March 28, 2024, 06:32:56 AM

Author Topic: Leading schools form Premier League.  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leading schools form Premier League.
« on: August 06, 2014, 02:09:16 AM »
By Ian Prescott (Express).

CHAMPIONS St Augustine Senior Comprehensive, St Anthony’s College, Presentation College and Carapichaima East Secondary will all campaign in a new 14-team Premier League, which promises to deliver competitive football and keen spectator interest to the 2014 BGTT First Citizens Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL).

The new season was launched yesterday at the VIP Lounge of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, where the major innovation announced was the formation of the new division, comprising all the top schoolboy football teams in the country, except for those from Tobago.

The competition kicks off on Wednesday, September 3, with a double-header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.  A draw was held yesterday to determine the opening match-ups. “After 50 years, the annual general body of the League took the decision to restructure the boys under-20 group from two tier to a three tier structure,” SSFL president Anthony Creed stated at the launch.

his year’s Under 20 boys competition will take place in the Premier Division, Championship Division and Senior Division. Fourteen (14) school football teams, four from North, East and Central, respectively, and two from Central, form the new Premier League. Tobago Zone have decided not to participate in the 2014 open competition, among their reason being transport issues. 

The Premier League will consist of each team playing one round of 13 matches. The top three Trinidad-based schools in the Premier League will then go into a Big Four, along with the Tobago winner, to decide the National Champion. The last three teams in the Premier Division will be relegate to the Championship Division.

The Premier League comprise of St Anthony’s College, East Mucurapo Secondary, St Mary’s College, Fatima College, Presentation College, Shiva Boys Hindu School, St Benedict’s College, Naparima College, Chaguanas North Secondary, Carapichaima East Secondary, Trinity College East, St Augustine Secondary, Arima North Secondary and San Juan North Secondary.

“As it is now there are easy team in this League,” stated Michael Grayson, coach of 2013 champions  St Augustine Secondary Schools. “Playing in the zone you were sure about getting points against some of the weaker teams. Not in this Premier League. So, it is going to be tough.”

St Anthony’s College coach, Nigel Grosvenor, is responsible for bringing a proposal to the SSFL to form a top division. Grosvenor believes a Premier League is important in lifting the standard of schools football, and also the level of competition. He said that coaches are now required to have an even higher standard of preparation.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leading schools form Premier League.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:13:33 AM »
Tobago pulls out of Schools League 2014.
T&T Guardian Reports

The Tobago Zone of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) has taken the decision to withdraw from the 2014 season of the BG T&T/First Citizens-sponsored tournament.

Anthony Creed, president of the Secondary Schools Football League made the announcement at yesterday’s SSFL 2014 season launch held at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Woodbrook.

The tournament is scheduled to begin on September 3 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

“As indicated in 2013 that after the last season results, 14 schools were selected: four from the north, south and east, respectively, and two top schools from the central zone were to form the premier league.

“Please note that (the) Tobago Zone decided not to participate in 2014. They decided to widen their championship division. They said it was too difficult for them to travel to Trinidad at least seven times within a six-week window,” Creed said.

News of this came as the SSFL revealed that the boys’ under-20 division would adopt a new format after five decades.

Speaking at yesterday’s launch, Creed said, after 50 years the annual general meeting (AGM) of the league took the decision to restructure the qualifying system.

In addition to the senior group and championship level, young footballers would now compete in a premiership division.

The fixture for this season’s girls’ competition will remain unchanged, as well as the championship and senior divisions.

Creed said the rationale for the decision was to ensure a higher standard of play and ultimately, a better quality of football.

“The league will consist of each school playing one round of 13 matches. The top three schools in the premier (division) will go into the national Big-Four with the winner from Tobago and these teams will decide the national league champion.

“Promotion and relegation shall comprise the last three schools in the premier (division) being relegated to play in the championship in their respective zones,” explained Creed.

“The championship division will be played in zones with no more than six schools. The top two schools in the north, south, east and central zones will play in a Big 8 national play-off to determine the champion, as well as promotion.

“The eight schools will play in the two groups with a round robin competition to decide the semi-finalists. The finals will decide the three schools to be promoted to the premier division.”

The girls’ championship division will be played in the north, south, east and Tobago zones and would culminate with a Big-Four play-off to decide the national champion.

Despite the many challenges the SSFL would have faced on its journey, Creed said the organisation was proud of its record as the longest-serving league in T&T.

Creed recalled the outfit’s beginnings and said it was formed with the aim of promoting football among student athletes inclusive of boys and girls between the ages of 11 and 20.

“Presently, there are 112 schools that participate in the league. There are over 13,000 student footballers who are given the opportunity to learn and play football. We are proud to highlight that there are 65 schools that participate in girl’s football.”

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:20:25 AM by Flex »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:17:20 AM »
*Sigh* Not sure what to think - gut feeling is that this is a negative step for our youth players as it's yet another lure away from professional youth coaching.

Also how can schools be under-20? What is this silliness?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:04:26 AM »
A Premier league is overdue but the silliness of this format confuses me.

Fourteen teams is a diluted league. Thirteen games per team seems to suggest that there are no return  fixtures.

Tobago damn right to not want to travel to TT that much.
What's the point of winning the League if you go to the Big Four to have a final winner. Then winning the league is in itself a diluted achievement.

Two teams from each zone including Tobago would've made it 10 teams. Perhaps only one from Tobago, then you are looking at 16-18 games. Considerin the importance and marque value of SSFL football to TT, they could easilly start in the first week of Sept. if time is a problem. Even with a break between first and second rounds, you could easilly finish the season by mid December.

Perhaps instead of a Big Four, the could've created an All Star College's 11 and invited a touring team, eg. Man U U-19 or Santos etc.

But 13 games for a team in a fourteen team tournament?? I hope that was a misprint.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
This is nothing new. I played in the format when it was 8 or 9 teams. But it was home and away. When they wanted to include east, central, Tobago, the SSFL switched to zones. It was exciting and profitable for a while and then the standard and interest drop. So they changed back again.  With only 13 games, it going to be tight. It remain me of the current US university system, except we have demotion/promotion.

Tobago teams will always be at a disadvantage due to the travel infastructure between the twin island. Build a small port in Toco, and have Hoovercraft moving back and forth every 2 hrs. And then bus it to your destination. Easier said than done, though.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:13:45 AM »

Fourteen teams is a diluted league. Thirteen games per team seems to suggest that there are no return  fixtures.

VB, let them give a try. I think it is going to be excited. If it don't work, just change it. This is the high school doing their thing to enhance their "product". Will this affect the National U-20. Yes it will!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
I say give it a chance, only glaring team missing from the top division is QRC from first glance. We need the top teams playing each other more consistently and a promotion/relegation system with the division below.

The big 4 including the Tobago winner should be a separate competition, league separate from cup games but with the necessary subventions over time that the Tobago teams can eventually fold into the full division system.

With regard to the number of fixtures you can have a mix of home, away and neutral venue fixtures to ease travel

Let's see how this goes
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:19:08 AM by g »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 07:18:14 AM »
This should be an under 18 league
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:23:49 AM »
I say give it a chance, only glaring team missing from the top division is QRC from first glance. We need the top teams playing each other more consistently and a promotion/relegation system with the division below.

I say the same thing also. Give it a try. Yes my alma mater, playing d2. But this may be a good thing. The people who running QRC football need to do things differently to attract the top players. If Saints and Fatima can do it, why not QRC.

Playing 26-28 games in a 4 month period is quite a bit. Remember these kids have to study. If they eh studying, they should go to the pro-league or trade school.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »
pr

VB, let them give a try. I think it is going to be excited. If it don't work, just change it. This is the high school doing their thing to enhance their "product". Will this affect the National U-20. Yes it will!
product ?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »
Creed recalled the outfit’s beginnings and said it was formed with the aim of promoting football among student athletes inclusive of boys and girls between the ages of 11 and 20.

This damages development and national teams at every level.

League should be Under 16 with each school having an option to recruit 2 17 year olds who are actually studying.

Why not have League Champions and a separate cup competition to replace the Big Four?

League should run from September to April so that 26 games (13 home, 13 away) can be played (1 per week with a month break in December in which the first two rounds of the cup can be played.

Maybe a separate Tobago league with their champions playing the Trinidad champions for the national title (but Tobago teams play in the cup).

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »

League should be Under 16 with each school having an option to recruit 2 17 year olds who are actually studying.

Why not have League Champions and a separate cup competition to replace the Big Four?

League should run from September to April so that 26 games (13 home, 13 away) can be played (1 per week with a month break in December in which the first two rounds of the cup can be played.

Maybe a separate Tobago league with their champions playing the Trinidad champions for the national title (but Tobago teams play in the cup).

sounds better to me.. the product of secondary schools should not be football..not enough positions available in the market place..also especially agree with your age range..anything over that, should be recreational or semipro.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
QRC is the only team in the history of secondary school football that never played in a lower division so this will be a first.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »

On the league running times - I imagine this is so that students can experience a wide-variety of sports that they might not experience if Football ate into the majority of the school year. Let the school competitions do school football, none of this U20 malarky

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
I believe it is U-20 because you can get up to 19 if you do form 6. Nothing new about that unless I misunderstand something.
Dry season is cricket season, the football season shouldn't overlap that. 

The lack of return games is weird but I get that 26 games would be way too much.
I wonder how they decide the venues.
There are a lot of constraints since we dealing with schoolkids.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
I believe it is U-20 because you can get up to 19 if you do form 6. Nothing new about that unless I misunderstand something.

The lack of return games is weird but I get that 26 games would be way too much.

This is where I believe change needs to come. While I appreciate that cricket is an important sport, we're talking football here! Football should be played year round in all conditions. Football in England doesn't stop for cricket. If you play cricket, then stay with cricket or find a way to play both.

When other nations nurture their 8 -16 year old talented players, we say:

Stop for school football
Stop for cricket
Stop for Carnival
Stop for Christmas
Stop for Easter

No wonder the kids and parents don't take football seriously! We challenge the commitment of our professionals (even national team players who won't fly back from overseas) yet we teach them from a young age that football isn't important.

It may be that the national consensus is that football isn't important and it's only a game. But then don't complain if T&T never reaches another world cup and is regularly beaten by Guyana, St Lucia and Grenada!

If we really want to be the best, we have to change the whole mentality of parents, schools, administrators and supporters.

Get serious or get lost!!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
Schools football stops but club football doesn't.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

This is where I believe change needs to come. While I appreciate that cricket is an important sport, we're talking football here! Football should be played year round in all conditions. Football in England doesn't stop for cricket. If you play cricket, then stay with cricket or find a way to play both.

Stop for school football
Stop for cricket
Stop for Carnival
Stop for Christmas
Stop for Easter

No wonder the kids and parents don't take football seriously! We challenge the commitment of our professionals (even national team players who won't fly back from overseas) yet we teach them from a young age that football isn't important.

It may be that the national consensus is that football isn't important and it's only a game. But then don't complain if T&T never reaches another world cup and is regularly beaten by Guyana, St Lucia and Grenada!

If we really want to be the best, we have to change the whole mentality of parents, schools, administrators and supporters.

At the end of the day this is SCHOOL sport.
Why should football overlap cricket at school.
It means one sport suffering at the expense of the other.

In my last year at Fatima, at least six members of the football team played cricket for First 11 or Colts. Three of them played cricket at national youth level and two at sr. level.
One member of the Cricket 11 (Brian Lara) was a starter on the Colts football team.

England has shit  weather and there is a gap (I"m assuming) between football and cricket seasons in the UK at school level.
TT has much better weather and to tell top cricketers to give up school footall or vice versa should not be necessary in a niine month period.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »

Stop for school football
Stop for cricket
Stop for Carnival
Stop for Christmas
Stop for Easter

In my last year at Fatima, at least six members of the football team played cricket for First 11 or Colts. Three of them played cricket at national youth level and two at sr. level.
One member of the Cricket 11 (Brian Lara) was a starter on the Colts football team.

England has shit  weather and there is a gap (I"m assuming) between football and cricket seasons in the UK at school level.
TT has much better weather and to tell top cricketers to give up school footall or vice versa should not be necessary in a niine month period.

England has many documented cases of players playing football and cricket at professional and county levels such as Ian Botham (and some at national level).

At English schools, yes, for sports sessions we move from football and rugby to cricket and tennis from April to July. But football is still played in the clinics, camps and academies. Remember, we're not talking about the average Joe, we're talking about the elite youngsters.

Don't understand the weather comment. The 2022 world cup will be played in far hotter temps than T&T and there will be international games on very dry, dusty pitches.

I don't believe that FIFA arrange competitions around T&T school cricket, so how do youths stay fit for international football competitions between December and August?. Practice their bowling?

Everyone calling for regular camps for seniors, yet you want a stop start programme for youths, which is the most crucial area of development. I can just imagine 12 year old Lionel Messi telling Barca "Hey, I can't come now because I'm wicket keeper for my school cricket team" While I know Messi is the exception to the rule, many, many top players were in professional programmes at age 12 and still had a life which allowed them to play other sports too!

There are choices to be made, even at age 12. If you have an opportunity to play a high standard of cricket, just play football for fun, and vice versa.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
If we have a young Messi, I'm sure he'll choose the football clinic over cricket. Or maybe just play both.

But  of course if he has a cricket match the same day as a football match, he'll have to make a decision. Or perhaps, field in the morning, leave at 3 and to play football.

Also most teams use the same filed for football and cricket. So if the seasons overlap how will they sort that out?

A clinic and football season overlapping cricket season at school level isn't the same thing. Not every kid is a Latapy. If they're that good, play footall and forget about cricket and vice versa.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
If we have a young Messi, I'm sure he'll choose the football clinic over cricket. Or maybe just play both.

But  of course if he has a cricket match the same day as a football match, he'll have to make a decision. Or perhaps, field in the morning, leave at 3 and to play football.

Also most teams use the same filed for football and cricket. So if the seasons overlap how will they sort that out?

A clinic and football season overlapping cricket season at school level isn't the same thing. Not every kid is a Latapy. If they're that good, play footall and forget about cricket and vice versa.

The fields are another big issue. Not enough are football specific. Many times I've seen kids playing on a field with a 22 yard concrete slab covered by dirt. And fields do need a rest now and again. Also, they're not protected enough (football or cricket).

I have said this before, but I'd like each regional corporation to have it's own "Wembley" which is maintained and protected. It would allow Professional football to be played in the communities as well as Super League, Intercol and big local minor league games. A decent training pitch (preferable artificial turf) would be alongside so that teams can train without effecting cricket or community football.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »

Stop for school football
Stop for cricket
Stop for Carnival
Stop for Christmas
Stop for Easter

Think you might be confusing my point - I am all in favour of school sports being segmented - the point is that the kids who want to play football should be at a club or youth club that provides footy all-year round. Schools should absolutely stop so that students experience all sides of the game - sports kids like at 12 might be very different to those they like at 16. Basically, SSFL shouldn't be the main outlet for youth sports in the country.

England has many documented cases of players playing football and cricket at professional and county levels such as Ian Botham (and some at national level).

At English schools, yes, for sports sessions we move from football and rugby to cricket and tennis from April to July. But football is still played in the clinics, camps and academies. Remember, we're not talking about the average Joe, we're talking about the elite youngsters.

Don't understand the weather comment. The 2022 world cup will be played in far hotter temps than T&T and there will be international games on very dry, dusty pitches.

I don't believe that FIFA arrange competitions around T&T school cricket, so how do youths stay fit for international football competitions between December and August?. Practice their bowling?

Everyone calling for regular camps for seniors, yet you want a stop start programme for youths, which is the most crucial area of development. I can just imagine 12 year old Lionel Messi telling Barca "Hey, I can't come now because I'm wicket keeper for my school cricket team" While I know Messi is the exception to the rule, many, many top players were in professional programmes at age 12 and still had a life which allowed them to play other sports too!

There are choices to be made, even at age 12. If you have an opportunity to play a high standard of cricket, just play football for fun, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:47:11 AM by Tiresais »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
Any word on if the division below the premier division is a national forma or a zonal one? i see creed say that there are now 3 divisions instead of two so i wondering.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
Open to new Secondary Schools’ football plan.
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

There is always merit in making productive changes when necessary and the fact that the secondary schools committee has embarked upon a new format for the league, means that they are in search of a more competitive opportunity for the nation’s schools.

The initial response to the concept of having the top schools compete against each other will obviously help to expose more of the young players to gain experience in playing at the top level, travelling from the varying districts to face their opponents and also to aim for a higher stand of football at that level.

To the naked eye, this is an effort to create a progressive environment by the league authorities who will be pleased to see a more mature group of players at the age of 20 years.

Any sport enthusiast, like myself will cherish that move and hope that it serves its purpose.

As someone who tends to take a deeper look at development, I am now taking an overview of the benefits of the changed format, with respect to the impact it will have on their education, seeing that both areas of sport and education must be viewed as partners in the developmental process.

As a parent and grandparent, the preparatory process of education must be paramount in the midst of these changes.

This is why I ask parents to take good look at the time factor, vis a vis their lessons, offered to these young sportsmen, especially those that are entering the CXC level and higher.

My observation is that because the schools season is so short, the number of the matches which must be fitted in to the new match schedule, could mean an extensive amount of traveling, not only from your next door neighbour schools, but the ones which need at least two hours of transporting these kids before and after matches.

Of course, if the days for playing official matches are only on the weekends, then the number of school hours during the week will not be affected.

However, from a football point of view, asking players to play matches on Saturdays and Sundays, back-to-back, will certainly expose the youngsters to extensive physical and mental pressure.

Some may wish to compare this present format to the days when many of the country’s formidable academic students were also faced with the situation which included the same problem. This era had introduced the night study system where the players often attended classes after practice or matches, before going home.

But the increase in the number of schools across the country has produced a different picture in terms of the number of matches, the distances to travel for matches, and finally, the time of getting students to their homes from the schools they attend.

Recently, the education pattern has been adjusted so that students can spend more time at secondary schools, even to the age of 20 years.

I assume that the competition age group is now Under-20, a decision which I believe will offer some leverage for maturity, especially in the area of sport. This, however, brings a new, but extremely vital issue to the scenario. It is now quite possible for 16 year olds to compete against 20 year old players.

After working in a sport environment for 10 years, the sporting lawmakers have taken the disparity of ages between 16 and 20 in terms of the strength of their bones and the possibility of injuries, very seriously.

Some parents do not quite understand the dangers of that practice, but maybe they should just seek information from the countries who have parents taking school authorities to court for allowing their younger children to compete against players who are more physically advanced.

Can I humbly suggest that the age group for the premier division be placed between 17 and 20 years, and allow for the championship division to be 15 and 17 years.

Apart from those observations, I look forward to the outcome of the new SSFL format and hope that it will bring a better quality of play to the supporting students of school football.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ¡Hala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 04:53:55 AM »
How does promotion and relegation work in this league? How will zonal balance be maintained next season?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
Open to new Secondary Schools’ football plan.
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

There is always merit in making productive changes when necessary and the fact that the secondary schools committee has embarked upon a new format for the league, means that they are in search of a more competitive opportunity for the nation’s schools.

The initial response to the concept of having the top schools compete against each other will obviously help to expose more of the young players to gain experience in playing at the top level, travelling from the varying districts to face their opponents and also to aim for a higher stand of football at that level.

To the naked eye, this is an effort to create a progressive environment by the league authorities who will be pleased to see a more mature group of players at the age of 20 years.

Any sport enthusiast, like myself will cherish that move and hope that it serves its purpose.

As someone who tends to take a deeper look at development, I am now taking an overview of the benefits of the changed format, with respect to the impact it will have on their education, seeing that both areas of sport and education must be viewed as partners in the developmental process.

As a parent and grandparent, the preparatory process of education must be paramount in the midst of these changes.

This is why I ask parents to take good look at the time factor, vis a vis their lessons, offered to these young sportsmen, especially those that are entering the CXC level and higher.

My observation is that because the schools season is so short, the number of the matches which must be fitted in to the new match schedule, could mean an extensive amount of traveling, not only from your next door neighbour schools, but the ones which need at least two hours of transporting these kids before and after matches.

Of course, if the days for playing official matches are only on the weekends, then the number of school hours during the week will not be affected.

However, from a football point of view, asking players to play matches on Saturdays and Sundays, back-to-back, will certainly expose the youngsters to extensive physical and mental pressure.

Some may wish to compare this present format to the days when many of the country’s formidable academic students were also faced with the situation which included the same problem. This era had introduced the night study system where the players often attended classes after practice or matches, before going home.

But the increase in the number of schools across the country has produced a different picture in terms of the number of matches, the distances to travel for matches, and finally, the time of getting students to their homes from the schools they attend.

Recently, the education pattern has been adjusted so that students can spend more time at secondary schools, even to the age of 20 years.

I assume that the competition age group is now Under-20, a decision which I believe will offer some leverage for maturity, especially in the area of sport. This, however, brings a new, but extremely vital issue to the scenario. It is now quite possible for 16 year olds to compete against 20 year old players.

After working in a sport environment for 10 years, the sporting lawmakers have taken the disparity of ages between 16 and 20 in terms of the strength of their bones and the possibility of injuries, very seriously.

Some parents do not quite understand the dangers of that practice, but maybe they should just seek information from the countries who have parents taking school authorities to court for allowing their younger children to compete against players who are more physically advanced.

Can I humbly suggest that the age group for the premier division be placed between 17 and 20 years, and allow for the championship division to be 15 and 17 years.

Apart from those observations, I look forward to the outcome of the new SSFL format and hope that it will bring a better quality of play to the supporting students of school football.

the sporting lawmakers have taken the disparity of ages between 16 and 20 in terms of the strength of their bones and the possibility of injuries, very seriously.

How about just having schoolboys play, instead of young men? 18 year olds playing world cup football!

Some 18 year olds could be over 6ft and 160lbs playing against kids who are 5'5" and 110lbs!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
I think the travel will be a problem

It not easy to get from town to Arima in traffic nowadays

If the games are only on weekends crowds will decrease because after school like was a big part of the crowds

At the end of the day schools cannot be a big part of developing football standards in TNT.

It is more of a showcase and a school sprit thing.

The reason for the unbalance in competition is that schools go out and get players
Maybe put some restrictions around recruiting and that will add some parity.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 06:16:08 AM »
The reason for the unbalance in competition is that schools go out and get players
Maybe put some restrictions around recruiting and that will add some parity.

I don' think restricting players will happen. If games are on weekends, then travelling should not be an issue. Leave early in the morning. If the POS have to play in South(Mannie Ramjohn) or Greenacres, Skinner, the latest they should leave is 12:00 noon. As a matter of fact, all the school should take the traffic siyuation into account. The various zone school can play games during the week. It should not be a problem to get from Saints or Fatima. Right? No excuse.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:20:24 AM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 06:24:46 AM »
Some 18 year olds could be over 6ft and 160lbs playing against kids who are 5'5" and 110lbs!

F.S., you have a point. But I have seen some physically matured 16 yr olds.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Still searching for identity
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
Still searching for identity
By Fazeer Mohammed (T&T Express)

Here’s another addendum for the Constitutional Reform Commission to consider: the full inclusion of Tobago in all matters that are promoted as national in scope, like the Secondary Schools Football League. Whatever the reason for the non-involvement of schools from the sister isle in the main competition format of the SSFL’s new Premier Division, which kicks off in just over three weeks, this is totally and completely unacceptable.

According to the league’s new president, Anthony Creed, speaking at the launch of the 2014 season last Tuesday, this was a decision taken by officials in Tobago. “Please note that the Tobago Zone decided not to participate in 2014,” Creed is reported as saying. “They decided to widen their Championship Division. They said it was too difficult for them to travel to Trinidad at least seven times within a six-week window.”

Assuming that statement to be correct, I don’t know if it’s more distressing that Tobagonians are the instigators of their own footballing demise at secondary schools level, or that there has not been even the faintest murmur of discontent at this utterly outrageous decision.

Let me just clarify the real issue as I see it. This is not about championing the cause of Tobago because of its contribution to the national game through the likes of Dwight Yorke, Cyd Gray and Peter Granville among so many others over the decades.

This has nothing to do with the standard of secondary schools football in that zone and whether the two teams (I suppose) who would have represented Tobago in the Premier Division were only going to be hammered from pillar to post by their Trinidadian opponents.

Nor is this about finances or logistics related to teams travelling between the islands for the six-week duration of this new competition. Almost everyone has an idea of the occasional hassles and headaches of both the airbridge and the ferry service, but none of that is relevant in this matter.

No sir, this situation, fundamentally, is about national identity and the very obvious fact that, almost 53 years after political independence, we still have no real sense of what nationhood means. Maybe we have our politicians to thank for this deeply-ingrained tribalism, for it certainly allows many of them to maintain a constituency of support by promoting division instead of unity.

At the end of the day though, we really have only ourselves to blame for the evident failure to appreciate that, as a singular nation, we should not be having this conversation at all. It cannot be that a stretch of water represents such a mental divide between two elements of what is supposed to be a single country that the physical gap, and the costs associated with bridging it, becomes a readymade excuse for not fulfilling the mandate of nationhood.

Before heading out of your home this morning, you wouldn’t consider leaving a body part behind. So why do we – Trinidadians and Tobagonians – consider it perfectly acceptable to have events, programmes, sporting competitions and other activities that are promoted as national in scope yet deliberately exclude a fundamental element of the nation, for whatever reason?

If we are ever going to be true citizens of a real nation (and that is obviously going to be a very long way off given the usual polarisation of views on this election run-off matter), we first and foremost have to accept that Trinidad and Tobago is just that: Trinidad AND Tobago.

Participation in the Premier Division of the Secondary Schools Football League should not be in any way dependent on costs or other challenges of inter-island travel. Tobago must be accorded full participatory rights in all matters purported to be national in scope as a matter of course, not a matter of favour or privilege.

Like everywhere else in the world, regional resentment based on perceived favouritism of one area of a country over another is a fact of life. I recall covering a Pres-Benedict’s South Intercol final at Skinner Park in 1986 and being roundly berated by a Presentation supporter as a member of the national media who, according to the goodly medical doctor, were biased against teams from the southland.

Some in central will have the same issues, just like villagers in Speyside may feel that their concerns are not prioritised by officials in Scarborough in the same way that they would attend to matters in Lowlands. But the point is, and will remain, that whether people grumble all the time or happily accept their lot, anything that is presented as a national event, like the Premier Division of the SSFL, must of necessity encompass the entire country.

Unless there is some other amendment to the Constitution that is yet to come to light, that entire country still includes Tobago.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>