March 28, 2024, 11:30:08 AM

Author Topic: CONCACAF 2015 Women World Cup Qualifier/CONCACAF 2014 Women's Championship  (Read 62147 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF 2015 Women World Cup Qualifier/CONCACAF 2014 Women's Championship
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
USA 3 - 0 Mex FT;

I would say Mexico is on the same level as Costa Rica so we will need to play better than we did against Costa Rica on Sunday to have a chance at beating Mexico.

If we play our best game of the tournament on Sunday then we can pull off a shocking victory against Mexico and create history.

Good luck to our Soca Princesses on Sunday, if all comes together we can do it.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:18 PM »
i must say that Lincoln Phillips' work with our keepers has been phenomenal!

both keepers have shown drastically improved technique compared to what we are accustom to.
Great work Lincoln

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
i must say that Lincoln Phillips' work with our keepers has been phenomenal!

both keepers have shown drastically improved technique compared to what we are accustom to.
Great work Lincoln

Over on Wired868 yesterday I was stunned to see people (including Lasana) either questioning his appointment ("nepotism") or alluding to the fact that there were other options ("plenty goalkeeping coaches in Trinidad") besides Lincoln.  Forget for a minute that he's arguably the greatest goalkeeper that the Caribbean has ever produced, it's not like he's been doing a poor job with Forbes and Parker.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:07:18 PM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 25, 2014, 08:52:05 AM »
Hoping we doh have to play on November 8!!!!! If it comes to that, TTFA and coaching staff be aware that you have to factor in altitude planning.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
Hoping we doh have to play on November 8!!!!! If it comes to that, TTFA and coaching staff be aware that you have to factor in altitude planning.

;D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #335 on: October 26, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »
Women refocus and aim to get it right vs Mexico.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).   

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Women’s Team head coach Randy Waldrum says this country will not be intimidated by the challenge of Mexico in tomorrow’s third place encounter from which the winner will advance to the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.

Waldrum spoke on the eve of the contest after conducting a light recovery session with the team on Saturday morning in Philadelphia.  This followed their defeat on penalty kicks to Costa Rica on Friday night.

The T&T players were scheduled to have an afternoon pool session and the rest of the evening off to recharge for Sunday’s encounter.

Looking back at Friday’s game, Waldrum told TTFA Media: “It’s game that neither myself or the players would tell you we think we played particularly well.

It’s game we never found our rhythm in honestly but with that said, we made some changes for the second half and we were much better. We were able to put a lot more pressure on Costa Rica. We weren’t all that creative but we played with a lot of heart and fight.”

“It’s disappointing to lose the way we did after coming back to level the game. Now the focus is to get the players reenergized and believing in themselves again for tomorrow’s game.

Mexico have been a dominant team in CONCACAF in the past but this is a different Mexico team with a lot of young players. Yes they’re good but they’re maybe not as strong as past Mexican teams and I think we can see this as a winnable game.

We can’t to come out flat like we did yesterday. We’ve got to be ready to come out there and battle for 90 minutes,” Waldrum added.

The match kicks off at 3pm at PPL Park and will be followed by the final between the United States and Mexico.

RELATED NEWS

Soca Princesses go for final automatic World Cup spot.
By BY Ian Prescott (Express).

Second Chance

Trinidad and Tobago’s women’s national football team, the “Soca Princesses,” have a second chance at claiming an automatic qualifying spot for the 2015 FIFA Women World Cup, when they battle Mexico today in the third place playoff at the 2014 Concacaf Championship from 3 p.m. in Chester, Pennsylvania, United States.

If defeated, T&T will face Ecuador next month in a two-leg playoff for a final spot at the World Cup. Both already qualified United States and Costa Rica will play tonight’s Championship final from 6 p.m.

Today, T&T will be without suspended central defender Ria Belgrave, and also need to recover from the heartbreak of their penalty kicks semi-final loss to the Costa Ricans. Their semi-final ended in a hard-fought 1-1 draw following 120 minutes of football, before Costa Rica goalkeeper Dinnia Diaz produced a great performance in the subsequent penalty shootout to win the match 3-0, following saves against T&T’s opening three kickers, captain Maylee Attin-Johnson, Lauren Hutchinson and Mariah Shade.

Meanwhile, Mexico were forced to defend for the entirety of a very hard semi-final, losing 3-0 to the Americans. The Americans also hit the post three times, and missed several easy chances, but still managed 21 shots at the Mexican goalkeeper. Mexico managed just a single shot at the USA goal.

Looking ahead to playing the Mexicans, Sweden-based midfielder Ahkeela Millon said T&T needed to own the midfield against Mexico, to be successful following the penalty kicks defeat to Cosa Rica.

“We need to own the midfield. Midfield is the engine of a team and in order to be successful at this level we need to own the midfield and reinforce our attack,” Mollon said.

Speaking of the Costa Rica loss she said: “It is really tough because we came into the game knowing we had a lot of assets, namely our speed,” Mollon added. “We did not get to use our speed and put Costa Rica under pressure.”

Costa Rica is a good team and one thing they do well is possess the midfield and that is what we needed to do to bring our attack into the game tonight. Unfortunately Costa Rica were able to dominate the midfield.”

Meanwhile T&T coach Randy Waldrum was optimistic that the Mexicans can be over come.

He told TTFA Media: “Mexico have been a dominant team in Concacaf in the past but this is a different Mexico team with a lot of young players. Yes they’re good but they’re maybe not as strong as past Mexican teams and I think we can see this as a winnable game. We can’t come out flat like we did yesterday (Friday). We’ve got to be ready to come out there and battle for 90 minutes.”

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:55:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 27, 2014, 05:23:22 AM »
Women’s team returns from CONCACAF qualifiers

By Mark Fraser

The Ministry of Sport and the TTFA will host a media conference and welcome reception for the returning members of the Trinidad and Tobago senior women’s team (Soca Princesses) following the team’s arrival tonight at 7.40 on United Airlines via Houston.
The team is returning home following its 4-2 defeat to Mexico in extra time yesterday in the third place playoff of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship.
T&T, which performed creditably throughout the tournament, will now look ahead to a home and away playoff with Ecuador. The away leg takes place in Quito, Ecuador on November 8 while the return leg in Port of Spain is set for December 2.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What of national pride?
« Reply #337 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
Good article about the shameful fact that none of our local TV stations in T&T made the effort to cover the crucial World Cup qualifier game live between T&T and Mexico last night.

What of national pride?
By Fazeer Mohammed
Story Created: Oct 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Thanks Andre, Tony and I95.5FM. As a dinosaur with a laptop almost as archaic, I had to rely on I95’s commentary of Trinidad and Tobago’s duel with Mexico yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia for a spot at next year’s Women’s World Cup football finals.

Say what you like about Andre Baptiste’s broadcast style, it does keep you interested. Even the merest hint of an attacking play results in high-pitched screaming and an even more frenetic pace than his already frantic manner. But then, what do you expect from a horseracing fanatic? Frankly, the only thing missing from my former St Mary’s College liming pardner’s repertoire is something like “...and down the stretch they come!”

At his side sharing commentary duties was Tony Lee. This senior broadcaster’s measured contributions were the perfect foil to Andre’s super-fast ranting and raving, a welcome change from the station’s usual football commentary experts, Edgar Vidale and Ken Butcher.

It’s not that Edgar, the former national coach, and former national player Ken don’t know what they’re talking about or can’t articulate, but they continuously violate one of the fundamental rules of broadcasting by rambling over each other’s voices to the extent that it often comes across as an irritating, unintelligible jumble.

Beggars can’t be choosers though, and if it had to be that way, I was prepared to listen to a commentary team of Rachel Price, Reema Carmona and their legal representatives just to be able to follow the “live” action of that critical third-place playoff in the final phase of CONCACAF qualifying.

Yesterday’s “live” broadcast from the United States is in keeping with I95’s coverage of major sporting events in which there is a significant national interest, including Olympic Games, World Athletic Championships and Commonwealth Games. By the way, this is not about self-serving bigging-up just because the station now falls under the umbrella of One Caribbean Media, the organisation that is also the parent company of this newspaper.

Long before the acquisition, Andre, Tony and company were jetting off to Beijing, Delhi and other far-flung cities to relay the action as it happened involving Trinidad and Tobago competitors, so OCM can’t really take any credit for this latest initiative. In fact, the parent company should be taking a careful look at the lukewarm response to its own three-part series “Birth of a Track Nation.”

In case you have no idea what I’m talking about, I don’t blame you. These half-hour programmes on the country’s three medal-winning performances at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics – 50 years ago – are suffering from a lack of promotion and time slots that are hardly ideal.

If you missed the weekend airings of the first two parts (Edwin Roberts’ bronze in the 200 metres and Wendell Mottley’s silver in the 400) or can’t catch next Sunday’s story of the 4 x 400 relay bronze effort, repeats are shown on the following Tuesday. What time on Tuesday, you ask? Well, it’s 4.30 p.m. No, not a.m. but p.m., the time you’re still at work, just finishing work or stuck in traffic somewhere between work and home.

Look, I fully appreciate all the financial considerations and value of primetime, especially for a private concern that is not the beneficiary of state largesse. Surely though, such programming that is so relevant to us deserves better treatment.

As I’m typing this Kennya Cordner has just scored a second half equaliser and Andre is at his delirious best, even moreso as goalkeeper Kimika Forbes pulls off an excellent save shortly after to keep the scores level. Mexico pour forward again, a shot comes off the crossbar and Tony says something about, for all of you who can’t see this, this is really entertaining football.

But why can’t we see it? Why? Why do we have to go searching across the worldwide web for some obscure, hard-to-locate website that is pirating the Fox Sports 2 coverage of the tournament? There is so little regard for sport and its value and prominence in our society that a national team in with a very good chance of going to the Women’s World Cup finals for the first time can’t attract either the will or the way to bring “live” television coverage.

But wait, Andre bawling down the place again as Mariah Shade makes it 2-1 T&T in the 78th minute, only for Mexico to level 40 seconds later. This is not about a $50,000 per player incentive but about determination, desperation and national pride...whatever the final score.

A great pity then that we couldn’t see it, although Andre and Tony were doing a damn good job of capturing the excitement. “We holding on!” says Tony, as the whistle blows, signalling extra-time. No time, or no desire, to put it on our screens though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:14:05 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
Good article about the shameful fact that none of our local TV stations in T&T made the effort to cover the crucial World Cup qualifier game live between T&T and Mexico last night.

What of national pride?
By Fazeer Mohammed
Story Created: Oct 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Thanks Andre, Tony and I95.5FM. As a dinosaur with a laptop almost as archaic, I had to rely on I95’s commentary of Trinidad and Tobago’s duel with Mexico yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia for a spot at next year’s Women’s World Cup football finals.

Say what you like about Andre Baptiste’s broadcast style, it does keep you interested. Even the merest hint of an attacking play results in high-pitched screaming and an even more frenetic pace than his already frantic manner. But then, what do you expect from a horseracing fanatic? Frankly, the only thing missing from my former St Mary’s College liming pardner’s repertoire is something like “...and down the stretch they come!”

At his side sharing commentary duties was Tony Lee. This senior broadcaster’s measured contributions were the perfect foil to Andre’s super-fast ranting and raving, a welcome change from the station’s usual football commentary experts, Edgar Vidale and Ken Butcher.

It’s not that Edgar, the former national coach, and former national player Ken don’t know what they’re talking about or can’t articulate, but they continuously violate one of the fundamental rules of broadcasting by rambling over each other’s voices to the extent that it often comes across as an irritating, unintelligible jumble.

Beggars can’t be choosers though, and if it had to be that way, I was prepared to listen to a commentary team of Rachel Price, Reema Carmona and their legal representatives just to be able to follow the “live” action of that critical third-place playoff in the final phase of CONCACAF qualifying.

Yesterday’s “live” broadcast from the United States is in keeping with I95’s coverage of major sporting events in which there is a significant national interest, including Olympic Games, World Athletic Championships and Commonwealth Games. By the way, this is not about self-serving bigging-up just because the station now falls under the umbrella of One Caribbean Media, the organisation that is also the parent company of this newspaper.

Long before the acquisition, Andre, Tony and company were jetting off to Beijing, Delhi and other far-flung cities to relay the action as it happened involving Trinidad and Tobago competitors, so OCM can’t really take any credit for this latest initiative. In fact, the parent company should be taking a careful look at the lukewarm response to its own three-part series “Birth of a Track Nation.”

In case you have no idea what I’m talking about, I don’t blame you. These half-hour programmes on the country’s three medal-winning performances at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics – 50 years ago – are suffering from a lack of promotion and time slots that are hardly ideal.

If you missed the weekend airings of the first two parts (Edwin Roberts’ bronze in the 200 metres and Wendell Mottley’s silver in the 400) or can’t catch next Sunday’s story of the 4 x 400 relay bronze effort, repeats are shown on the following Tuesday. What time on Tuesday, you ask? Well, it’s 4.30 p.m. No, not a.m. but p.m., the time you’re still at work, just finishing work or stuck in traffic somewhere between work and home.

Look, I fully appreciate all the financial considerations and value of primetime, especially for a private concern that is not the beneficiary of state largesse. Surely though, such programming that is so relevant to us deserves better treatment.

As I’m typing this Kennya Cordner has just scored a second half equaliser and Andre is at his delirious best, even moreso as goalkeeper Kimika Forbes pulls off an excellent save shortly after to keep the scores level. Mexico pour forward again, a shot comes off the crossbar and Tony says something about, for all of you who can’t see this, this is really entertaining football.

But why can’t we see it? Why? Why do we have to go searching across the worldwide web for some obscure, hard-to-locate website that is pirating the Fox Sports 2 coverage of the tournament? There is so little regard for sport and its value and prominence in our society that a national team in with a very good chance of going to the Women’s World Cup finals for the first time can’t attract either the will or the way to bring “live” television coverage.

But wait, Andre bawling down the place again as Mariah Shade makes it 2-1 T&T in the 78th minute, only for Mexico to level 40 seconds later. This is not about a $50,000 per player incentive but about determination, desperation and national pride...whatever the final score.

A great pity then that we couldn’t see it, although Andre and Tony were doing a damn good job of capturing the excitement. “We holding on!” says Tony, as the whistle blows, signalling extra-time. No time, or no desire, to put it on our screens though.

Nice  :beermug:

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
As much as I hoped for the women's team to qualify for the world cup, as it stands now, I am forced to concede that the ladies will not qualify....even with a thousand tries.

The Trini mindset is simply too strong, and I use that word very loosely, to allow for the team to qualify. Let me explain....

The national U21 team with Yorke, Nixon, Eve et al were the first team from Trinidad and Tobago to qualify for a world competition. No bonuses were paid, the team was well supported and funded without the fanfare of present day. The U17 and U20 boys were similarly supported and qualified accordingly.

Our next world competition qualification after the U21 tram was the 06 warriors.

To qualify, the team had to hire a proper coach who promptly rid the team of the vast majority of local based players and instead went with those who were plying their trades abroad. With that single  move, he eliminated the 'Trini Mentality'. The first step to qualification was successfully taken. Only after qualification was secured was a bonus promised and given by the gov't of the day. No bonus payment was made because they got to the hex or the playoffs.

In 89, the Trini mentality was in full effect. Celebrating before we played USA, it is now well known that the team travelled from deep south on a proverbial victory ride to the venue even before a ball was kicked in anger. Of course, the Strike Squad did not qualify.

Fast forward to present day and the women's team. Doing well all along, despite lack of support from fans and gov't alike. They do relatively ok against USA and boom the gov't decides to pay a bonus. For what? The girls didn't achieve a single thing as yet. But the Trini mentality, so absent prior to the gov't intervention, suddenly kicked in and began to permeate through the team. First bite at the cherry....failed. Second bite...had the lead and direct qualification in sight...Trini mentality kicks in stronger...we celebrating....eventual failure. They will not succeed at the third bite....it simply is down to the Trini mentality.

We celebrate mediocrity....'aye we in a position to qualify, lewwe celebrate and pay ppl like we done qualify'. 'aye, look we get a bronze medal...lewwe name stadium and have tv show'.

I always was in favour of celebrating achievements...gold medals, victories, titles. Not almost succeed.

Real teams and players don't celebrate third and fourth....they despise it. And don't give the 'we is only a small country' argument. If thats the case then play in a small country tournament.

Unless this mentality is removed....we will never qualify for a world competition again....never

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
I disagree with you a bit, Mr. Diamond. These girls were swimming up a creek from the get go. They simply not good enough AT THIS MOMENT. If Waldrun and the team were sent to Houston from the beginning, instead going thru the circus, I think they may have book their passage against CR. I watch the girls, and I don't see this so-called Trini mentality some of you are talking about. And I don't think Waldrun would have tolerated that attitude anyhow.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
Diamond.....before this tournament took place....losses against the USA, Costa Rica, and Mexico were a given

And that turned out to be accurate.

EXCEPT

NOBODY would have ever thought we would have lost by a 1 goal margin to the US at home

On penalties to Costa Rica

And leading Mexico in the 78th minute and they had to fight back to force overtime.

What I'm saying is....our ladies over achieved...IN SPITE OF the trini mentality.

Did they lose?  Yes.  And should we be "celebrating" mediocrity?  I would say to call what happened with these ladies "mediocre" to be extremely harsh.

I completely understand and agree to a large extent about that "trini mentality".  It's what cost us on Nov 19 1989.  It cost us at other times too.  But that wasn't the case here and to equate what happened at this qualifying with those instances is extremely unfair to the ladies IMO.

They weren't favorites to win in any of those matches.  When they WERE favourites against Haiti and Guatemala, they won.  They never publicly said anything that even hinted of over confidence.  They WERE positive AND articulate when interviewed and nothing wrong with that at all.

I suspect you, like many of us, are disappointed in the result.  So close but yet so far etc.  But in this case, it's not because of a negative "trini mentality".  We just came up against teams that are more prepared, fitter, and frankly better than us.  And gave them ALL a run for their money.  And there is still an opportunity to qualify for the world cup.

The ladies can no more control government giving them bonuses before they qualify than they can control having to beg for supplies on arrival in the US for the tournament. 

If you want to call their performances and results mediocre, it's your prerogative.  In THIS instance, I am happy to celebrate "mediocrity".

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »
First  up diamondtrim  i respectfully disagree  with the term mediocrity  as it  relates to our ladies  performances thus  far  and throughout this  tournament ,  as a matter of fact  their  efforts and performances  were  remarkable  to say the least ...  Diamond  disappointed i'm sure you are .... as well as  many  of us ..  including the ladies themselves ....keep in mind  the journey is not over  and i do not believe coach  randy waldrum along with his assistants will allow complacency  to step in .....  knowing the task at hand ... i do believe  this team of players  have it  in them to get the job done  ......  one game at a time.....so   let us lend  our support to  these ladies  all the way through..!!  ......  on a side note it will  be great to see a full stadium  for the return on december.... 

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
The team did great. You dig a hole and hide yuh face if yuh want. I proud.
 "trini mentality" is using that word 'mediocrity' every time  ppl trying to show they know more bout some sport than everybody else, but they couldn't make the sacrifice or achievements themselves. I like Trini Mentality, cause that's my mentality, you can have whatever other country mentality yuh want (guess Jamaica wins most Olympic medals in the Caribbean), so you could adopt that mentality if yuh want. I am especially proud of Trini athletes who give of their time, and potential careers to achieve very little in the way of any major rewards or appreciation. When dey get, we vex, when they don't get we vex..I love allyuh we   :D

add: what palos said

ps: me·di·oc·ri·ty noun \ˌmē-dē-ˈä-krə-tē\ 

: the quality of something that is not very good : the quality or state of being mediocre

: a person who does not have the special ability to do something well

yuh really know what yuh saying ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:17:34 PM by maxg »

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
 Meh trini mentality is fuh keeps ah aint changing.....    ( Portrait ah trinidad )........just come to mind

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
Having spoken to a couple of these ladies let me tell you, they are disappointed, and at no point were they overconfident or feeling like "we reach."  They recognized the task at hand and fought hard.  I can't tell you why the team came out flat against CR, or why they suffered a let down right after scoring against Mexico, but that happens in football... there is a well-known maxim that the most dangerous time for any team is right after scoring a goal.  Maybe they relaxed a little bit and lost focus, but that isn't down to some "Trini mentality," others will be more diplomatic in saying it, but I will call it what it prperly is, shit talk.  I am very proud of these ladies and the effort that they put in.  I am respectful of Ecuador, especially playing in Quito, but I'm also confident in these ladies and the fact that they will come out of this home-and-away series victors, and prove all of the naysayers wrong.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
T&T’s Kennya Cordner selected to the 2014 CONCACAF Women’s Championship Best XI
http://www.concacaf.com/article/cwc-award-winners
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
Well, well. Congrats Princess Kennya.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Hope Solo? Best Keeper really?

Kimora Forbes, hands down and no bias.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »
So, someone spoke to the girls and decided that was enough to disregard what the end results were....fine, go ahead. We came fourth, granted it was a best ever placing, and another one chimes in that we did great....fine as well, continue.

That just properly illustrates my point. As a nation, we are content with things like fourth place finishes and bronze medals. Why? Because we are a physically small nation? My position is that if we are competing, then let us compete and aim for gold, don't be happy with a 'better than last time' showing. If as a country we are competing with other countries 10 or 100 times our size then thats just tough....but it is no excuse to be happy with what is a poor showing. We should judge ourselves against the best, not the best of the rest. Granted we may not win a world cup....but set the goal to qualify directly, at first offering. Set the goal to be top 2/3 in concacaf. Set lofty goals....not fourth place back door qualification goals.

We shouldn't say we ONLY lost 1-0 to USA....we lost...period. Or we lost on penalties to Costa Rica...again, we lost...period. Or in extra time against Mexico....WE LOST!!!

Fourth is not great...it aint bad....but it wasn't enough to qualify for the world cup so it simply was not good enough.

Call it 'shit talk', swimming up a creek, or whatever it may be....the irrefutable fact is we have not yet qualified for the world cup, we have not yet achieved a single thing, yet the gov't celebrated a non achievement with a bonus. It was evident on the field when we went ahead against Mexico. Even admitted by the skipper. The Trini Mentality creeped in and played a role in the so-far non qualification.

Is the football record books saying that we held England scoreless for 83 mins or are the record books saying we lost. Sentiment and heart is all well and good....but at the end of the day results is what matters.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 27, 2014, 08:01:53 PM »
Looks like the team heading to Mexico City to train at altitude from Wednesday...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Having spoken to a couple of these ladies let me tell you, they are disappointed, and at no point were they overconfident or feeling like "we reach."  They recognized the task at hand and fought hard.  I can't tell you why the team came out flat against CR, or why they suffered a let down right after scoring against Mexico, but that happens in football... there is a well-known maxim that the most dangerous time for any team is right after scoring a goal.  Maybe they relaxed a little bit and lost focus, but that isn't down to some "Trini mentality," others will be more diplomatic in saying it, but I will call it what it prperly is, shit talk.  I am very proud of these ladies and the effort that they put in.  I am respectful of Ecuador, especially playing in Quito, but I'm also confident in these ladies and the fact that they will come out of this home-and-away series victors, and prove all of the naysayers wrong.

Yeah. That is what I saying. I have a good feeling about this team.

The pressure will be on Ecuador to win the first game by at least 2 goals.. Same way there was pressure on the US to blow us away by at least 3 goals.. Look what happened!

Was it a Trini mentality that caused us to perform well against the US, Haiti and Guatemala? I am completely confused with this Trini mentality stupidness. :banginghead:

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
Hope Solo? Best Keeper really?

Kimora Forbes, hands down and no bias.

I would also say Mollon. Very entertaining to watch.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
we have not yet achieved a single thing, yet the gov't celebrated a non achievement with a bonus.

diamond, i feel you probably more pissed off with the gov't last minute responds and fly by night decision to give the bonus. I don't think that had any bearing on the game. Our girls gave their all, mistakes and all, and came up short.  What do you want the girls to say, No, we don't want it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:50:48 PM by Deeks »

Offline trinbago1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
Good that they acknowledge what the team has done so far but the important thing is to give the team whatever they need to win, really hope they get to go to Mexico to acclimatise to d altitude

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
but the important thing is to give the team whatever they need to win,

Well, a little to late. Quito, Quito!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
Looks like the team heading to Mexico City to train at altitude from Wednesday...

That's good news if true!! :thumbsup:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
So, someone spoke to the girls and decided that was enough to disregard what the end results were....fine, go ahead. We came fourth, granted it was a best ever placing, and another one chimes in that we did great....fine as well, continue.

That just properly illustrates my point. As a nation, we are content with things like fourth place finishes and bronze medals. Why? Because we are a physically small nation? My position is that if we are competing, then let us compete and aim for gold, don't be happy with a 'better than last time' showing. If as a country we are competing with other countries 10 or 100 times our size then thats just tough....but it is no excuse to be happy with what is a poor showing. We should judge ourselves against the best, not the best of the rest. Granted we may not win a world cup....but set the goal to qualify directly, at first offering. Set the goal to be top 2/3 in concacaf. Set lofty goals....not fourth place back door qualification goals.

We shouldn't say we ONLY lost 1-0 to USA....we lost...period. Or we lost on penalties to Costa Rica...again, we lost...period. Or in extra time against Mexico....WE LOST!!!

Fourth is not great...it aint bad....but it wasn't enough to qualify for the world cup so it simply was not good enough.

Call it 'shit talk', swimming up a creek, or whatever it may be....the irrefutable fact is we have not yet qualified for the world cup, we have not yet achieved a single thing, yet the gov't celebrated a non achievement with a bonus. It was evident on the field when we went ahead against Mexico. Even admitted by the skipper. The Trini Mentality creeped in and played a role in the so-far non qualification.

Is the football record books saying that we held England scoreless for 83 mins or are the record books saying we lost. Sentiment and heart is all well and good....but at the end of the day results is what matters.

......and then they does want to turn around and say the government and the people is 3rd world mentality. Yet, they willingly accepting, praising, and promoting mediocrity. The players worked hard and gave it their all, that's good and all, but not  good enough.

I think we are at a kinda patronizing stage with the players. Maybe it's because they are women, or some now start following women football? I don't know, but I find it a bit indulging to be patting the team on the back and criticizing anyone who criticizes the team.

Would we have rushed to be falling over ourselves in
congratulatory mode if it was "shit hound KJ who have bricks for feet" leading the team to these results? Would we have wanted Hyland out of the midfield if he had surrendered the midfield game after game, after game? How much stupid would Jan or Phillips have been?

These players on this team are very, very talented and I will say it again, it was not enough. We keep saying 1-0 to USA. Did anyone watch the game? It was crossing and finishing practice for the USA for long periods with us resorting to kicking the ball away. Is that progress, the score? Not looking at the whole? We did not lose by 10, this is our yard stick?

If we truly want progress, let's hold the Women Soca Warriors to the same/similar standards as the Men Soca Warriors.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »
patronizing stage with the players. Maybe it's because they are women

Maybe some people, but I called a spade a spade. I and some on the forum look at this tournament. And we know the team fell short, but it is the manner of their play. They made mistakes, and came back fighting. What so patronizing about encouraging your team when you know their performance could have been better if people in responsible position had done their duty. If you use to watch the past TT teams play, which were very few games and especially against the US, you would understand why many on the forum are not overly critical of the ladies. I saw a team with MariJo Ramkisson(I think). A very lively gk, get about 8. No chance at all. Allyuh would have turned off the tv.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 27, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »
If we truly want progress, let's hold the Women Soca Warriors to the same/similar standards as the Men Soca Warriors.

I agree with this. But..... How can we hold them to the same standards when they come out way down the totem pole when resources for important tournaments are allocated.  The men's team went Euro. and the mideast before the GC. They went Argentina and they also played Iran. Which team(s) of significance did the women get to play before this tournament.

1]; } ?>