March 29, 2024, 05:33:20 AM

Author Topic: Jimmy Aboud dies at 87  (Read 2767 times)

socafighter

Jimmy Aboud dies at 87
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
Jimmy Aboud dies at 87
By \\\\\ Leah Sorias
Story Created: Sep 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM ECT
Express

Textile giant Jimmy C. Aboud has died at the age of 87.

Aboud, who founded Jimmy Aboud the Textile King 65 years ago, passed away early yesterday morning at the University of Miami Hospital’s Cardiac Care Unit.

According to statement from his family, he had been admitted to the hospital for an emergency valve replacement procedure which was only available at a few centres in the United States.

“He survived the surgery but became complicated with varying issues related to his advanced age. He finally succumbed peacefully with his family around him this (yesterday) morning,” the statement said.

In September 1949, Aboud established his business in a single doorway rental shop on Charlotte Street with an overdraft of $50 from Barclays Bank, now known as Republic Bank Ltd.

He became one of the first clients of the Bank of Nova Scotia (now Scotiabank) who increased his overdraft to $500 after they visited his shop and liked his ambition and enthusiasm.

Before this moment Jimmy helped his father, a peddler and haberdashery merchant, in the 1930s and 1940s while he put himself through school.

“He took example from the successful merchants of the day and would always try to see what he could learn from them, eventually deciding that the path to success meant emulating successful people, working harder than your competitors, making sure that every transaction benefitted both the buyer and the seller, always taking personal responsibility for his failures and attributing the success of others to their performance being superior to his,” the statement from his family added.

Aboud’s business operations have always remained in Port of Spain.

“He loved the city and his country,” Gregory Aboud, president of the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association, said of his father yesterday.

The company now provides fabrics to the entire Caribbean and the Americas.

Aboud leaves to mourn his wife Lily, his four sons Gregory, Gary (Fishermen and Friends of the Sea head), Stephen (Pharmaco Industries Ltd managing director), Justice James Aboud and Linda Stephen.

Gregory Aboud said the funeral arrangements for his father will be announced once finalised.

socafighter

Re: Jimmy Aboud dies at 87
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »

These are what T&T needs ,,the small ma and pa operations that grow .
They pay taxes that build a country .

If only the politicians had any inkling of grey matter they would support such
entrepreneurial spirit . Oh no they support hand outs ...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

Soca, you know he and his family has been PNM financiers for ages.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
RIP to a true son of the soil.  I know that there are many who don't care for the "Syrians", and some for good reason, but some were hard workers who did their parts to help make TnT what it is today.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

socafighter

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »

Yes they support both political parties ...I visited with some of their relatives in Federation Park a few weeks ago...and heard their opinions of the political situation in T&T ....

I visited the Sabga's also , my husband went to school with a few of them , they also
support both parties ...heard their opinions also...

Since they have the most to lose , their ears are close to the people in power...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »

Yes they support both political parties ...I visited with some of their relatives in Federation Park a few weeks ago...and heard their opinions of the political situation in T&T ....

I visited the Sabga's also , my husband went to school with a few of them , they also

Since they have the most to lose , their ears are close to the people in power...

And you know that in the past, like the socalled parasite oligarchy, they have prospered under the PNM.

socafighter

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »

And you know that in the past, like the socalled parasite oligarchy, they have prospered under the PNM.

Come on Deeks ..

I expect better from you ,,,,to prosper it entails very hard work , long hours , often
such individuals pay a price , health wise .

I have yet to see in a democratic society free from corruption , any government helping
entrepreneurs , they will help one when its not needed ..just look at the banks  .

This individual had to sign every thing he owned to get a 500 dollars line of credit from a bank , most likely his first born son also.
I am familiar with Canadian Banks ...the biggest shysters about they are ...

His success was based on long hours and hard work , in a niche that  he excelled at .

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »
RIP Mr Aboud  :beermug:

1]; } ?>