March 28, 2024, 08:14:10 PM

Author Topic: Beenhakker arrives on Monday, Latapy ready to exploit passion.  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenhakker arrives on Monday, Latapy ready to exploit passion.
By: Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Press Officer.
[/size]

Newly appointed Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker is scheduled to arrive in this country on Monday evening from the Netherlands for a four-day stay during which he will meet with local officials and players and take care of initial arrangements for his tenure with the National Football Team.
Beenhakker, the former Netherlands, Real Madrid and Ajax  coach will meet with Special Adviser to the TTFF, Jack Warner and other members of the TTFF Executive and Technical Advisory Committee as well as visit some of the facilities in the country before returning to the Netherlands on Thursday.
Meantime, the TTFF wishes to advise that there is no truth to an article in the UK Daily Mirror on Saturday which stated that Ron Atkinson was the man initially appointed as head coach before a being stripped of the job.
“Ron Atkinson was offered a new job as coach of the Trinidad and Tobago football team yesterday - then stripped of the position after a furious players' revolt.
Delighted team chiefs - who had ruled out ex-Manchester City boss Kevin Keegan as too expensive - called the squad together yesterday to announce their new appointment. After a stunned silence, one senior player screamed: "You have got to be f***ing mad! You are joking me! I am not playing for Ron Atkinson. I don't care what anybody says, he's a racist."
Other members of the squad - which includes ex-Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, Portsmouth keeper Shaka Hislop and Southampton's Kenwyne Jones - stormed out of the meeting. They warned they would quit the side if he was made boss. The meeting was called at 2pm. The vicious backlash left the embarrassed Trinidad FA with no option but to withdraw the offer to Atkinson - which had already been signed and sealed, subject to conditions,”  The Mirror report stated.
The TTFF did have Atkinson on a shortlist of coaches and this was mentioned to the players during a meeting at the Crowne Plaza on Thursday morning but no word of his official appointment was given.  Following further talks, Atkinson and other names were then taken off the list as it was agreed that Beenhakker was the best man for the position. This decision was then well received by the players.
Beenhakker has worked as coach for Feyenoord, Ajax, Real Zaragoza, Volendam, Real Madrid, Grasshoppers, America (Mexico), Istanbulspor, Guadalajara and Vitesse Arnhem. In 1985, 1986 and 1990 he was Dutch national coach and guided the Saudi Arabian national team between 1993 and 1994.
The Dutchman has won six national titles in his coaching career, two with Ajax, three with Real Madrid and the last, with Feyenoord, in 1999.
With Beenhakker scheduled to come in on Monday, newly appointed Assistant Coach Russell Latapy has indicated that he should be in the country within the next two weeks.
“Latas” beat five players before slotting home in Fakirk’s 3-0 win over St Johnstone on Saturday and is likely to see his team clinch promotion into the Scottish Premier League by next weekend.
“I am grateful for having this opportunity now to come back and exploit this passion that I have for the game by working with the Trinidad and Tobago team in a positive way,” Latapy told TTFF Media.
“I think it’s the best time and way for me to impart my knowledge and I have no doubt that we can pull this off once everything is well orchestrated and the team can rise to the call. I am really looking forward to this challenge,” Latapy said.
In another interview published on the Falkirk website, Latapy said the invitation to become assistant coach came out of nowhere and he will leave options open at Falkirk.
”This offer came out of the blue. I receive e-mails every day from back home, asking me to come back and help my country out. I love it here at Falkirk, and would not have given any other job any consideration at all. I will stay here until we have completed our season, and hopefully see the Club back in the SPL. Depending on the results in the three vital qualifiers in June and July, I will make a decision then. If it is a return to Falkirk, I will be delighted because I love the Club and have made many new friends here.”
He added to TTFF Media: “I have confidence that we can work to a plan and come up with the sort of results that we are looking for to take us through the rest of the campaign”
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 04:03:13 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Beenhakker arrives on Monday, Latapy ready to exploit passion.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 04:11:29 PM »
Palos, which one yuh think is true. The Daily Mirror report or Shaun Fuentes?

Also it looks like Jahyouth could stop sending Latas emails now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 04:14:29 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 04:19:49 PM »

Breds....is TTFF we talkin bout.  I eh know if de Mirror report COMPLETELY accurate, but if it not..I eh think it far off.

What is not in dispute is dat TTFF did have Atkinson as a option.  Dey present dey options to de team and dey obviously went fuh Beenhakker.  How it all went down is a matter of conjecture.

I must say it was very good to get the players involved in the process and for that the Advisor Committee deserve kudos.

I jes happy they got it RIGHT in de end.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »
I eh know if de Mirror report COMPLETELY accurate, but if it not..I eh think it far off.

Look de link tuh de Daily Mirror article: Big Wrong
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »
Wha yuh expect is Darren Lewis who write that article..........  ::)
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good point!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 06:11:58 PM »

Damn, for true, all them emails like it had a real contributing impact in the end yes.
The SW message board and the forumites are one of the best things in TT football yes.

One day I dream of Camps leaving and a man who really have some talent take over the reigns. A man who will work will all who want to work to see the common good (maybe even a forumite??)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
Flex.

Sam could do de wuk too but he go be absent too much peltin jock.

;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 08:17:37 PM »
Depending on the results in the three vital qualifiers in June and July, I will make a decision then. If it is a return to Falkirk, I will be delighted because I love the Club and have made many new friends here.”

Somebody need to tell latas we only have TWO Qualifiers in June and NONE in July! We play in the Gold Cup in July. After that we face USA in Connecticut, so realistically he CANNOT give Falkirk a decision until SEPTEMBER because we will still be in with a MATHEMATICAL chance up to then.

In related news, I was informed by LP that Ron Atkinson was NEVER appointed and stripped of the job. There was a short-list drawn up by the Technical Committee, of which Atkinson was one,and the pros and cons of each candidate were discussed by the Committee AND players' input was sought. The Tech Committe THEN selected the candidate who they felt were the BEST and went with Beenhakker.

I hope the first thing the TTFF do is give the new coach tapes of our last 3 games and those of our opposition, ESPECIALLY the Panama/Mexico game, so he could get to work ASAP! Big names will not give us victory against Panama, proper planning, hard work and execution will. After all, Panama are the ONLY side to take points off Mexico, something the US and CR failed to do!!! We CAN beat them, BUT our preparation will be key!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 08:42:26 PM »
Better yet; let the  new coach read all the 'posts'' in here. It go be thunder. Men in here like TTFA 'WATCHDOGS'

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 12:30:01 AM »

In all likelihood Latapy could do a good job.  Nonetheless, one must feel sorry for him in a certain way. That is  because he knows  that a few years from now, and  --- unless there is a change in mentality ---  people will be talking about him in the same way they spoke about Carl Brown in Jamaica and Bertille St. Clair or T&T.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 10:09:07 AM »
storebay limer..chill breds....yuh more bitter dan aloes

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 08:11:05 PM »
In related news, I was informed by LP that Ron Atkinson was NEVER appointed and stripped of the job. There was a short-list drawn up by the Technical Committee, of which Atkinson was one,and the pros and cons of each candidate were discussed by the Committee AND players' input was sought. The Tech Committe THEN selected the candidate who they felt were the BEST and went with Beenhakker.

So was LP less than forthcoming, oooooorrrrrrrr was he just "unaware" that RA was offered the position. According to Shaun's other article, RA seems to contradict LP's statement. Hmmmmmmm :-\ :-\
Atkinson disappointed with not getting T&T job
By: Shaun Fuentes
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 08:21:09 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 09:23:36 PM »
storebay limer..chill breds....yuh more bitter dan aloes

There is nothing in the post that indicates bitterness.  The post is about a prevalent mentality, and the possible impact on a gifted and capable person (Latapy) whom we all like.   You did not address the  subject.  BY the way I like some of your lines
`` ... nah like dey was waiting fuh ah couva doubles .''

In all likelihood Latapy could do a good job.  Nonetheless, one must feel sorry for him in a certain way. That is  because he knows  that a few years from now, and  --- unless there is a change in mentality ---  people will be talking about him in the same way they spoke about Carl Brown in Jamaica and Bertille St. Clair or T&T.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 09:33:28 PM by StoreBayLimer »

1]; } ?>