March 28, 2024, 02:23:13 PM

Author Topic: What is the role of our President anyway?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
What is the role of our President anyway?
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
Reading and watching all the political bungling and incompetence I am wondering how much power or what measures does the president have to revoke parliament dissolve the government and insist on a general election?

Or does he have any powers at all in terms of the constitution?
Is he simply a quasi figure head another political plant of this regime?

He seems bright enough but too soft on stances in my opinion- what purpose is served by having a president?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What is the role of our President anyway?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
the previous one was the official fete ambassador, holding a diplomatic passport to all fetes and limes (especially allinclusive).

I can't comment on the current one. (with respect)...  mrs president just have to keep looking nice nice as she does and I'm happy.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
Funny I don't think I ever learned while going to school in T&T excatly what the President's role is.  Just this morning I was wondering the very same thing.  I would love a real answer to this question.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
No real powers unless something real drastic happens.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
No real powers unless something real drastic happens.

So yuh saying he should plan on being busier.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
My fellow citizens: It would be otiose, on the occasion, to attempt to engage you in a discussion on Constitutional Law. I do want to emphasise, however, that I am not an Executive President. Under the Westminster form of governance, there are parameters within which I must operate. Powers you think I have... I do not. Powers you think I do not have... I do.

For one....I didnt know people could take a vacation more than once a year....but he apparently have the power to do so.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:15:13 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
My fellow citizens: It would be otiose, on the occasion, to attempt to engage you in a discussion on Constitutional Law. I do want to emphasise, however, that I am not an Executive President. Under the Westminster form of governance, there are parameters within which I must operate. Powers you think I have... I do not. Powers you think I do not have... I do.

For one....I didnt know people could take a vacation more than once a year....but he apparently have the power to do so.

Please do me and others a favour and post the link to your source

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

Google is your friend.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »

Google is your friend.
  lol not my friend today lady. I rather ask the poster. But since you want to be part of the conversation you can check with my friend Google

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
lol not my friend today lady. I rather ask the poster. But since you want to be part of the conversation you can check with my friend Google

English being my only language of proficiency, I have no idea what any of that ^^^means.  However, instead of being lazy and wanting to be spoon-fed, if you're truly interested in finding out the source, it's really not that hard to do so.  All this other emotional talk about "want to be part of the conversation" might do something for your bruised feelings, but really amount to nothing.  It's a public post.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »

English being my only language of proficiency, I have no idea what any of that ^^^means.  However, instead of being lazy and wanting to be spoon-fed, if you're truly interested in finding out the source, it's really not that hard to do so.  All this other emotional talk about "want to be part of the conversation" might do something for your bruised feelings, but really amount to nothing.  It's a public post.

You ASSume I am being lazy because again you ASSume I can easily search google to the moment. Instead of staying in your lane you decided jump in with your opinion of what you think I should do lol. If you say English is your first language that's good to know since no one here ever ask, since you believe I should search Google instead of ask the poster for his source that's good to know since I never ask you for your help. Since you believe I am the emotional one lol again lady this must be something personal. You made a public post with no value. End result
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:00:26 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
You ASSume I am being lazy because again you ASSume I can easily search google to the moment. Instead of staying in your lane you decided jump in with your opinion of what you think I should do lol. If you say English is your first language that's good to know since no one here ever ask, since you believe I should search Google instead of ask the poster for his source that's good to know since I never ask you for your help. Since you believe I am the emotional one lol again lady this must be something personal. You made a public post with no value. End result

Emotional claptrap.  You can post all over Socawarriors.net but you don't have access to Google to perform a search for
"My fellow citizens: It would be otiose, on the occasion, to attempt to engage you..."
If that's the story you're going with Princess, then okay.  :thumbsup:

Putting your emotions aside you'd see that this isn't anything "personal".. why?  This isn't me "telling" you what to do, as oppose to 'suggesting' that the answer you seek is at your fingertips.  And finally my "public post" comment goes to the heart of your emotional, hystrionic response.  I don't need permission to "join" some non-existent conversation you think you're having with Bourbon in your head.  Both your comments are in a public thread, so there's no "lane" for me to stay in.  Get out your feelings and take the suggestion in the spirit intended. Feel free to respond further but this has been a silly enough exercise as is. 

Moving on.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 04:04:20 PM »
   :D Ok court jester take win. As expected you were true to form by defending your ASSumptions.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »
You're right. Proof needed. Seems however that he abroad a lot...or it could be my imagination. So maybe he doesnt have the powers I think he has.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:27 AM »
How come he so quiet ? And all this constitutional  madness happen and this man like ah got I with he tail tuck between he  leg -  why wSte tax payers money to pay for ah figure head? We done doing that with ah whole lot of jokers  pretending to be MP they have they own carnival band " Bring on the Clowns"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
Still quiet among all the political madness and allegations  scandal in parliament? Does he not have a voice to call for parliamentary order? Does he not have a voice to dissolve parliament?
What is the use of this role?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:04 AM »
Still quiet among all the political madness and allegations  scandal in parliament? Does he not have a voice to call for parliamentary order? Does he not have a voice to dissolve parliament?
What is the use of this role?

The only way he can dissolve parliament is if Kamla tells him to do that.

1]; } ?>