April 25, 2024, 12:50:06 PM

Author Topic: TTFA set to change direction of senior women's program.  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
TTFA set to change direction of senior women's program.
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
TTFA set to change direction of senior women's program.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association is set to introduce significant changes to the Senior Women’s National Team to better enhance our team’s prospects of being the first Caribbean team to qualify for the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Earlier this month, the TTFA unveiled plans to send the team to a residential training camp in Houston, Texas for one month in preparation for the upcoming CFU Championship, which the TTFA will host from August 16-27. This move will mark the first time in TTFA history such an investment is being made in the Senior Women’s Program.

On July 6th and 8th, the team will enjoy its first international matches in over 18 months as host to the Venezuela Women’s National Team. Both matches will be played at the Ato Boldon Stadium. Kickoff times will be  6pm on July 6th and 6:30pm on July 8th.

However, the most significant upgrade to the program will come in the form of changing the team’s technical staff.

After one month of program review, concerns raised by players about the direction of the coaching and program, and under the recommendations of a newly installed Technical Development Committee Chairman, the TTFA has decided to relieve Marlon Charles of his present position and install former U.S. U-23 and Notre Dame Coach, Randy Waldrum, as the head coach for the senior women’s team.

It is believed by many in the CONCACAF region that the present Women’s National Team is facing its most promising chance to qualify for the Women’s World Cup, which will be held in Canada in August 2015.

In February of this year, the U-20s came within 30 minutes of qualifying for the U20 Women’s World Cup but lost the match in overtime to Costa Rica 5-2.

Waldrum is expected to be on the bench for the July 6 match vs. Venezuela and will take over the coaching responsibilities upon the team’s arrival in Houston. In addition, as a show of commitment to the women’s game in Trinidad and Tobago, Coach Waldrum has agreed to lead the national team under a gratis arrangement through the CFU Tournament.

In the meantime, Senior Men’s National Team Coach, Stephen Hart, has agreed to prepare the women’s team for the upcoming Venezuela matches and has been conducting the training sessions at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

The TTFA remains grateful and thanks Marlon Charles for his services to the current Senior Women’s Team.

Randy Waldrum BIO

The 52-year-old Waldrum is a vastly experienced coach in US Women’s Football. He led the Notre Dame Women's Soccer team to two National Championships, in 2004 and 2010.

Waldrum was named as the first head coach for the NWSL expansion team the Houston Dash ahead of the 2014 season.

He is no stranger to T&T women’s football, having coached the Women’s Under 17 team during the CONCACAF Final Round of World Cup qualification in 2008.

Waldrum also served as an assistant coach with the U.S. Women's U-18 and U-20 national teams in the late 1990s. He started a first-year men's program at Texas Wesleyan in 1988 and earlier had his first collegiate head coaching position at Austin College in 1982.

He served as director of coaching for the Texas Longhorns Soccer Club from 1987-89, coaching one of the seven teams in the club while overseeing the other teams. His team went 53-4-1 and finished third in the country, with Waldrum coaching and developing two Parade All-Americans, two national team players and one Youth World Cup player with the Longhorns.

Waldrum earned all-district honors all four years of his playing career at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas, graduating in 1981 as a physical education major and political science minor. He then played professionally for the Los Angeles Skyhawks and the Indianapolis Daredevils of the American Soccer League.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: TTFA set to change direction of senior women's program.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
The Dash is 4-9-1 and currently in 8th spot in the NWSL.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
Good to see Hart involved and good going by de TTFA. I eh like how we keep flowing de Warner/Lincoln philosophy and hiring de same people, but at least Waldrum is a very good coach, to bad we got him to late, I doubt anything can improve in a month, but its worth a try.

Good going by the TTFA but I have a few questions.

1. Why did they relieve Marlon Charles of his duties? why didn't they make him an assistant to Waldrum. This is the only way a local can learn, but then again, them locals know everything. I do not know him personally, but Charles seems ok and if he had de attitude and he willing then put him as assistant. What about Dion LaFoucade?

2. How can we afford to hire a big name woman coach like Waldrum and his staff and we don't have a penny to play a game more than Venezuela, doesn't this deceive the purpose. Is like he have a big bad gun with one bullet and then what? training alone is not good, even if we training in Houston. The team needs games, bottom line. Same thing we did with Hart, we have a good coach but no or not much games for him, off course he will fail.

3. Will we see the return of Lauren Schmidt, Shanelle Arjoon, Victoria Swift, Jessica DeLeon, Brianna Ryce, Jonelle Warrick, Camille Borneo, Jasmine Sampson, Rehana Omardeen, Linfah Jones, Liana Hinds, Kayla Taylor and Emma Abdu? These players had a lot to work with.

Good going by the TTFA, but if you going an bull, then shove in de whole thing, not just de head.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »
Good to see Hart involved and good going by de TTFA. I eh like how we keep flowing de Warner/Lincoln philosophy and hiring de same people, but at least Waldrum is a very good coach, to bad we got him to late, I doubt anything can improve in a month, but its worth a try.

1. Why did they relieve Marlon Charles of his duties? why didn't they make him an assistant to Waldrum. This is the only way a local can learn, but then again, them locals know everything. I do not know him personally, but Charles seems ok and if he had de attitude and he willing then put him as assistant. What about Dion LaFoucade?

2. How can we afford to hire a big name woman coach like Waldrum and his staff and we don't have a penny to play a game more than Venezuela, doesn't this deceive the purpose. Is like he have a big bad gun with one bullet and then what? training alone is not good, even if we training in Houston. The team needs games, bottom line. Same thing we did with Hart, we have a good coach but no or not much games for him, off course he will fail.

3. Will we see the return of Lauren Schmidt, Shanelle Arjoon, Victoria Swift, Jessica DeLeon, Brianna Ryce, Jonelle Warrick, Camille Borneo, Jasmine Sampson, Rehana Omardeen, Linfah Jones, Liana Hinds, Kayla Taylor and Emma Abdu? These players had a lot to work with.

Good going by the TTFA, but if you going an bull, then shove in de whole thing, not just de head.

Sam, here is a few things I know on the top of my head.

Good to see Hart involved and good going by de TTFA.
Stephen Hart came on board three weeks before Gold Cup and yes, he did not get any games to prepare his team but had a few sessions with them, I am sure this was not plan??

From what I heard is that players have been unhappy and expressed concerns about Charles training sessions, not scouting WoLF games, and an assessment of the program by the Technical Development Chairman led to him being replaced as head coach. He was offered to fill the role as women's TD, which he turned down and then offered to stay as Randy's assistant, which he accepted, then resigned a week later. The TTFA were very sensitive to his time and efforts spent with the program. Problem from what I heard is that Marlon has allowed himself to be influenced by a former coach (Jamal Shabaaz) who had an axe to grind against the TTFA. Dion LaFoucade is in Iowa or Colorado, not sure for how long, but I think he is based there now??

Waldron is not charging for his services between now and end of CFU tournament. Plus since the team is coming to him in Houston, there is no need to pay for lodging and transportation for him either. The TTFA are keeping the staff in tact. Randy is the only coach They are bringing. Very similar scenario as Hart. See above. The TTFA got a great coach, to provide a service for free, and be able to benefit from his resources. While in Houston, I heard that the team have two scheduled matches against Mexico, one against Houston Dash, and one against FC Dallas U-23 team.

I heard a rumor that those players are being contacted.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:47:37 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
Shame about Shabazz, I would have thought resolving Caledonia's below-par season would have consumed this this summer. Excellent from Waldrum though, top bloke to do it for free.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
TTFA = Sheldon Phillips =  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Very good reply as well Flex.

Marlon allow himself failure cause he choose to listen to fools.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
The TTFA got a great coach, to provide a service for free

Dude, nothing in this world is free!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
When are they going to Texas?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »

Maybe not in the dollar sense, but I imagine that the attraction for Waldrum is a decent game for Dash vs T&T.
I also imagine (although I have no info either way) that Waldrum or Dash will benefit financially in some way from the Mexico games and the games vs Houston and Dallas, which is fair enough.
This is good business, in my view. Costs TTFA very little and somebody in the States will benefit financially (hopefully, Waldrum) Everyone's happy.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »

Maybe not in the dollar sense, but I imagine that the attraction for Waldrum is a decent game for Dash vs T&T.
I also imagine (although I have no info either way) that Waldrum or Dash will benefit financially in some way from the Mexico games and the games vs Houston and Dallas, which is fair enough.
This is good business, in my view. Costs TTFA very little and somebody in the States will benefit financially (hopefully, Waldrum) Everyone's happy.

Good time to get some good intimate look at potential signing from Mexico and T&T for the Dash in the 2015-2016 for Waldrum also.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Marlon Charles: My time will come.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 05:37:58 AM »
Mexico test for Soca Princesses
...as American recruited to take T&T to World Cup
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago senior national women's footballers will twice play the Mexican national women's team in August, while on a 30-day training camp in Houston, Texas, under new national coach, American  Randy Waldrum.   

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips said Waldrum's recruitment is one of several steps the TTFA are making to have the team qualify for next year's FIFA World Cup in Canada.

Phillips also revealed that Waldrum offered to work with the TTFA for free during next month’s Women Caribbean Cup—until a later arrangement can be worked out-- and also that long-serving former national coach Marlon Charles had turned down the post of technical director as well as the first assistant position following Waldrum's recruitment.

"Marlon Charles was first offered the women's technical director position. He turned that down and expressed a desire to be still involved in the coaching," Phillips declared. "We also gave him the opportunity to work with Randy as the first assistant. He accepted that, then several days later, we began hearing that he decided to resign. There was a very real and sincere attempt to retain Marlon in the programme and he decided to resign."

Charles is a pioneer of the women's programme, having joined from its infancy many years ago. He apparently had no problem working with Waldrum, having done so as his assistant on the national under-17 women's team.

However, the Express understands Charles was upset about the manner in which things had been done by the TTFA, having to find out second hand information, including Waldrum's return.

When contacted, Charles said it takes two to make a fight, and he preferred not have a public fight with his former bosses, the TTFA.  “Coaches change,” Charles nonchalantly declared, when speaking briefly to the Express. “My time will come.”

Phillips added that as unfortunate as things had developed, Trinidad & Tobago never the less had a unique opportunity to become the first Caribbean women's team to qualify for a FIFA World Cup.

The expansion of the competition from 16 to 24 teams could see the North, Central American and Caribbean region having as many as five representatives at the  2015 FIFA World Cup.

Canada comes in as host, while CONCACAF’s qualifying tournament will award three direct tickets to the World Cup and a fourth CONCACAF team will reach a play-off with a South American rival.

“It is believed by many in the CONCACAF region that the present women’s national team is facing its most promising chance to qualify for the Women’s World Cup, which will be held in Canada in August 2015,” the TTFA stated in a release.

"We have a fantastic coach who is willing to come in because he sees this as an adventure to become a  part of history," Phillips added.

"It is  an extraordinary opportunity to become the first Caribbean team to qualify for a women's World Cup. We can't keep doing the same things every time and expect different results. We have made a conscious effort to give the team as much resources as possible to qualify for the World Cup and this is just a part of the process."

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:01:36 AM »
Thanks for clueing that up Flex.

Good job by the TTFA.

Big man like Charles still making man control him.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marlon Charles: My time will come.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 05:04:34 AM »
One thing though, de TTFA need to be upfront with men and stop treating them like f00cking children or how de past TTFF treated people.

Charles have a right to get vex if he was de last to find out AFTER they hire Randy Waldrum.

Come on Sheldon, you need to be more professional and straight forward, off course if Charles telling de truth.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »

Stephen Hart came on board three weeks before Gold Cup and yes, he did not get any games to prepare his team but had a few sessions with them, I am sure this was not plan??

From what I heard is that players have been unhappy and expressed concerns about Charles training sessions, not scouting WoLF games, and an assessment of the program by the Technical Development Chairman led to him being replaced as head coach. He was offered to fill the role as women's TD, which he turned down and then offered to stay as Randy's assistant, which he accepted, then resigned a week later. The TTFA were very sensitive to his time and efforts spent with the program. Problem from what I heard is that Marlon has allowed himself to be influenced by a former coach (Jamal Shabaaz) who had an axe to grind against the TTFA. Dion LaFoucade is in Iowa or Colorado, not sure for how long, but I think he is based there now??

Waldron is not charging for his services between now and end of CFU tournament. Plus since the team is coming to him in Houston, there is no need to pay for lodging and transportation for him either. The TTFA are keeping the staff in tact. Randy is the only coach They are bringing. Very similar scenario as Hart. See above. The TTFA got a great coach, to provide a service for free, and be able to benefit from his resources. While in Houston, I heard that the team have two scheduled matches against Mexico, one against Houston Dash, and one against FC Dallas U-23 team.

Flex, what is confusing about your reply which I am sure someone from the inside told you is that, they claim all this issues and deficiencies from Marlon Charles but yet offered him a Technical Director position.

Secondly, they also fired (removed/hire someone else) the man after the fact, a move Jack Warner was famous for.

Those two things I did not like.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

Flex, what is confusing about your reply which I am sure someone from the inside told you is that, they claim all this issues and deficiencies from Marlon Charles but yet offered him a Technical Director position.

Secondly, they also fired (removed/hire someone else) the man after the fact, a move Jack Warner was famous for.

Is the same :bs: everytime. Nothing eh different they doing. Just like the men team they talk Waldrum into coaching the team for 2 months to try and qualify. If we qualify Waldrum will stay on, if we lose like every other coach he will walk away.

How is this changing things and changing the direction of the program? This is tried and true way of JW TTFF. Have local coah struggle and when things look favorable bring on a "top class" coach. Where all the MNT coaches who were here to take us forward?

This eh nothing new and/or different is the same exact thing that is always done.

You know why they want Marlon to stay? Because if the team eh qualify then back to the well. Marlon realize what seen they on and finally stand up for himself and tell them hard luck. If they were sensitive to the time and effort he put in, then they would have let him know up front that they looking to bring someone else in to take over not after. That is the MO of JW.

Who want to believe that this is new and/or different can go ahead, but is the same thing they always do.

Here's a question, where is Pellerud?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:17 AM »

Well, I was told that the TD position is based on completely different criteria than a that of a coach. The TD position calls for the person develop resources and help grow the women's game in T&T.

It was felt that Marlon's experience in the T&T women's game and relationships he created over the years would make him a good person to lead a collaborative effort among women's football entities and move in one direction towards developing women's football.

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Don't believe that BS about Marlon being better suited for the TD position.

This thing with Waldrum has been in motion since Tim Kee got on board. How did Sheldon Phillips get appointed to the General Secretary position? Lincoln is pulling all the strings behind the scenes... I don't have any problem with Lincoln or Sheldon by the way. But the way things are being done is very unprofessional and Sheldon is playing in the mud.

Lincoln push Tim Kee to take the job so he can have a hand in everything.

He spent 7 years in T&T and did nothing, absolutely nothing and has finally gotten his claw back to safe his face via Sheldon.

Lincoln is doing the same thing the old TTFF did, off all people he should know how that feels.

I know for a fact that the players were tired of Marlon and they wanted someone else. Randy Waldrum just happens to be very close friends with Lincoln and it seems a logical choice. However, as much as he may be coaching the team for free during the qualifying tournament, that should be a red flag.

Did they want Marlon to coach for free? Some of this BS has to stop man! The last time they brought Randy with the U-17 he was paid a ridiculous amount of money $5,000 US a month and did nothing for those girls. He brought Marlon to his summer camp at ND and pretended that he was interested in Mariah Shade for his ND team, collect his cash and left Marlon holding the bags.

They talking about the team having a chance at history, well why should Waldron get the opportunity to create the history when he had the same opportunity with the U-17 team and failed miserably.

I does get fed up with how we always want to promote other people except our own. It have plenty other Trinidadians who could get the job done with that team other than Waldrum or Marlon Charles, but nobody in charge doing their homework!

Sam has a thread with a long list of coaches with T&T ties, some of them very experienced and professional and could do as good a job or better job than Randy Waldrum.
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=62692.msg901644#msg901644

Don't start any talk about his resume either, them fellas just connected to the game in the US and does play all the politics tricks to get them the best opportunities, just like this one that is handed to him AGAIN! They know people.

The TTFA need to do the same for the women's team, find a Trinidad national foreign or domestic, find the money to pay him or her and their staff, and find the money to support the training camp and friendlies.

There are Trinidadian coaches who are in positions in the US to do the same; Waldrum teaches coaching courses with the NSCAA and there are Trinidadian coaches doing the same thing with the same coaching education organization as he.

No axe to grind, just sharing my thoughts for today.

Sheldon is not straight forward  and honest with the T&T public and cannot function without Lincoln.

Like the old TTFF saying - TAKING TRINBAGOIANS FOR FOOLS.

Sponsors take note.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »

This thing with Waldrum has been in motion since Tim Kee got on board. How did Sheldon Phillips get appointed to the General Secretary position? Lincoln is pulling all the strings behind the scenes... I don't have any problem with Lincoln or Sheldon by the way. But the way things are being done is very unprofessional and Sheldon is playing in the mud.

He spent 7 years in T&T and did nothing, absolutely nothing and has finally gotten his claw back to safe his face via Sheldon.

Lincoln is doing the same thing the old TTFF did, off all people he should know how that feels.

I know for a fact that the players were tired of Marlon and they wanted someone else. Randy Waldrum just happens to be very close friends with Lincoln and it seems a logical choice. However, as much as he may be coaching the team for free during the qualifying tournament, that should be a red flag.

Did they want Marlon to coach for free? Some of this BS has to stop man! The last time they brought Randy with the U-17 he was paid a ridiculous amount of money $5,000 US a month and did nothing for those girls. He brought Marlon to his summer camp at ND and pretended that he was interested in Mariah Shade for his ND team, collect his cash and left Marlon holding the bags.

They talking about the team having a chance at history, well why should Waldron get the opportunity to create the history when he had the same opportunity with the U-17 team and failed miserably.

I does get fed up with how we always want to promote other people except our own. It have plenty other Trinidadians who could get the job done with that team other than Waldrum or Marlon Charles, but nobody in charge doing their homework!

Sam has a thread with a long list of coaches with T&T ties, some of them very experienced and professional and could do as good a job or better job than Randy Waldrum.

Don't start any talk about his resume either, them fellas just connected to the game in the US and does play all the politics tricks to get them the best opportunities, just like this one that is handed to him AGAIN! They know people.

The TTFA need to do the same for the women's team, find a Trinidad national foreign or domestic, find the money to pay him or her and their staff, and find the money to support the training camp and friendlies.

There are Trinidadian coaches who are in positions in the US to do the same; Waldrum teaches coaching courses with the NSCAA and there are Trinidadian coaches doing the same thing with the same coaching education organization as he.

Sheldon is not straight forward  and honest with the T&T public and cannot function without Lincoln.

Sponsors take note.

After d fiasco wit d juzzy me eh want to hear bout Sheldon Phillips.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »

Sponsors take note.

Stunning, TTFA/TTFF never cease to amaze.

I stopped following them or taking them serious when the new TTFA came onboard and retain the services of Shabazz and Fuentes, guys who were part of Jack. I wanted a full change. Even the hiring of Tim Kee was harsh, the guy from Carib who were running and then dropped out look like he was a better deal. Tim Kee bringing his old habits and friends.

Lincoln Phillips is not respected in T&T as a TD or in the administrative part, only as a player.

The Alcons/CIC members must disrepair for good for T&T to see light, they love to much friend thing.

Insider, is Waldrum secretly getting paid? The guy even paid his way to come see the team play Venezuela. He really love T&T so?

Someone is definitely not telling the full story or the extend of it.

Its makes sense now I see that the same people is getting the job as when LP was here.

This is an eye opener, talk about lack of interest. I hope Sheldon don't think people in T&T is gullible.

The little money they get they are spending it on foreign coaches (Beenhakker and Waldrum) and then they having nothing left to carryout a proper programme.

Any one knows anything about Randy Waldrum as an international cosh? Did he do anything for T&T when he was here the last time?

On the other hand, I still feel good about Sheldon Phillips, I hope he don't blow it like his dad did. He seems like a hard working and smart fella, maybe he lacks common sense.  :rotfl:

But for real, I kinda taking a liking to Sheldon. He has made a positive contribution since he came here.

All we would like is honesty.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:30:34 PM by Errol »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
Leh me bring back ah old Weary1969 quote, "No Plan, No Brand".

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:48 AM »
Charles back on board
......Ex-women’s boss to work with successor Waldrum
By Ian Prescott (Express).

A truce has been declared, and with a mere civil retraction for hurtful things said by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), former women’s national team coach Marlon Charles will begin working with American Randy Waldrum to qualify the Soca Princess for the Canada 2015 FIFA Women World Cup.

Charles has in essence agreed to take up the position of Waldrum’s first assistant, but is still hurt by recent developments, including not being informed about women’s team issues, including his demotion. 

Last week, the TTFA issued a release indicating it had sacked long-serving former national coach Charles, having brought in former USA Under-23 and legendary women’s college coach Waldrum to head the women’s programme.

“After one month of programme review, concerns raised by players about the direction of the coaching and programme, and under the recommendations of a newly installed Technical Development Committee chairman, the TTFA has decided to relieve Marlon Charles of his present position and install former US U-23 and Notre Dame Coach, Randy Waldrum, as the head coach for the senior women’s team,” the TTFA release stated last week.

However, on Sunday, Waldrum and Charles were seated side by side and plotting strategy as the T&T senior women beat a young Venezuelan team 5-0 at Ato Boldon Stadium.

Also watching on Sunday were TTFA president and Port of Spain Mayor Raymond Tim Kee, and his general secretary Sheldon Phillips.

When asked to confirm their partnership, both parties replied positively and indicated they were desirous of rekindling the relationship they had on the 2008 T&T Women’s National Under-17 team when Charles was Waldrum’s assistant. Meanwhile, Charles still has to have his “minor issue” worked out with the TTFA, but assures that he would work with Waldrum.

”My situation was never about the coach, because we are friends. So working together is not a problem,” Charles declared. “The relationship between both of us is not an issue. Everything was about what I was standing up for.”

Meanwhile, Waldrum had a good first impression of the senior women.

“My first impression is positive. I think there’s a lot of talent. I think they got some good organisation,” Waldrum said of the side after seeing T&T dominate the match. “There’s enough to work with”.

“Obviously, they need some time together. You can tell they have not been together in a while with the fitness level and some of the pressing collectively, but I have a very positive first impression,” Waldrum added.

Waldrum added that the best players will be given a chance to make the team but that the situation was not similar to 2008, when he desperately had to search for talent to make up the Under-17 side.

“The last time I came here we had three months and when I saw the group we had we needed to find some players from outside. The last time the players had not been playing very long and the level was not very high.” Waldrum said. “I think it’s different now because these players have been playing since a young age. We might have a couple in Europe that would be good to get back, but I think the talent is here.”

Waldrum said because of the short time, he will have to depend on Charles and the technical staff to determine what players to carry to Houston for a one-month training camp ahead of the Women’s Caribbean Cup, the first leg of World Cup qualifying to be held from August 19-26 in Trinidad and Tobago.

Charles added that he was glad Venezuela sent a young team because it gave the Soca Princess a chance to find their legs after playing a first international in a couple of years.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 02:49:40 AM »
What is going on here? The TTFA needs to sort itself out and do the basics of management right - stop messing around your employees and treat them with respect.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »
What is going on here? The TTFA needs to sort itself out and do the basics of management right - stop messing around your employees and treat them with respect.

Its the same way they treat their fans, with no respect and they wonder why no one go and support the team.

Sheldon is a good guy and I genuinely thought he would have change this about the federation, I guess I was wrong.

They treat the fans with no repsect as well as the staff members and the first thing Tim Kee said was to make up to the fans and bring some some respect and accountability.

Look, no one saying Marlon Charles is the man for the job, even if you have to let him go, do it in a professional manner.

Jack Warner use to fire coaches while they were still abroad with the team.

You want respect, you have to give FIRST.

The  players doesn't like Charles and will not play for him, why did they bring him back?

Doesn't matter how good a coach you are, if the players do not want to play for you, then you will not have any success.

Why did they bring him back, guilt trip?

Come on guys, be honest with us.

Its simple as that, once you do the right thing, justice will prevail.

I expect nothing much from Tim Kee, but not Sheldon, he's okay, don't fall into the same old habits guy.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:15:02 AM by Sando »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 10:02:40 AM »

Its the same way they treat their fans, with no respect and they wonder why no one go and support the team.

Sheldon is a good guy and I genuinely thought he would have change this about the federation, I guess I was wrong.

They treat the fans with no repsect as well as the staff members and the first thing Tim Kee said was to make up to the fans and bring some some respect and accountability.

Look, no one saying Marlon Charles is the man for the job, even if you have to let him go, do it in a professional manner.

The  players doesn't like Charles and will not play for him, why did they bring him back?

Doesn't matter how good a coach you are, if the players do not want to play for you, then you will not have any success.

I expect nothing much from Tim Kee, but not Sheldon, he's okay, don't fall into the same old habits guy.

Sando, is not that they dislike Marlon or have anything personally against him. A couple of the female players think the local coaches are not good enough and wanted a foreign coach. They clamored and got their way. Many would post their dissatisfaction on their Facebook pages. So it was not really a secret. The player will have no problem with Marlon being part of the staff. They wanted someone who THEY felt was good enough to coach them.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:52 AM »

Sando, is not that they dislike Marlon or have anything personally against him. A couple of the female players think the local coaches are not good enough and wanted a foreign coach. They clamored and got their way. Many would post their dissatisfaction on their Facebook pages. So it was not really a secret. The player will have no problem with Marlon being part of the staff. They wanted someone who THEY felt was good enough to coach them.

And you can't give them wrong, if they feel he cannot lead and train them at a high level and don't want to play for him, then he have to go.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »

Sponsors take note.

NOTED !!!.....

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T women's camp split between two continents; TTFA says its "fine"
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »
T&T women split in two continents for Caribbean Cup preparation
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago national women team’s bizarre preparation for the 2014 Caribbean Cup tournament will continue for at least a few days more as the “Soca Princesses” continue training with its squad and staff split between two continents.

Fourteen players and team manager Vernetta Flanders are in Houston where they have prepared under American head coach Randy Waldrum for the past five days. But the remaining 12 players are in Trinidad awaiting United States visas along with the bulk of the technical staff.

Assistant coach Marlon Charles, a Chaguanas South Secondary teacher, hopes the team can finally be united by Friday and admitted that, even today, they were still finalising visa submissions.

“The situation was that we had no money (to apply for visas sooner),” Charles told Wired868. “Hopefully by Thursday everybody will be out of here. Hopefully…

“It is a tough situation having the team split right now. But this team has been together for a long time and the players all know each other. So, if we can just get 10 days together, it will probably work out.”

The 2014 Women’s Caribbean Cup kicks off on August 19 in Trinidad and is the first qualifying rung for the Canada 2015 World Cup.

The decision to prepare in the United States for the Trinidad-based tournament was relayed to the women’s technical staff by Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips and is believed to have been influenced by the Houston-based Waldrum.

Phillips, when asked about the players and staff being split into two different continents, described the team’s preparation as “fine.”

“Preparation is going fine,” Phillips told Wired868. “We have 17 players in camp and the mood is quite positive. (The) remaining players and staff in T&T are awaiting visas, which are currently being processed by the US embassy.”

However, Charles suggested that the team was just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

“We would have liked to have more time (together) but we can’t do anything about it,” said Charles. “I spoke to Waldrum on Sunday and he is happy with how things are going there. We have a good relationship where the football goes; so that is not an issue…

“This is a situation that you don’t want to be in. But we are in it and we can’t do anything about it.”

The Trinidad and Tobago ladies have their best chance ever to qualify for a FIFA tournament since, with Canada serving as the host nation, CONCACAF was awarded an additional place.

However, in the past two months, Phillips caused a stir as he hired Waldrum without informing then head coach, Charles and sacked Charles by press release before re-hiring him as an assistant while the training team was split into two groups as only half the squad has United States visas.

Trinidad and Tobago will face St Kitts and Nevis on 20 August 2014 in its opening 2014 Caribbean Cup fixture while Martinique and Antigua and Barbuda meet in the other Group B affair

The Caribbean Cup competition kicks off a day earlier with a Group A double header that features Jamaica against Puerto Rica and Haiti against Bermuda.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:09:23 AM by Flex »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: T&T women's camp split between two continents; TTFA says its "fine"
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
Shameful........ to think that money not available when man getting 5.5 millions for renting toilets etc...... Minister of sports legacy continues to derail TnT football along with former special advisor. Oh what a tangle web was woven to ensure our success is never measured in international glory.
SHAME SHAME SHAME.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
Las,

Why don't you focus your attention on Sportt and MOS on why they don't give long term funding for the National teams, both youth and senior?

Everyone knows the TTFA broke but I tired reading of the same angle... they don't have any money. They have no sponsors and no long term support from Gov't and only getting a percentage of funding they request for teams to go on Tour etc... Maybe it's time to give Sheldon and the TTFA a break lol ? I can only imagine how tough it is to try to pay for visas with no money etc etc

Change it up...it getting a bit old

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
So, they don't have money to pay for Visa but they have money to send them to Houston.

Real good planing.

Ent Sheldon say all de US base getting call up?

So why they did not call them to the US camp.

Lauren Schmidt, Jonelle Warrick, Liana Hinds, Kayla Taylor, Jessica DeLeon and Victoria Swift should be there.

1]; } ?>