March 28, 2024, 06:20:44 AM

Author Topic: Whats the cost to run a Pro League team?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Whats the cost to run a Pro League team?
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »
For argument sake, anyone here can give an average whats the cost to run a Pro League team?

Please cover all aspects.

Housing (if applicable), food, training, pro league entry, refreshments, preseason, CFU participation, CCL participation. salary for players and staff, youth players development, youth league teams, women teams (if applicable), medical (if applicable), etc etc...

Off course different teams have different expenditures, but I just need an average number to work with.

Some people think that the national teams alone have it tough.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:31:23 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the cost to run a Pro League team?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Good topic Flex to help us grow in our discussions. Expect contributions from FS and others. This might just help somebody make a smarter decision here and there when embarking on some well intentioned but difficult attempt to help T&T football.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »
I think FS mentioned that a 500,000 TTD bond was payable to the league in case of bankruptcy (would be paid out to the players).

From what little I've gathered over the past year, the top end wages for TT Players is between 6 and 8 thousand TT per month, with the absolute top players getting over that. Not sure for levels below that, but if we said 6k per player per month as a high-end estimate, you're looking at TTD120k a month for a squad of 20.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
Estimated salaries pm TT$:
Under 20 - 3,000 - 4,500
Experienced league player 4,000 - 6,000
Marquee player 6,000- 12,000

Add additional 1,000 - 3,000 for national team regular.

Overseas players can come in from 3,000 - 5,000

Accommodation costs around $8,000 (but you can offset this against saved salaries - usually, 1,000 per player)

Coach could cost anywhere between 5,000 - 25,000
Asst coach 4,000 - 6,000
Physio 4,000 - 6,000
Kit man 3,000 - 5,000
Manager 3,000 - 6,000

Office staff (if applicable)
Office rent (if applicable)

Transport costs are huge, medical items 2,500-4,000, food is thousands per month and even ice can run over 2,000 per month.

Match and practice balls could cost between 35,000 - 60,000 per year

Uniforms and equipment can cost as much as you want to spend, but a minimum $20,000

Youth teams and women's team can get by on $10,000- $20,000 each, (again, transport and food is the killer)

And we haven't mentioned costs of gyms, website, water/refreshments, washing detergents, insurance, signing bonus etc.

A businessman wanting a hobby could get by on TT$1.25 million, but would struggle to win more than a few games.

Otherwise, I would expect the average cost of a team to be around TT$2 million per year and a top team to exceed TT$3 million, if you include a GK coach, masseur. marketing staff etc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
I think FS mentioned that a 500,000 TTD bond was payable to the league in case of bankruptcy (would be paid out to the players).

From what little I've gathered over the past year, the top end wages for TT Players is between 6 and 8 thousand TT per month, with the absolute top players getting over that. Not sure for levels below that, but if we said 6k per player per month as a high-end estimate, you're looking at TTD120k a month for a squad of 20.

There is a bond payable in year one.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
So about how much is that per month FS?

I eh feel to add up all them dam numbers.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
So about how much is that per month FS?

I eh feel to add up all them dam numbers.

Lets say between TT$120,000 and TT$250,000 per month

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Thanks FS, so roughly 1.5 to 3 million a year.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Thanks FS, so roughly 1.5 to 3 million a year.

yea.... that's the high and low. Not to mention de franchise fee, doh know how much it is now but it use to be $400,000. But I'll say again de league is extremely poorly organize. There is no way under the present system with fixtures, venues etc you can market your team properly.   

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:31 AM »

???

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »

???

We pay around $200 per ball. We need 6 - 8 balls per match and we use additional match balls for pre match warm ups. So we buy between 20-30 match balls every 8-10 weeks (depending on fixtures). As we train up to 5 days per week (some double sessions) and require 1 ball per player, we usually buy around 20 every 8 - 10 weeks and also use the used match balls. This number is also shared with the women's, Reserve and Youth teams and filters down to the coaching schools. I gave an average figure across the year, but less would be used between now and December while there would be more frequent purchases from January - May when the Youths and womenwill play.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »

???

We pay around $200 per ball. We need 6 - 8 balls per match and we use additional match balls for pre match warm ups. So we buy between 20-30 match balls every 8-10 weeks (depending on fixtures). As we train up to 5 days per week (some double sessions) and require 1 ball per player, we usually buy around 20 every 8 - 10 weeks and also use the used match balls. This number is also shared with the women's, Reserve and Youth teams and filters down to the coaching schools. I gave an average figure across the year, but less would be used between now and December while there would be more frequent purchases from January - May when the Youths and womenwill play.

what is the ROI of investing 3 million TT in a pro league team? what would an investor expect if they reach the champions league and so forth, include transfer fees, player acquisitions and so forth?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »

???

With respect, some questions ... I appreciate the transparency provided.

Does the Pro League use a particular match ball?

What's the typical life cycle of the balls used by the Pro League squad? (I ask because purchases every 8 to 10 weeks don't necessarily mean that the balls are used for only 8 to 10 weeks, correct?) 

Does the purchasing reflect balls of lesser quality (training balls v. match balls)?

What does the club do with the balls after they are deemed not worthy for club purposes?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »

???

what is the ROI of investing 3 million TT in a pro league team? what would an investor expect if they reach the champions league and so forth, include transfer fees, player acquisitions and so forth?

There is no ROI at the moment!!! But as you know, Central carry out a lot of community events and promotions which give our sponsors branding and CSR mileage, so that is their ROI. We agree with each sponsor a programme that will provide value for money in some measure.

Long term, the true ROI would be from player sales. But to make this work efficiently, you need a dedicated academy system. We have made inroads into achieving this but we still are only 50% of the way in achieving the required funding. This route requires maybe a 4-5 year turnaround from bringing a 14 year old into the academy, placing him at a European club at 16 and obtaining an EU work permit at age 18 and then achieving a sell on fee. Many will make little or no money, but if you unearth a Yorke or Kenwyne every 3 years, you can accrue perhaps as much as TT$6 million from such a sale.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »

???

With respect, some questions ... I appreciate the transparency provided.

Does the Pro League use a particular match ball?

What's the typical life cycle of the balls used by the Pro League squad? (I ask because purchases every 8 to 10 weeks don't necessarily mean that the balls are used for only 8 to 10 weeks, correct?) 

Does the purchasing reflect balls of lesser quality (training balls v. match balls)?

What does the club do with the balls after they are deemed not worthy for club purposes?

Pro league has just partnered with Joma who will be providing match balls shortly. We also receive balls from Adidas as part of our deal.

A match ball would ideally only be used for around 4 games (depending on wear and tear). Then they become training balls. Even the training balls would only be used for 4 or 5 weeks, then passed back to coaching schools and youths. It may seem fussy as you and I  would use these balls on the Savannah until they buss, but we want to provide the best equipment possible (and coaches like to make a song and dance about having decent footballs!)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »

???

There is no ROI at the moment!!! But as you know, Central carry out a lot of community events and promotions which give our sponsors branding and CSR mileage, so that is their ROI. We agree with each sponsor a programme that will provide value for money in some measure.

Long term, the true ROI would be from player sales. But to make this work efficiently, you need a dedicated academy system. We have made inroads into achieving this but we still are only 50% of the way in achieving the required funding. This route requires maybe a 4-5 year turnaround from bringing a 14 year old into the academy, placing him at a European club at 16 and obtaining an EU work permit at age 18 and then achieving a sell on fee. Many will make little or no money, but if you unearth a Yorke or Kenwyne every 3 years, you can accrue perhaps as much as TT$6 million from such a sale.

thanks for the info, what is money obtained from winning the pro league and going to the champions league? is there a deal in place to show the pro league on tv and other countries to get ad revenue?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Not sure about TV deals overseas. I believe the prize for winning is still $1 million.

But there is not financial assistance for playing in the CFU Caribbean Club Championship, however I believe you receive US$40,000 upon entering CONCACAF Champions League. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
The costs of running a club vary from club to club.

We have seen W.Connection sending teams to Italy this summer, while last year Central brought over Walsall. It really depends on want you deem important.

Our players are staying in camp at the Carlton Savannah Hotel tonight (the one that The Queen stayed in when she visited!) We wanted them to be prepared for when we travel to the CFU club championship (wherever that will be). We wanted them to get a feeling of life as a professional overseas.

Tonight, the whole squad will go to Hasely Crawford to watch the U20's.

1]; } ?>