April 26, 2024, 05:00:17 PM

Author Topic: Kevin Molino making strong case in USL PRO ahead of MLS jump in 2015  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Orlando City's Kevin Molino making strong case in USL PRO ahead of MLS jump in 2015.
By JC Camahan (MLSSoccer.com).

While Orlando City have been preparing for their move to MLS by pursuing global stars such as recently acquired Brazilian legend Kaká and potential transfer Robinho, the club’s first MLS signee is having a breakout season in USL PRO.

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino hasn’t had a lot of time to ponder what the 2015 roster might look like while helping the Lions (14-0-4, 46 points) remain unbeaten by way of an offensive explosion unlike any in his career.

“As a player that’s already signed for MLS, you always wonder who will come in and who you’ll be playing with next year,” Molino told MLSsoccer.com last week. “It’s great to see that a couple big names want to come here. It shows we’ve been doing some good over the past couple years.”

Entering Sunday’s match at Rochester, Molino leads the league in points (29) and assists (7) and ranks third in goals with 11 in 17 appearances. He was the first of five players to sign an MLS deal with the club for 2015 after he was originally discovered in his native Trinidad by head coach Adrian Heath.

“There was this little skinny kid on the right wing who kept catching my eye every time the ball went to him,” Heath said of the 5-foot-11, 145-pound Molino. “We were fortunate that he was out of a contract and so we brought him in here, and he’s gradually gotten better by the week. Now I think he’s close to being nearly complete. He’s starting to put goals and more assists to his game.”

Said Molino of Heath: “He’s someone that’s helped me a lot on and off the field. He’s someone I have full respect for, and I’m just delightful to work with coaches like Adrian and [assistant coach] Ian Fuller. I’m just happy to be here and looking forward to going to Major League Soccer next year.”

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:44:58 AM by Flex »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino making strong case in USL PRO ahead of MLS jump in 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
Good going Molino. Proud of you.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:09:31 AM »
Congrats, Kevin. I hope you do will in 2015. You also need to go to the weight room and stiffen up for the blade runners in the MLS.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
 :thumbsup: 

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
You also need to go to the weight room and stiffen up for the blade runners in the MLS.

I'm sure the USL has its share of bruisers, too.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
Orlando City's Kevin Molino eager to see Lions avenge loss to Harrisburg City
By J.C. Carnahan (Orlando Sentinel)

The impressive USL-PRO campaign being pieced together by Kevin Molino has drawn interest from a familiar Major League Soccer player.

Dom Dwyer reached out to Molino via text message on Wednesday, offering words of encouragement as the Orlando City Soccer Club midfielder inches closer to setting a new league record for goals scored in a season.

"He told me to keep going, to do good, and hopefully I'd break the record on Saturday," Molino said of the exchange. "That's really nice from Dom. He's a player that, even though he's the same age as me, I look up to him because of the way he trains, his desire for football and the way he played [in Orlando]."

Dwyer scored 15 goals for the Lions during the 2013 regular season while on loan from MLS' Sporting Kansas City.

Molino's 14 goals this year ties him for the USL-PRO lead entering Saturday's match against the Harrisburg City Islanders at the ESPN Wide World of Sport Complex. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Orlando City (15-2-4, 49 points) can secure a home playoff game with a win against the Islanders (9-8-6, 33 points).

Even as the goals keep mounting for Molino, the team's success continues to be at the forefront of his priorities.

"Most important for me is that I just want to win the league and help my teammates lift that title once again," Molino said. "As a player, you set certain goals and you want to achieve them. And I want to score as many goals as possible."

The Lions suffered their second league loss last week on the road as Harrisburg City held off a late rally for a 3-2 win. Orlando City coach Adrian Heath was so disappointed with the team's effort in the opening 45 minutes that he made three substitutions at halftime while trailing 2-0.

Playing a team in back-to-back matches could typically be cause for concern, but there's plenty favoring Orlando City entering the match. The Lions have lost only three USL-PRO regular season matches in Orlando since 2011 and enter the weekend with a 16-match unbeaten streak at home in league play.

Orlando City will get some much needed help on the defensive end with the return of midfielder Darwin Cerén and defender Luke Boden after each served one-game suspensions. Defender Rob Valentino has recovered from an ankle injury and will also be available for selection, but midfielder Brian "Cobi" Span has been recalled by FC Dallas while midfielder Ian Christianson is questionable with a calf injury.

"It's an opportunity for the players to get one back over a team that's just beaten them," Heath said. "We don't lose very much, so this is a little bit of revenge for us this weekend."

The Lions have dropped two of their last three matches after a remarkable start to the season. As the USL-PRO schedule winds down, players are running out of time to audition for the club's move to MLS in 2015.

"There's a lot at stake for a lot of players, and maybe the pressure of that hanging over players is maybe affecting one or two of them," Heath said. "But that's the reality of what it is. We've had a little blip the last few weeks, but I'm amazed at how far we've gone this year without [the setbacks]."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
After tying Dom Dwyer's USL PRO record, Orlando City's Kevin Molino hopes to mirror MLS success
By J.C. Carnahan (MLSsoccer.com)

After setting a USL PRO record in 2013 for the most goals scored in a single season, Dom Dwyer returned to Sporting Kansas City from his Orlando City SC loan stint a new man.

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino, the first MLS-signee for the club, hopes to have the same sort of crossover success when the expansion Lions move up to Major League Soccer next season. On Saturday, Molino’s goal in the 19th minute in a 3-1 over Harrisburg City gave him a record-tying 15 on the season.

Molino is currently tied with Dwyer and former New York Red Bulls forward Jose Angulo of the Pittsburgh Riverhounds for the most goals scored in a USL PRO season with six league matches left. Dwyer has netted 16 goals so far this year in his first full season as a starter with Sporting KC.

“Kevin’s actually starting now to do what we’ve asked of him,” Orlando City head coach Adrian Heath said after Saturday’s match. “He’s got incredible ability. We’ve always said he should score more goals, and now he’s starting to put that into his game, another layer on top of what he’s already got.”

Molino has done his best to deflect any attention from his stellar season by focusing on the aspirations of the team, even as fans and Dwyer, who reached out to Molino by text message last week to wish him luck in his pursuit of the mark, have been rooting for his individual success along the way.

“It [doesn't] matter if I score anymore,” said the Trinidad and Tobago international. “We’re just trying to go on and win the league and [get] home advantage for the playoffs, but I’m delightful for being [tied] for the record right now.”

Molino has scored in 11 of 21 matches this season, including a hat trick against Charlotte on May 21 and braces against both Charlotte (Aug. 2) and the FC Dallas Reserves (April 22). He also leads the team with seven assists and is tops among all players in USL PRO with 37 points.

“What you put into it is what you’re going to get out of it,” Molino said. “In the offseason I put in a lot of work to get the success so far, but it isn’t finished yet.”

Orlando City sit atop the USL PRO table with a 16-2-4 mark (52 points) and have secured a home playoff game in the first round of the USL PRO postseason on Sept. 13.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »
Tops

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino breaks single-season USL PRO scoring record
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:45:14 PM »
Orlando City’s Kevin Molino breaks single-season USL PRO scoring record
By Mike Gramajo (soccerbyives.net)

Kevin Molino made Orlando City Soccer Club history when he signed on to be the club’s first Major League Soccer signing. Now he can now add the single-season USL Pro scoring record to his list of accomplishments.

Molino, who now surpasses Dom Dwyer and Jose Angulo, scored his record 16th goal of the season in the 51st minute vs. the Richmond Kickers on Saturday night for Orlando City, which ended 3-2 in favor of the Lions. The midfielder took a shot off a deflection, curling into the top right corner of the net.

Orlando City were going into City Stadium with a four-game winless road skid, which diluted Orlando City’s 11 point lead in the standings to three points heading into the game at Richmond.

Besides leading the league in goalscoring, the Trinidad and Tobago international now has five goals in his last five matches, a scoring run for Orlando City that was last seen in 2013 when Dom Dwyer recorded 10 goals in five games last year in USL Pro.

Molino wasn’t the only future MLS player to get on the scoresheet, as defender Rafael Ramos and midfielder Estrela, who recently joined Orlando from Benfica, each scored on their debuts for the club. Meanwhile, OCSC has now collected 10 goals in their last 5 games from five of their players expected to be in MLS with Orlando next year: Kevin Molino (5 goals) Darwin Ceren (2 goals), Tyler Turner, Rafael Ramos and Estrela with one goal each.

OCSC now sit six points clear from second place Richmond with one-game on hand. Orlando City clinched a first-round playoff home game earlier in the month when they defeated the Harrisburg City Islanders 3-1 at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Molino breaks single-season USL PRO scoring record
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
I look forward to seeing him play in the MLS in a more competitive league. Wish you more success Kevin  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
WATCH Kevin Molino break the single-season USL PRO goalscoring record as he notches his 16th goal of the 2014/15 campaign.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LdiwKROoofk?start=141" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LdiwKROoofk?start=141</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
Man I'm beaming from ear-to-ear to see Molino play at this quality - I really hope he keeps it up 'cause a player of this quality is sorely needed in the T&T setup :)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Orlando City's Kevin Molino finds his voice on the pitch
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
Orlando City's Kevin Molino finds his voice on the pitch

A lot can change during four years of a young man's life.

Orlando City Soccer Club midfielder Kevin Molino has been living the American soccer dream ever since arriving in town to play for the Lions in 2011.

On Saturday, the 24-year old notched his 16th goal of the year during a critical 3-2 road win at Richmond to break the USL-PRO single season scoring record. He entered Thursday's match at Wilmington leading the league in points (39) and ranked in a tie for second in assists (7).

The goal Saturday surpassed the previous mark set by Orlando City's Dom Dwyer and Pittsburgh's Jose Angulo in 2013. It also validated the club's faith in its first Major League Soccer signee and adds to the local soccer standout's increasing confidence.

"When he came here in 2011, he was a shy kid who really didn't talk much. He didn't have the flashy hair and the crazy clothes that he wears, but now you see him break the record with a bright-yellow mohawk," Orlando City defender Rob Valentino said with a smile. "I love it. He brings a lot of life to the locker room and he keeps things fun."

Valentino is one of six original Orlando City players who have remained on roster throughout the USL PRO journey, joining Molino, goalkeeper Miguel Gallardo, defender Luke Boden, forward Dennis Chin and former player and current assistant coach Ian Fuller.

They've witnessed the Molino's improvement on and off the pitch after he left Trinidad and Tobago to join the Lions. Although he kept to himself during much of his rookie season, Molino blossomed into the league's most valuable player in 2012 and now thrives at a young age as a national team captain and leader with the Lions.

"I think back then, it took him a little while to settle down," Gallardo said. "In this game, if you're not happy off the field, you're not going to be able to perform well. Now he's coming in having a good time all the time and always laughing. He's got a great personality. He enjoys doing this and he's been taking that onto the field."

With great success, and an equally flamboyant persona, comes even greater expectations. Molino realized as much early in the season as his personal play matched the club's impressive start.

But he's careful to deflect much of the attention away from the record and focus instead on his team defending its league title and gunning for its third championship in four years.

"When I scored that goal, it was like getting the pressure off my back, and then it was time to continue doing what I do now that the record was broken," Molino said of his key strike against Richmond. "I'm more concerned about the team winning, but I'm happy to break the record. It's over now and I just want to keep doing good for the team. Now I'm looking forward to the playoffs and hopefully I can keep scoring for them."

Orlando City coach Adrian Heath may be the least surprised about all about Molino's success.

"The one thing that's been frustrating for me has never been his level of ability or his commitment, it's been the fact that he didn't score enough goals," Heath said. "Now he's starting to put the goals on top of all the lovely play that he has. He's got an unbelievable first touch, he's got great vision, great awareness, great balance and he's got to keep working hard now because this is only the start for him.

"Next year coming up is going to be big for him."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
VOTE for Kevin Molino’s goal as USL PRO’s Goal of the Month for August
http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/834510.html

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Molino setting his standards high with record-breaking season
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »
Kevin Molino setting his standards high with record-breaking season
By Gavin Ewbank (otowns11.com)

Kevin Molino became Orlando City’s first Major League Soccer signing when the club signed him to a contract for the 2015 season earlier this year.

So it only makes things look even better when you throw in the fact that 2014 was not only the best season of Molino’s career, but one of the best seasons in USL PRO history.

Molino scored his league-leading 20th goal of the season on Saturday night against the Richmond Kickers, knocking home a early header on a great service into the box by defender Luke Boden, putting Orlando up 1-0, which would end up being the final score in their last regular season game in USL PRO, closing off an historic run of greatness.

It’s seems easy to say that Molino is on his way to winning his second career USL PRO MVP award after a strong campaign this season.

The Trinidadian midfielder finished the season six goals clear of the next highest scorer — Richmond’s Matthew Delicate, who finished with 14 — and not only broke the league record for goals in a single-season — the record was 15, which was set by former Orlando City loanee Dom Dwyer last season — but destroyed it with 20, which is even more amazing since he came into the season with just six goals in his last three seasons combined.

Along with the goals came the praise from those around him.

“I think once again he’s demonstrated that he’s more than capable of moving to the next level,” Orlando City head coach Adrian Heath said after Saturday’s game. “I honestly think he’s one of the most talented footballers in America, period. Whichever division you’re talking about, and I think he’ll demonstrate that next year.”

“I think he’s going to be a star as soon as he comes to MLS,” Dwyer said back at the MLS All-Star Game this summer. “Not just because he’s a good friend of mine, but he has unbelievable talent. I wish I had feet like him. When he wants it and when he’s motivated, he’s unstoppable. I can’t wait for people to see that. … He’s going to get his chance next year and I believe he’s going to take it with two hands and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in this game next year.”

But what was it — what was the thing that had Molino go from being just an MLS-caliber player into a force to be noticed heading into the first division next season?

“We moved him more central which has helped him,” Heath told the Orlando Sentinel. “He is spending more time in and around the box. But it’s like anything, he started the season very well and his confidence has grown and now all of a sudden he’s trying things he probably wouldn’t have done in the past. More importantly, he’s finishing a high percentage of chances he’s had. We could probably put a video of 60 chances he’s had in the past three years that he hasn’t taken and [now] he’s like chipping the keeper and backheeling it. He’s got the bug now.”

When Orlando City enters MLS next season, they’ll not only be jumping into the league with Kaka, one of the best players in the world and someone that will immediately become one of the league’s top players, but another Top 10 caliber scoring-threat with Molino.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Kevin Molino, Orlando City SC – Scoring Champion, Golden Boot, Assist Champion
Molino had a record-setting season in the Lions’ final campaign before joining Major League Soccer. The Trinidad & Tobago international, who was Orlando’s first MLS signing, set a new league record for goals with 20 and points with 49. Molino’s nine assists also led the league, putting him ahead of Sacramento’s Rodrigo Lopez and Charlotte’s Drew Yates. The 2012 USL PRO Most Valuable Player led the Lions to their third regular season title, and will likely be a key figure in the next month as Orlando attempts to add a third USL PRO Championship to its trophy case.

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=2034

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
:salute:

Congratulations, Kevin!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
Well done Molino. The real deal. Stay healthy and available for T&T's qualifiers and internationals.
Hope to see you lightin' up the MLS and for Kaka to learn who's his Daddy.  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
MORE AWARDS for Kevin Molino

1. Orlando City Top Goal Scorer
2. Orlando City Fans' Player of the Year
3. Orlando City Players' Player of the Year

http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=2036

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »

Molino takes trio of USL Pro awards

Soca Warriors midfielder and Orlando City SC’s Kevin Molino was named the league’s Scoring Champion, Golden Boot and Assist Champion when the USL PRO announced the league’s 2014 statistical award winners on Tuesday, in Tampa Bay, Florida.

The 24-year-old Molino had a record-setting season in the Lions’ final campaign before joining Major League Soccer. The Carenage-born T&T international, who was Orlando’s first MLS signing, set a new league record for goals with 20 and points with 49

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2014-09-11/molino-takes-trio-usl-pro-awards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
LEARN why Kevin Molino spurned Seattle Sounders to stay with Orlando City. Listen from about 29:58 in the podcast.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:08:17 PM by Tallman »

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
OH No, I wish he had joined. I love The Sounders. I even picked them as the team I support on FIFA 14. lol. If a Trini went back there (wasn't following MLS when Cato was there) I might explode from an overdose of affection. It's like supporting West Indies, you think they can do it, but they never do. 
I'll have to get behind Orlando City next year. Not sure I will though. I watch San Jose because MLS games are easy as pie to get online but I don't fret if I miss Cato play.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
USL PRO speaks to Kevin Molino about his change in role this season for the Orlando City Lions, preparing for the jump to Major League Soccer, and what it would mean to close out the club's current era with a Championship.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G2uw6CFKsiQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G2uw6CFKsiQ</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
Orlando City scoring leader Kevin Molino says Lions will bounce back

Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino and his teammates were stunned after suffering a 1-0 USL-PRO playoff loss to Harrisburg late Saturday, abruptly ending their season.

"We expected to go a long way with home field advantage in front of these fantastic fans," Orlando City midfielder Kevin Molino said. "To not go on to win in the playoffs after all the things we've done, for me individually and for us collectively, is tough."

Molino set new league records in goals scored (20) and total points (49) during the season. He also led the league with nine assists, helping Orlando City stake claim to its third regular season championship.

But the dominating display by the club and record-setting performance by its first MLS signee were nowhere to be found against the Islanders. Orlando City appeared disjointed and disinterested throughout the first half Saturday and were unsuccessful at chasing Harrisburg City throughout the final 45 minutes.

Molino, who took a league-high 81 shots this season, was held without a single attempt against the Islanders. He set up Dennis Chin for a header near the 6-yard box in the 79th minute, but the effort zipped over the crossbar. It proved to be one of several missed opportunities in the final third for a team that led the league with 56 goals.

"Not singling Kevin out, or anybody else, but there's probably three or four of our better players who had the worst night tonight. And they're important pieces for us," Orlando City coach Adrian Heath said after the game. "No disrespect to all the other players, but the final third of the football field is probably the most important. That's why [those players] go for the most money. That's why they get paid the most money. That's why they get transferred for the most money. That's the important part of the field, and tonight, certainly our front three or four [did not have] a good night, and that happens. But we needed them to bring it to the table tonight and unfortunately we didn't."

The disappointment of unfulfilled expectations this season could be seen on Molino's face afterward as he came to grips with the club's lack of effort in the loss.

"I didn't think we deserved it," Molino said. "The team played better than us. They came out and showed that determination and the passion that they wanted to win. I'm a person that's fair with myself and I don't think it was possible for us to win this game because of the way we were playing."

Molino hopes he and his future MLS teammates will be judged more for how they rebound from the setback than the way 2014 ultimately ended.

"It's not how you fall, it's how you rise," Molino said. "It's important that you learn from losses like you learn from your wins. This is a learning process for each individual and for us as a team and club. We'll move on from here into next year and hopefully we'll move on and do good things for the club."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Kevin Molino named to the USL PRO All-League First Team
http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=2048

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Kevin Molino is a finalist for the 2014 USL PRO Most Valuable Player Award. The winner will be announced on Friday at 4:30pm.
http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/839073.html

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
As expected, Kevin Molino has won the 2014 USL PRO Most Valuable Player Award.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:19:12 PM by Tallman »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »
Hugh! Congrats Molino. Well Done
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>