April 18, 2024, 02:41:04 AM

Author Topic: U-20 screening, Tobago  (Read 3244 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
U-20 screening, Tobago
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
It was a "No Show" by the staff today with no communication - very dismaying!
Live large and prosper!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-20 screening, Tobago
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »

:o
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
So players show up and no coaches?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
What a f00cking joke.

After such a great interview from Sheldon.

If for some reason the staff couldn't make it because of flights or what ever reason, why didn't they contact their lead person in Tobago or send message through TTFA and SWO websites?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »
Dismaying like the under 15 team last year to Cayman Islands, dismaying like missing Latas payment, dismaying like cancelling Super League games for Tobago teams, Women camp in Houston or dismaying like the staff at the airport when they were going Argentina.

:rotfl:

PS: Maybe the press officer left the job becase he wasn't paid?

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »
Yep
Live large and prosper!

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
Yep

I heard The TTFA had a local team of scouts present. On their advice the players in Tobago will be invited.

How many kids turned up?

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
From my understanding, the session was moved from Dwight Yorke Stadium Training Grounds to Mt. Gomery. I met a few players there around 10 am and they about 25 players turned up. They were also told to keep their ears open for further news as the selectors may come up next weekend.

Side note: getting flights out of Piarco to ANR International airport was a real headache (from what I understand). I know that for certain. I went to see a karate exam and the sensi was at least 90 mins late.

Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
This is a prime example of what my issue is with our football. It is exceedingly difficult to get behind our federation, teams or even our domestic competitions because of the sheer and blatant lack of basic respect and courtesy the powers that be seem to have for our players. Bear in mind that this is not a Jack Warner problem or a Tim Kee problem....it seems to be just the way we do things.

Last week Saturday there was u20 screening at the Larry Gomes Stadium. All advertisements and electronic and print articles indicated very clearly that sessions were to run from 9-12. A couple of ambitious kids from my neighborhood got to the stadium at 8:50 only to be turned back by an 'official' who told them that they were supposed to reach 'before 9'.

Let me sidestep the glaringly obvious for one minute....if these young players responded to the call for screening based on what they read online or in the daily newspapers, weren't they correct in getting to the venue on time? How were they supposed to know that they ought to have gotten there 'before 9'?

The dissemination of information is just plain ridiculous and pathetic. And it seems to be a common thread throughout our football. From venue changes in the pro league to international games. For the Argentina game, I booked my hotel based on what the charter package was advertised to be. Lo and behold, the hotel was changed. I read as well that the game was to be played in Mar del Plata only to learn, after asking all over the place (including the federation ad tour organisers) that it was to be played at River Plate's stadium.

This is how we treat our young footballers and the fans....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »
From my understanding, the session was moved from Dwight Yorke Stadium Training Grounds to Mt. Gomery. I met a few players there around 10 am and they about 25 players turned up. They were also told to keep their ears open for further news as the selectors may come up next weekend.

Side note: getting flights out of Piarco to ANR International airport was a real headache (from what I understand). I know that for certain. I went to see a karate exam and the sensi was at least 90 mins late.

Richard G.

Thanks for the update and clarification coach.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »
... Last week Saturday there was u20 screening at the Larry Gomes Stadium. All advertisements and electronic and print articles indicated very clearly that sessions were to run from 9-12. A couple of ambitious kids from my neighborhood got to the stadium at 8:50 only to be turned back by an 'official' who told them that they were supposed to reach 'before 9'.

Let me sidestep the glaringly obvious for one minute....if these young players responded to the call for screening based on what they read online or in the daily newspapers, weren't they correct in getting to the venue on time? How were they supposed to know that they ought to have gotten there 'before 9'?

How did the players respond to the official?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »

Doc are you involved in soccer in Tobago? Why I ask is because of the 2 responses below. One seems to think there was communication about the change of venue and the other thinks that all is good.

Richard G.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »

Doc are you involved in soccer in Tobago? Why I ask is because of the 2 responses below. One seems to think there was communication about the change of venue and the other thinks that all is good.

Richard G.

Communication is a massive problem.

I was on my way to DY Stadium and was called and asked to check out Mt. Pleasant Recreational Ground. I only knew the details because I decided to try Mt. Gomery Football Field and got lucky to see some of the players there.

I wasn't too pleased myself with the lack of notification by the Football bodies. Going out on a limb (again) I'm very sure quite a few coaches didn't know about the screening.

Take it up with the TTFA and the TFA.

Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
Whose responsibility was it for the screening, anyone know?  Was it the TTFA or the TFA?  Ultimately I know the TTFA would get the blame, but you would think that the TFA would have some say in running the screening on their home turf.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »

Richard G.

I find way to be... lol. I was contacted by the TFA's office about the screening, and which players needed to be in attendance from my club. One of the players had transferred to Phoenix last season  ;D. I took the players who were available to the 8:30 am screening at Montgomery. We arrived at 8:10 am and there were a handful of players including one player from C'ville who caught the 6 am bus from C'ville to be there on time.
At 8:30, I told my players it probably was a 9 am start and the wanted to ensure that they got there in time  ;D ;D The numbers were increasing gradually. Nine o'clock came and went and there was still no signs of a football official. It was approaching 9:30 when I called the TFA President. He was a short distance away, so I awaited his arrival.
As I wound up the conversation, a parent motioned to me to come. I went over and was joined by another club's official. She said the screening was cancelled as the party could not obtain flights to Tobago. She went on to state that a member of the party who was related to her son called him last night to inform him. He in turn informed his friends. She said that she was in the area and decided to stop by the field to see if anything was taking place there. At that moment the TFA's president arrived. He related the same story. He too had found out the night before when he called the TFA's Gen. Sec. in response to an inquiry made by an interested party.
In the end, it was clear that there was no coordination done by the TFA. I left with the impression that the TTFA left it too late to find locals (Tobagonians) to carry out the exercise. The TFA tried to no avail, and the invitees were not informed.
The president addressed the players present. He apologized and promised better coordination and communication in the future. There were about 30 players present at the time.
Live large and prosper!

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
... Last week Saturday there was u20 screening at the Larry Gomes Stadium. All advertisements and electronic and print articles indicated very clearly that sessions were to run from 9-12. A couple of ambitious kids from my neighborhood got to the stadium at 8:50 only to be turned back by an 'official' who told them that they were supposed to reach 'before 9'.

Players listened and obliged. They didn't try out and instead stayed on for about an hour looking at the session

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »

Players listened and obliged. They didn't try out and instead stayed on for about an hour looking at the session

I don't understand. How could they stay for about an hour looking at the session when there was no session? They can't try out if there is no session? Right?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

I don't understand. How could they stay for about an hour looking at the session when there was no session? They can't try out if there is no session? Right?

I was referring to the screening session held at Larry Gomes Stadium last week

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »

Sometimes it's helpful not to take 'no' for an answer. Note ah not placing any burden on the youths with that comment eh ... However, it's useful to inculcate in youths the value of not absorbing nonsense.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »

Sometimes it's helpful not to take 'no' for an answer. Note ah not placing any burden on the youths with that comment eh ... However, it's useful to inculcate in youths the value of not absorbing nonsense.

BOOM! See that's a cultural problem! But who will guide the youth down this path of not accepting nonsense when most adults themselves accept nonsense? First the adults have to become better examples for the youth by changing the way they deal with football authorities.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
However, it's useful to inculcate in youths the value of not absorbing nonsense.

You know when instill a no n sense value in the young ones and later on they stand up for their rights, they are castigated as insubordinate, greedy, and "who the hell they think they are". Just commenting.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
Ah hear yuh Deeks, iz true ... there's risk. But, there's also reward. I know you know.

It eh a path everyone can hoe or sustain, buh we hadda instil that to have even a remote chance of success as a people and nation. No backbone, no society.

'cause everyday we pay the price with a living sacrifice ...
We all defend the right, Jah Jah children must unite

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4QCFrn9kApg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4QCFrn9kApg</a>
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:54:55 PM by FF »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
I just had an unconfirmed report that the Tobago screening will be conducted by Mr. St. Clair tomorrow at the DYS Training Ground from 4:00 pm.
Live large and prosper!

1]; } ?>