April 26, 2024, 10:50:02 PM

Author Topic: The PROS And CONS Of Free/Open Source Software  (Read 529 times)

socafighter

The PROS And CONS Of Free/Open Source Software
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
The PROS And CONS Of Free/Open Source Software

August 23, 2014 by Mitz

Of course there are both PROS and CONS of free/open source software. Even expensive commercial software has problems so freeware is bound to have its own disadvantages.

All the consumer can do in any case, is weigh up the pros and cons for themselves and then make an informed choice.

Using Free Software – THE CONS

Using free software is free so of course there are cons.

Lack Of Support And Documentation

Unfortunately most free or open source software is provided without support. This means that if you have a problem with the software the developer might or might not feel like helping you with that problem. (I say might because some people do help their users even though there is no financial benefit.)

So if you’re one of those people that need regular technical support then free software is not for you.

There is always the users manual or software documentation to read and help with your problem, but unfortunately with free software, there is no guarantee that either even exist.

Developer Loses Interest

Some awesome geeks come up with fantastic software but they often lose interest or simply have no time to update or develop the software further.
As free software is a labour of love, paid jobs often take precedence over freebies. Also developing software is a big job and perfecting is an even bigger job. New developers get overwhelmed when users test their software and give their honest feedback and suggestions.

Advertising Banners

When the software is freely available, often developers will use advertising banners placed in the software which can possibly make money.

Not All Free Software is Safe

When buying software you expect the software the work well and not interfere with your computer system, however free software has no guarantees.

There are precautions to take before downloading free software which should be strictly followed as computer security issues and errors can cost you money.

User Interface Is Ugly

Most developers that provide open source or free software don’t waste time on the user interface. That means that the software might not look too fancy, in fact it will be plain and simple. This is not a terrible CON for free software, but sometimes a pleasant and well set out user interface can make the software easier to use.

Using Free Software – THE PROS

The Cost of Free Software

What could be better than paying nothing for a piece of software that you actually find useful and works well? You can find awesome software out there but you just have to do your research before jumping in.

Free software I will recommend:

• Open Office
• Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast Free, Avg
• Microsoft Live Email
• Windows Live Photo Gallery
• Mozilla Firefox

Just As Good As Paid Versions

Yes this is true. When using free or open source software you’ll find some software is just as good as the paid versions. For example you can buy Microsoft Office for about $200 or use the free open source program called open office.

Open Source – Open To The World

If free software is open source, then it is open to the world of all developers to scrutinize and add updated code to. This can have a distinct advantage as the software bugs are picked up and ironed out by many talented coders, not just one or two.

Compatibility

Open source software is developed with compatibility in mind and therefore can make a great replacement for otherwise expensive software. For example, when your Microsoft office program trial runs out, why not try Open Office, as it will still open your old MS office files.

Conclusion

Will I use open source or free software after reading these pros and cons? Yes of course!
I have my favourites that I feel great about recommending as some of this free software has been updated thousands of times and downloaded by millions.

socafighter

Re: The PROS And CONS Of Free/Open Source Software
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »

Do you agree with the above after using Free/Open software ?

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: The PROS And CONS Of Free/Open Source Software
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
My entire production arsenal is free or open source

gimp for image production
blender3d for modelling, animation, effects, physics/simulations, compositing
super audio editor and LMMS for music and audio production
Davinci resolve lite for colour grading, orrection and finishing
java monkey engine for game dev - not coding much these days......VFX grab mih fancy lately

I paid for L3DT a terrain design app damn good for the price though $32US
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>