April 25, 2024, 04:28:11 PM

Author Topic: Friday 11 July,2014.. Guyana Amazon Warriors v Antigua Hawksbills @ 2 pm  (Read 1315 times)

socafighter

Caribbean Premier League T20 ..CPLT20 starts today
Published: Guardian
Friday, July 11, 2014
Vinode Mamchan

The much anticipated Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 tournament bowls off today with the opening match featuring Antigua Hawksbills and last year’s runners-up Guyana Amazon Warriors.

Billed the ‘greatest show in sport’, fans in Grenada are very excited about the tournament and a full house is expected for the opening clash which gets underway at 2 pm at the Grenada National Cricket Stadium.

Yesterday, the players from the Amazon Warriors and the Hawksbills had their final knock up in inclement weather. They will be hoping for better weather when the cricket bowls off later today.

Head coach of the Amazon Warriors, Roger Harper is confident.

“I am truly delighted to be back again. Last season I would say was a success for us, we topped the group stages and then finished second, so now we see the areas we need to work on in order to improve,” said Harper.

Harper (who coached the West Indies during the 2003 Cricket World Cup in South Africa), also said he is more than happy with his 15-man squad for the 2014 tournament.

He said: “We have seven Guyanese players in our team, in addition to a few new players like New Zealander, Corey Anderson, who is making his name on the international cricket stage, and Navin Stewart from Trinidad and Tobago who is a solid all-rounder.”

While he is disappointed not to have one of the Warriors' most influential players from last season, James Franklin, he feels his team is one to be reckoned with.

“James Franklin delivered the x-factor last season and I am very disappointed not to have him back. I do however believe that we have a squad capable of giving any team a hard time,” said Harper.
Red Steel pumped and ready

T&T’s Red Steel is keen and ready to go into action against the Barbados Tridents tomorrow. The local boys will open their campaign at the Grenada National Cricket Stadium at 10.30 am and everything, according to manager Colin Borde, is in place.

“It rained all day today, so the boys were basically inactive. However, tomorrow we have a session at the match venue carded for 8.30 am. We are hoping that the weather holds because we need to get in some time out there, to fine tune before we take the field on Saturday,” Borde said.

“We are as confident as can be, we have prepared well and the foreign guys have settled in nicely. The team spirit, which is so important is great as you would expect with Dwayne Bravo around.

“At the end of the day this tournament is going to be very competitive because the talent is nicely shared around. In the end the team that wants it the most will be the one to take the crown.”

Friday 11 July,2014..  Guyana Amazon Warriors v Antigua Hawksbills @ 2 pm

Friday 11 July

2:00pm

Guyana Amazon Warriors v Antigua Hawksbills

National Cricket Stadium, Grenada

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:29:06 PM by socafighter »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
2pm ? Stueps
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
How the crowd looking
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why have this game at 2pm?  I thought the objective is to have as big a crowd as possible?  These administrators never cease to baffle me.

socafighter

Amazon Warriors vs Hawksbills - CPLT20
Amazon Warriors  140/8 19.3ovrs
Hawksbills 136/8 

Guyana Amazon WAR won by 2 wkts ( MOM : Ramdin)

socafighter

Ramdin, narine the difference
Amazon Warriors strike first as CPL opens

By \\\\\Garth Wattley in St George’s
Story Created: Jul 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM ECT
Express

“I wouldn’t say it was the perfect start, it was a good start.” The first match of the 2014 Limacol Caribbean Premier League went down to the last over, with Sunil Narine ending slight anxiety for the Guyana Amazon Warriors with a lofted boundary off Carlos Brathwaite to complete a two-wicket win.

That the game lasted until three balls to go would have pleased the Grenadians who turned out at the National Cricket Stadium on a day when the sun never shone to see the action. But Warriors captain Denesh Ramdin was not pleased that his side lost eight wickets in getting to their target of 137 after they had restricted Antigua Hawksbills to 136 for eight in their 20 overs.

“I’m disappointed that as captain, the way I got out.  I should have carried right down to the end,” said Ramdin despite hitting a Man-of-the-Match 36-ball 51 (six fours, one six). Ramdin and Mohammad Hafeez had got their team’s run chase on track and virtually decided the match with a third wicket partnership of 59.

Ramdin also posted 33 for the fourth with Jimmy Neesham. But the captain was seventh out with 25 still needed, bowled by Carlos Brathwaite from a needless swipe. It took Narine with a calm, unbeaten 11 and Permaul (15) who was out to Sheldon Cottrell (4-0-24-3) with seven balls left to make victory certain.

Ramdin said himself and Hafeez should “take some knocks” for  not seeing the innings through to the end. But he could find no fault with Narine, who himself could have been Man of the Match despite not taking a wicket. “From the position we were in, we were expecting them to get 170, 175, but the way that Sunil Narine and Veerasammy Permaul (4-0-24-1) pulled it back was very crucial,” Ramdin noted.
Narine’s intervation from the fifth over altered the course of the Hawksbills innings after Ramdin had won the toss and asked the opposition to bat under the cloudy skies. Initially, it seemed that Marlon Samuels’ side would get a big total after the new opening pair of Ben Dunk and Shacaya Thomas rattled up 40 runs off 32 balls.

It was nearly all a Dunk onslaught. Brought in only this week to replace Kieran Powell who withdrew for personal reasons, Dunk--player of the tournament in the Big Bash League in Australia earlier this year—showed why. Playing as if on home soil, the Australian found the boundary with great ease, from ball one of the series bowled by Sheldon Cottrelll. His knock of 38 off just 21 balls included five fours and two sixes that seized the early initiative for the Hawksbills. It prompted skipper Ramdin to use his ace Narine to try to slow the tempo. That he did, bowling a maiden to Thomas (20, 32 balls, two fours), fizzing the ball past tentative prods.

Narine was a mystery none of the Hawksbills could solve, and made up for not taking a wicket by allowing just three runs in his four overs. The Hawksbills could not take off against him and the innings lost momentum from his first over.  Guyanese pacer Ronsford Beaton built on that Narine start in the next over by removing Dunk who miscued a drive and skied to Mohammad Hafeez in the mid-on region.

The pace dropped decidedly after that, despite Thomas and Danza Hyatt (36, 33 balls, three fours, one six) putting together 60 for the second wicket. But once Hyatt was run out in the 16th over, the runs dried up. Samuels’ dry run with the bat continued, as he too was run out for just four as the Hawksbills managed just 36 runs after the first two partnerships. Samuels reckoned his side was about 20 runs short yesterday. But that was in no small way due to the way Narine stood tall again.

1]; } ?>