March 28, 2024, 04:19:15 PM

Author Topic: FIFA proposes to move WC 2022 to Canada and US...  (Read 8108 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
FIFA proposes to move WC 2022 to Canada and US...
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »
FIFA propose to move 2022 World Cup from Qatar to USA and Canada

Vikesh ShetVikesh Shet

Jun 24 2014 57703

Change of the 2022 World Cup venue is imminent.

FIFA have made a proposal to move the 2022 FIFA World Cup to USA and Canada. The hosting rights were originally given to Qatar in controversial circumstancesand it has long been under the hammer of suspicion. FIFA could soon make it public that no Arab country will host the World Cup.

The chief governing body has put forward USA and Canada as the hosts to replace Qatar in 2022. Qatar on the other hand is still continuing with the construction of the ultra-modern stadiums for the World Cup, though it is increasingly appearing they would not be put to use anytime for the mega event.

Qatar was in a cloud of suspicion over allegations of buying of votes and corruption during the time of voting. Mohammed bin Hammam, a former Qatari official for FIFA, paid up to $5 million to influential African leaders to garner their votes. According to reports, there is evidence that hundreds of faxes, emails and invoices were exchanged between Qatari officials and leaders around the world. Australia, one of the main contenders to the 2022 World Cup bid only registered 2 votes and were recently reported to be considering suing FIFA over the $40 million loss they incurred from the bidding process.

Recently, Jim Boyce, vice-president of FIFA, had confirmed a re-vote would take place if the Qatar bid was riddled with corruption saying, “If Michael Garcia, the investigating officer finds any evidence of illegal activity, we will discuss it seriously.”

Qatar has been subjected to strong criticism about the poor working conditions at construction sites of mostly non-Qatari people with a reported 1200 people dead and it is expected to rise to 4000. The International Trade Union Confederation had demanded the FIFA to impose a number of conditions to uphold the Qatar World Cup choice.

Sepp Blatter, FIFA president recognized that “it was a mistake” to choose Qatar as the venue and the international agency is very close to announce USA and Canada as venue for the event. 

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/fifa-propose-move-2022-world-cup-qatar-to-usa-canada/

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA proposes to move WC 2022 to Canada and US...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
I won't mind a WC in North America, in fact if they do get the bid I might react like small man here
https://vine.co/v/MtIhzLU7m09

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Can#t find a major outlet with this news though :( But found this interesting column;

Qatar had the strongest bid for the 2022 Fifa World Cup. Here's why
Qatar does not have a rich football history. But we had compelling answers for all the doubters, and the process was fair
By Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmad Al Thani (Guardian UK)

A week into the 2014 World Cup, we have already seen big upsets and disappointments for supporters. But whether it's the early exit of Spain or of England, there are good football reasons to explain such results. And despite all you may have heard over the last few weeks, there are also good and legitimate reasons why Qatar beat better known rivals to host the tournament in eight years' time. It is just that we have struggled to get a hearing.

Qatar does not have a rich football history. We are a small country. Temperatures are high in the summer. However unfairly, our wealth alone fuels suspicions. But our bid succeeded not because these big questions were ignored but because we provided compelling answers. We turned each challenge to our advantage. We won because our bid was seen as the best.

Qatar's football history may be much younger than in Europe or South America but the passion for the game here and across the Middle East is every bit as intense. Fifa members understood this and were keen to take the tournament to a new region.

The finals in the US in 1994, in Japan and South Korea in 2002 and South Africa in 2010 helped build football's global popularity. This is the chance to take the tournament to the many millions of football fans in the Middle East.

Fifa members were reassured, too, by our success in staging other major sporting events, such as the 2006 Asian Games, the 2011 Pan-Arab games and the 2011 Asia Cup. Qatar's compact size gave these events a very different feel, another positive for Fifa members. We spoke of a World Cup where teams and fans won't have to fly huge distances between venues, unlike in Brazil, or in Russia in four years' time. They recognised as well that Qatar is a stable and peaceful society with one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

We faced, of course, strong rival bids. But both the US, and Japan and South Korea have hosted recent World Cups. Australia has a very strong sporting tradition but football is not its number one sport. A finals staged there would also involve long journeys and considerable cost. In contrast, over two billion football fans are within a four-hour flight of Doha's new airport.

The heat of our summer is seen by some critics as the main reason why we could not possibly have won fair and square. But we showed how matches could be played and watched in comfortable conditions. Playing the tournament in winter was not part of our bid. It might seem to some that air-conditioned stadiums are flights of fancy, but we have had cooling systems for outdoor events since 2008.

We have invested in research and development to find how cooling could be powered by solar and renewable technologies, which we promised Fifa we would share with other countries.

I accept that we spent more money campaigning than other bids, but this was solely to catch up with our better known rivals. We had to tell people about our country and what we could offer, to overcome the perceived obstacles. But from the day we launched our bid to the day our country's name was pulled from the envelope in Zurich, we played strictly by the rules. It is why we are happy to cooperate fully with the Fifa inquiry into the bidding process. We have nothing to hide or fear.

This has not stopped a barrage of increasingly wild accusations. Interpol this week, for instance, completely dismissed the Sunday Times's claim that it had called for a criminal investigation into the 2022 decision.

We set out to Fifa how we wanted the World Cup to be a catalyst for positive change in our region. We have been as good as our word and have already taken steps, for instance, to modernise our labour laws. We also stressed our strong belief that staging the finals in the Middle East would improve understanding within and beyond the region.

As we have seen in Brazil, the World Cup has a remarkable ability to bring people and cultures together. There are fans from all over the world forming new friendships. They will return home with their eyes and minds more open.

There are sadly plenty of divisions and misunderstandings in our world, but the shared passion for football can shake prejudices and unite people around what they have in common. This message – which has never been more important – was at the heart of our bid. It is also why we look forward to welcoming the world to our country in 2022: it will be an amazing event.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:26:00 AM »
Canada!

Or US ........
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »
US. Who wants to waste a spot on Canada.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
US. Who wants to waste a spot on Canada.

Don't be so harsh, there are some footy fans in Canada who'd love to feel the same you did in 2006 :)

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
Uh, we qualified through very hard work. I would say well done Canada if they qualified through the same route. For now I don't think they deserve any automatic spots. Have they ever even made the hex.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
Uh, we qualified through very hard work. I would say well done Canada if they qualified through the same route. For now I don't think they deserve any automatic spots. Have they ever even made the hex.

:rotfl: is that a serious question?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
BTW the last WC in the US was boring for fans on the ground..almost stale. No pre and post game madness as in other host countries. Hopefully with a thriving league and a new breed of passionate football soccer fans, that would change.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »

Canada made it to the world cup in Mexico in 1986....that was their first and only WC appearance to date.

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »

Canada made it to the world cup in Mexico in 1986....that was their first and only WC appearance to date.

It was an honest to god genuine question. Can't remember ever seeing them. I'm not old enough to remember 86. I was 1.

Just looked back on wiki and I see they made in  1998. And I guess it was a square in 1994. Too bad they aren't good now. But I do think a team should have some merit to play in the world cup or else they will just get run over.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
BTW the last WC in the US was boring for fans on the ground..almost stale. No pre and post game madness as in other host countries. Hopefully with a thriving league and a new breed of passionate football soccer fans, that would change.

It was?  Funny that's not how I remember it.  And I lived in DC, one of the host cities at the time.  And most of the stuff we take for granted now (the FanFests for example) only began 8 years ago in Germany.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »

It was?  Funny that's not how I remember it.  And I lived in DC, one of the host cities at the time.  And most of the stuff we take for granted now (the FanFests for example) only began 8 years ago in Germany.

I had a package for DC. I got it by luck.  But Jumbie ,Bakes is right. That's not how it was Breds. It was exiting. Metro was pack with fans from Spain, Saudi, Holland, Morocco. FIFA made mucho money. With the exception of RFK and Foxboro, the rest of the stadiums were 60 thousand plus. The tickets were sold as quickly as they came online.  The atmosphere in RFK was dynamic. It was hot like hell. They had a number of official water breaks. It was a turning point for football in the US. They performed very well.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:31:55 PM by Deeks »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
went to the Russia-Sweden match at the Pontiac Silver dome (Detroit) . very exciting , great atmosphere
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »
Can#t find a major outlet with this news though :( But found this interesting column;

Qatar does not have a rich football history. But we had compelling answers for all the doubters, and the process was fair

Was also published in Canada's National Post yesterday.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/26/hamad-bin-khalifa-bin-ahmad-al-thani-why-qatar-deserves-the-world-cup/

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 04:15:04 AM »

Was also published in Canada's National Post yesterday.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/06/26/hamad-bin-khalifa-bin-ahmad-al-thani-why-qatar-deserves-the-world-cup/

Nah I mean I couldn't find anyone confirming that FIFA were actually proposing a move to Canada and the US -

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 04:15:31 AM »

It was an honest to god genuine question. Can't remember ever seeing them. I'm not old enough to remember 86. I was 1.

Just looked back on wiki and I see they made in  1998. And I guess it was a square in 1994. Too bad they aren't good now. But I do think a team should have some merit to play in the world cup or else they will just get run over.

And you don't think the hosting nations should get the chance to play in front of their home crowds?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »
oh lord please let them bring it to the us or canada

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
The local media here is already conjecturing that the new Levi's stadium will be one of the venues for sure.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »

Bakes leave them the most successful world cup was in the US and all world cups have been based off the US model.
The US have many passionate fans. What angers me is that there is that cognitive dissonance by the sport channels that the game doesn't really exist in the states as none of the so called sport journalists talk about the sport unless it's a big game.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
explain 'most successful'.. please.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »

Attendance and money made.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »

large stadiums and cheaper tickets? Can you find a source to say the profit loss of the 1994 WC?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »

large stadiums and cheaper tickets? Can you find a source to say the profit loss of the 1994 WC?

transparent numbers from FIFA?  good luck

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »

All previous world cups were a financial loss for mafiFa

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »

there is this lil ting on the interwebs called google..if you type stuff in yuh should get answers..

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 04:52:45 AM »

there is this lil ting on the interwebs called google..if you type stuff in yuh should get answers..

in other words you CANNOT back up your statement! I guess it may have been a personal opinion of yours then? Like much of what is found on the little thing called google?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:58:14 AM by Jumbie »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »
Highest average of attendance per match
68,991, USA 94
Highest attendance in a tournament
3,570,000, USA 94.

The total attendance of nearly 3.6 million for the final tournament remains the highest in World Cup history, despite the expansion of the competition from 24 to 32 teams (and from 52 to 64 matches) in the 1998 World Cup.

The 1994 World Cup revolutionized television coverage of sports in the United States through the sponsored scoreboard and game clock that were constantly shown on screen throughout the game. Television sports coverage in the US had long been dependent upon commercial breaks; a feature suitable for sports such as baseball, basketball, ice hockey and American football (which all have breaks in the action), but long considered incompatible with soccer, due to the long stretches of uninterrupted play. Variations on it were quickly incorporated into virtually every team sports broadcast by the decade's end. The first American pro sports broadcaster to do this was Fox Sports which won national rights to broadcast the NFL's National Football Conference from CBS 6˝ months before the 1994 World Cup began.

Also had the first indoor match in World Cup History and had a higher average goals count than any World Cup since.

What is your criteria for success Jumbie? You claimed it was boring, yet provide no evidence and have been contradicted by two people who attended the World Cup personally. Did you attend? If so is it possible that the place you went to was the exception, given what others have said here?

Deeks said Attendance and money made, the former we know for a fact was the most successful World Cup ever in terms of attendance. The latter is an open question due to the lack of transparency, but the profit for Los Angeles alone is said to be 4 times that of the Superbowl. How then do you claim that he hasn't backed up his statement?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 07:08:43 AM »
Highest average of attendance per match
68,991, USA 94
Highest attendance in a tournament
3,570,000, USA 94.

The total attendance of nearly 3.6 million for the final tournament remains the highest in World Cup history, despite the expansion of the competition from 24 to 32 teams (and from 52 to 64 matches) in the 1998 World Cup.

The 1994 World Cup revolutionized television coverage of sports in the United States through the sponsored scoreboard and game clock that were constantly shown on screen throughout the game. Television sports coverage in the US had long been dependent upon commercial breaks; a feature suitable for sports such as baseball, basketball, ice hockey and American football (which all have breaks in the action), but long considered incompatible with soccer, due to the long stretches of uninterrupted play. Variations on it were quickly incorporated into virtually every team sports broadcast by the decade's end. The first American pro sports broadcaster to do this was Fox Sports which won national rights to broadcast the NFL's National Football Conference from CBS 6˝ months before the 1994 World Cup began.

Also had the first indoor match in World Cup History and had a higher average goals count than any World Cup since.

What is your criteria for success Jumbie? You claimed it was boring, yet provide no evidence and have been contradicted by two people who attended the World Cup personally. Did you attend? If so is it possible that the place you went to was the exception, given what others have said here?

Deeks said Attendance and money made, the former we know for a fact was the most successful World Cup ever in terms of attendance. The latter is an open question due to the lack of transparency, but the profit for Los Angeles alone is said to be 4 times that of the Superbowl. How then do you claim that he hasn't backed up his statement?

the stats you provided I read on Wikipedia when this was first posted. That's why I mentioned larger stadiums and cheaper tickets. Did you check the stadium sizes compared to other WC? I attend 2 games and was in town for another but couldn't get tickets. I too was in Detroit game Pecan mentioned (3.5 hr drive from my house). I was also at other WC.

If you could find actual profit/loss numbers from WC I would be grateful as I can't find any (so far).

What are the actual financials to support "money made"? The overall vibe on the ground (before and after games on the street) it what killed it for me. I think I also mentioned that with a successful league and passionate fans (things have changed since 1994).. I'm sure the US | Canada hosting would be good.

As did other posters here say it was good for them (who attended) I too know posters on here said the opposite (no longer post here though). Especially the DC games. People who traveled with me were mixed on their views. I concede it's an opinion thing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:15:01 AM by Jumbie »

1]; } ?>