March 28, 2024, 03:31:15 AM

Author Topic: THE CIRCUS IS BACK IN TOWN  (Read 3439 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THE CIRCUS IS BACK IN TOWN
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
MIAMI (AP) -- LeBron James is heading back to free agency.
James has told the Miami Heat that he is opting out of the final two years of his contract, his agent, Rich Paul, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. And with that, James will become a free agent on July 1.
''I have informed the Heat,'' Paul said.

That does not mean James is leaving Miami - but there's no guarantee that he'll be in a Heat uniform next season, either. A person briefed on the matter and familiar with James' thinking told AP that he has not decided where he will play next season.

''There's no other decision yet,'' that person said.
James addressed the lure of having flexibility last week in his exit interview after the Heat lost to San Antonio in the NBA Finals. And he will have plenty of it now.
Among his options: He could leave Miami entirely, join another team if he feels that better positions himself to win more championships, or sign a longer-term deal in Miami and afford the Heat some financial flexibility of their own in relation to the salary cap and luxury tax.

''Being able to have flexibility as a professional, anyone, that's what we all would like,'' James said last week. ''That's in any sport, for a football player, a baseball player, a basketball player, to have flexibility and be able to control your future or your present. I have a position to be able to do that. ... There's a lot of times that you're not in control of your future as a professional.''

The other two Miami stars with early termination options - Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh - have not yet told the Heat or publicly revealed whether they will join James as free agents this summer. Bosh and James both said last week that the three would meet before deciding anything about their respective futures, and it's been widely speculated that they might have to rework their deals to keep the ''Big 3'' together in Miami.

The Heat were not caught offguard or surprised by James' move.
''Players have a right to free agency and when they have these opportunities, the right to explore their options,'' Heat President Pat Riley said. ''The last four seasons have been historic and LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Erik Spoelstra have led the Miami Heat to one of the most unprecedented runs in the history of the NBA. We look forward to sitting down with LeBron and his representatives and talking about our future together.''

James, Wade and Bosh each signed six-year deals when they famously teamed up in Miami in 2010, and all of those deals came with options to become free agents either this summer or in the summer of 2015. Together, they've won four Eastern Conference titles and two NBA championships, winning more games than any other team in the league over that span.

''There's a conversation that will be had between the three of us,'' James said last week. ''I think it's only right. I think we've earned that for each other, to have a conversation and see what could possibly happen.''

James had about $42.7 million remaining on his deal with the Heat. He came to Miami in 2010 after spending his first seven seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the free agent dealings that summer, James said, was the ''craziest summer I've ever been a part of.''

This one might have a similar feel. James' wife posted a photo depicting Akron, Ohio - their hometown - to her Instagram account Sunday night, and that set off a social-media frenzy, even though it was only related to her annual trip home for the summer.
---
AP Sports Writer Tom Withers in Cleveland contributed to this story.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: THE CIRCUS IS BACK IN TOWN
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
simply a ploy, duncan did the same to get the topline to take pay cuts to free up room to bring another big player to the fray.. mello might be the man they are after... bron ain't going nowhere and this ain't no circus, it's strategy...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
I thought LeBRICK was staying in Miami. At least this time the circus had a short run and he did not drag it out.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:05:57 AM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I thought LeBRICK was staying in Miami. At least this time the circus had a short run and he did not drag it out.
Back to the Cavs, I wonder if Bosh will leave for Houston now???

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Of course he will he gettin d Max.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Of course he will he gettin d Max.

Tell Wade he's always welcome to come to the Lakers since his friends are deserting him ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »
Bosh back to Miami 5yrs $118m

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
Ah well.  Time to fight up again.  With a broko foot Dwyane Wade.
I see Chicago tryin to get him and all.
End of an era.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
Ah well.  Time to fight up again.  With a broko foot Dwyane Wade.
I see Chicago tryin to get him and all.
End of an era.

4 years is an era now? ok

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »

If he get all that how much they was offerin LeBrick?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
The 3 headed monster is dead  ? So ah...what does this mean in the East, is it now dinosaur country ?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »

Bosh is a very good player but he's not Box office to be signing that type of deal. I don't see fans saying "let's go see Chris Bosh and the Miami Heat" when they come to town like they will do for Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Camelo, Harden, etc. Good for him though, take the $$$ if they give it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Kareem: LeBron can't truly 'go home again' to 'betrayed' Cleveland FOX SportsJUL 13, 2014

The NBA's all-time leading scorer is taking issue with LeBron James' "I'm coming home" letter, comparing The King's return to Cleveland to "a straying husband" who's now "having second thoughts."

In a column for Time magazine, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says he doesn't doubt James' sincerity, and he praises LeBron's courage for returning "to what many Clevelanders might consider 'the scene of the crime.'" Abdul-Jabbar also acknowledges that having LeBron back with the Cavaliers is a good thing for the sport and admits that "I certainly will be watching."

But the former Bucks and Lakers legend also says some people might find James' reasoning for going back "disingenuous and self-serving."

Citing author Thomas Wolfe's novel "You Can't Go Home Again," Abdul-Jabbar says the author's intent with the title was to show that neither we nor our hometowns remain static once we leave to pursue other experiences and challenges. And while we have a tendency to view our childhood homes through rose-tinted glasses, things change while we're gone.

"To some skeptical residents, LeBron's return to Cleveland is less that of the prodigal son's triumphant return home than the straying husband who abandoned his longtime partner to chase a younger, hotter, firmer slice having second thoughts. Having realized he traded a deep love for a sweaty romp, he's coming home with a bouquet of roses in one hand and a diamond bracelet in the other, begging forgiveness for his foolish mistake of lustful youth."

Ouch!

Again, Kareem isn't completely dismissive of LeBron's (second) decision; in some ways, he claims he identifies with James, offering up his own career as an example. Abdul-Jabbar writes in the essay that during his career, he, too, had wished to return home to New York to play basketball. Ultimately, no trade could be worked out, and Abdul-Jabbar ended up leaving Milwaukee to play for Los Angeles instead.

But the legendary center says that many Cavs fans may still have a hard time getting over the hurt feelings LeBron caused with his "tacky" first decision to leave.

"... In another way, LeBron can't go home again. At least not to the home he once knew. They may be grateful and joyful, but they are also wiser. Like the betrayed spouse, they will have to wait and see, they will have to be wooed, they will have to be convinced that his sincerity, to quote 'Porgy and Bess,' ain't a sometime thing."

Time may indeed tell whether all is truly forgiven between LeBron James and the city of Cleveland. But if The King is able to deliver a championship to the city, it's probably a safe bet to guess the fences will be completely mended.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
McRoberts, Gringer, Deng, Wade, Bosh, UD, Rio, Cole & Birdman. I like our chances getting between 4th to 6th place and can challenge for the East but that is where it ends...for now.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »

i heard about that rumor but didn't take it on, then closer to his re-signing a friend close to the management said hes not coming back and the cavs and the city will gain substantially, which is what the league is trying to push, building the smaller market teams

1]; } ?>