Sports > What about Track & Field

Michelle-Lee Ahye Thread

<< < (3/24) > >>

Peong:
In the 200m race the commentator like he didn't want to call her name.  I guess he expected the race to be all Veronica.
I was concerned but a cramp is good news.  Good luck to her.

Socapro:
Ahye cops sprint Swiss double
Published: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s Michelle-Lee Ahye grabs her leg on the track, after the women’s 100m race, at the International Athletics Meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland, yesterday. AP Photo

Michelle Lee Ahye’s preparation for this month’s Commonwealth Games continued in full swing yesterday, when she won her fourth consecutive 100m dash on European soil, before doubling up with a 200m win, at the annual Spitzen meeting in Lucerne,Switzerland. There was some cause for concern, however, as T&T’s fastest woman pulled up following the second race clutching her hamstring. It was later revealed that she suffered cramps following her victory in the 200 metres.

Ahye, who ran a world leading time of 10.85 seconds at the T&T National Championships last month, clocked 11.09 into a -0.7m/s headwind yesterday, well ahead of USA’s Tianna Bartoletta who finished second in 11.20. She remains undefeated for the year after 10 100m events. Only three days prior, the 22-year-old multiple Carifta and Pan American Junior champion won the 100m at the Glasgow Grand Prix in 11.01 seconds, and less than two weeks ago, she won the Diamond League 100m in Lausanne in 10.98 to beat Murielle Ahoure of the Ivory Coast, who was credited with the same time.

Ahye was not done after her success in the 100m. An hour later, she maintained her winning momentum to cop the double with her 200m in 22.77 seconds into a -0.9m/s headwind, finishing ahead of double world junior champion Anthonique Strachan of the Bahamas, who clocked 22.98 seconds. The mark equalled her personal best, which she also clocked in Port of Spain in a -1.1m/s headwind in Port-of-Spain last month.

Socapro:
Sprint queen wins Lucerne double
Wednesday, July 16 2014 (T&T Newsday)

TRINIDAD AND Tobago sprinter Michelle Lee Ahye completed a remarkable sprint double yesterday, taking gold in the women’s 100-metre and 200m events at the International Athletics Meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland.

But what was supposed to be a joyous occasion for the 22-year-old ended up in a scare as her medal in the 200m final looked to have come at a high price.

Locked in battle with Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown with about 50m to go, Ahye, running out of lane two, stepped on the accelerator and there was no catching her as she pulled away impressively from the field. In full control and striding powerfully towards the finish line, Ahye began to grimace with about 10 metre left and hobbled across the line clutching her left hamstring as she collapsed to the turf.

With just seven days to go for the start of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, TT will be hoping it is nothing too serious that would deny her the chance of representing this country. The local athlete took to Twitter yesterday to allay the fears of her fans, stating “hey everyone I’m okay it’s nothing serious was just a cramp.”

Just last week Ahye stunned the world with a golden finish at the Diamond league Meeting in Glasgow, edging out Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce for first in the 100m in a time of 11.01 seconds.

Ahye, unbeaten, this season, showed her class again yesterday with a 22.77 finish even while limping across the line. Coming in second was Anthonique Strachan of the Bahamas in 22.99 while Tiffany Townsend of the USA followed in 23.03.

Ahye had earlier claimed the gold in the 100m final in a sizzling 11.09 seconds ahead of Tianna Bartoletta of the USA who timed 11.20 and Jamaica’s Schillonie Calvert who clocked 11.32.

Ahye has had a phenomenal 2014, scorching the tracks around the world and enticing her local fans after she sprinted away with gold in the 100m and 200m events at the National Championships last month.

In the men’s 100m final yesterday, Jamaican Asafa Powell, in his first race since the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) reduced his doping ban from 18 months to six months, had to settle for a bronze medal. Jamaican Julian Forte clinched the gold in a modest 10.23 while Antoine Adams of St Kitts and Nevis took the silver in 10.29. Powell had a time of 10.30. Trinidad and Tobago’s Keston Bledman was in the final but came in fourth position.

Socapro:
NAAA boss impressed by Ahye’s form
By JOEL BAILEY Wednesday, July 16 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Ephraim Serrette, NAAA President

PRESIDENT OF the National Association of Athletic Administrations (NAAA) Ephraim Serrette is impressed by the consistency being shown by national 100-metre and 200m champion Michelle-Lee Ahye.

On Saturday, Ahye continued her gold medal form in Europe this season with her ninth successive victory, in the 100m at the Glasgow Grand Prix in Scotland.

The 22-year-old crossed the finish line in 11.01 seconds, ahead of two-time Olympic gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (11.10).

According to Serrette, “it’s always a good feeling to know that you have athletes performing at a particular level. Michelle has been performing from the primary school stage, right to where she is now.”

The former national sprinter added, “it’s not that she’s just popped on the stage. She has been performing at a high level, at primary school, to the junior level and now she’s on the international scene.

“I think this may just be the transition and she’s doing quite well.”

Ahye has propelled herself to become the year’s fastest female 100m runner to date.

“She has moved to a camp in Houston (Texas) some time ago and I guess the work there and the attitude that she may have adopted, as well as the running of the 200 metres,” said Serrette.

“A lot of our sprinters tend not to run 200 and I think that augurs well for our 100 metres,” he added.

“I think that’s one of our failures. She never liked to run the 200 but I think she has done so now. I think it’s paying off well for her in the 100 metres.”

With the Commonwealth Games approaching, Ahye has put herself as a gold medal threat for the Games in Glasgow.

“She is, at the present time, the world leader, (with) the best time in the world by a female sprinter,” Serrette noted.

“But that does not translate dramatically into a Commonwealth gold medal, it’s the performance on the day.

“I just hope that she remains healthy and could perform at that same level when representing Trinidad and Tobago at the Commonwealth level.”

A number of Olympic and World medallists are also on the national squad for the Commonwealth Games, including Keshorn Walcott, Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Lalonde Gordon and Jehue Gordon.

The national athletes are currently competing on the European circuit and Serrette stated, “it’s good that the Commonwealth Games is in a time when all the athletes are available and in a year where there is no competing events.

“The last Commonwealth Games was held in Delhi in October (2010), which (was) in the off- season for athletes. The timing this year is very good and all athletes are available.”

Deeks:
Ouch!!!. Stay healthy, Babe!! God Bless!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version