March 28, 2024, 12:04:44 PM

Author Topic: 2014 SSFL Premier & Championship Division Fixtures‏.  (Read 46635 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2014 SSFL Premier & Championship Division Fixtures‏.
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2014, 05:08:40 AM »
Princes Town leads in South Zone.
By Akini Maule (Guardian).

Princes Town West Secondary solidified their lead in the south zone championship division of the Secondary Schools Football League with a 2-0 victory over Fyzabad Secondary on Friday.

Captain Anderson Toussaint scored for Princes Town early in the 14th minute while leading team goal scorer, Quacy Cooper netted in the 44th minute bringing his tally to four goals thus far.

This result separated Princes Town West from the rest of the pack. They lead the division with 13 points which include four wins, one loss and a draw. In pursuit are three schools on 10 points each. The contenders are Pleasantville Secondary, Point Fortin East Secondary and Fyzabad Secondary in that order, with goal difference being the deciding factor.

Pleasantville crushed Mayaro Secondary 7-0 on Friday, while Vessigny Secondary visited Point Fortin East and gave their host a 2-0 beating.

Pleasantville moved to second seed with three wins, one loss and a draw, but enjoy a superior goal difference over both Point Fortin and Fyzabad. Fyzabad fell from second to fourth place while Point Fortin East remain third with three wins, one loss and a draw.

Vessigny visits Princes Town tomorrow for another thriller with first seeding implications. The School Buzz will continue to capture the tight race in the south zone.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2014, 08:59:59 AM »
So how does this promotion / demotion thing now work, with the restructured premier league?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
So how does this promotion / demotion thing now work, with the restructured premier league?

The bottom three schools in the Premier Division get relegated to the Championship Division.

The top two schools in the four zones in the Championship Division play a round-robin tournament (Big 8 National Playoffs). This will be two groups containing four schools. After the group stage, the top two schools in each group meet in the knockout sage (semi-finals and finals). The schools that finish in the top three spots get promoted to the Premier Division.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2014, 01:49:02 AM »
Naps stay top in SSFL Premier Division.
T&T Express Reports.

Naparima College stayed atop the BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier League standings yesterday after coming from behind to defeat Trinity College East 3-1 at Lewis Street, San Fernando.

After a goalless first half, Trinity East drew first blood in the 63rd minute, but the home side reversed the equation to lead in just ten minutes, Martieon Watson supplying the goals, including a penalty, in the 69th and 73rd minutes.

Jabari Mitchell capped off a decent evening for the league leaders with an 85th minute effort.

That leaves Naparima one point ahead atop the standings with two matches left. Previous leaders St Anthony’s College, though, kept up the pressure with a 1-0 victory away to Presentation College San Fernando at Guaracara Park, Andrew Rullow providing the match’s only goal.

But San Juan North Secondary, who were previously level on points with the Westmoorings “Tigers” at the heels of the leaders, slipped back abit but remained third as they were held to a 0-0 stalemate by St Benedict’s College at their Bourg Mulatresse base.

East Mucurapo Secondary seem to be gaining confidence against North teams as they upset hosts St Mary’s College at Serpentine Road yesterday 2-0 to pick up their second victory of the season. They got goals from Glenroy Pierre and Michael Lansiquod on either side of halftime.

This season Mucurapo suffered a very poor run of form by their own standards, but they have in the latter end of their campaign secured four points with a 1-1 draw against neighbours Fatima College and a 1-0 win over Carapichaima East Secondary.

Mucurapo are still in cellar-placed owing to goal difference, but Arima North Secondary’s 3-1 whipping at the hands of home side Shiva Boys Hindu College in Penal means they are now just separated from the bottom by two goals.

Shiva Boys got their goals from Tyrell Emmanuel, Quinn Rodney and Marvin Seuradge.

Other results saw Fatima College trounce Chaguanas North Secondary 3-0 at Fatima’s Mucurapo Road Ground, while St Augustine Secondary edged Carapichaima Secondary 2-1 at St Augustine.

Yesterday’s SSFL Premier League Results:

Naparima 3 (Martieon Watson 69, 73-Pen; Jabari Mitchell 85) vs Trinity East 1 (63)

Mucurapo 2 (Glenroy Pierre 25, Michael Lansiquod 80) vs St. Mary’s College 0

St Augustine 2 (Keishawn Marcellin [2]) vs Carapichaima East 1 (Kerwin Mitchell)

Fatima 3 (Adam Pantin-Taylor 47, Kyell Lancaster 48, Marquise Hoyte 90) vs Chaguanas North 0

Shiva Boys 3 (Tyrell Emmanuel, Quinn Rodney, Marvin Seuradge) vs Arima North 1

San Juan North 0 vs St Benedict’s 0

St Anthony’s 1 (Andrew Rullow 18) vs Presentation Sando 0

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:59:58 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
Just a question for those school football fanatics: How do schools feel about playing schools who are fielding professional players? It seems to me that certain schools are actively recruiting professional players. (I don't know if these guys get any financial benefits?)
But it seems to go against the concept of fair play or, as we used to say, an even playing field.
It also seems to breed an attitude in young professionals that will later evolve into playing minor league football without permission.
Just wondered how the other schools and players feel about it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
For the life of me I don't understand how a player under a professional contract with a club, could be playing un-sanctioned football anywhere.  That is to say, kicking even so much as a lime without the permission of his employers.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
For the life of me I don't understand how a player under a professional contract with a club, could be playing un-sanctioned football anywhere.  That is to say, kicking even so much as a lime without the permission of his employers.

Bakes, I'm sure that was a rhetorical question, but anyway...
All clubs have a fine system in place. Central's is fairly lenient compared to some. A player's contract states that he can be fined or terminated for representing another team without permission. At Central F.C. we allow 3 late or absent incidents with just warnings. After that we move to fines of 15%, 30% then 50% of monthly salary. Player's such as Leston Paul, Marvin Oliver and Sean de Silva have yet to receive even a warning after three and a half months.

If a player chooses to play school football (or minor league), he will be fined 50% of monthly salary. If he fails to attend training, matches and club events, after 5 missed days he will be fined 50% per incident. Therefore, after two weeks in school football, the player will actually owe the club money!

So, clearly, financial penalties do not keep players away from school football.

Next option would be to fire the player. Problem is, the transfer window has closed and we cannot sign replacements. With a squad of 25, we had to use 3 goalkeepers against Rangers. We lost two players to school football, one with a broken leg, one with a damaged ankle, 3 with a virus. So, if we fired the school players, we may have an issue when cup and league matches start to pile up.
Also, of course, there is the potential transfer value. If we fire Garcia now, we lose any potential transfer fee. Alternatively, if we fire these talented players, come January they could sign for rival clubs and play against us. This is why I am concerned about Pro League coaches in SSFL. How can a Central F.C. player be coached by a North East Stars coach? By encouraging him to play school football, we could fire him. Guess which club he would end up with in January? Also, Central F.C. is being weakened so that North East Stars would have an advantage when we play them. Finally, it is forbidden for Pro League coaches to approach other clubs players to join their club. So how can a Pro League coach approach other clubs players to play for them in school?

There are too many loopholes and SSFL don't want to address them. In my view, TTFA needs to mediate and redefine the rules to protect everyone - schools, players and professional football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

Bakes, I'm sure that was a rhetorical question, but anyway...

Actually it wasn't.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »

This is why I am concerned about Pro League coaches in SSFL. How can a Central F.C. player be coached by a North East Stars coach? By encouraging him to play school football, we could fire him. Guess which club he would end up with in January? Also, Central F.C. is being weakened so that North East Stars would have an advantage when we play them. Finally, it is forbidden for Pro League coaches to approach other clubs players to join their club. So how can a Pro League coach approach other clubs players to play for them in school?

There are too many loopholes and SSFL don't want to address them. In my view, TTFA needs to mediate and redefine the rules to protect everyone - schools, players and professional football.

Talk yuh talk!!! :applause:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2014, 10:05:48 AM »
Next option would be to fire the player. Problem is, the transfer window has closed and we cannot sign replacements. With a squad of 25, we had to use 3 goalkeepers against Rangers. We lost two players to school football, one with a broken leg, one with a damaged ankle, 3 with a virus. So, if we fired the school players, we may have an issue when cup and league matches start to pile up.
Also, of course, there is the potential transfer value. If we fire Garcia now, we lose any potential transfer fee. Alternatively, if we fire these talented players, come January they could sign for rival clubs and play against us.

Once yuh start to peel away layers, or get down in the trenches, light is shone on more than the surface. So much is at play even before a ball is played.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
SSFL has never been keen to negotiate with the other footballing bodies in TnT.  There needs to be some definition of boundaries and the SSFL needs to enforce any agreements that have been put forth.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
Schooled: National, club and school coaches weigh up the SSFL agenda.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

When Trinidad and Tobago lifted the 2014 Under-20 Caribbean Cup trophy on October 19, head coach Derek King requested just one thing from his players. It was a message he delivered during the competition as well.

“As I told the players, if they can play at Pro League level it will be much better,” said King. “I am hoping to get Levi (Garcia) to play with (his present club) Central FC.”

Trinidad and Tobago’s toughest opponents at CONCACAF level would consist solely of players attached to professional teams and, without the funding for international tours, King stressed the importance of his players seeking out the most competitive arena possible.

But, within 24 hours of his warning, seven of the eight Warriors eligible to represent their schools were back on the field in the SSFL Premier Division. Team captain Shannon Gomez quit St Augustine Secondary for DIRECTV W Connection but Levi Garcia (Shiva Boys HC), Matthew Woo Ling (St Anthony’s College), Josiah Trimmingham (San Juan North), Jabari Mitchell, Martieon Watson and Nicholas Dillon (all Naparima College) all lined up in the SSFL.

“I spoke to Levi right after the tournament finished but I don’t know if they are being pressured by their coaches or school teams or what,” King told Wired868. “When you watch the likes of Mexico or the USA and so on, their players are not playing for school teams…

“We said we don’t have a concern with them going back to school but the clubs would be lenient in allowing them time off to do that; and all of them agreed. But the next day we saw all of them playing school football.

“It is a major concern.”

But why would the players turn their backs on financial incentives and the advice of their national coach to play in an inferior league?

North East Stars coach Angus Eve, who also coaches Naparima College, put some of the blame on the Pro League for scrapping its under-20 competition, which means that players who did not make their first teams would have no competitive football.

And he suggested that, Garcia apart, most of the others would struggle to win a spot on the bench for their clubs let alone make it into the first team.

“Out of all the Pro League teams, North East Stars was the only one to actually play its national under-20 players last season,” said Eve, in reference to defender Jesus Perez and midfielder Neveal Hackshaw. “So I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Most of them would not have played anyway.”

Central FC managing director Brent Sancho, a former World Cup 2006 player, disagreed. He lost 16-year-old Garcia and 17-year-old Dillon to the SSFL and was adamant that the two had taken backward steps.

“The training that we do at the club level alongside players like (Ataullah) Guerra and (Marvin) Oliver, they can never find that in the Colleges’ league,” said Sancho. “We have seven players who can potentially be on the national team right now. It is training and testing yourself with these guys that will push them to the next level.”

Garcia is due to leave for Europe this week for a trial although, thus far, Central and the player’s new Dutch agent, Humphry Nijman, are on a collision course for the schoolboy’s services.

Sancho was unhappy with Eve too for supposedly failing to support his fellow Pro League counterpart on the club versus school issue.

“I must express my disappointment with Angus Eve as a head coach,” said Sancho. “As a Pro League coach, he should know better and should not be advising contracted players to play in school.”

Eve, whose “Naps” team is on top of the SSFL Premier Division at the moment, countered that he is not involved in his school’s recruitment drive and chided Central for signing minors.

“When I coach North East that is separate from Naparima and I have never tried to entice anyone to go to North East because that is unethical as they are all attached to schools,” said Eve. “Central should say why they signed a boy at 16 who is still in school and wants to finish school. I don’t think your mother would have let you sign a professional contract at 16…

“I do not approve of players who are 18 and over playing in the colleges’ league; that is my personal view on that. But Dillon is 17 years. Only (Martieon) Watson and (Amritt) Gildharry are 18 but they are in form six and academically inclined, whereas you have (St Anthony’s College player Matthew) Woo Ling jumping in and out of school…”

But are the players genuinely returning to school for their education?

Sancho was sceptical and claimed that Dillon was on Central’s training ground for much of the year but is suddenly being considered a student again.

“It is sickening that eight months out of the year these players are nowhere near school and suddenly, when the schoolboy season comes around, they just walk back into school,” said Sancho. “The school clearly has no care for the player except for when school football starts. School football is failing these kids.

“There should be some sort of scholastic average of attendance minimum or something.”

Sancho said Central was prepared to compromise to allow its players to continue school while representing the club. But, as Pro League clubs generally train at morning when it is cooler, missing classes seems inevitable.

San Juan Jabloteh’s 17-year-old pair of striker Brent Sam and defender Josiah Trimmingham are representing San Juan North this season. And Jabloteh coach Keith Jeffrey must reluctantly wait until November to get them back.

Jeffrey explained how Jabloteh tries to minimise the disruptions for its schoolboys.

“Last season, I made to arrangement so that Sam could train with us on some mornings and I would drop him to school straight after,” said the Jabloteh coach. “Instead of 8 to 10 am, we would train from 7 to 9 am once Sam was going to be involved. He would come with his uniform and I would drop him to school straight after as we train 15 minutes away in Barataria.

“Sometimes we have evening sessions too and the club board has discussed having more evening sessions this season once the school league’s finished.”

But does that alternative give Sam enough of an opportunity to succeed at school?

St Augustine coach and teacher Michael Grayson was unimpressed when national under-20 captain Gomez, a lower six student, quit school altogether to join W Connection. In the process, he apparently turned his back on potential scholarships from Temple University and Virginia Tech.

“I told him he should do his SAT exams and go to university,” said Grayson, “because there is always the MLS and the other stepping stone leagues who scout college players… But he listened to other people instead.

“For me, it makes no sense for a player to go and work for $2,000 or $3,000 a month and hope to get a trial when you have the academic ability to get three, four or five passes. You can’t deny the kids their education because, in professional sport, anything can happen and it might not work out for you.”

Grayson, a former national player and coach, helped develop the likes of Dwayne Demmin, Brent Bennett, Sherwin Siefert and the late Mickey Trotman, who all graduated from the SSFL to study in the United States. And he challenged the Pro League to either adjust their sessions to allow teenagers to continue at school or fall in line with FIFA’s guidelines for the coaching of minors, which means tutors or private schooling.

However, he admitted exceptions may be permissible when a gifted player seems unlikely succeed at his CXC exams.

“When you look at a guy’s SEA score and his school records over the years and so on, “ said Grayson, “you can tell if he is going to pass or not at 15 or 16. And then you might say ‘alright go ahead and do it and see if you can make it out there.’

“But, even then, you should have a Plan B, which, here in Trinidad, might mean a job opportunity in the army or with prisons, police and so on…

“Realistically, the pool isn’t deep with players who can make it outside. Yes, there are leagues like Vietnam and Thailand and so on; but, when you do your research, there are so many Africans on the streets in those countries who thought they could make it but didn’t.”

Naparima College assistant coach Travis Mulraine, who made his international senior debut at 18 and played professionally with MLS clubs San Jose Earthquakes and DC United, said he would do it differently if he had a second chance.

“As an ex-player who, at 37, has to go back to school to get a degree,” said Mulraine, “it is only right for me to advise these youngsters about a Plan B in case football doesn’t work like it did in my case.”

However, Mulraine agreed with Sancho that the SSFL should take more responsibility for educating its players.

“It’s time schools make it compulsory that student athletes have either a minimum level of academic competence or a skill/trade in order to play football after form five,” said Mulraine, “so as to ensure that, perchance they don’t make it to the professional level, they can make a living for themselves and their families and not have to depend on LifeSport and the likes.

“Of the hundreds of players that play school football, it’s only about 10 to 25 percent that go on to make a living off football.”

For several reasons, it appears that it will be some time yet before there can be harmony between the SSFL and Pro League entities.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »

Excellent insights.  :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »

Excellent insights.  :beermug:

True, but you have to filter out the untruths:

Angus Eve said “Central should say why they signed a boy at 16 who is still in school and wants to finish school."

If he is talking about Dillon, then both Nicholas & his father insisted that he did not want to go to classes. If he is talking about Levi Garcia, of whom he should have no personal knowledge, both Levi and his parents insisted he wanted to play professional football. But still, we told him to stay in school until the school term ended and paid him a stipend so he could travel to train with Central once or twice per week or train with our youth teams.

Angus Eve said "he is not involved in his school’s recruitment drive"

He is the head coach of Naparima. So, what, someone else picks his team? He actually has spoken to Sancho about Dillon, so he definitely knows he is a professional footballer with Central F.C. Yet Sancho is not allowed to talk directly to North East Stars players, as this would be an illegal approach. Go figure.

“Out of all the Pro League teams, North East Stars was the only one to actually play its national under-20 players last season,” said Eve.

I guess Lasana's lie detector wasn't working! Kevon Goddard was a regular in our starting line up last year. Jevon Sample was in the first team squad for more than 25 games and started in a few cup games. Nicholas Dillon was also in the squad, and I believe, played in the Pro League.

The truth is that Angus knows exactly what he is doing. He's selected professional footballers to play against school kids. No surprise that they are winning. Worse still, he hasn't selected North East Stars youngsters, because that would handicap his Pro Team, yet its acceptable to disadvantage another Pro League team?

I can't see how a Pro League Head coach can be allowed to coach school football. How are young coaches supposed to develop when professionals are taking their opportunities?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
Grayson, a former national player and coach, helped develop the likes of Dwayne Demmin, Brent Bennett, Sherwin Siefert and the late Mickey Trotman, who all graduated from the SSFL to study in the United States. And he challenged the Pro League to either adjust their sessions to allow teenagers to continue at school or fall in line with FIFA’s guidelines for the coaching of minors, which means tutors or private schooling.[/color]

The clubs will have to get their own tutoring services and/or schools. If they don't,  this situation will stay the same. I know FS, Sancho, John Williams, etc  mean well, but some thing need to change for the betterment of football.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:21:09 PM by Deeks »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
Grayson, a former national player and coach, helped develop the likes of Dwayne Demmin, Brent Bennett, Sherwin Siefert and the late Mickey Trotman, who all graduated from the SSFL to study in the United States. And he challenged the Pro League to either adjust their sessions to allow teenagers to continue at school or fall in line with FIFA’s guidelines for the coaching of minors, which means tutors or private schooling.[/color]

The clubs will have to get their own tutoring services and/or schools. If they don't,  this situation will stay the same. I know FS, Sancho, John Williams, etc  mean well, but some thing need to change for the betterment of football.

I think clubs would be happy to accommodate scholars. But, if they are professional footballers, while they can study, they can't play school football. I knew many players in England who were studying for degrees (some in their late 20's). Their clubs accommodated them where possible, but they still had to train. Players should simply not sign for clubs if they are returning to school. And if they leave school in December to play professionally, they should not be able to play school football even if they return to school.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
FS, you guys may have to bite the bullet on this one. If you guys sign the players and you are paying them with the stipulation that they not play school football, then if they breach the stipulations  on the contract, release them. You may have a Messi, but the final decision is on the club to be firm. It is hard to do that when the exceptional talent pool in the island is very small. But business is business.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2014, 09:53:44 PM »
FS, you guys may have to bite the bullet on this one. If you guys sign the players and you are paying them with the stipulation that they not play school football, then if they breach the stipulations  on the contract, release them. You may have a Messi, but the final decision is on the club to be firm. It is hard to do that when the exceptional talent pool in the island is very small. But business is business.

Deeks, that's it in a nutshell.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Naparima on brink of 2014 SSFL title; St Anthony's face fixture congestion
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »
Naps on title brink after Caps win; Tigers postpone fate
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Naparima College was in title winning form this evening as the southern school put in a professional shift with a workmanlike 2-0 win away to Carapichaima East Secondary in the penultimate round of the maiden SSFL Premier Division competition.
Two second half items from Trinidad and Tobago national under-20 players Nicholas Dillon and Jabari Mitchell settled the affair. But this was a team triumph as, from back to front, Naparima was a compact, mobile unit that was not about to take “no” for an answer from its host.
The result pushed “Naps” three points clear of second placed San Juan North Secondary and four points ahead of third placed St Anthony’s College, whose fixture against Chaguanas North was postponed today due to a waterlogged surface.
St Anthony’s and Chaguanas North will now meet on Monday afternoon before both teams scrap for their lives, just 48 hours later. The “Westmoorings Tigers” are straining for the Premier title; third from bottom Chaguanas will be trying to stay in the top flight schoolboy competition.
On Wednesday afternoon, either of Naparima, San Juan North and St Anthony’s can win the title; while, at the wrong end of the standings, one from Presentation College (San Fernando), Fatima College, Carapichaima East and Chaguanas North will follow Arima North Secondary and East Mucurapo Secondary through the trapdoor and into the lower division.
The standard of the football still needs work; but the first year of the Premier Division was not short of intrigue.
This afternoon, Presentation College gave itself a fighting chance at the expense of East Mucurapo as “Pres” romped to a 5-0 win at Fatima ground that relegated the north zone team. Arima also found little comfort at home as the “Dial Dynamos” lost 3-1 to San Juan on the Arima Old Road.
Elsewhere at Guaracara Park, Shiva Boys Hindu College’s Big Four dreams lay in disarray as three goals in the final five minutes saw St Augustine Secondary complete a remarkable recovery to win 3-1.
Save for an astronomical collapse from San Juan North and St Anthony’s, both teams will join Naparima and the Tobago champions in the 2014 SSFL Big Four. Whether either side can catch Naps in the title race is another question.
St Augustine’s triumph might have a ripple effect as it sends Shiva into its final game of the season with little but pride at stake. And the Tigers need Shiva to take a point or three from Naps if they are to snatch the crown themselves.
Judging from this afternoon, Shiva Boys will have their work cut out for them.
Carapichaima did not lie down. They were not allowed to. Ask “Caps” midfielder Darreon Thomas, who got an unorthodox motivational message while being stretchered off the field following a heavy challenge from Naps defender Kris Stroud.
“You better get off that stretcher quick!” shouted one Caps supporter. “We have to win this game you know!”
Read more: http://wired868.com/2014/10/11/naps-on-title-brink-after-caps-win-tigers-postpone-fate/

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Naparima on brink of 2014 SSFL title; St Anthony's face fixture congestion
« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »

Remember I predicted another title for Naps before the season started. South team bringing home the title  :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »
Unless the Pro League clubs move towards a real academy style system, where players meet academic requirements whilst honing their skills, this will always be an issue.   

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2014, 05:19:19 AM »
Naps move one step closer to title.
By Jalani Beckles (Guardian).

Naparima College got one goal each from Nicholas Dillon and Jabari Mitchell to defeat Carapichaima East 2-0 and move closer to the premier division league title of the BGTT/First Citizens Secondary Schools Football League at Carapichaima, yesterday.

Before the days programme, Naparima was one point ahead of second placed St Anthony’s with two rounds to go.

Naparima would have had one hand on the league title yesterday if St Anthony’s lost its match. The St Anthony’s-Chaguanas North match was not contested due to a waterlogged field in Westmoorings.

San Juan North also kept its slim chance alive of winning the title with a 2-1 win over Arima North. With the victory San Juan leapfrogged St Anthony’s moving into second place with 25 points, three points behind “Naps.”

It is likely that if Naparima and San Juan North finishes on the same number of points, Naparima will win the title. “Naps” currently has a goal difference of +22, while San Juan has a goal difference of +15.

At Carapichaima, one goal apiece from national Under-20 players Nicholas Dillon and Jabari Mitchell gave Naparima a comfortable 2-0 win over Carapichaima. At Guaracara Park, St Augustine made a late surge to defeat Shiva Boys 3-1. Kyle Sylvester opened the scoring in the 27th minute to give Shiva a 1-0 which it took to halftime.

Shiva Boys seemed to be heading to the win, but in the 85th minute Moses Jaikaran equalised. It was then the Jelani John show, as he found the back of the net twice in the space of six minutes (88th, 90th+4) to hand the “Green Machine” the win.

Presentation College San Fernando defeated East Mucurapo 5-0 to move closer to safety. The bottom three schools at the end of the season will be demoted to the championship division.

Results

San Juan North 2 (Gerald Britto 4, Brent Sam 32) vs Arima North 1 (Joshua Alexander 37)

St Augustine 3 (Moses Jaikaran 85, Jelani John 88, 94) vs Shiva Boys 1 (Kyle Sylvester 27)

Naparima 2 (Nicholas Dillon 49, Jabari Mitchell 73) vs Carapichaima East 0

Presentation San F’do 5 (Kyle Moody 7, Nate Brooks 13, 87, Kareem Riley 31, 54-Pen) vs East Mucurapo 0

Trinity East 4 (Darnell Sookhoo 9, O’Neil Thomas 29, Sean Bonval 44, Quincy Ballah 71) vs Fatima 3 (Kyle Lancaster 3, 25-Pen, 52)

St Benedict’s 3 (Tyrell Couteau 7, Shaquille Williams 19, Anthony Herbert 43) vs St Mary’s 1 (Ethan Shim 61)

St Anthony’s vs Chaguanas North - Postponed (waterlogged pitch)

STANDINGS

Teams    P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts
Naparima    12    9    1    2    34    12    28
San Juan North    12    8    1    3    28    13    25
St Anthony’s    11    8    0    3    30    15    24
St Benedict’s    12    6    4    2    16    8    22
Trinity East    12    6    4    2    23    17    22
Shiva Boys    12    7    0    5    24    18    21
St Augustine    12    4    6    2    18    17    18
St Mary’s    12    4    4    4    13    13    15
Presentation    12    4    0    8    16    15    12
Fatima    12    3    3    6    15    26    12
Carapichaima East    12    3    3    6    8    20    12
Chaguanas North    11    2    3    6    5    23    9
Arima North    12    2    1    9    13    23    7
East Mucurapo    12    2    8    2    8    25    7

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
Scores from Saturday's matches in Tobago Zone SSFL

Speyside 2 vs Scar Sec. 0 (corrected from 2-2)
Signal Hill 3 vs Goodwood 0
Light and Life 7 vs Roxborough 3

Speyside and Signal Hill are tied on points but Speyside has the better GAA.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:58:37 AM by Richard G. »
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
Scores from Saturday's matches in Tobago Zone SSFL

Speyside 2 vs Scar Sec. 2
Signal Hill 3 vs Goodwood 0
Light and Life 7 vs Roxborough 3

Speyside and Signal Hill are tied on points but Speyside has the better GAA.
Corrected score is Speyside 2 vs Scar Sec 0
Live large and prosper!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:09 AM »
Tigers stay alive
T&T Express.

The race for the BG T&T/FCB Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division league title will be decided on the final day of the competition tomorrow after St Anthony’s College defeated Chaguanas North Secondary 6-1 to move up to second place on the 14-team standings with 27 points, just one point behind current leaders Naparima College.

The Westmoorings Tigers led 3-0 at the half with Andrew Rullow scoring the first of his three goals to get the home team on their way. Rullow scored two more goals in the second half while Kwesi Allen, Matthew Woo Ling and Jules Lee also got onto the scoresheet. Chaguanas North’s lone item came from attacking midfielder Cassim Kellar.

The victory for the Westmoorings Tigers keep their title hopes alive heading into the final round of matches when they face cellar-placed East Mucurapo Secondary. For the Tigers to clinch the league crown, they will have to win their final match and hope Naparima College lose or are held to a draw against mid-table Shiva Boys Hindu College in their final round fixture tomorrow.

Yesterday’s SSFL Premier Division Result

St Anthony’s College 6 (Andrew Rullow 3, Kwesi Allen 1, Matthew Woo Ling 1, Jules Lee 1) def. Chaguanas North 1 (Cassim Kellar)

SSFL Premier Division Standings

Teams         GP   W   L   D   Pts
1. Naparima College      12   9   2   1   28
2. St Anthony’s College   12   9   3   0   27
3. San Juan North       12   8   3   1   25
4. St Benedict’s College   12   6   2   4   22
5. Trinity College East   12   6   2   4   22
6. Shiva Boys       12   7   5   0   21
7. St Augustine       12   4   2   6   18
8. St Mary’s College      12   4   5   3   15
9. Presentation S’fdo   12   4   8   0   12
10. Fatima College      12   3   6   3   12
11. Carapichaima East    12   3   6   3   12
12. Chaguanas North    12   2   7   3   9
13. Arima North       12   2   9   1   7
14. East Mucurapo       12   2   9   1   7

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: Naparima College has won the inaugural Secondary Schools Football League Premier Division title in emphatic style with a 6-0 thrashing of Shiva Boys.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
Wow ..........Impressive indeed  .. congrats  to coach  Angus eve and his naparima squad....!!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:37 PM »
What happened to Shiva? They rest the top players for intercol?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »
Naparima wins inaugural Premier League.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Naparima College left nothing to chance yesterday when the team captured the inaugural BGTT Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division title with an emphatic 6-0 demolition of Shiva Boys Hindu College in the final round of league matches at home.

Led by former national senior footballer, Angus Eve, Naparima College secured the title thanks to the efforts of its own host of national Under-20 players.

Playing simultaneously, former league leader St Anthony’s College was hoping for Shiva Boys to create a massive upset as the Westmoorings team entered its fixture against East Mucurapo trailing by a sole point on the final day of the season. The tamed “Tigers”, however, could only muster a point in a 1-1 draw against the already relegated team.

On the opposite end of the island, “Naps”, started slowly by its standard, entering the half time break with a 1-0 lead thanks to a goal on the half-hour mark from top scorer Jabari Mitchell.

But then the second half began and closed in blistering pace, starting with a goal less than a minute in from Nicholas Dillon. Mitchell and Dillon’s national U-20 teammate, Martieon Watson made it 3-0 and 5-0 after scoring in the 62nd and 77th minutes, respectively, while Jarred Dass scored his first goal of the campaign in between, 20 minutes from time. Dass then scored his second and “Naps” final goal in the 80th minute.

It was the ideal finale of the first Premier Division contest for Naparima, which trailed traditional schools’ football powerhouse St Anthony’s for more than half of the season. Ironically, the tables drastically turned for both teams when Naparima secured a massive 5-1 win over the same “Tigers” in Westmoorings late last month. Incidentally the same three national players were on target in that match.

Meanwhile, San Juan North claimed a narrow 2-1 win over St Augustine with another national U-20 player, Josiah Trimmingham scoring the insurance item ten minutes from time to secure third spot and the last available place for a Premier Division team in the Big-Four national competition. The Big Four will kick off on October 25.

The fourth team scheduled to play in the Big-Four, from Tobago, which opted out of this year’s Premier Division, may be determined on Saturday when Speyside meets Goodwood. Speyside’s closest competitor, Signal Hill, needed a win to have a realistic chance of catching the leader, but instead suffered a 3-0 loss against Roxborough.

Results

Premier Division

Naparima College 6 (Jabari Mitchell 31, Nicholas Dillon 46, Martieon Watson 62, 77, Jarred Dass 71, 80) vs Shiva Boys 0

St Anthony’s 1 (Kwesi Allen 68) vs East Mucurapo 1 (Jair Edwards 79)

Presentation College S/do 1 (Levon Bass 21) v St Benedict’s 1 (Kadeem Gittens 46)

Fatima 5 (Kyell Lancaster [2], Omari George, Marquise Hoyte, Jahreed Murray) vs Carapichaima East 2 (Jeremy Trim, Justin Joseph)

St Mary’s 3  (Aaron Skeene 2, 28, Marcus Mottley 63) vs Arima North 1 (Darren Charles 75-Pen)

San Juan North 2 (Romario Villafana 38 Own-Goal, Josiah Trimmingham 80) vs St Augustine 1 (Moses Jaikaran 85)

Trinity East 2 (Lloyd Pierre, Taje Commissiong) vs Chaguanas North 2

Championship Tobago

Speyside - Bye

Pentecostal L&L 2 vs Bishop’s High 1

Roxborough 3 vs Signal Hill 0

Goodwood 2 vs Scarborough 1

Standings

Teams    Pld    W    D    L    F    A    Pts
Naparima    13    10    1    2    40    12    31
St Anthony’2    13    9    1    3    37    18    28
San Juan North    13    9    1    3    30    14    28
St Benedict’s    13    6    5    2    17    9    23
Trinity East    13    6    5    2    25    19    23
Shiva Boys    13    7    0    6    24    24    21
St Mary’s     13    5    4    4    16    14    18
St Augustine    13    4    6    3    19    19    18
Fatima    13    4    3    6    20    28    15
Presentation    13    4    1    8    16    16    13
Carapichaima East    13    3    3    7    10    25    12
Chaguanas North    13    2    4    7    8    31    10
Arima North    13    2    1    10    14    26    10
East Mucurapo    13    2    9    2    9    26    8

RELATED NEWS

‘Naps’ hit Shiva for six to clinch title
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (Newsday)

“North, south, east, west, Naparima is the best,” were the chants of the faithful hundreds who turned up at Lewis Street Grounds, San Fernando, yesterday, to see their alma mater Naparima College capture the inaugural First Citizens/ BGT&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division title by delivering a 6-0 drubbing on Penal-based team, Shiva Boys.

Led by head coach Angus Eve and towering captain/defender, Amrit Gildharry, “Naps” made good on their home advantage and fired into local sporting history books to become champs of the inaugural Premier Division.

From the get-go, Naparima College dominated with slick passes along the slippery surface. Eight minutes in, Under-20 standout Jabari Mitchell announced his presence with a powerful free-kick which ricocheted off the Shiva Boys crossbar. Mitchell and Jarred Dass continued to weave through the Shiva defence until the former found a way through and netted the opener in the 33rd minute with a right-footed volley in the top corner.

The Penal team struggled in the opening half and were unable to capitalise on their rare chances in front goal due to a balanced back-line led by Gildharry. “Naps” would close the first period 1-0 ahead.

At the resumption, the home team doubled up after just three minutes as Martieon “Moco” Watson offered a defence-splitting pass to forward, Nicholas Dillon, who used his size and quick footwork to find the back of the net (2-0). Ten minutes later, the Shiva custodian Denzel Smith was beaten once more, this time Watson heading comfortably home from a Dillon cross.

Dillon continued to be a pain for Shiva defenders Kadeem Ashford and Jerry Ramdeo, as he dissected the back-line with precision passes.

The sight was a similar one in the 72nd as Dillon again placed one through to the feet of Dass, who bagged his second facing off with an oncoming Smith (4-0).

Five minutes later, Naparima College were celebrating again as Watson also got his second by successfully converting a penalty from an Ashford foul.

And with six minutes to go before the end of normal time, the blue and white Kenson-sponsored team hammered the nails into the Shiva Boys coffin as Nicoholas Thomas played one in for Dass, who slotted away easily to send the San Fernando fans into a frenzy (6-0).

Speaking to coach Eve after the one-sided encounter yesterday, he expressed elation with the inaugural title win and lauded all those involved in carefully building the team into a reckoning force.

“The feeling is great for myself, the team and the school as a whole,” he said, “The Under-20 guys proved to be a great asset for us but the boys played as team and won together. They are ecstatic. We worked really hard though and to win the League only in my second term motivates me toward the future.”

Eve was also pleased that he was able to help the prestigious southern school cap off a highly successful year, having been awarded a total of 30 scholarships earlier this week.

“It augurs well for the school. Being academically sound and also impressive in the sporting world is a great achievement.

Naparima fell a bit off the circuit competitively over the past few years but now they are back at the top where they supposed to be,” he concluded.

St Anthony’s meanwhile finished second after battling to a 1-1 draw against cellar-placed East Mucurapo. Kwesi Allen opened for St Anthony’s but Jair Edwards netted the equaliser.

San Juan North ended in third spot despite registering a 2-1 victory over St Augustine at Bourg Mulatresse. St Anthony’s and San Juan ended on 28 points, but St Anthony’s were second based on a superior goal difference.

In other results yesterday, Fatima showed little sympathy towards their guests Carapichaima East as they cruised to a 5-2 victory while St Mary’s whipped last-placed Arima North 3-1 at the St Mary’s Ground in St Clair.

Chaguanas North battled to a 2-2 draw with Trinity East at Chaguanas while Presentation San Fernando and St Benedict’s played to a 1-1 draw at Guaracara Park in Pointe-a-Pierre.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:38:29 AM by Flex »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2014, 03:33:41 AM »
Naparima wins inaugural Premier League.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Championship Tobago

Speyside - Bye

Pentecostal L&L 2 vs Bishop’s High 1

Roxborough 4 vs Signal Hill 1 (correction)

Goodwood 2 vs Scarborough 1
Live large and prosper!

1]; } ?>