April 23, 2024, 10:54:32 AM

Author Topic: Opposition slams St Kitts PM over CPL land reward  (Read 707 times)

socafighter

Opposition slams St Kitts PM over CPL land reward
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
Opposition slams St Kitts PM over CPL land reward
Story Created: Aug 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM ECT
Express

\\\\\ BASSETERRE

An opposition politician in St Kitts, Chesley Hamilton, has criticised Prime Minister Denzil Douglas after a piece of land valued at US$400,000 was presented to the player of the series in the recently-concluded Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

Hamilton, former chairman of the People’s Action Party, has blasted the prime minister after the land was presented to Lendl Simmons, the opening batsman for beaten finalist Guyana Amazon Warriors.

The controversial Kittitian politician described the reward to Simmons as a wanton wastage, since according to him, the country was struggling to come to terms with its international debt.

“This man Dougie (Prime Minister Denzil Douglas) is doing as he pleases, we have people here struggling and he is giving away money and land just so,” declared Hamilton. “We understand that bringing CPL here is an advantage, but we have to understand what we have and what we can afford.”

Simmon’s land is located in Beaumont Park, a 350-acre property in the north west of the island. By winning the award, Simmons is eligible to become a citizen since an investment of over $250,000 in the financial sector or in real estate is required.

“This is a most amazing prize for the Man of the Tournament and testament to the support of the people and businesses across St Kitts and Nevis for CPL, for which, on behalf of the entire CPL family, I would like to extend my sincerest thanks,” said CPL CEO, Damien O’Donohoe.

The Man of the Tournament winner is decided by a closed voting system by each of the six-team mentors, Sir Viv Richards, Sir Curtly Ambrose, Sir Andy Roberts, Courtney Walsh, Desmond Haynes and Gordon Greenidge.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Opposition slams St Kitts PM over CPL land reward
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
I wonder if they would have kicked a fuss if the award went to an Englishman or a South African?

Or would they have said it's a "great tourism initiative."
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

1]; } ?>