April 25, 2024, 07:04:30 AM

Author Topic: The Pro League should run from End of March to Early December.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It is seriously time for this switch. Many National Coaches including Hart and Pro League coaches have called for the switch.

F.S if you can contribute here. Is it the club owners who decide these things or is it the Pro League board and Skeene? because I have heard its the clubs.

Benefits of running it from end of March to early December:

1) Post Carnival start = All facilities available, no delays during Carnival season causing fixture congestion.

2) Top 2 teams benefit if they are in Concacaf CL as the group games are August-October. The players will be in season and be fit and have good match rhythm.

3) International Windows are between March and November. Better for National Team selection as local players will be fit and can showcase their talents on the International Stage resulting in a possible transfer aka TRANSFER FEE to the local club which is a business at the end of the day.

4) Possible pre season camps in USA Mexico South America. Showcasing local talent etc.

It is seriously time for this change. I can't believe all the clubs don't see the positives of this.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: The Pro League should run from End of March to Early December.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »
It is seriously time for this switch. Many National Coaches including Hart and Pro League coaches have called for the switch.

F.S if you can contribute here. Is it the club owners who decide these things or is it the Pro League board and Skeene? because I have heard its the clubs.

Benefits of running it from end of March to early December:

1) Post Carnival start = All facilities available, no delays during Carnival season causing fixture congestion.

2) Top 2 teams benefit if they are in Concacaf CL as the group games are August-October. The players will be in season and be fit and have good match rhythm.

3) International Windows are between March and November. Better for National Team selection as local players will be fit and can showcase their talents on the International Stage resulting in a possible transfer aka TRANSFER FEE to the local club which is a business at the end of the day.

4) Possible pre season camps in USA Mexico South America. Showcasing local talent etc.

It is seriously time for this change. I can't believe all the clubs don't see the positives of this.

Great idea, any reason this wasn't implemented before?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »
Allyuh already forget this was the original format of the PFL in its first couple years. Why do you think it was changed to a similar calendar format like the leagues in Europe?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
Allyuh already forget this was the original format of the PFL in its first couple years. Why do you think it was changed to a similar calendar format like the leagues in Europe?

I agree our football schedule should go back to the way it was long before. football and rugby is rainy season sports, July to December. Our proleague is not dynamic enough to run on a Euro schedule. We have a 10 ten league that barely drawing interest. Why have a long protracted season. Have a short contracted season season, seeing our that the current football fan does not have the euro football mentality for TT football.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »

As Sando prince pointed out, the original Pro League calendar ran from March/April to November/December. The current calendar which aligns itself with the European Leagues was started with the 2011/12 season. This change was suggested by Skeene and other Pro League officials. The stated reason was to link culture (Carnival) and sport.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »

As Sando prince pointed out, the original Pro League calendar ran from March/April to November/December. The current calendar which aligns itself with the European Leagues was started with the 2011/12 season. This change was suggested by Skeene and other Pro League officials. The stated reason was to link culture (Carnival) and sport.

The link between those two eh wukkin!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
Men have short memory here or don't really follow football?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »

Thanks tallman I had forgotten it was those dates originally.. And the carnival reference ... Well I believe some more discussion needs to go into it..

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
The experiment in following the European leagues was also to take advantage of transfer windows. The Pro League have been debating the change back for several months now. My only issue is that clubs would need to enter CFU in their pre season. It doesn't matter how good we are in August for Champions League if we don't get past the CFU!

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
The experiment in following the European leagues was also to take advantage of transfer windows. The Pro League have been debating the change back for several months now. My only issue is that clubs would need to enter CFU in their pre season. It doesn't matter how good we are in August for Champions League if we don't get past the CFU!

When is the CFU?

Sorry if you rather be underprepared for CFU vs Concacaf.. I'm certain you would prefer to face Galaxy while in season than during pre season.

MLS transfer windows are a open during the European windows too....it's not like Pro league clubs doing that great transfer wise anyway(with the new format)

The move to March-December is best for the national team as it allows local players to be in top condition when the foreign based join them resulting in better chances to showcase themselves.

If the pro league was guaranteed to start in August and end late May then fine but the fact is they always start delayed and rumors are floating about it may start late October early November this season... The national team has 6 games between September and November.

When they have a handful of local players I don't want to hear any excuses from any local clubs ...the fact is the league is a joke and until they align with Concacaf and stick to a consistent start and end date it will continue to be a joke and the National team will have a small amount of local potential.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »
As I read this thread, it occurred to me: Dexter Skeene is perhaps the most silent ... least controversial? ... public personality in local football. Thoughts?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
All this talk. Me ent see no big difference in performance of local nationals or local club teams from the previous period to now. We stay getting licks outside the Caribbean. So it make no difference imho.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
Good thread with serious ramifications for the footballers and local football industry if this pooling of creative ideas is used constructively. Looking forward to the conclusive suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:09:33 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
All this talk. Me ent see no big difference in performance of local nationals or local club teams from the previous period to now. We stay getting licks outside the Caribbean. So it make no difference imho.

To be honest we are far off Concacaf's best teams. Being fitter and in season will not really help it that much as you say but my other points are valid especially the one about local players being in season during the International calender. It will assist Coach Hart massively.

If we want to compete in Concacaf it is simple. Our youth programs must be spot on with clubs and schools. The coaches have to be better. The sessions have to be those with intensity with the aim of improving tactical and technical qualities at pace. The facilities have to improve, the equipment etc. Better funding and more sponsors. THAT is the only blueprint to success.

1]; } ?>