April 25, 2024, 01:17:51 AM

Author Topic: NAPA still world class: Chinese builder defends performing arts academy  (Read 5676 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
NAPA still world class
Chinese builder defends performing arts academy

By port of spain Richard Charan Multimedia Editor
Story Created: Sep 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM ECT (T&T Express)

THE NATIONAL Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port of Spain remains a world-class facility, with minor problems which can be fixed in short time.
But the multimillion-dollar faci­lity needs a long-term maintenance contract to keep it at a high standard.
This is according to officials of SCG International (Caribbean), which constructed the facility commissioned by the People’s National Movement (PNM) administration and opened in 2009.
The company said it would continue to respond to calls from NAPA to repair any problems until contractual arrangements are made for the maintenance of the building, which cost almost $500 million and was des­cribed by then-prime minister Patrick Manning as a masterpiece.
Last month, Occupational Safety and Health Authority (OSHA) inspectors ordered the closure of a part
of the facility, citing badly secured lighting fixtures, shattered glass panes, and issues with air quality.
And Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Dr Lincoln Douglas has claimed the facility had deteriorated and multiple problems identified, which would cost the State millions of dollars to repair.
SCG International (Carib­bean) Ltd’s managing direc­tor,
Michael Zhang, was asked
about the reports during a
news conference on Monday, hosted by parent company Shang­­hai Construction Group, in Shanghai, China.
The news conference was atten­ded by members of a Trinidad and Tobago media delegation on a one-week visit to China.
Shanghai Construction Group’s president, Hang Yingwei, director general of international business, Li Lan, and Zhang fielded questions.
Zhang said it was a misunderstanding sub-standard materials had been used.
He said the company had built the best facility it could for citizens, with a stipulation it be maintained by SCG International (Caribbean) for
one year, at no expense to the State.
He said the company had often been called upon to fix small problems at the facility, and “we are still willing to support the building management to fix the issues”.
He said the question of why prob­­­lems were now developing should be asked of those currently managing the building, and of the 13 projects undertaken by the company in Trinidad, the issue of sub-standard work has never arisen.
Last month, IslandPeople
Mas had to move its band launch from NAPA to Queen’s Hall, due to the clo­sure of the venue because of OSH (occupational safety and health) violations.
Public Services Association (PSA) pre­sident Watson Duke had subsequently produced a copy of the report entitled “NAPA Health and Safety Issues”, which he received on August 4 after the OSH inspection.
An excerpt from the foreword said: “The entire building known as the NAPA situated at the corner of Keate and Frederick Streets, Port of Spain, contains violations of the occupational safety and health (OSHA) fire, health and occupa­tional diseases codes, building violation codes, equipment safety codes, human safety codes. Some existing conditions have the potential to cause critical injury while others are already affecting the daily health and welfare of employees, support staff (security, catering and cleaning) and the many other users of the space (clients and wider public).
This building has been a tragic victim of cultural differences and ignorance and/or disregard of proper international standards of a performance facility.”

—Richard Charan was a
member of the Trinidad and Tobago media contingent who spent a week in China, at the invitation of the Chinese
Embassy in Port of Spain.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

socafighter

Re: NAPA still world class: Chinese builder defends performing arts academy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »

The Chinese copied a similar building in Scotland  and didn't get it right ...see attached picture ..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:23:13 AM by socafighter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
The Chinese copied a similar building in Scotland  and didn't get it right ...see attached picture ..

No.

Napa POS:

Clyde Auditorium:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

socafighter

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »

No.

Napa POS:

Clyde Auditorium:

I spoke to a World renowned Architect and he stated its similar in style with additions..
He is the one who sent me a picture ... A copy with additions...Clyde Auditorium  was built
before NAPA...

Chinese are great at copying and modifying...very few original ideas come out of China...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:39:59 PM by socafighter »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
They all borrowed from the Sydney Opera House.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
I will be blunt. I look forward to seeing NAPA being renamed with Patrick Manning name inserted in the title. Since we have a history of paying tribute to our leaders when they are dead or on their deathbed it may take a couple more years for this to happen.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
I will be blunt. I look forward to seeing NAPA being renamed with Patrick Manning name inserted in the title. Since we have a history of paying tribute to our leaders when they are dead or on their deathbed it may take a couple more years for this to happen.

What about the one down south? Who's name going on that?

socafighter

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »

How about Calder Hart Performance Centre .... :rotfl:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:38 AM »

Well this thread is talking about the one in POS that was spearheaded by Patrick Manning and the PNM administration in 2009. The same one that is world class, the same one that is a landmark to many who now visit POS.

As for the one down south I don't have an opinion
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:25:35 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »

doh take it personal..was a general question based on your comment. BTW, South NAPA was also commissioned by the previous PNM Gov't (unless I'm mistaken).. too bad many don't even know it exists.

As for the one down south I don't have an opinion

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »
Actually, I like the design. But I think it is a bit to small. I think it was built in the wrong place. It should have been built down by the stadium, behind the hotel. It would have looked splendid near the water.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Serious structural flaws keep Napa closed
By Reshma Ragoonath (Guardian)

One year after it was shut down, the $500 million National Academy for Performing Arts (Napa) still remains closed.

And, according to an engineering expert, repairs could cost the Government millions to repair.

Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Dr Lincoln Douglas has expressed disappointment and frustration over the closure of the facility.

Cabinet was expected to make a decision on how to treat with the litany of structural faults and failures at the Port-of-Spain facility.

Last April, Napa was shut down after it was deemed unsafe by the Occu­pational Safety and Health Administration (Osha.)

Sunday Guardian understands that a structural engineering report has been submitted to the Cabinet for review and cites some serious flaws, among them welding bolt failures, requiring urgent attention.

Douglas confirmed that an engineering evaluation has been done on Napa and it has been submitted to the Cabinet.

The minister refused to divulge the findings of the report.

“I wanted the Cabinet to get a complete eye of the report and then I would make a complete statement. I do not want to preempt the decision of the Cabinet...” he said.

He could not say how much the repairs could cost.

Napa cordoned off

Napa, which was constructed by Chinese firm Shanghai Construction, under the People’s National Movement-led regime and formerly opened in 2010, remains a safety issue. At present, the facility is cordoned off by galvanised sheets and caution tape.

Douglas said he was “very disappointed” that the facility cannot be used.

“It is quite sad and frustrating to have a facility like this sitting around that we are unable to use to the max because of those significant flaws that are related to design and all kinds of structural problems,” the minister lamented.

He said a lot of the issues at the facility were related to “improper project oversight in the last administration of government as it relates to the building of these facilities (Napa and the Southern Academy for Performing Arts.)”

Douglas said what makes the situation more difficult was the fact that it was constructed not only as an auditorium, but an academy for the teaching modules related to the arts and the culture industry.

Douglas said the ministry was working with Shanghai to upgrade the building.

However, he said, “There are still more very significant and detailed issues that has to be addressed and I would leave that up to the cabinet decide that.”

Building code coming—Moonilal

The structural faults found in Napa highlights the need for a building code and a presiding authority to ensure its enforcement.

Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, who has responsibility for Udecott, the state agency that presided over the project, said he has not made any suggestions to Cabinet regarding Napa, since that facility falls under Arts and Multiculturalism.

However, Moonilal said T&T would be getting building code to deal with small structures within a couple of days. He said the national building code committee, which is led by chairman Shyankaran Lalla, has been working “very hard over the last couple of years” on the building code.

“We are on the verge now of signing off with the national agencies concerning a uniform code. We expect that will be done within a few days. We have funding for the code committee, and we also have funding for the international agencies assisting with that, so funding is in place,” the minister assured.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 02:06:11 AM »
NAPA to be shut down
By Andre Bagoo (Newsday)

THE NATIONAL Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA), Port-of-Spain, which has been partially closed since last year due to safety and health reasons, will be completely shut down, Minister of Arts Dr Lincoln Douglas said yesterday.

Asked by Newsday for an update into the $500 million facility which was opened in 2010 to host the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Port-of-Spain, Douglas said a detailed report had identified several problems with air quality and structural issues.

“We have done a full engineering evaluation of NAPA,” Douglas said at the Cabinet media briefing held at the Office of the Prime Minister, St Clair.

“That report was sent to the Cabinet and subsequently to the Ministry of Works for evaluation and determination. The Ministry of Works has advised that the whole building be shut down.” Asked when this advice was issued for the building, parts of which are still in use, Douglas said, “It has been issued a while now. We are working with various ministers and the various parts of the organisation.

As you know, NAPA contains both the theatre, the school of UTT (University of Trinidad and Tobago): the art school, and a section that is a hotel that is under the Ministry of Tourism. And so we are working together to provide the process by which that closing strategy should be done.” Asked if students use the building, Douglas said, “There is a school there, the performance theatre and the UTT. That is the main part of the building that is being used and so we have to exit gradually. “The plan is to go into the fixing of all the infrastructure.

I will have a more detailed presentation.

The question sort of came out of nowhere and I am not in any position to bamboozle.

But I will have a formal press conference about the state of NAPA; the results of the report and what is needed in order to rectify that building.”

“The facility is still open because it is being used up to this point in time,” Douglas said. “There are students in school and we are immediately looking to find ways to move them out.” Douglas added, “It is not like immediately urgent but it is as a result of health and safety concerns which means it cannot be occupied over a long period of time both in terms of air quality and physical structure of the building that needs to be repaired.”

Pressed further by reporters, Douglas said he would schedule a press conference for next week after a Cabinet meeting.Americans Jeremy Campbell (57.32) and David Blair (56.83) finished second and third respectively. Stewart’s throw beat the previous Parapan Games record of 55.81 metres, set by China’s Xia Dong in London 2012 by more than four-and-a-half metres.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »
The end of this report have some mistakes.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »
The end of this report have some mistakes.

Jeremy Campbell didn't finish 2nd?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>