April 25, 2024, 02:09:02 AM

Author Topic: We need some diversity on the team.  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
We need some diversity on the team.
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »

It will help with sponsors and crowd support.

Its a good strategy to get support, bring in Sabga son to play ball....  :devil:

Them Indians, Whites and Chinese need to step up they game.

It have some black indians in south who foot hard like tugs....

Wha allyuh say?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: We need some diversity on the team.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:31:10 AM »
Diversity is good, but culturally a number of these groups gravitate to other sports :( - it's hte same in the UK. There have been (questionable maybe) efforts for a decade or two to get more South Asians into football but not much success so far.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 02:44:17 AM »
Until India, Pakistan and Bangladesh can start regularly qualifying for the World Cup and playing decent ball it will be an uphill struggle to culturally attract them to football in any outside country.
The same applies to athletics.

This is not to say they don't have the talent to excel in football or athletics but until they generally view those sports as culturally attractive we will have an uphill battle to attract them in healthy numbers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:39:16 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »

Its a good strategy to get support, bring in Sabga son to play ball....  :devil:

Wha allyuh say?

play the best players regardless of colour and race... i want to see the best 11 playing for TT, forget diversity, winning is the bottom line... i remember some people telling me selection has been biased back home and continues to be so, can't comment on this but i have heard it many times from different sources...

i hope the coaches in TT keep in mind "say no to racism"

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »

Wha allyuh say?

play the best players regardless of colour and race... i want to see the best 11 playing for TT, forget diversity, winning is the bottom line... i remember some people telling me selection has been biased back home and continues to be so, can't comment on this but i have heard it many times from different sources...

Playing players regardless of race is all well and good at the NT, but often players of other ethnicities are discouraged much earlier than that, creating this true-but-false situation where the best 23 happen to be of the non-discriminated race. Of course positive discrimination isn't exactly great either... Which is why it's important to encourage and target under-represented groups at a young age whilst simultaneously stamping out any racism found.

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
I don't care for diversity. I care for talent and Trinidadians don't see color when we are winning. I never looked at the football or cricket team and thought... oh, we need more of this race or that race on the team. If you are discouraged from supporting your national team because you don't like the racial make-up of the team then you have problems.  2006 had everyone supporting and we only had one non-black player. No one cared. This is not an opportunity for affirmative action. Be good, make the team.

As for racism in early levels..  Look at all the schools with most east Indian students, how many Indians do they have on their intercol team. I don't buy that they are being fought down. They are just not that into playing football. Same way they are not that into track and field

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
BTW, if they could encourage more races to get into football I am all for it as it will increase the talent pool. But I am not for stratified sampling to make up national teams and neither should any level headed person.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
This kakahole they call Controversial is a real cat.

He making allyuh take this off course.

I never said to pick a man because he is ah indian or white or chinee.

To encourage other race into de game in T&T the TTFA need to have camps in places they live in and not just Mayaro (for example).

In de end, de other races have to step up they game as I mention in my original post, bt this jackass always covering he f00cking entire mouth over somebody kakahole.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:00:29 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »
I don't care for diversity. I care for talent and Trinidadians don't see color when we are winning. I never looked at the football or cricket team and thought... oh, we need more of this race or that race on the team. If you are discouraged from supporting your national team because you don't like the racial make-up of the team then you have problems.  2006 had everyone supporting and we only had one non-black player. No one cared. This is not an opportunity for affirmative action. Be good, make the team.

As for racism in early levels..  Look at all the schools with most east Indian students, how many Indians do they have on their intercol team. I don't buy that they are being fought down. They are just not that into playing football. Same way they are not that into track and field

Absolutely agree. Once the quality of football on display is of a high standard the crowds and sponsors will come on board. Whilst it's unfortunate that the corporate sponsors seem to climb out of the woodwork only after the bandwagon is rolling, I don't really see diversification of the team as a solution to this.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »

i agree and disagree with certain points, there must be talented players of all races playing football in trini, one of my cousins who captained st georges in intercol who happens to be mostly indian was an excellent footballer, had pace, skill, good football iq, ran the 100 at sub 11 seconds... so i doubt there isn't any who cannot play at intercol level... the question is are they being scouted, foreigners have a better eye for talent than locals.. maybe there should be a study on this in tt, that would be interesting to see, bc i am sure not all indians are playing cricket...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
This kakahole they call Controversial is a real cat.

He making allyuh take this off course.

I never said to pick a man because he is ah indian or white or chinee.

To encourage other race into de game in T&T the TTFA need to have camps in places they live in and not just Mayaro (for example).

In de end, de other races have to step up they game as I mention in my original post, bt this jackass always covering he f00cking entire mouth over somebody kakahole.

the syrian/lebanese businessmen in tt have invested heavily in cricket for many years and there wasn't a single sabga or elias on the team... it is about the entity and how well it is run and roi... right now they are not investing in football bc the fed and players need to step up their game... when they see more heart and results bc of that dedication to the team then you will see them invest, not bc a sabga is on the team...

i rather have educated discussions than the juvenile cussing you does partake in, uneducated discourses that are laced with cussing doesn't get our football anywhere, hence the reason fellahs like yourself not in charge, bc yuh just as ignorant like the idiots that got our football in the mess its in today

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »

Wha allyuh say?

Playing players regardless of race is all well and good at the NT, but often players of other ethnicities are discouraged much earlier than that, creating this true-but-false situation where the best 23 happen to be of the non-discriminated race. Of course positive discrimination isn't exactly great either... Which is why it's important to encourage and target under-represented groups at a young age whilst simultaneously stamping out any racism found.

some good points, but then you look at a player like roopie who seems to be talented and even coaches have said so but not one team in tt picked him up... so the question you have to ask yourself is why not? are coaches in tt still viewing certain races as not good enough?

central could have given him a contract but they opted not to, despite his talent...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:15:47 AM »
 I personally would welcome a team with some diversity; bigger pool + more exposure = bigger fan base. Could be a slippery slope though or a golden egg, if handled correctly. IMO - Big Biz loves a story, something different, a cause! 
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
I personally would welcome a team with some diversity; bigger pool + more exposure = bigger fan base. Could be a slippery slope though or a golden egg, if handled correctly. IMO - Big Biz loves a story, something different, a cause! 

when you say slippery slope, what do you mean?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:20 AM »
This is an intriguing topic in terms of  how we view our national team .  In relative terms is the composition of most national teams representing different countries reflective of their countries' population?   And to what degree is equal representation warranted to garner national support?

Should. Teams be more focused on having the most skilled and talented players rather than focus on ethnic representation? If a team is successful with the best players available, would that not suffice in garnering national general support?
 If in TNT's case, we the fans are truly supportive of our team and there is national identity, the regardless of the ethnic composition, the fans should support.

In examining some sports, it a papers that certain individuals from specific ethnic groups tend to participate- golf for example given the cost associated with participation may have individuals from a specific economic class or ethnicity- the same may be said for sailing
, swimming or equestrian . However at the end of the day once these individuals are wearing the national colours and are representing TnT internationally, by and large the support is there; especially if they achieve international success. Their achievements brings a sense of national prince for all of TNT.

So in my opinion, while there are merits to having representation,of the diverse ethnic population on the team, at the end of the day, a successful team is more important for national pride as oppose to ethnic pride.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
The same question must be put to TF, Rugby, Swimming, Cycling, Netball and Basketball.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
YEARS now Ive been hearing about the need for more diversity in the T&T team. YEARS now I have been hearing about the need to utilize all our youth demographic instead of just half of our youth demographic  so we are making sure were utilizing our country full talent. So what is being done in the communities at the U-15 and U-17 youth level to encourage the Indian youth demographic to engage in the sport.

Part of the problem is the CULTURAL MINDSET we have that this sport belong to a certain type or can only be played or mastered by a certain type. Still have this mindest although Iran just kicked our ass and will still kick our ass if we were play them tomorrow. Same mindset of a lot who think we are better than soccer playing America who don't know anything about football lol.. First change the cultural mindset and as a federation develop opportunities at the youth level to reach out to every youth in the country. If you think you can't do this then lets not have the conversation for another five years
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:02:04 PM by Sando prince »

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
I would like to see some video of some of these players.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »

Wha allyuh say?

some good points, but then you look at a player like roopie who seems to be talented and even coaches have said so but not one team in tt picked him up... so the question you have to ask yourself is why not? are coaches in tt still viewing certain races as not good enough?

central could have given him a contract but they opted not to, despite his talent...

Where did Roopie play college again? And where is he now? If he can play in our PFL, then he should have no trouble making it in the USL. Why not give that a shot?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:47 PM »
maybe the other races needs role models from within their race make it to the national level? 'if he/she can do it we most certainly can"

Look at cricket as a prime example. It's like within reach, if 'they' did it already.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »

Wha allyuh say?

Where did Roopie play college again? And where is he now? If he can play in our PFL, then he should have no trouble making it in the USL. Why not give that a shot?

you tell me bro, i am going off video and football supporter saying he is talented and others... i don't track his progress and i not launching a crusade either... I am happy with the talent we have presently on the national team, with the exception of the keeper, which we need to replace immediately...

all i am doing is asking questions bc it is ridiculous to say there are no other talented footballers in tt
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:17:41 PM by Controversial »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
The Roopie situation seems to be one of bad timing, but Central weren't the only one to pass on him. If he's good enough for the Pro League he can get a team in the US :)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »
who is roopie?

the current T&T team too tall. we need more short players on the side like messi and barcelona.

re: "south asian" in football in the europe, it have a setta half breed one now e.g neil taylor (swansea), rhys williams (boro), michael gambler...i mean chopra (blackpool), luciano narsingh (psv).

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
who is roopie?

the current T&T team too tall. we need more short players on the side like messi and barcelona.

re: "south asian" in football in the europe, it have a setta half breed one now e.g neil taylor (swansea), rhys williams (boro), michael gambler...i mean chopra (blackpool), luciano narsingh (psv).

Michael Roopchandsingh, played well in the states, has his own thread here; https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1LENN_enGB504GB504&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=michael+roopchandsingh&spell=1

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
baller or gangsta?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »
baller or gangsta?

I think they look pretty cool :p

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
yeah. if you never want a good work.

the heart = football thing is a old puma campaign. maybe roopie working for puma.

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »
maybe the other races needs role models from within their race make it to the national level? 'if he/she can do it we most certainly can"

Look at cricket as a prime example. It's like within reach, if 'they' did it already.

Lame. 

Do people really need to see someone of their own race doing something before they know they can do it to. How did Keshorn Walcott win that gold in the Javelin Throw. I've never seen a black person in that event before.

People are too caught up on race. And like I  said before, if it takes someone being of your own race for you to cheer to support your national team then you have issues.

If a bunch of young non-black Trinidadians were to start making the cricket team and the football team I wouldn't care. I'm just seeing Trinidadian.

I guess there are some people who have issues because I remember some people had a problem with Birchall being on the team and Leo coaching the team. But the ultimate lesson was learnt on the field of play.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
There is nothing stopping Any ethnic group from playing football in TT.Is there anything stopping any ethnic group from playing cricket? Absolutely NOT. So don't point allyuh fingers at TTFA. They can play minor league or TTFA football. If Chinese want to bring a team, they could do it. Yes, they go get plenty "fatigue". But there is nothing stopping them from doing that. Pre-60s TT, especially POS, there were a couple of so called "white boy" teams. Casuals, Shamrock, Queen's Park. Those are the ones I remebered.  But other teams had some "white" players also. I would see Notre Dame, Luton Town, Maple, Havard, Sporting Club and Malvern had some white players. Even though the "white" pop. was small, they used to represent in a big way in the old POSFL. But as the "white" pop decrease the clubs folded. Only QP is around due to cricket and the Oval. I don't know the make up of the team. I am sure the team is mixed.

DOC Engineering had a team in the pro-league. Khelewalas. How come the people in Central did not rally around that team. If I remembered correctly the owner brought in a couple of Afro-Guyanese(collie Hercules I remembered. Central never rally to the team. The fact is, that the people with the money have never supported football in a big way. When WC close to qualifying they on the bandwagon. In addition Jack has done irreparable damage to football. Such that now, the perception of any organization run by a Black man is friggin boo. At this moment Tim Kee have to swim upstream like a salmon to break this perception. I wish him luck.

So I would advise those who want diversity, is to start blooded the youths from young and encourage them to play football after high school. Bobby Sookram made TT because he was damn good and he loved football. Steve Khan was the same. Nobody had to beg them. They went out they and fight for their spot.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:33:24 PM by Deeks »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »

Lame. 

Do people really need to see someone of their own race doing something before they know they can do it to. How did Keshorn Walcott win that gold in the Javelin Throw. I've never seen a black person in that event before.

People are too caught up on race. And like I  said before, if it takes someone being of your own race for you to cheer to support your national team then you have issues.

If a bunch of young non-black Trinidadians were to start making the cricket team and the football team I wouldn't care. I'm just seeing Trinidadian.

I guess there are some people who have issues because I remember some people had a problem with Birchall being on the team and Leo coaching the team. But the ultimate lesson was learnt on the field of play.

true, but now that it's been done, black kids can say look KW did it, so we could too! You think young non-white Americans eh reaching for that presidency now that Mr. Obama did it? Nothing lame about what I said.

1]; } ?>