March 28, 2024, 12:51:55 PM

Author Topic: T&T brand name removed Captain Bravo slams decision  (Read 6421 times)

socafighter

T&T brand name removed Captain Bravo slams decision
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
T&T brand name removed
Captain Bravo slams decision

By BY Garth Wattley
Story Created: Jul 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM ECT
Express

The Limacol Caribbean Premier League (LCPL) found itself in a brand name controversy yesterday after Dwayne Bravo, captain of the Red Steel slammed the decision to remove the Trinidad and Tobago brand from the name.

The LCPL is a franchise-based Twenty20 cricket competition which began last year with the six competing teams carrying the names of the countries in which they are based.  Teams however are made up of players from various Caribbean territories and further overseas.
The second season of the League started here on Friday.

But it was only yesterday at the National Cricket Stadium here, when he went out to spin the toss for his team’s first match against the Barbados Tridents—captained by his T&T colleague Kieron Pollard—that Bravo was officially told of the name change.
He was not pleased.

“I got some news this morning and I was very disappointed to hear that Trinidad and Tobago has been removed from the Red Steel team,” he announced to the media in a post-match news conference following his side’s seven-wicket victory. Bravo went a lot further.
“I think whoever made that decision, it’s uncalled for. Ninety per cent of the team are from Trinidad and Tobago. We are using the national colours. All the other islands are proud to use their country’s name, whether it is the Barbados Tridents, the Jamaica Tallawahs, why not Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel?

In the team that played yesterday, six of the 11 were T&T nationals.
An emotional Bravo added: “I play a lot, heart and soul for Trinidad and Tobago. I’ve done a lot for my country and will continue to do so. The people in the front are the ones who are gonna suffer the most to know that our country (name) has been removed and at the end of the day, we are representing Trinidad and Tobago and that brand is very important for me, and I’m going to continue to use Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel team.”

Bravo also said his “players are very disappointed...Everyone is disappointed.”
Asked whether he knew who had made the decision, Bravo said he did not.
However,  the LPCL confirmed to the Sunday Express by e-mail that the request for the removal of the Trinidad and Tobago name from the Red Steel franchise had come from the Minister of Sport, Anil Roberts; a fact Roberts also confirmed yesterday.
Bravo yesterday however, was firm in his feelings.
“Maybe I might get in trouble for it, but so be it. I believe it’s the right way... Every time I am leading this team, I’m going to use Trinidad and Tobago and ensure that my country gets full mileage from this big international tournament...
“Whoever made the decision, call them a bunch of jokers. There are other things they should be taking on and studying.”

Bravo was also confident that when the Red Steel get to Trinidad for three “home” games, that the public would get behind the side.
“We know our fans are going to come out and support us no matter what the situation is... I mean, when you look at the IPL, you have Chennai Super Kings, you have Mumbai Indians. Not all the players are from Mumbai; not all the players from Chennai; NBA, Miami Heat, not everybody from Miami, so what is the big deal?

“At the end of the day, people need to understand it’s sport. Move on.” •

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T brand name removed Captain Bravo slams decision
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »
Bravo is a f**king hypocrite . He really does not   gives  a damn  about the franchise name .
 He is a f**king mercenary and  is pretending  like her cares .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:14:41 AM by Ramgoat »

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »
Removing the country name is the right thing to do.  This is not the T&T national team.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »
Bravo is a f**king hypocrite . He really does not   gives  a damn  about the franchise name .
 He is a f**king mercenary and  is pretending  like her cares .
Why because he works ? Should he stay in TnT and get a government job instead ?.
Every sports person in the world completes in tournaments for money if available except NCAA students.
So why only cricketers are called mercenaries.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »
Maybe Duane wrong here the owners of the CPL having no rights to the Trinidad And Tobago name brand.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »
Then they should remove the country names on the other teams too.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
If they want too ,they could.
The government maybe don't want a water downed version of the red force parading as the National team.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
POS Red Steel could live wit that.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »
POS Red Steel could live wit that.

That was the original proposal if I am not mistaken, POS Red Steel, Kingston Tallewahs, Bridgetown Tridents etc  Would make more sense from a franchise perspective anyway
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »
But if they name it Port of Spain ,then why give it red steel a rip of the NT .
Some thing like ,
Pos Rebels
Pos Pirate's
Pos Oilmen.
Pos ...
They had the chance to be original and blew it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »
Please say Port-of-Spain Red Steel. POS can denote something dealing with latreen!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
Some thing like ,
Pos Rebels
Pos Pirate's
Pos Oilmen.
Pos ...

Could use Renegades, Invaders, Desperados, All Stars, Silver Stars.  It have plenty Corbeaux in Port of Spain.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
Instead of the Red Steel it should have been Black Gold.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
Yeah, I like Black Gold, but like u saidm they blew it
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
Yeah am liking black gold also .Black shirt with gold oil rig on it,with gold trim.

socafighter

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

My suggestion would be, since we blew it Red Flatulence Gas ...

Well ...er ....we gats lots of Gas ..don't we  ????

:rotfl:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:04:26 AM by socafighter »

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
Deeks!
Some thing like ,
Pos Rebels
Pos Pirate's
Pos Oilmen.
Pos ...

Could use Renegades, Invaders, Desperados, All Stars, Silver Stars.  It have plenty Corbeaux in Port of Spain.
Deeks! You might be on to something. I think Corbeaux Town could work! :)
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

socafighter

NAME SWITCH GETS THUMBS UP
Red Steel franchise not exclusive to T&T players

By \\\\\ Roger Seepersad
Story Created: Jul 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM ECT
Express

While the Red Steel skipper Dwayne Bravo voiced his disapproval of the decision to remove the Trinidad and Tobago brand from the name of the Caribbean Premier League Red Steel franchise, Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) executive member Baldath Mahabir and TTCB CEO Suruj Ragoonath both agreed with the move.

The Limacol Caribbean Premier League is a franchise-based Twenty20 cricket competition which began last year with the six competing teams carrying the names of the countries in which they are based. 
The teams are however made up of players from various Caribbean territories and further overseas. The second season of the League started in Grenada last Friday and Bravo, captain of the Red Steel, slammed the decision to remove the Trinidad and Tobago brand from the name.

“I think whoever made that decision, it’s uncalled for. Ninety per cent of the team are from Trinidad and Tobago. We are using the national colours. All the other islands are proud to use their country name, whether it is the Barbados Tridents, the Jamaica Tallawahs, why not Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel?”

The LCPL confirmed to the Express by e-mail that the request for the removal of the Trinidad and Tobago name from the Red Steel franchise had come from the Minister of Sport Anil Roberts, who confirmed this, stating: “Trinidad and Tobago is exclusive for national teams of T&T.’’

“This CPL franchise (the Red Steel) is not a national team and does not consist of wholly and solely of citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, therefore they have no permission whatsoever to utilise the brand of Trinidad and Tobago which must be jealously guarded for citizens of Trinidad and Tobago,” stressed Roberts.

Meanwhile, Ragoonath supported the move to remove T&T from the name of the franchise and said it was something the TTCB also requested. “We had requested that this be done earlier,” he told the Express yesterday.

“We feel that the franchise do not really represent the national team so to speak, and Trinidad and Tobago is a sovereign country and the franchise is not owned by the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board but it is owned by a private entity so it is more appropriate given the fact that it is not really representing Trinidad and Tobago, but the franchise holder, that Trinidad and Tobago should not be on their name.”
“Maybe if it was the Port of Spain Red Steel that might be more appropriate. I think it is a good idea that it is not named after the country and I think this should obtain throughout the region and not only in Trinidad and Tobago,” Ragoonath added.

Mahabir also suggested that the franchises be named after the cities where they are based rather than the country. “In reality it is a franchise team and not a Trinidad and Tobago team. One might want to look at naming it after something Trinidadian or Tobagonian, some kind of derivative of the name or rather the city in which the franchise is based, like the Indian Premier League,” said Mahabir.

“Something like the Port of Spain Red Steel which would be similar to what is used in the IPL like Chennai or Bangalore or Mumbai rather that to use the name of a country,” he added.

socafighter

Statement by T&T Sport Minister Mon, Jul 14, '14

Trinidad & Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago's Ministry of Sport has released a written statement from Anil Roberts, the Minister of Sport, regarding the discontinuation of the name "Trinidad and Tobago" by the CPLT20 franchise originally known as "Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel".

With respect to the use of Trinidad and Tobago as part of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) franchise team Red Steel's title, the Honourable Anil Roberts, Minister of Sport releases the following statement.

The name Trinidad and Tobago is reserved exclusively for citizens and nationals of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. The Trinidad and Tobago brand, as it relates to national, regional and international sporting competition, is for the exclusive use of National Governing Bodies (NGBs) which are duly constituted and recognised by the government and people of Trinidad and Tobago as the representatives of their respective sports. The 49 NGBs, funded by the Ministry of Sport and the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, select national athletes and national teams based on the fundamental criteria that all athletes are citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. Therefore, with specific regard to cricket, the brand Trinidad and Tobago can only be attached to national teams duly selected by the Trinidad & Tobago Cricket Board.

The CPL, as a private organisation engaging in a for-profit enterprise, builds team franchises that may consist of nationals from countries across the globe, based in a particular country. The CPL does not meet the criteria stated above and therefore cannot include the use our beloved country's to distinguish their Red Steel franchise.

Nowhere in the world are sport franchises given country names. The IPL, the NBA, the EPL, the NFL and all other franchises carry the name of city or region e.g. Mumbai Indians, Boston Celtics, Manchester United, New Orleans Saints. If this were not so, we could possibly see James Rodriguez or Cristiano Ronaldo or Andrea Pirlo or Yaya Toure suiting up for Argentina in tomorrow's World Cup finals! So the position is clear, and will continue to be clear for centuries to come, that the brand Trinidad and Tobago is owned by a sovereign nation and can only be attached to teams that are 100% comprised and representative of citizens of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.

During several meetings held with leaders of the CPL, they accepted their error in using name Trinidad and Tobago during the 2013 tournament. The CEO clearly understood the argument made by the Minister and removed the name Trinidad and Tobago from all branding and signage representing the locally-based franchise in the 2014 CPL.

Minister Roberts wishes the owners of this private league the greatest financial success for the duration of the 2014 edition of the exciting T20 tournament. He however reiterates that there can be no negotiation, discussion nor compromise on the use of the sovereign name of Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean Premiere League.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If this were not so, we could possibly see James Rodriguez or Cristiano Ronaldo or Andrea Pirlo or Yaya Toure suiting up for Argentina in tomorrow's World Cup finals! So the position

That is a bit farfetch. And there are teams that do carry country names. Argentinos Juniors, Austria Wien, Espanyol de Barcelona, TSV Germania Windeck, Alemannia Aachen.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Cricket is dead.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
I still like TnT Black Gold.

socafighter

Speak up CPL Minister Roberts: Bravo outburst ‘unfortunate’
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
Speak up CPL
Minister Roberts: Bravo outburst ‘unfortunate’

By \\\\\ Roger Seepersad
Story Created: Jul 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM ECT
Express

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts is calling on the Limacol Caribbean Premier League to make a “clear and definitive statement” on the issue surrounding the removal of Trinidad and Tobago from the name of the Red Steel franchise.
In a letter to the Red Steel manager Colin Borde, which was copied to CPL CEO Damien O’Donohoe and T&T Cricket Board president Azim Bassarath, Roberts said he expects Bravo to recant “his unfortunate outburst” and also expects the CPL to make a statement “outlining very clearly the cordial and respectful meetings and discussions that were held before the eventual outcome.”

Roberts’ letter comes on the heels of comments made by Bravo who voiced his disappointment over the name change saying “Whoever made the decision, call them a bunch of jokers. There are other things they should be taking on and studying.”
Although Bravo said he did not know who made decision, he said: “I think whoever made that decision, it’s uncalled for. Ninety per cent of the team are from Trinidad and Tobago. We are using the national colours. All the other islands are proud   to use their country name, whether it is the Barbados Tridents, the Jamaica Tallawahs, why not Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel?”
Yesterday, Borde, who is in Guyana with the Red Steel preparing for their game against the Guyana Amazon Warriors tomorrow, confirmed that he received the letter and that it was discussed with Bravo and the team.

However he insisted that “the CPL will comment on those matters regarding Trinidad and Tobago and the name and so on, we are focusing on the team issues and cricket matters here. The CPL will make the requisite comments on that.”
In his letter, Roberts reiterated his position saying “Any national team in this country that has the distinct privilege of calling itself Trinidad and Tobago comprises the country’s absolute best in that sport.”

“How can a team be called Trinidad and Tobago in the absence of Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Denesh Ramdin, Lendl Simmons, Ravi Rampaul and others? If we are not offering our best, how is it even possible to even suggest that this franchise team is worthy of donning the name of our sovereign nation. Why would we put that out there as a representation to world of who we are?”

Roberts also pointed out that the change of name followed a series of eight meetings with members of the CPL executive, including one with the CEO, two months ago.
“This was not a decision. It is simply that the protocols surrounding the use of our beloved country’s name would not allow this private team to be branded Trinidad and Tobago. There will be no negotiation, neither any compromise. Trinidad and Tobago’s name, cannot and will not be used in this privately run venture that has absolutely no involvement with the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board, the only recognised cricket sporting body in the world with the right to use our country’s name,” the letter stated.
“The Red Steel Franchise team is not made up wholly and solely of Trinidad and Tobago nationals. It is not selected, endorsed prepared or sanctioned by the sport’s recognised local body the TTCB. Furthermore, the Red Steel team does not represent the best this country has to offer. It is not a Trinidad and Tobago team,” the letter concluded.
Borde said the players were not distracted by the issue surrounding the team name and is focused on their task.

“We have gotten one game out of the way and we are coming up against a formidable team and both parties know each other well. We are as focused as ever. We are here to play cricket as professionals,” the Red Steel manager insisted.

socafighter

Re: Speak up CPL Minister Roberts: Bravo outburst ‘unfortunate’
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »

Anil Roberts: CPL agreed to drop T&T last year
Published: Guardian
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Vinode Mamchan

Organisers of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 tournament agreed to remove T&T from the Red Steel team since last year, according to a letter from sports minister Anil Roberts which was sent to Damien O’Donogue, chief executive officer of the League, last week. Roberts’ letter, which was copied to Red Steel manager Colin Borde and president of the T&T Cricket Board (TTCB) Azim Bassarath, indicated that the minister held eight cordial meetings with CPL officials who agreed since last year to remove T&T from the franchise name.

Over the weekend, an irate Red Steel captain Dwayne Bravo revealed in Grenada that he was informed of the decision to remove T&T from the team’s name on the eve of the opening match against Barbados Tridents. He said CPL officials handed him a release which stated that Roberts had requested that T&T be withdrawn from the franchise. Bravo said he would continue to use the T&T brand and was prepared to deal with it if he got into trouble. In his letter, Roberts said the onus was on CPL to inform Bravo of the development. “It was expected that you would have informed Mr Bravo at his signing with the team of the mandated alteration to the team’s name and advise him of all the necessary protocols involved in the use of the name of a sovereign nation.”

Roberts slammed Bravo calling his outburst at the toss completely disrepectful and improper. “As an employee in a privately run tournament, it is improper and completely disrespectful for him to publicly challenge the rules and regulations regarding the use of a country’s name and also publicly attempt to belittle the valid concerns and legal responsibilities of an elected representative of that nation’s Government. “I also would expect the CPL to make a very clear and definitive public statement on the issue, outlining very clearly the cordial and respectful meetings and discussions that were held before the eventual outcome.

“Based on what I have read in the press, it seems that Mr Bravo only was informed that the name T&T could not be used just before the start of the Red Steel’s first match. Please inform your charge that this development followed a series of eight meetings with members of the CPL executive, including one with the CEO, two months ago. This was not a decision. It is simply that the protocols surrounding the use of our beloved country’s name would not allow this private team to be branded T&T. There will be no negotiation, neither any compromise. T&T’s name, cannot and will not be used in this privately run venture that has absolutely no involvement with the T&T Cricket Board, the only recognised cricket sporting body in the world with the right to use our country’s name. These were principles the CPL executive recognised and understood last year when it was agreed by all that the T&T name would be dropped from the Red Steel team. Mr Bravo’s outburst suggests that either he is publically going against the mandates of his employer or the CPL is backtracking on its earlier agreement to respect the regulations surrounding the use of the name T&T.”

Roberts went on to explain that Bravo’s statement on the weekend made his point even stronger. “His references to the use of city names in other franchises across the world add strength to my previous argument that no country uses their name for franchise teams, not even states. Only cities allow their names to be used.

A key issue here is the sovereignty of each nation. City names have an entirely different set of protocols regarding their use and by their very nature, cities have transient populations so it is difficult to make a claim of being a citizen of a city but in terms of a country, the regulations and official citizen recognitions are very clear. “As a matter of fact, even within the United States, there are certain states that require you to be resident in that state for at least six months and demonstrate proof of that residency before you can represent that state in a sporting competition. Hence the reason all of the franchise teams are named after cities.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
I can understand the logic behind removing TT. But unless it infringing on some kind of copyright issue(in my opinion), I don't see why TT can't be used. But I will hold back judgement as things go along. Using the City name is not a bad idea. But then Sando and Tobago may have issues with that too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:39:53 AM by Deeks »

socafighter

CPL: Red Steel not based in T&T
Published: Guardian
Thursday, July 17, 2014
Vinode Mamchan

Damien O’Donohoe...CPL Chief Executive Officer.

In light of the Minister of Sport, Anil Roberts requesting that officials of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) remove T&T from the Red Steel name, Damien O'Donohoe, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the CPL has responded by saying that the Red Steel franchise is not based in T&T.

Roberts wrote to O'Donohoe on Tuesday and asked him to make a public statement on whether or not the CPL had agreed to drop T&T from the name. Roberts said that a while now CPL had agreed but yet the name was still being bandied around.

O'Donohoe responded by stating: “CPL can confirm that it has agreed to omit the words ‘T&T’ from the Red Steel team name based on a request from the Minister of Sport due to his view that the use of the country name ‘infringes’ on the protocols surrounding the use of the name and the sovereignty of the nation.

"CPL would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that the Red Steel team is not a franchise that is based in T&T. It is a team selected from the fantastic talent pool across the country. The team is not restricted to play its home games in T&T, and ultimately, any decision on where the team is based is dependent on the commitment and support that CPL has already enjoyed with other Governments and owners.

"The fans in T&T are second to none. They were fantastic supporters of CPL during its first year, and we look forward to bringing more games to T&T, no matter where the franchise is based."

Information reaching the T&T Guardian was that the three matches scheduled for later this month in Trinidad will remain at the Queen's Park Oval, Port-of-Spain.

A source close to the situation said that there is no truth to the fact that the matches were going to be moved to St Kitts, where the finals weekend will be played.

socafighter

I am hoping the T&T public don't support them...so they leave... :cursing: :cursing:

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why this sh*t only happens to Trinidad and Tobago?
Most of the damn teams have our players and there isn't any recognition?

:frustrated:

Always using and abusing us.  :bs:
whey boy!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I am hoping the T&T public don't support them...so they leave... :cursing: :cursing:

What is the uproar about. From day one everybody, at least the bigwigs knew what the situation was. They agreed to designating foreigners to play in every country. And also had players from each "island'(Guyana is not an island  ;D) play for another island. Pollard for B'dos. So what is the big friggin deal. Then move the team from TT. Asked the franchise holder to drop TT. Play in another "island". Why JA, Guy, Barbados not complaining.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »
See what happens when gov't put money in sports.

1]; } ?>