last four, but – away from the pitch at least – Thiam remains ice cool. "We're happy to be where we are," he explained to FIFA.com. "We've done the job we had to do and let's not take away from that, but honestly I don't look at what we've done as a big deal.

"We've already moved on and now we're focused on Brazil. There's a lot of expectation back home. We just want to do whatever's necessary to make the people in Senegal happy, and that means carrying on as we have."

Although Les Lionceaux (Lion cubs) may be concentrating on the future, it is harder to picture any team enjoying a more perfect baptism of fire thus far. No debutants have reached the U-20 World Cup semi-finals since Ghana in 1993, but Thiam is not surprised at all by his side's achievements.

"When you look at it, Senegal have only ever been to one senior World Cup and they reached the quarter-finals. We're made to do well in big competitions. It's true that we can take our time qualifying, but once we get through we don't do things by half measures."

Senegal proved that beyond doubt when they made their FIFA World Cup™ bow at Korea/Japan 2002, reducing the hopes of defending champions France to ashes in a 1-0 win. The result sent shockwaves around the world and not least in France itself, where Thiam was born and raised.

It was there too that he progressed from amateur football to the professional game, spending time at Red Star and Drancy before joining current club Dijon. "But my country is Senegal," he said. "That's where my roots are. In fact, I go there as much as I can, any time I get some spare time."

Not only does the No19 have his roots in Senegal, he boasts national team DNA as well, with his father Pape Idrissa Thiam having turned out for the Lions of Teranga as a player and his grandfather Abdoulaye Thiam having coached the side in 1963.

"We have football in our blood," said the youngest of the trio. "Actually, they were the first people I thought of, as well as my other grandfather, who's a sports journalist, when the final whistle blew at the end of our match with Uzbekistan."

Despite that lineage, Thiam's father did not want him to follow in his footsteps, and took a long time before letting his son pursuing a career in the game. "He was absolutely determined that I should study until I was 18," said Thiam. "I'm aware that you mustn't take education lightly, but I've only ever thought about football.

"I just couldn't help it. And he couldn't get in the way of that passion. As a result, I don't have any other option than to succeed. It's out of the question for me to disappoint him. But I think he's proud of me. In any case, he never misses a game."

At the moment, how could he? Thiam has been in superb form since the U-20 World Cup began, making a nuisance of himself across the forward line to help Senegal advance. His goal against Los Cafeteros  was particularly impressive, Thiam losing his marker and dribbling past a pair of defenders before firing a calmly taken shot low into the corner.

And while his playing talents have grabbed a lot of attention, his bright orange hairstyle has caught the eye almost as much. "It's a bit of a nod to Gouye Gui, a very good friend of mine who's a wrestler and big star back home," he said. "He likes to dye his hair and I decided to do the same thing."

Of course, when Thiam decides on a course of action, nothing in the world can stop him – as his father would no doubt confirm. So, when the young forward insists he will settle for nothing less than the title in New Zealand, the rest of us should probably believe him. After all, anything else would be playing with fire.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 16, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
From the article above:

"But my country is Senegal," he said. "That's where my roots are. In fact, I go there as much as I can, any time I get some spare time."

Not only does the No19 have his roots in Senegal, he boasts national team DNA as well, with his father Pape Idrissa Thiam having turned out for the Lions of Teranga as a player and his grandfather Abdoulaye Thiam having coached the side in 1963.

"We have football in our blood," said the youngest of the trio. "Actually, they were the first people I thought of, as well as my other grandfather, who's a sports journalist, when the final whistle blew at the end of our match with Uzbekistan."

This what we need to instil in order to get foreign-born players to sign on to playing for T&T ... and to do so passionately.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 16, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »
All-African final a real chance
Jason Pine (The New Zealand Herald).

Pre-tournament, if it had been suggested that two African teams would make the semi-finals, there would have been a few raised eyebrows, but then general agreement it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

But the two teams from Africa you'd have expected to see in the final four would be Nigeria and Ghana.

Instead, it's Mali and Senegal who are still alive and ninety minutes away from the World Cup Final.

It's been a remarkable fortnight for rank outsiders Mali.

They started well, with a 2-0 win over Mexico in their first match and ensured their passage from a tough group with a 1-1 draw with Uruguay.

That fed them into an all-African round-of-16 clash with Ghana in Wellington. It turned out to be one of the best team performances of the tournament.

Mali took the game to their African neighbours and scored three absolutely superb goals.

Deep into the game they were still passing the ball in all parts of the ground to the delight of the crowd.

African teams have always been renowned for their physicality - and there are some enormous teenagers in their squads - but their passing game has progressed to the point where they are now the equal of many of the European and South American sides when it comes to ball retention.

But Mali couldn't beat Germany in the quarter-finals, could they?

When they went 1-0 down in Christchurch, it appeared normal service would resume and Mali would depart with heads held high, but ultimately eliminated in the quarter-finals.

Instead, they came roaring back and scored a lovely equaliser, forcing the game into extra-time and eventually a penalty shoot-out.

Surely though, that would be it. You can't beat Germany on penalties.

At 3-3, Mali's Adama Traore missed his spot-kick. This was it. Mali were going out, courageous, but finally defeated.

Instead, the Germans - always so clinical from twelve yards - missed not one, but incredibly two spot-kicks and Mali were through.

Mali were through. Astonishing.

In Wellington, Senegal became the second African team to make the final four, beating Uzbekistan 1-0. On the balance of chances and possession, they totally deserved it, limiting the Uzbekistanis to a solitary shot on target.

Regardless of that, Senegalese goalkeeper Ibrahima Sy still managed to catch the eye. His flamboyance and energy between the sticks has been a highlight of this tournament.

So here we are with the very real possibility that Saturday's World Cup final could be an all-African affair.

For that to happen, Mali will have to get past Serbia and Senegal need to topple Brazil.

It seems unlikely, but if this tournament has shown us anything, it's that we should expect things to happen which don't seem feasible.

It's entirely possible Mali could play Senegal in the final.

You'd get few complaints about that from fans who have delighted in the fearlessness and flair, the passing and panache, the stamina and the skill of the wonderful African sides at this World Cup.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 16, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/10-stars-u20-world-cup-who-could-interest-premier-league-teams

Amaral is the sole Uruguayan player to miss his PK versus Brazil ... sending Brazil into the semis. Have interacted with him. Very easygoing humble youth that a cadre of young ballers look up to. Hence I felt it for him when he missed that. He was in tears.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
Hard luck dey Senegal
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »
Just tuned in ... Brazil eh waste no time.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 16, 2015, 10:21:51 PM »
and is the same play each time, a one-two on the edge of the 18. Taking out 2 and 3 defenders easy.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 16, 2015, 10:37:11 PM »
a proper cut-ass now. and is still the first half.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 16, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
That 4th goal was ludicrous.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 16, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »
and now they down to 10 men.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
1 v 1 defending and Senegal ... smh.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »
1 v 1 defending and Senegal ... smh.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 17, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
All Africa 3rd place match. The consequence of all sorts of indiscipline. Make way for Ordem e Progresso. It's their championship to lose.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 17, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Five-star Brazil cruise to the final
FIFA.com

Brazil have booked their place in the FIFA U-20 World Cup final with a hugely impressive 5-0 victory over Senegal in Christchurch. The lopsided scoreline provided an accurate reflection of a match in which the South Americans were at their scintillating best, and their African opponents powerless to resist.

This last-four encounter was all but over inside seven minutes, in fact, with Senegal floored by two crushing early blows. The first was self-inflicted, with the luckless Andelinou Correa turning the ball into his own net in an attempt to cut out right-back Joao Pedro's low cross from the byline. And worse was to follow for Joseph Koto's side just a couple of minutes later. This time, there was no element of luck involved, with classy No10 Gabriel Jesus bursting from midfield and threading a lovely pass into the path of Marcos Guilherme. The Atletico Paranaense forward then obliged with an equally impressive finish, firing clinically into the net from just inside the box.

Brazil might have looked to protect their lead at this stage, but relying on defence doesn't appear to be in the mindset of a team reviving the great traditions of adventurous, attack-minded Seleção sides. By the 19th minute, and after Gabriel Jesus had struck the post with another fine effort, their lead had been stretched yet further.

Real Madrid's Jean Carlos showed fine skill on the left and delivered an inviting low cross that keeper Ibrahima Sy could reach, but not quite hold. When the ball ran loose, Boschilia took full advantage, swooping in decisively to slot home from close range.

Senegal did have moments of their own, and only a brilliant reflex save from Jean was enough to divert Sidy Sarr's ferociously struck volley on to the crossbar soon after. But Brazil retired to the dressing rooms at half-time assured of their place in the final, having made it 4-0 with eight minutes of the opening 45 remaining.

It was a terrific goal and, again, a full-back was at the heart of the attacking action. Jorge took centre stage on this occasion, drifting away from a couple of Senegalese challenges before slotting home a composed finish to put his team out of sight.

Already with an impossibly high mountain to climb, the Africans' task became tougher still in the closing stages of the half when they were reduced to ten men.  Elimane Cisse was already on a yellow card when he snapped into a rash challenge on Marcos Guilherme, and the ensuing red was both inevitable and just.

The pace dropped in the second period, with Brazil preserving energy and Senegal unable to muster any kind of comeback. But Marcos Guilherme remained lively and, after testing the reflexes of Sy from 20 yards, he wrapped up the win with a well-worked fifth goal.

Much of the credit on this occasion belonged to Boschilia, who provided an excellent assist. The midfielder had ghosted into the box and was in a good position to shoot, with only the keeper to beat, but saw his team-mate even better placed and passed unselfishly for Marcos Guilherme to fire into the unguarded net.

Brazil now march on to Auckland's North Harbour Stadium, where they will hope to secure a sixth U-20 World Cup title on Saturday against either Serbia or Mali.

Match Highlights

Rogerio Micale, Brazil coach
We are very happy and proud. I didn’t expect a score like this due to the quality of the Senegal team, but we made the most of our opportunities today. We’ve had some good games and we’ve had some problems, but as a team we’ve grown through those difficult matches. Today everyone played perfectly. We had great momentum between our sectors and our team has reinvented themselves in this match. Both our defence and offense have been amazing and we have been in very good form. This match was very important for us. We were able to create chances and were very effective in front of the goal. This gives us confidence going into the final and at this point in the competition it is very important. I am very happy with my team as a whole. When no one scores against us that shows that our defence is working well and it has been a whole team effort.

Joseph Koto, Senegal coach
I really want to congratulate Brazil on their win. They showed more envy and engagement and the best team won today. Football has days with and days without and this was a day without for Senegal. Brazil has had a good run and today almost all their balls went in while ours did not. It has been a great adventure and achievement for us with this being the first time we have ever qualified at this level. Our goal on arrival was to get out of the group stage and we did that. We have done very well and only lost one match due to our lack of experience. Our team has had a good attitude and God has helped us in our victories. In football you have to know how to lose and we expected that one day we would. We wish Brazil well for the remaining match going into the final.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 17, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »
Saponjic strikes to send Serbia through
FIFA.com

Ivan Saponjic celebrates his goal.

Ivan Saponjic scored a dramatic extra-time winner as Serbia beat Mali 2-1 at Auckland's North Harbour Stadium to set up a FIFA U-20 World Cup final with Brazil. Not for the first time at New Zealand 2015, the substitute was the Europeans' hero, with his goal settling an enthralling and evenly contested match that had earlier been punctuated by strikes from Andrija Zivkovic and Youssouf Kone, with the latter receiving a red card in extra time.

Serbia were returning to the scene of their quarter-final win over USA and, having ended that game on a high, they begun this one the same way. It took just four minutes, in fact, for them to take a deserved early lead, with Andrija Zivkovic the scorer. The lively No11 was allowed time and space to run through on goal and pick his spot with a low left-footed shot into the corner after Souleymane Coulibaly had failed in his attempts to cut out Nemanja Maksimovic's threaded through pass.

Ahead and on top, Serbia looked to reinforce their advantage and should have gone two in front nine minutes later. But having been caught out for the goal, Coulibaly was able to come to Mali's rescue, clearing off the line with his keeper stranded after Stanisa Mandic had cut the ball back for Sergei Milinkovic to strike at goal.

The Africans were living dangerously at this stage and on 21 minutes had another near escape. Serbia again cut through their ranks easily, with Andrija Zivkovic and Malin Gajic combining well on the right to set up Stanisa Mandic. But while the latter's low cross found Serbia's No9 just five yards out, his touch was too faint and the ball flicked off his right boot and wide of the far post.

At this stage, it looked to be only a matter of time before Mali fell further behind. However, as the half wore on, their nerve steadied and they began to create some openings of their own. No-one, though, could have envisaged them levelling matters in the spectacular style they did. The goal came out of nothing, with Youssouf Kone gathering possession in an unthreatening position on the left, over 30 yards from goal, and stunning everyone - not least keeper Predrag Rajkovic - with a ferociously struck left-foot shot that skidded into the bottom-right corner.

If there any were question marks about Rajkovic's reactions for the goal - however good the strike was - he reaffirmed his worth a couple of minutes later. Souleymane Diarra had jinked in from the left and fired in a shot that was heading for the roof of the net until the Serbia keeper reacted instinctively, sticking out a hand to brilliantly tip over.

Mali, having been hanging on, suddenly looked the more likely winners. This continued at the start of the second half, with Diadie Samassekou playing in Diedonne Gbakle only for the latter to hesitate at the crucial moment, allowing Rajkovic to narrow the angle and block from his weakly struck shot.

Serbia were struggling at the other end but, with 18 minutes remaining, a moment of pure inspiration nearly settled the game in their favour. Milan Gajic was the player who supplied it, controlling a dropping ball on his instep 30 yards from goal and crashing in a superb dipping volley. Sadly for the midfielder, the ball bounced down off the crossbar and landed a couple of centimetres in front of the line.

That left extra time to settle the outcome, and Saponjic to steal the headlines. The forward had come off the bench to become Serbia's hero in the last 16 against Hungary and he was their super sub again, scoring the goal that took his team through to a historic final. Zivkovic once more played his part with a flighted corner and when Milos Veljkovic rose highest to knock the ball back across goal, Saponjic was on hand to nod the ball home.

Mali rarely looked like battling back thereafter and their cause was further hampered with eight minutes of extra time remaining when goalscorer Kone received a second yellow card. He will now miss the third-place play-off against Senegal, while Serbia can look ahead excitedly to their decisive meeting with Brazil.

Match Highlights

Veljko Paunovic, Serbia coach
Before I say anything about my team, I want to first congratulate Mali for the great football they played and wish them good luck for what I'm sure will be a great future. They really impressed me. I am proud of our achievement and it means a lot for our country, which is still rebuilding after a tough time. In every game, we've brought our own style and played with heart. Mali had most of the possession today but we defended well and fought as one. We also created more chances than they did. We didn't always play the way we wanted but the problem was more of a physical one as this was our third straight match that has gone to extra time. When we beat Mali in the group stage, it was quite a similar game, but we were better physically. We expected the problems they posed us today but we just couldn't respond as well and found it tough against their fitness and energy. We need to improve in that respect. But my guys are doing really well here and they are making history for their team, themselves and their country.

Fanyeri Diarra, Mali coach
We didn't start well but when we equalised I thought that was going to be the most important moment of the game for us. We definitely played well after scoring. Right until the end, we believed in our own strengths and felt we could win the game. But my players are inexperienced and, in the end, that was the main reason for our defeat. They were really brave all match long though and now I really want third-place for them. We will do everything to make that happen for our team and our people. Everyone back home has been really happy with our success during this tournament, mainly because it has been quite an unexpected story.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
Of the 24 nations that qualified for the U20 WC, 9 of them have qualified for the 2015 U17 WC also.

The only UEFA country in the nine is Germany, but three of the CONCACAF participants are the same (HON, MEX, and USA).

The AFC have 4 completely different teams here compared to the four that will compete in Chile in October.

The other countries include: Argentina, Brazil and New Zealand. No surprise as these are typically the dominant teams in their respective confederations.

However, the country that catches the eye is Mali. This points to a promising future for them.

Nigeria rounds out the list, but is also no surprise.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
Mali was fantastic!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 19, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
Mali had 3 nice goals against Senegal in an entertaining game

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Traore stars as Mali bag bronze
FIFA.com

Adama Traore was the hero as Mali clinched third spot at the FIFA U-20 World Cup, scoring two and setting up a third in a 3-1 win over ten-man Senegal at Auckland's North Harbour Stadium. The victory was no more than Fanyeri Diarra's side deserved for a fine display and an outstanding tournament, and it came in a thrilling match that also included two saved penalties and further goals from Diadie Samassekou and Senegal's Ibrahima Wadji.

It was amid driving and incessant rain that the teams produced such an open, entertaining and evenly contested encounter, with plenty of goalmouth action throughout. The tone was set as early as the opening minute, when Hamidou Traore's deflected shot looked to be heading for the net until it rebounded to safety off the head of Mali team-mate Lassine Konate.

The Malians undoubtedly enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges and came closer still to an opener ten minutes later. This time Aboubacar Doumbia was the man in focus, passing inside to Hamidou Traore and continuing his run to race on to the perfectly weighted return. But with Ibrahima Sy narrowing the angle, he went for the chip and his connection was just too heavy, sending the ball floating over the crossbar.

Senegal improved as the half wore on and had their moments too, with Djigui Diarra twice forced into excellent saves, first from a powerful Roger Gomis shot and then from a looping Sidy Sarr header. However, their cause was dealt a major blow in the closing seconds of the first 45 when Moussa Ba earned a second yellow card for a body-check on Souleymane Diarra.

The Lions of Teranga remained continued to hold their own, though, and it was no huge surprise when they took the lead 18 minutes into the second half. Sarr, always a danger in the air, played a crucial role in flicking on a long ball, and Ibrahima Wadji reacted quickest, bustling his way into a shooting position and angling a left-foot shot just inside the right-hand post. It wasn't the most powerful of shots but its accuracy was sufficient to beat the goalkeeper, and left everyone awaiting Mali's response.

It didn't take long to arrive. Just ten minutes later, they were level thanks to one of the best set pieces of the tournament. Traore was the man responsible, curling a picture-perfect free-kick up and over the wall and beyond the helpless Ibrahima Sy at the top-right corner.

Mali were in the ascendancy now but missed a glorious chance to move in front soon after when Falaye Sacko failed from the spot, firing in a poor penalty that was easily saved by Sy. The rebound was then headed over by Samassekou.

The Malians would not be denied, though, and Traore again proved the hero with seven minutes remaining. This goal was even better than his first, with the left-footed forward somehow twisting away from three Senegal defenders before cracking an unstoppable 25-yard shot - remarkably, with his weaker foot - just inside the right-hand post.

The drama wasn't yet over, though, because a second saved penalty - this time at the other end - had the crowd on their feet, with Mali's Djigui Diarra parrying Malick Niang's initial kick and then pushing away the rebound from Mamadou Thiam. And there was still time for some added sheen to be added to the scoreline for the victors, with Samassekou atoning for his early miss with a smart finish, having been set up by Traore's clever first-time flick.

Match Highlights

Joseph Koto, Senegal coach
It is a painful defeat for me. We controlled the match in the first match and were really well organised after we had gone in front. But we had to make some changes at the start of the second half that affected that organisation. Naturally, the red card led to those changes. In the end, Mali deserved their win today. They played really well. But we also played well, particularly when you consider the injury problems we had and the fatigue the players are suffering after playing six matches - one every three days. We would have loved to have finished third but we will remain calm and continue working hard with this talented group of players.

Fanyeri Diarra, Mali coach

We've come a long way in this tournament and have been proud to represent Africa. And we're very happy today. Adama Traore (with two goals and an assist) did a great job for us. He is a great player and I have no doubt he has a great future in the game. We've had a great run in this competition and the outcome is very positive. For Africa, it has been great having two teams in the last four, and I want to congratulate Senegal too. Nigeria and Ghana were also strong, and I think African teams have defended their colours extremely well in this tournament. We've proven that, with the right resources, African teams will get results.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:51:51 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:15 PM »
Final is tonight.  I trying to stay up.

Goal Serbia!

Gol de Brasil!

Goal Serbia!
These youths wukkin real hard.  A hint of offside for that one, I didn't see a good replay yet.
Good game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:29:10 AM by Peong »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 20, 2015, 03:43:05 AM »
Maksimovic leaves it late to seal historic win
FIFA.com

Serbia left it late to win their first ever FIFA U-20 World Cup title, with Nemanja Maksimovic grabbing a dramatic extra time winner to seal victory. He had earlier set up Stanisa Mandic to open the scoring before substitute Andreas Pereira sent the game to extra time with a leveller for Brazil, who dominated possession but were undone by swift Serbian counter-attacks.

After a cagey start by both teams, Brazil had the opening opportunity. Milos Veljkovic headed a dangerous-looking Brazilian free-kick as far as Jean Carlos on the edge of the Serbian penalty area. The Seleção No20 volleyed a vicious effort at goal with his right foot, but Predrag Rajkovic got down to push the ball away.

Serbia had the best opportunity of the opening half. Just before the interval, Serbia's star man Andrija Zivkovic whipped a corner to the back post from the Serbian right, which was headed back across goal by Babic. Sergej Milinkovic had a free header on goal, but Jean got down to save smartly.

Brazil were quickest out of the blocks after the break. Jorge worked the ball well down the Brazilian left, into the Serbian penalty area, before firing in a low cross. Rajkovic parried, Antonov poked away and Seleção skipper Danilo hit a wild effort over the bar from the edge of the box.

Serbia then fired a warning shot across Brazil's bows, with some threatening play down their right flank. Milan Gajic and Zivkovic linked up well, with the full-back breaking into the Brazilian box on the underlap. The Serbian No2 hit a vicious shot at goal, which Jean saved well.

That warning was not heeded by Brazil as Serbia once again worked an opening down their right-hand side. This time, it resulted in the final's opening goal.

Maksimovic burst into the Brazilian penalty area down that right-hand side and chipped a delicate cross to the back post. Stanisa Mandic drifted in from the left-hand side, taking advantage of some slack defending by Joao Carlos to sweep home from inside the six yard box.

The lead didn't last long. Less than three minutes later, Andreas Pereira produced a moment of individual magic to level the scores. Having come on as a substitute less than ten minutes earlier, Brazil's No18 worked his way into the Serbian penalty area and cut inside onto his right foot before placing the ball with wonderful precision past Rajkovic in the Serbian goal. Pereira had a late chance to seal victory in the 90 minutes, but Rajkovic parried his free-kick away, meaning the fourth U-20 World Cup final in a row would require extra time to find a victor.

As well as heavy legs for those involved, the Auckland weather added another dimension of difficulty to extra time, with driving rain making conditions difficult for both sets of players.

Substitute Malcom proved a thorn in Serbia's left-hand side throughout extra time. After breaking through once and being foiled by Rajkovic, the speedy winger found himself clear of the Serbian defence and one-on-one with Serbia's goalkeeper again. His effort was cleared by Milos Veljkovic before first Andreas Pereira and then Jean Carlos were thwarted by some last-ditch Serbian defending.

Serbia then began to create openings of their own in the second period of extra time, with Maksimovic cutting inside onto his right foot and thumping an effort at goal which fizzed just over the stretching Jean's crossbar. Joao Pedro then matched that strike, hitting a swerving effort from distance which Rajkovic tipped over.

But it was to be Maksimovic who would write his name into the history books. His late, late strike came after a lung-busting run with just three minutes remaining. Zivkovic's through ball found the onrushing No8 who, after glancing at the assistant referee to check he was onside, poked the ball past Jean to seal a historic victory for the Serbs.

Match Highlights

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 20, 2015, 03:47:46 AM »
My team of the tournament
Jason Pine (The New Zealand Herald).

With just the final two matches remaining, here's my team of the under-20 World Cup.

Predrag Rajkovic (Serbia):
The Serbian custodian has been an ever-present between the sticks for Serbia, making more saves (20) than any other goalkeeper at the tournament. A massive presence.

Grischa Proemel (Germany): An assured defender and expert man-marker, Proemel was a mainstay in the German defence and also contributed in the front-third, scoring goals against Fiji and Honduras.

Milos Veljkovic (Serbia):
The giant central defender is on the books of English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and has played every minute of his side's campaign, during which they've conceded just three goals in over ten hours of football.

Bill Tuiloma (New Zealand):
The Junior All Whites' skipper was easily his side's best player. The Marseille defender looked right at home among some of the world's best youngsters and his outstanding performance against Portugal was further proof of his huge potential. A future All Whites captain.

Jorge (Brazil): The stylish Flamengo left-back has caught the eye as part of an unbreachable Brazilian rearguard, but also showed a nose for goal, slotting home beautifully after a mazy run against Senegal in the semi-final.

Emerson Hyndman (USA):
The USA skipper was exceptional, covering every blade of grass and contributing hugely in attack and defence. He scored goals in the pool play wins over Myanmar and New Zealand and was at the heart of his side's run to the quarter-finals.

Marc Stendera (Germany): Stendera expertly steered Germany through pool play, scoring four goals and assuming the role of his team's main playmaker. His departure after just ten minutes against Mali in the quarter-finals after a knock to the head dealt Germany's hopes a fatal blow.

Dieudonne Gbakle (Mali):
The elegant French-based midfielder announced himself with a lovely strike in Mali's first-up win over Mexico and then scored one of the goals of the tournament against Ghana in the round-of-16. He played every match for the new darlings of African football and was a constant menace for opposition defences.

Gelson Martins (Portugal): From the time he opened Portugal's tournament account inside thirty seconds of their opening match, Martins looked his side's most dangerous attacker, combining pace and close control with audacious attempts on goal. His winner in the round-of-16 match against New Zealand was simply sublime as he curled an effort with the outside of his right foot in off the post.

Viktor Kovalenko (Ukraine):
After drawing a blank in the opening game against New Zealand, the Shakhtar Donetsk front-man scored a brace against Myanmar before netting a superb hat-trick against the USA in their final pool game. He remains the tournament's Golden Boot leader, despite Ukraine's exit in the round-of-16.

Marcos Guilherme (Brazil): Despite the paucity of Brazilian goals in the knockout rounds, Guilherme always looked the man most likely to trouble opposition defenders. His brace against Senegal in the semi-final broke his tournament drought and marked him out as the man Serbia will have to watch most closely in the final.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 20, 2015, 05:48:08 AM »
Good stuff asylumseeker

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 20, 2015, 10:00:30 AM »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 20, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Mali scored some nice goals vs Senegal.  Check out their set play for the third.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 21, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
 ... 24 years ago, more or less to the day, we were involved in the 1991 U20 WC ... then it took us almost 20 years to make it to the tournament in Egypt.

What expertise from the first tournament did we utilize at the second tournament?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 21, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
It has nothing to do with learning experience from big tournaments. It always has to do with wether or not the TTFf/TTFA is Functional or dysfunctional.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 01, 2015, 11:17:07 PM »
Thus far, that opening goal by Rodríguez (Panama) versus Argentina has to be a candidate for goal of the tournament.

This goal has been named the 3rd best of the total 154 goals scored during the tournament. Will update with #1 (Zivkovic, Serbia) and #2 (Pereira, Brazil) later today.

Very well done, Panama.

1]; } ?>