April 29, 2024, 01:17:00 AM

Author Topic: Labib and Hannibal Najjar ...Metal-X honours its founder’s legacy Afif Najjar  (Read 1053 times)

socafighter

Labib and Hannibal Najjar Metal-X honours its founder’s legacy Afif Najjar
Monday, October 13 2014
Newsday

It was a milestone achievement as Metal-X Engineering officially launched the Afif G Najjar Fabrication and Welding Institute at its facilities in Biljah Road, Chaguanas last week.

Following a visit to Metal-X by Senator Fazal Karim, Minister of Tertiary Education and Skills Training (TEST) earlier this year, the Minister suggested honouring the founder of the company — a challenge embraced whole-heartedly by the company’s Chief Executive Officer, Labib Najjar, son of the founder and the entire Najjar family.

Speaking at the launch of the re-named facility, Karim applauded the efforts of the company to pass on knowledge and training to young people: “This is a highlight in what has been a historic journey for Afif G Najjar and today we honour his memory in the greatest way possible. This apprenticeship model is an excellent one where young people get to earn as they learn. I invite the companies across Trinidad and Tobago to follow this quintessential model of public-private partnership demonstrated by Metal-X.”

Named after the man who founded the company 55 years ago, the learning centre represents the nucleus of the “Partnering for Progress” initiative with the Youth Training and Employment Partnership Programme (YTEPP). YTEPP students benefit from a year-long training programme in structural fabricating based at Metal-X’s modern training facilities that complies with the highest industry standards set by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC).

A visibly emotional Labib Najjar expressed how monumentous the occasion was to him. “I thank everyone here for their part in helping to make this possible. This company started when my father was building his home and couldn’t find anyone to make burglar-proofing, so he undertook the task to get it done himself. Born of my father’s vision, Metal-X is where it is today as a result of the hardworking employees, past and present, as well as our patient suppliers and loyal customers and I thank you all for sharing in this moment.,” Najjar said.

“My father was a teacher in Lebanon and when he made Trinidad and Tobago his home, he remained dedicated to teaching and uplifting young people. He believed that to help them fulfill their potential was a way of building a better society and we are fulfilling his dream today,” he added.

Currently in its third year with eight students, all 18 students from the past two cohorts have successfully graduated from the Metal-X/YTEPP training programme and gained employment at organisations such as BP Trinidad and Tobago and the University of the West Indies, with half of the graduates gaining employment at Metal-X itself.

Bringing remarks on behalf of YTEPP was Chandar Gupta Supersad, Chairman of the Board of Directors, “YTEPP has enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship with Metal-X where trainees benefit from a work-to-learn model of training. On behalf of the YTEPP family, we really want to extend congratulations to the Najjar family on supporting this wonderful initiative and we look forward to collaboring with them for a long time as this programme of learning and training continues to grow and expand.”

Also sharing inspiring words at the launch function were Hannibal Najjar, who traced the history of his father’s accomplishments, and Deputy Mayor of Chaguanas, Debideen Manick. Moving the audience with a rendition of “You Raise Me Up” was Garvin Sampson, training centre manager, YTEPP Future Leaders.

For current trainee, 20-year-old Antonio Daniel, the event was inspiring, “I really want a successful career in welding and fabricating and I know that I am at the best possible place to fulfill that dream. I am gaining a wealth of knowledge from the YTEPP tutors and the employees at Metal-X. But I have also learnt from Mr Najjar that as much as I achieve, I must always give back in order to truly move forward.”
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:24:41 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

Congrats to Labib and Hannibal and the rest of the Najjar family .

I must also remember Uncle Najjar , he provided me with hours of laughter
when I visited . Metal X started in a small factory in Diego Martin decades ago.

Haven't seen Labib ( went to school with him  JDTI) for about 30 years plus.
Hannibal always had his tugs on and bouncing a soccer ball , my memory of him..

Keep the family tradition going...

Mr Socafighter

1]; } ?>