April 27, 2024, 06:13:13 PM

Author Topic: World Record Run by T&T 4x440 yards relay team at 1966 Commonwealth Games!  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
The venue was in Kingston, Jamaica and this was arguably T&T's greatest ever 4x4 relay quartet featuring Lennox Yearwood, Kent Bernard, Edwin Roberts & Wendell Mottley!

1966 Commonwealth Games 4x440 yards relay final
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTYCGsTI56g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dTYCGsTI56g</a>

T&T clocked a world record of 3:02.8. Here is the link to official results from the 1966 Commonwealth Games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1966_British_Empire_and_Commonwealth_Games

At these games T&T placed 6th in the final medal table just behind Kenya!  :beermug:

NB: 440 yards is equivalent to 402.34 metres which is 1609.36 metres over 4 laps.
So T&T's winning time was ran over an extra 9.36 metres when compared to the modern 4x400m Relay.
Based on this my calculation is that T&T would have ran 3:01.74 for our world record if the time was measured over 1600 metres in that same historic relay race.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:54:42 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Thank you, Great vid. Big up TnT!!! :beermug: :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guys allyuh know how long that happen. Allyuh parents was just about to do Common Entrance.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It was so far in the past that not many current athletes know what caliber of 400m athletes we had, compared to the competition of the day. They need to be reminded, so that they can regain that swag, the talent's there, it's the "brass" that's missing.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Great find!

My dad was the track and field coach for those games. That was one of his favourite memories. I remember him talking about it when i was growing up in T&T. I will have to show him this video when I see him next. He will be thrilled.

Thanks  :beermug:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Great find!

My dad was the track and field coach for those games. That was one of his favourite memories. I remember him talking about it when i was growing up in T&T. I will have to show him this video when I see him next. He will be thrilled.

What's your Dad's name for the record if you don't mind us asking?
He obviously did a great job as track & field coach back then!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:55:45 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Great find!

Great find!

Azlan Khan. He was the sports master at CIC in late 60's and early 70's.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Great find!

Great find!

Azlan Khan. He was the sports master at CIC in late 60's and early 70's.
Thanks & big-up to your Dad Mr Khan for his contributions. That is good information to know!  :beermug:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile

Thanks & big-up to your Dad Mr Khan for his contributions. That is good information to know!  :beermug:

Thanks man. Dad use to tell alot of stories, I just hope that was not one of them.  I did check with mom and she confirmed it too so I hope it is accurate.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yep, seen Mr. khan a few times when QRC went to play Saints at Serpentine Rd.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Those were the days. I was in form 1 and use to tag along with him to the football matches and get to sit with the team on the sidelines.  And train with the swim team down de islands. And because of that connection, i was one of the ball boys when Santos played the national team. So i does boast that I was on the same pitch with Pele  ;D

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Those were the days. I was in form 1 and use to tag along with him to the football matches and get to sit with the team on the sidelines.  And train with the swim team down de islands. And because of that connection, i was one of the ball boys when Santos played the national team. So i does boast that I was on the same pitch with Pele   ;D

Very good claim to fame and one liner to impress the ladies and you didn't even have to make it up!  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Record Run by T&T 4x440 yards relay team at 1966 Commonwealth Games!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
I just did some calculations and decided to post this interesting information.

440 yards is equivalent to 402.34 metres which is 1609.36 metres over 4 laps in a 4 x 440 yards Relay.
So T&T's winning time was ran over an extra 9.36 metres when compared to the modern 4x400m Relay.
Based on this my calculation is that T&T would have ran 3:01.74 if their time was measured over 1600 metres rather than 4 x 440 yards in that same historic world record setting relay race.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:31:39 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>