April 23, 2024, 01:47:01 PM

Author Topic: We need some diversity on the team.  (Read 5408 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: We need some diversity on the team.
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
maybe the other races needs role models from within their race make it to the national level? 'if he/she can do it we most certainly can"

Look at cricket as a prime example. It's like within reach, if 'they' did it already.

Lame. 

Do people really need to see someone of their own race doing something before they know they can do it to. How did Keshorn Walcott win that gold in the Javelin Throw. I've never seen a black person in that event before.

People are too caught up on race. And like I  said before, if it takes someone being of your own race for you to cheer to support your national team then you have issues.

If a bunch of young non-black Trinidadians were to start making the cricket team and the football team I wouldn't care. I'm just seeing Trinidadian.

I guess there are some people who have issues because I remember some people had a problem with Birchall being on the team and Leo coaching the team. But the ultimate lesson was learnt on the field of play.

true, but now that it's been done, black kids can say look KW did it, so we could too! You think young non-white Americans eh reaching for that presidency now that Mr. Obama did it? Nothing lame about what I said.

I agree that role models are important for young athletes. When I was growing up, I used to put my imagination in Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, George Best,Billy Bremner,Peter Lorimer,Peter Osgood. Plus Iwas ah ball boy for Chelsea-Southampton in the Oval. I 2 feet away from Osgood, Peter Bonetti, Charlie Cook, Alan Hudson,Terry Payne. So any ah them Black? So why I wanted to be like them. When you have dreams as a lil kid, the colour of your hero is not that important. Why white kids like Pele and Michael Jordan?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »
I don't care for diversity. I care for talent and Trinidadians don't see color when we are winning. I never looked at the football or cricket team and thought... oh, we need more of this race or that race on the team. If you are discouraged from supporting your national team because you don't like the racial make-up of the team then you have problems.  2006 had everyone supporting and we only had one non-black player. No one cared. This is not an opportunity for affirmative action. Be good, make the team.

As for racism in early levels..  Look at all the schools with most east Indian students, how many Indians do they have on their intercol team. I don't buy that they are being fought down. They are just not that into playing football. Same way they are not that into track and field
Well said!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
baller or gangsta?

Depends on the mindset of the person who is judging. Is Birdman on the Miami Heat a baller or gangster?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »
yeah. if you never want a good work.

the heart = football thing is a old puma campaign. maybe roopie working for puma.

so players with tattoos can't get wuk? or play football?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 10:03:25 AM »
I personally would welcome a team with some diversity; bigger pool + more exposure = bigger fan base. Could be a slippery slope though or a golden egg, if handled correctly. IMO - Big Biz loves a story, something different, a cause! 

when you say slippery slope, what do you mean?

Sorry for de late reply.. A slippery slope because there are always at least two side to a coin. Some noble backside might see it as an opportunity to further create an isolationist approach in the call up's - like if dey protecting some sacred institution. Some Sanctity.

I'd open de flood gates. I'd set up shop in every sector. National programs that foster talent and embrace the talented as well as the hard working - I'd do this, as opposed to "old men" in their high places, passin dey bad mouth on de youths. So dam judgemental they are. Forsakin the fruit for the same ole roots dey chewin on for years.  Life is about change.

We make football attractive from early and make it inclusive and safe and welcoming. In short - Like sando say, We have to change de culture.

Lastly, dey always want warriors on the field right? Well guess what, we need warriors in de office too. Warriors willing to make strategic & sometimes risky decisions. 

Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
I'd open de flood gates. I'd set up shop in every sector. National programs that foster talent and embrace the talented as well as the hard working - I'd do this, as opposed to "old men" in their high places, passin

let me just ask a question here. When Central, Joe Public, Jabloteh put an advert.  for trials, are they asking for certain ethnic group, or is it open to everybody. Should football explicitly put out an adv. "Club So and So  is having tryouts for the upcoming season...blah, blah, blah...  All races are encouraged to attend". Should the clubs do that?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »
I personally would welcome a team with some diversity; bigger pool + more exposure = bigger fan base. Could be a slippery slope though or a golden egg, if handled correctly. IMO - Big Biz loves a story, something different, a cause! 

when you say slippery slope, what do you mean?

Sorry for de late reply.. A slippery slope because there are always at least two side to a coin. Some noble backside might see it as an opportunity to further create an isolationist approach in the call up's - like if dey protecting some sacred institution. Some Sanctity.

I'd open de flood gates. I'd set up shop in every sector. National programs that foster talent and embrace the talented as well as the hard working - I'd do this, as opposed to "old men" in their high places, passin dey bad mouth on de youths. So dam judgemental they are. Forsakin the fruit for the same ole roots dey chewin on for years.  Life is about change.

We make football attractive from early and make it inclusive and safe and welcoming. In short - Like sando say, We have to change de culture.

Lastly, dey always want warriors on the field right? Well guess what, we need warriors in de office too. Warriors willing to make strategic & sometimes risky decisions. 

great ideas brother, but as you said we need Warriors in the office, currently we don't have that and we need men with vision and foresight, right now sheldon is the only man standing..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
I'd open de flood gates. I'd set up shop in every sector. National programs that foster talent and embrace the talented as well as the hard working - I'd do this, as opposed to "old men" in their high places, passin

let me just ask a question here. When Central, Joe Public, Jabloteh put an advert.  for trials, are they asking for certain ethnic group, or is it open to everybody. Should football explicitly put out an adv. "Club So and So  is having tryouts for the upcoming season...blah, blah, blah...  All races are encouraged to attend". Should the clubs do that?

the only problem with that breds is that if clubs put that out there, people will assume it wasn't like that before... they open themselves up for inquiry, meaning they are almost saying only now are we being non discriminatory in selection of players

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

the only problem with that breds is that if clubs put that out there, people will assume it wasn't like that before... they open themselves up for inquiry, meaning they are almost saying only now are we being non discriminatory in selection of players

Quite. If you want to combat perceived racial discrimination, pointing out you're not racist isn't the best way to do it lol. Instead, you target specific communities, encourage positive change from a grass-roots level, and and talk with coaches and owners involved in order to highlight what might be a subconscious problem. There was a paper/article a decade or so ago that pointed out that blond kids are more likely to be scouted than other hair types, so highlighting our unconscious/subconscious biases can help move the problem forward, if one exists.

1]; } ?>