March 28, 2024, 01:57:29 PM

Author Topic: Emrit tipped to lead Tridents at Champions League  (Read 1984 times)

socafighter

Emrit tipped to lead Tridents at Champions League
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »

Emrit tipped to lead Tridents at Champions League
By JOEL BAILEY Friday, September 5 2014

NATIONAL ALL-ROUNDER Rayad Emrit is being tipped to lead the Barbados Tridents in the forthcoming Champions League T20 Tournament in India, in the absence of countryman Kieron Pollard.

The 33-year-old Emrit could be given the mantle as Tridents captain since Pollard will be representing his Indian Premier League (IPL) outfit Mumbai Indians, while other experienced all-rounders Dwayne Smith and Shoaib Malik, who both played instrumental roles in Tridents winning the 2014 Caribbean Premier League (CPL), opting to play for Chennai Super Kings and Hobart Hurricanes of Australia respectively.

The Champions League T20 will take place from September 13 to October 4, with the qualifiers running from September 13-16.

The Tridents are in Group B, alongside the Hurricanes, Kings XI Punjab of India, Cape Cobras of South Africa and one of the two qualifying teams.

During a telephone interview yesterday, Emrit, when asked about the captaincy of the Tridents, would neither confirm or deny if he will be appointed to that role.

“A decision was made,” he said. “I don’t know if it was made public as yet. I know a decision has been made.”

The Tridents began a ten-day camp yesterday, with Emrit expected to join the squad today.

“Hopefully, things will be in place,” he said. “We have a ten-day camp before we leave for India on the 14th.”

Asked where in Barbados will the camp be staged, the long-serving TT all-rounder replied, “it’s a mixture of Kensington Oval, Carlton Ground and another ground. It’s a combination of about three or four grounds.”

With Pollard, Smith and Malik donning other colours in India, Emrit is not fazed by the trio’s decisions.

“They are three important guys who are not playing with us,” he noted. “But, having said that, it’s a good opportunity for the local guys to step up and show what they are worth in an international arena.

“We have three good replacements — (James) Franklyn, (Elton) Chigumbura and (Dilshan) Munaweera. Those guys have international experience so, hopefully, they can bring what they have learnt in an international stage and to our team as well.”

Emrit has played a number of years at the Champions League with the TT Red Force.

Questioned how he’ll be able to cope playing for a new team at the Champions League, Emrit replied, “it’s franchise cricket now. I’m used to it now. I’ll be going to India, not with the Trinidad and Tobago team but as professionals we need to adapt and, hopefully, adapt as quickly as possible.”

Barbados Tridents team — Shane Dowrich, Jeevan Mendis, Jason Holder, Ashley Nurse, Jonathan Carter, Neil McKenzie, Akeal Hosein, Ravi Rampaul, Rayad Emrit, Raymon Reifer, Kyle Mayers, William Perkins, James Franklin, Elton Chigumbura, Dilshan Munaweera.

socafighter

Re: Emrit tipped to lead Tridents at Champions League
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »
Champion Trophy stacked for IPL teams...

Tridents asked for  Sammy, Evin Lewis and Shahid Afridi..and the IPL refused.

They approved  (James) Franklyn, (Elton) Chigumbura and (Dilshan) Munaweera

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »

Good! Why should Tridents be allowed to poach players from other teams within the same league?  If KKR didn't qualify could Mumbai or some other IPL team ask for Narine to play?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »

Good! Why should Tridents be allowed to poach players from other teams within the same league?  If KKR didn't qualify could Mumbai or some other IPL team ask for Narine to play?

Evin Lewis and Afridi playing for any IPL teams?

Also this tournament is run by IPL? Wtf!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »

Evin Lewis and Afridi playing for any IPL teams?

Also this tournament is run by IPL? Wtf!

The IPL ( or rather the BCCI) is one of the biggest shareholders in the CL, so I guess they can call the shots  ( as they seem to do in international cricket.)

My contention is that If a team has qualified from a league to be in the Champions League then they should not be allowed to poach players from other teams in the same league .  If Tridents are allowed to poach other players from teams in the CPL to boost their chances in the CL, then what's stopping IPL teams from poaching the best players from other IPL teams which haven't qualified? 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:10:40 AM by Michael-j »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
Tridents is the first team I've seen to do that. Normally teams remain without replacements. I must be miss something. My gripe is why can't Tridents get Afridi and Lewis? Wonder what the reason is.

I happy for Zimbabwe they get a player in CL
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »

Interesting, I guess you call the shots when you are one of the shareholders. I am beginning to lose interest in this Champions League

socafighter

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
TTCB endorses Tridents captain
Monday, September 8 2014
Newsday

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago Cricket Board (T&TCB) have extended heartiest congratulations and best wishes to allrounder Rayad Emrit on his appointment as captain of the Barbados Tridents team for the forthcoming Champions League T20 tournament in India.

Emrit, 33, was elevated to lead the recently crowned 2014 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) champions Tridents after regular skipper Kieron Pollard, who took them to qualification for the Champions League last month, opted instead to play for his Indian Premier League franchise, the Mumbai Indians.

President of the TTCB Azim Bassarath said yesterday that his fellow board members and the entire cricket community are overjoyed that Emrit, who for the past decade has been a mainstay in the Red Force set-up, has been given an opportunity to show his leadership qualities on one of the world’s biggest cricket stages.

Also missing from the Tridents line-up but was very instrumental in helping the team win the 2014 CPL is devastating opening batsman Dwayne Smith, a Barbadian who will wear the Chennai Super Kings colours.

Bassarath said despite the unavailability of Pollard and Smith, Emrit is up to the challenge to lead his team to challenge their rivals when the main draw of the competition gets underway on September 17.

socafighter

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:48:59 AM »
Haynes hails Emrit’s appointment

Published: Guardian
Wednesday, September 10, 2014

BRIDGETOWN—Barbados Tridents head coach Desmond Haynes has fully endorsed Rayad Emrit’s appointment as captain for the upcoming Champions League Twenty20 in India.

Emrit takes over from Kieron Pollard who led the Tridents during the recently staged Caribbean Premier League but is unavailable because of his commitments to Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians. “Coaching in the Champions League T20 will be a fantastic experience, and I’m delighted to be supported by Rayad as captain,” Haynes said. “He demonstrated his capabilities as a natural leader throughout our recent CPL campaign and was a straight-forward choice to lead the team. I’ve very much enjoyed working with the boys and I’m confident we can make an impression against some of the world’s best.”

He added: “Rayad has a lot of experience captaining Trinidad for the last couple of years so even though Polly (Pollard) has done a fantastic job for us in the CPL, we are sure Rayad will be able to handle the side very well.” Emrit played in all ten matches of the Tridents CPL campaign and contested the 2013 Champions League for his native Trinidad and Tobago when they managed to reach the semi-final before being knocked out by Mumbai.

“It’s an honour to lead the Barbados Tridents into the most prestigious tournament in domestic T20 cricket. It’s a chance for us to pit our wits against some of the best-known teams around, and show the rest of the world the amount of talent that exists within the CPL,” Emrit said. “Polly has been doing an excellent job for the Tridents for the last two years. Hopefully, I can do the same if not go one step further and go all the way and bring another title for us. “The Champions League is a tough tournament but I think that with the talent we have, I think that we can give a good account of ourselves.”

Tridents will be also missing Dwayne Smith who has commitments with Chennai Super Kings, and Shoaib Malik who will be playing for Australian Big Bash side Hobart Hurricanes. The Barbados franchise qualified for the CLT20 when they beat Guyana Amazon Warriors in a rain-hit final of the CPL at Warner Park in St Kitts last month. Tridents face Kings XI Punjab in their opening game on September 20, in the tournament that runs until October 6th. (CMC)

socafighter

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:27:16 AM »

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – Barbados Tridents head coach Desmond Haynes believes his side can overcome the loss of their three key players and excel in the Champions League Twenty20.

The Bridgetown-based franchise will participate the global T20 tournament which bowls off next week in India but will have to do without the services of captain Kieron Pollard, opener Dwayne Smith and top-order batsman Shoaib Malik who will all contest the CLT20 for other franchises.

Haynes, the West Indies batting legend of the 1980s and 1990s, said the side had been preparing for some while for this eventuality.

“We’re disappointed but at the beginning of the CPL tournament, we knew that we were going to lose these players anyway because when you consider and compare the contracts — a Barbados Tridents contract to a Mumbai Indians contract — there is no way you would get a Pollard playing for the Tridents if the Mumbai Indians qualify,” Haynes said.

“We knew that we were going to miss these guys but as I said the guys that we have got in our side realise that this is a very big stage. This is a stage where there are a lot of opportunities and we feel that with the guys’ enthusiasm and the purpose of this all – it’s US$2.5 million if you win the tournament – I don’t think you need any more motivation than that.”

Tridents beat Guyana Amazon Warriors in a rain-hit final last month, to win the Limacol Caribbean Premier League and qualify for the CLT20.

For the competition, they have been installed in Group B alongside Kings XI Punjab of India, Cape Cobras of South Africa and Hobart Hurricanes out of Australia. They group will be completed by a yet-to-determined side coming out of the qualifiers starting next week.

Haynes said the Tridents understood the nature of the challenge but were very motivated, and had been also reflecting on the success of Trinidad teams that had done very well in the CLT20 in the past.

“The guys understand that this is a very serious competition where they have an opportunity perform on a very big stage. And you never know, some of the guys if they do well in this tournament can go on to get a contract in IPL so the guys understand the benefits they can get from it. Judging from what I’ve seen so far, the guys I have been working with look very keen,” said Haynes.

“I know a lot of people in Barbados are going to be supporting us. They know that the Trinidad team that went there before and had the opportunity to play in the Champions League, gave a very good account of themselves down there and it is something we are looking at too.

“The last team that played in the Champions League from the Caribbean was Trinidad and they did very well so we’ll see if we can match that or go one step further.”

All-rounder Rayad Emrit has replaced Pollard as captain, a move Haynes said was an excellent one.

“Rayad has a lot of experience captaining Trinidad for the last couple of years and even though yes, Polly (Pollard) has done a fantastic job for us in the CPL competition, we’re sure that Rayad will be able to handle the side very well.”

Barbados Tridents depart here Sunday for India via London.

1]; } ?>