Sports > What about Track & Field

Helpful Tips for T&T Athletes!

<< < (3/3)

Socapro:
Sub 45 no guarantee
May 26th, 2015 2:22am (TrackAlerts.com)

Britain's Roger Black failed to make 1992 Olympic 400m final despite running 44.72 in Semi-final!

You'd think that a 400 metre time faster than 45 seconds would be enough to ensure safe passage into Olympic and World Championship finals. That's generally true but it's no guarantee.  In fact, sub-45 times have missed finals from as far back as 1987 with changes in the 400 metre qualification format making things even tighter in 2001.

In that year, the IAAF eliminated the heat-quarterfinal-semifinal-final format. In its stead was the heat-semifinal-final format seen at Boys and Girls Championships. That change made three-race semifinals the norm. With the top two in each semi-final guaranteed better lanes in the final, that round was made even more urgent.

Since the change, some fine athletes have suffered the ignominy of breaking 45 seconds in Olympic or World Championship 400 semis and having to watch the final from the stands. They are:-

•Gary Kikaya 44.99 and Hamdan Al-Bishi 44.99 in the 2003 Worlds
 •John Steffensen 44.95 in the 2007 Worlds
 •Kevin Borlee 44.88, Nery Brenes 44.94, Kikaya 44.94 in the 2008 Olympics
 • And Ramon Miller 44.93 in the 2009 Worlds

There were several cases of high speed semi-final desolation before the change. Jens Carlowitz of East Germany did 44.97 but missed the 1987 World final. Qatar's Ibrahim Ismail lost his way to the 1993 World final despite a 44.85. Susumo Takano of Japan and East Germany's 1987 World Champion Thomas Schonlebe missed the 1988 Olympic final despite matching times of 44.90 in separate semi-finals. A year after he was a close second in the 1991 Worlds, Roger Black produced a mighty 44.72 in the 1992 Olympic semi. Hurrying away from the Briton were champion-to-be Quincy Watts, 43.71, Kenya's Samson Kitur, 44.18, Ian Morris of Trinidad and Tobago, 44.21, and Black's compatriot David Grindley, 44.47.

Black can't even claim to be the fastest non-qualifier ever. American youngster Jerome Davis and Polish relay hero Tomasz Czubak got damaged in a 1999 World Championship semi won by US superman Michael Johnson in 43.95 seconds. Davis and Czubak zoomed times of 44.51 and 44.62 respectively in vain.

It's a good thing Jamaica is now raising a generation of very fast 400 men. Javon Francis, Akeem Bloomfield, age-15 world record holder Christopher Taylor, Martin Manley and Nathon Allen all have the goods to qualify for future 400 finals with no worry. They'll need to be on their high speed Ps and Qs because merely breaking 45 seconds may not be enough.

Socapro:
IAAF Ambassador Ato Boldon and his 5 points of advice to young athletes
https://www.youtube.com/v/zLhLur5uqJw

Socapro:
1976 Olympic men's 100m champion Hasely Crawford sending out some good advice to our upcoming and and established T&T sprinters. I think he is echoing what Ato has been saying for many years now! :thumbsup:

Crawford: Sprinters need more endurance work
Monday, July 27 2015 (T&T Newsday)

1976 Olympic men's 100m champion Hasely Crawford (left) with triple Olympic medallist
Richard Thompson at the 2014 TTOC Awards at NAPA, Port of Spain, Trinidad on Mon 29 Dec.

NATIONAL TRACK legend Hasely Crawford has cited a lack of intense training over the 200 metre distance as Trinidad and Tobago’s primary downfall in the men and women’s 100m individual events at the just concluded Toronto edition of the Pan American Games.

TT advanced to the finals of both male and female versions of the 100m in commanding style but were unable to execute when it mattered most, and failed to secure any podium places in their respective events. Returning sprinters Kelly-Ann Baptiste (11.05) and Semoy Hackett (11.16) placed fifth and eighth respectively, while reigning national 100m sprint king, Keston Bledman (10.12) was fourth.

TT’s first ever Olympic gold medallist expressed the view that the trio were unable to remain in top form after enduring two rounds of qualifier competition prior to the medal race.

“I think the three of them, including Richard Thompson, have to run some more 200 metres,” said the 1976 Summer Games 100m champion. “All the top athletes now, like Usain Bolt, are using the 200m as a gauge. And this is what I think needs to be done for both TT’s male and female athletes. They need to run more 200m so they can repeat a strong performance in the final after competing throughout the previous rounds.”

Crawford also commented on what he felt were misleading and negative comments about the sprinters on a radio programme last week.

“Baptiste and Hackett have had their challenges over the past two years and only recently returned to the international circuit,” explained Crawford. “What they have experienced is not an easy thing to go through. I personally think that they did exceptionally well, based on the fact that they did not have many 200m runs under their belt.

“They did well leading up to the finals and I think that was a fantastic achievement. After coming off two years of non-competition and making a finals, yes we wanted them to medal, but we have to understand what these women have been through,” he added.

As for Bledman, who clocked a blistering 9.86 seconds on home soil one month ago, Crawford observed that the Simplex athlete may have suffered an injury after his Pan Am semi-final run. According to him, Bledman was seen clutching his groin after the semi-final and was then visibly uncomfortable in the final race.

“I think he may have picked up on an injury just before the final and he did not seem himself. I did not speak to him but I can guarantee that he hurt that muscle hence the reason why he did not medal in the final. I think Bledman needs to work on his start, he’s not starting very well. He needs to do a lot of starts and a lot of ‘over-distance’. The speed is there but the strength isn’t. He cannot endure those three and four rounds of racing at the same time,” said the now 64-year old veteran athlete.

And with the IAAF World Championships just under a month away, Crawford does not believe there is enough time to significantly improve these times. But, he is optimistic that 12 months of intense training and competition can produce several podium places for team TT at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

“They have a year,” he stated. “If they want to get to that Olympic podium they need to do more 200m and over-distance work. Staying in top form after two and three races is when you show true mettle. But, we are not deterred and are intent on coming big at the Olympics next year.”

Crawford also lauded the recent exploits of youngster Machel Cedenio, who picked up silver in the Pam Am 400m and then hauled the 4x400m relay team to gold on Saturday night. He believes Cedenio is certain for an Olympic medal in Brazil.

“If you look at the history of track and field, 99 percent of the athletes that win the Junior Worlds go on to be become World and Olympic champions. I wanted a gold medal from Machel but I think he started too slow. Had he gone out a little faster, he would have won. He’s a great medal prospect once he continues in this stride. We have some bright prospects for the Olympics, once we get back Lendore (Deon) on the team, it’s a certain medal (4x400m),” the former track star concluded.

Socapro:
Bump!  :beermug:

Don't want our visiting T&T sprinters to this forum to miss this thread.

ABTrini:
 Springer; yuh think athletes could boost or lose energy is dey  bull before competition?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version