April 25, 2024, 12:10:32 PM

Author Topic: That Boult catch on Pollard  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That Boult catch on Pollard
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:04:35 AM »
Guess one way to describe it would be ...
If a player leaves the field of play for whatever reason ,standing outside the boundary. He then sees a 6 hit towards him ,he runs and jumps pushing off with the foot outside the boundary.
Dives into the field and makes the catch.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: That Boult catch on Pollard
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:39 AM »
Polly has done this a few times, but yes, v. good catch
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
Was an amazing catch  ,when I first saw it could not see what was wrong with it on replay.
But I just googled it ,it not in no way a legal catch .Look at it he dived from outside the field of play to take it .

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »
Was an amazing catch  ,when I first saw it could not see what was wrong with it on replay.
But I just googled it ,it not in no way a legal catch .Look at it he dived from outside the field of play to take it .

His momentum took him outside the field of play but initially he was on the field  when he caught the ball (and when the shot was played) ...the ball never went out of play ..he threw the ball back before he went over the boundary and jumped back to complete the catch....it's legal. Polly did that a few times too.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
I don't think polly ever did it like that.
The replay I saw on the Bleacher Report site was not shown on TV for us .
So what you guys  saying is its ok to dive from outside and catch the ball ?Because if thats allowed its a fair catch.But if you have to be standing in the field of play to catch a ball ii.e inbounds to be a fair catch, it was not legal.

socafighter

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
Its an illegal catch ...

Michael Murray: "Re the Boult "catch" to dismiss Pollard, Law 32.3 (e) states that a catch shall be considered to be fair if "...after being struck by the bat, the first contact with the ball is by a fielder, not touching or grounded beyond the boundary, who has some part of his person grounded within the boundary or WHOSE FINAL CONTACT WITH THE GROUND BEFORE TOUCHING THE BALL WAS ENTIRELY WITHIN THE BOUNDARY". So should actually have been awarded 6 runs."

DWolfman throws in the law book: "Law 19:4 The ball may be caught, subject to the provisions of Law 32, or fielded after it has crossed the boundary, provided that i) the first contact with the ball is by a fielder either with some part of his person grounded within the boundary, or whose final contact with the ground BEFORE touching the ball was within the boundary. Unless I am reading that wrong then that Boult catch should have not have stood and that law was amended precisely to clarify this. "

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
I don't think polly ever did it like that.
The replay I saw on the Bleacher Report site was not shown on TV for us .
So what you guys  saying is its ok to dive from outside and catch the ball ?Because if thats allowed its a fair catch.But if you have to be standing in the field of play to catch a ball ii.e inbounds to be a fair catch, it was not legal.

Boult catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw4LyJ9tnGY

Pollard catch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1CYzLYSQs

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
Oh...ok..ok...I see what you're saying now Quags....didn't pay enough attention to the videos. Yeah....the Boult catch shouldn't be legal.

when Polly went over the rope he set foot on the field again before he completed the catch....Boult didnt.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:35:14 AM by Michael-j »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
Yep ,it has to do on what is considered out of bounds.
I think Boult cheated here .He originally set out to make a fair and incredible catch ,but when he turned around to run back on the field ,he saw the ball falling so he gave up running and dived from out of bounds and so make a conscious decision to cheat .
The umpire came and spoke to him and whatever he said he got away with it.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
Yep ,it has to do on what is considered out of bounds.
I think Boult cheated here .He originally set out to make a fair and incredible catch ,but when he turned around to run back on the field ,he saw the ball falling so he gave up running and dived from out of bounds and so make a conscious decision to cheat .
The umpire came and spoke to him and whatever he said he got away with it.

I'm surprised the commentators didn't make anything of it though ( or at least I didn't hear them question it)....Knowing Fazeer's penchant for hearing himself bray about his encyclopedic knowledge of the game I would have expected him to say something  ;D

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
The gorilla monsoon of cricket ,by the time finishes speaking on the athleticism of the catch 2 overs would've passed. The NZ comms would've spotted it instantly. They don't miss a trick to help they side win.
Our comms tells the opposition how to out us lol.

1]; } ?>