March 28, 2024, 05:37:01 PM

Author Topic: From JA Perspective; Jamaica Yes, West Indies Federation No - 1961  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sent to me from a friend and I have to say this was an interesting read. 

This is what stood out the the most for me. Former Jamaican Prime Minister Bustamante reference to Dr Eric Williams.

At one stage Busta earned the wrath of the Eastern Caribbean when he aimed his guns at Eric Williams, asking in the House: "If I or Norman should die, there would be no one to lead the West Indies but that contemptible Eric Williams; and what Jamaican would want Williams to rule over us? That did not go down well, but Busta brooked no friendships with his Caribbean neighbours whom he regarded as "eggheads".

He, at one time, referred to Williams as "that little deaf-ears man" — a feisty reference to the hearing aid permanently attached to the good doctor's ears.

Meanwhile, the PNP was getting more than they bargained for in the campaign as, following the uproar over Busta's statement, the JLP's L G Newland moved a historic motion requesting Her Majesty's Government to "take immediate steps to introduce legislation to grant Jamaica's Independence on May 23, 1962, and to seek admission for Jamaica in the British Commonwealth as a dominion".

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/Jamaica-yes--Federation-no---1961_17280784

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:26:51 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: From JA Perspective; Jamaica Yes, West Indies Federation No - 1961
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
Interesting read. I still think Eric could have held on with 9 territories, but sentiments were high at that time. If the rest wanted the Fed. they would have asked Eric to hang in there. That is my opinion. Funny thing, Australia was not split up, Canada was not split up, India was lucky not to be split up like the Africans. Look at these 3 countries now. They are a economically, politically and administratively better run nations than the Caribbean and Africa.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »

Interesting read. I still think Eric could have held on with 9 territories, but sentiments were high at that time. If the rest wanted the Fed. they would have asked Eric to hang in there. That is my opinion. Funny thing, Australia was not split up, Canada was not split up, India was lucky not to be split up like the Africans. Look at these 3 countries now. They are a economically, politically and administratively better run nations than the Caribbean and Africa.

India didn't get carve up like a Christmas turkey like Africa, but looking at things today, they probably lucked out by dropping Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »

Do you believe at that time T&T would have been able to foot most of the Federation budget by ourselves without economic consequence?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:45:22 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 02:00:52 AM »

India didn't get carve up like a Christmas turkey like Africa, but looking at things today, they probably lucked out by dropping Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Now there's an interesting debate! There are a number of historians (whom I throw my lot in with) who believe that the region would have been much better off had there been no separation and the two groups had to get on with each other, with guaranteed rights.

Australia, Canada, and India all have a number of bonuses that none of the Caribbean countries, united or divided, would have had. Caribbean countries are all small (if 1.6 million is small...) population islands, dramatically increasing the cost of internal transportation and leaving a small internal market (every island needs a port and needs to ship in bulk to save cost, roads are much more cost-effective). Really that's the biggest problem the islands face - the cost of anything not made domestically is very high relative to other essential items.

I'd still have been in favour of a federation (I think a larger body would have been able to stand up better to the powers of the world, and have done wonders for our sports :p), but the smaller islands would have been right to be afraid - often the smaller partners are forgotten about, as power and wealth concentrates in the administrative centres and places with highest potential (i.e. Jamaica and Trinidad). Moreover, decisions might become less accountable in the smaller islands - at the time of the federation Jamaica has a higher population than all the other islands combined, complicating matters a little.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »

Do you believe at that time T&T would have been able to foot most of the Federation budget by ourselves without economic consequence?

It would have been rough. There are several island federations, and they plodded along. Indonesia is one. Cape Verde, Scheycelles, Solomon islands. We just would have had to shape our federation in a different way, taking into account the transport and communication issues.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:45:35 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>