March 29, 2024, 07:57:48 AM

Author Topic: Five T&T U-20s set for Europe; but Central vows to fight agent for Levi Garcia  (Read 15477 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Five T&T U-20s set for Europe; but Central braces for tug-of-war over Levi
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Trinidad and Tobago national under-20 footballers Levi Garcia, Kadeem Corbin, Neveal Hackshaw, Jesus Perez and Kishun Seecharan were awarded European entry visas yesterday and are expected to travel to the Netherlands within the coming week en route to trials with undisclosed clubs in Europe.

The parent clubs for 18-year-old Corbin, 19-year-old Hackshaw and 19-year-old Perez agreed verbally to the valuation of the players by Dutch agent Humphry Nijman while 18-year-old Seecharan, who is registered with Defence Force, will be allowed to move on without a transfer fee.

But the football future of 16-year-old Garcia is less certain with Nijman and the teenager’s employer, Central FC, at loggerheads over a deal for the talented winger. Central has so refused Nijman’s offer for the teenaged “Soca Warrior” while the agent, for now, is not prepared to make a new one as the fight seems destined for the courts.

Garcia, who is a Form Five student at Shiva Boys Hindu College, has never represented Central in a competitive match and only joined the club in March on a two-year deal. The national under-20 player supposedly indicated his intention to quit school and turn professional with the “Couva Sharks” in July.

However, Garcia’s sparkling performances at the Under-20 Caribbean Cup tournament and an approach from Nijman and his local assistant, Dion Sosa, during the competition, changed his flight path considerably.

Sosa and Nijman were responsible for moving Sheldon Bateau, Robert Primus and the now deceased Akeem Adams to Europe where they settled at top flight clubs in Belgium, Kazakhstan and Hungary respectively.

Sosa told Wired868 their plan for the five players.

“They are going to meet with their agent (Njiman) who is based in Amsterdam,” said Sosa. “From there, they will branch off to various clubs for three week trials. We will be looking for an academy for Levi because he is under age (to turn pro as a foreigner in Europe); but we are looking at first team football for the rest.

“We are opening a door for them now and their lives can change. It can be good for them, their families and Trinidad football; because the environment they will be exposed to and the teams they will be training with they can only get better.”

However, Central FC managing director Brent Sancho, a 2006 World Cup player with Trinidad and Tobago, insists that the Sharks do not need help in developing their players or finding them foreign opportunities.

Sancho said that Central signed Yugoslav-born coach Zoran Vranes—to replace the departed Englishman Terry Fenwick—specifically because of his experience in working with youngsters. Vranes was head coach when the national under-20 team booked its place at the 2009 World Youth Cup, which was the last FIFA time that the two island republic qualified for a FIFA competition.

“One of the reasons we went for Vranes as our coach is because we saw we had good young talent coming through,” said Sancho, “and Vranes is renowned for not only developing young players but also playing them… But they are filling up the boy’s head with all kind of things.

“I have a trial lined up for Levi with Racing Genk (Belgium) and with Toronto (Canada). So it is not as if we are trying to hold him back… But the little boy doesn’t train with us anymore so obviously they turned his head and put his family against the club.”

Fellow Pro League clubs St Ann’s Rangers and North East Stars took a different view to Central with regards to Nijman’s offer.

Sancho claimed that Rangers accepted US$15,000 for Corbin, which was supposedly much less than the offer for Garcia. However, neither Rangers club chairman Fakoory nor Sosa confirmed that figure.

Fakoory told Wired868 that he did not want to stand in the way of his talented striker, who was named as the MVP of the Under-20 Caribbean Cup.

“They talked to me and made me an offer,” said Fakoory. “And since the under-20 tournament, Kadeem hasn’t showed up at practice once. So what could I do?

“Yes, I came to an agreement to send him on a trial. I had no choice but to let him go for the betterment of the club and to give him an opportunity to further himself.”

Stars coach Angus Eve was reluctant to say much on his club’s deal with Nijman, which will see Hackshaw and Perez move to Europe for trials.

“I just want the boys to get an opportunity,” Eve told Wired868. “I had experience dealing with these agents before with (Sheldon) Bateau while I was at Jabloteh, so I knew what to expect.”

But Sancho insisted that Central would not budge and he accused Nijman of underhand tactics and a contradictory approach to FIFA’s current efforts to outlaw third party ownership.

Sancho said that he is happy for Nijman to take Garcia on trial and be paid for his work in negotiating personal terms. However, he is adamant that the matter of a transfer fee must only be discussed between the buying and selling clubs while he also insisted a sell-on clause would be inserted into any agreed deal.

“I find it strange that the agents are trying to buy-out the player and I am not indulging in that kind of practice of selling a player to an agent,” said Sancho. “Their problem is that, whatever deal is happening, we want a sell-on clause just like there was for Kenwyne Jones and Khaleem Hyland and the agent said he is not doing it. They want everything for themselves.”

His stance was supported by DIRECTV W Connection president David John Williams, who pocketed well over $1 million when Kenwyne Jones moved from Southampton to Premiership club Sunderland due to a sell-on clause.

“If the player is under contract, why do you want to buy out the contract to move them?” asked Williams. “So the (Pro League) club doesn’t make any money? When they buy out the contract, they get a big signing-on bonus and they make the money or get their own clauses in the deal.”

But Sosa called Sancho’s demand ridiculous, particularly as Garcia never played a game for Central and spent less than three months training at the club

“Why should a (European) club pay, house, develop and take care of Levi and, three years down the line, be forced to give Central money for doing absolutely nothing?” asked Sosa. “That is unfair to the (new) club because they are taking all the risk… Why should (Central) get 10 percent for a player they never developed in the first place?

“We made them an offer that is way beyond the player’s market value. But Central’s demands were not reasonable and we have decided not to give into those demands.”

Sosa warned that Central could lose Garcia for nothing as the agents are set to challenge the validity of its contract with the player. Garcia’s elder brother, Daniel, accompanied the young man when he signed his professional contract with Central and not his parents.

In a previous interview with the TTFA Media, Garcia credited his brother, Daniel, for being a key motivator in his career

“He’s always there for me,” said Garcia. “If I have to go training or to a game he will get the taxi or rent a car for me to get there. He pushes me all the time to do better.”

But Sosa is certain that Daniel is no position to sign as his younger brother’s guardian.

“It is an agreement which was entered into without the consent of his parent and that by itself is illegal,” said Sosa. “No minor anywhere in the free world can enter into a contract without the written consent of his parent; and neither his mother nor his father’s names are on the contract.

“They took Daniel and had him sign as a legal guardian when both (Levi’s) parents are alive. And then they want to turn around and play wrong and strong.”

Garcia’s mother, Judith Garcia, confirmed that she did not sign an agreement with Central.

“My big son, Daniel, signed it,” she said. “I do not want to get into any confusion… But I spoke to Brent Sancho and I told him that I want Levi to go to Europe.”

Central director of operations, Kevin Harrison, acknowledged that Garcia’s parents did not sign their son’s contract but explained why he felt the Sharks still had a claim on the boy’s future.

“(Levi) brought an adult to meet us who wasn’t a minor and who understood everything (about the contract),” said Harrison. “His parents sat in our office several times after that and they never said they didn’t want him to play with us. So if they are trying to say they didn’t give us permission they would be lying.

“In fact, everything was great until Humphrey showed up… I have already told (the parents) that no matter what he promises you, Levi isn’t going anywhere until we make an arrangement with that (buying) club.”

But Sosa believes Central’s attitude can only harm the player and is ultimately counter-productive.

“Between his parents and ourselves, we are trying to sort it out in a cordial manner,” he said. “And, if not, we will do what we have to. Levi does not want to play with Central.

“These boys—all five of them—are going to a first class, professional environment for the first time, which can only help their development.”

Garcia’s present teammates at Shiva would be happy to win the Secondary Schools Football League (SSL) Premier title while his classmates are preparing themselves for CXC examinations next May.

Meanwhile, Garcia is enduring a tumultuous start to his life as a professional sportsman. It is not the sort of tug of war that most footballers are exposed to at the age of 16.

Almost certainly, Garcia’s impasse with Central has already cost him the chance of an international senior debut during next week’s Caribbean Cup qualifiers as head coach Stephen Hart was unimpressed by his decision to represent Shiva in the SSFL rather than Central in the Pro League.

Garcia will hope to make up for that in Europe; providing that Sancho and Nijman come to an agreement.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:21:18 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
... 18-year-old Seecharan, who is registered with Defence Force, will be allowed to move on without a transfer fee.

Why?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fire bun anything but a sell-on clause.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let me clarify Central F.C.'s position here.
We have been tracking both Levi and Nathanial Garcia for some time. They clearly are exceptional talents. This is what professional clubs are supposed to do: identify and develop young talent to enhance their squad and/or to move the players on to create income.
Levi signed a contract with Central F.C. His brother, Daniel, acted as his guardian and witnessed the contract. Daniel is well known in South football and is a responsible adult. We were happy that this was done with Levi's parents blessing. At no point in the last 6 months has Levi's parents in any way contested this contract. We have met with both parents on several occasions and had (until Mr Sosa became Levi's agent) a very cordial relationship. They have had several meetings in our office to discuss both Levi and Nathanial's careers.

Mr Sosa has stated: “It is an agreement which was entered into without the consent of his parent and that by itself is illegal,” said Sosa. “No minor anywhere in the free world can enter into a contract without the written consent of his parent; and neither his mother nor his father’s names are on the contract.

“They took Daniel and had him sign as a legal guardian when both (Levi’s) parents are alive. And then they want to turn around and play wrong and strong.”

This is clearly not the case. If Levi's parents were so against this, why were they happy for Nathanial to join us?

Meanwhile, Mr Sosa wants to sign these young players to a third party, a practice that is already frowned upon in world football and will be banned by FIFA in the next 3 - 4 years (see below)

Mr Sosa did attempt to negotiate to buy out Levi's contract. He offered US$40,000. I find this strange considering he believes the contract is illegal. We told him we would agree to sell Levi if he wishes to join a club overseas, but we would negotiate directly with the club, as is our right. Any international transfer has to have both clubs commitment and is completed via the FIFA TMS system. Our main financial interest, as with the recent sale of Rundell Winchester, is not an upfront fee, but a sell on clause. Worryingly, Mr Sosa said that European clubs won't agree to sell on fees, yet we had just agreed one!

Mr Sosa is a football agent and his role is to look after a player's interests. If the player is a free agent, he may approach clubs to arrange a deal. But he is well aware that a contracted player cannot be transferred without the permission of the club that holds his registration. That is the fact and everything else is just smoke and mirrors to make Central F.C. appear to be the bad guys. I am confident that Central F.C. will have the backing of TT Pro League, TTFA, CFU, CONCACAF & FIFA. Even if this case goes to a FIFA tribunal, Central F.C. will receive a fee. My concern in all of this is Levi. He will be dragged all over the place with this and it will be unsettling for him. I really hope it does not set his career back. Already we have seen him return to school football against the rules of his contract and this has also caused him a possible place in the Men's National Team squad (although I don't believe he would have made the final squad, I do believe Hart has Levi in his future plans). I cannot see how Mr Sosa can believe that a brute force snatch and grab approach can help Levi's career. The only reason I can see for this is $$$$ and plenty of them, which will be lost to T&T football.

Fifa has agreed to ban the third-party ownership (TPO) of players.
BBC Sport 26th September 2014

Already banned in Britain, TPO is common in Europe and South America, where investment companies take a stake in the economic rights of players.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said there will be a "transitional period" before the ban comes into effect.

Manchester City's £32m purchase of Eliaquim Mangala from Porto was one of four major deals that went through in England this past summer involving TPO.

English clubs who wish to buy players co-owned by an investor and a team are already required to buy out the contract rights from all parties retaining a financial interest.

Fifa says TPO threatens the integrity of the sport and creates conflicts of interest.

Supporters of the practice argue it allows clubs to buy players they could not otherwise afford.

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke said a working group set up to implement the ban would decide how long the transitional period would be - which could be up to four years.

The working group will submit a proposal to the next Fifa executive committee meeting in December.

"The ban cannot be implemented immediately and we are discussing the number of transfer windows we have to wait for this ban to come in," Valcke said.

"It's a matter of whether we are talking about six transfer windows, meaning three years, or eight, meaning four years, this is what we will be discussing in this working group."

Fifa's decision comes after pressure from Uefa, who want to introduce new rules to clamp down on TPO from as early as next season.

Earlier this year Uefa's general secretary Gianni Infantino warned that they would take action on the issue if Fifa failed to act.

A decision to ban the practice could have far-reaching consequences for many leagues where TPO is rife and clubs rely heavily on outside investors to assist them in purchasing players.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:22:52 AM by Football supporter »

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We have been tracking both Levi and Nathanial Garcia for some time. They clearly are exceptional talents. This is what professional clubs are supposed to do: identify and develop young talent to enhance their squad and/or to move the players on to create income.
Levi signed a contract with Central F.C. His brother, Daniel, acted as his guardian and witnessed the contract. Daniel is well known in South football and is a responsible adult. We were happy that this was done with Levi's parents blessing. At no point in the last 6 months has Levi's parents in any way contested this contract. We have met with both parents on several occasions and had (until Mr Sosa became Levi's agent) a very cordial relationship. They have had several meetings in our office to discuss both Levi and Nathanial's careers.

Mr Sosa has stated: “It is an agreement which was entered into without the consent of his parent and that by itself is illegal,” said Sosa. “No minor anywhere in the free world can enter into a contract without the written consent of his parent; and neither his mother nor his father’s names are on the contract.

This is clearly not the case. If Levi's parents were so against this, why were they happy for Nathanial to join us?

Meanwhile, Mr Sosa wants to sign these young players to a third party, a practice that is already frowned upon in world football and will be banned by FIFA in the next 3 - 4 years (see below)

Mr Sosa did attempt to negotiate to buy out Levi's contract. He offered US$40,000. I find this strange considering he believes the contract is illegal. We told him we would agree to sell Levi if he wishes to join a club overseas, but we would negotiate directly with the club, as is our right. Any international transfer has to have both clubs commitment and is completed via the FIFA TMS system. Our main financial interest, as with the recent sale of Rundell Winchester, is not an upfront fee, but a sell on clause. Worryingly, Mr Sosa said that European clubs won't agree to sell on fees, yet we had just agreed one!

Mr Sosa is a football agent and his role is to look after a player's interests. If the player is a free agent, he may approach clubs to arrange a deal. But he is well aware that a contracted player cannot be transferred without the permission of the club that holds his registration. That is the fact and everything else is just smoke and mirrors to make Central F.C. appear to be the bad guys. I am confident that Central F.C. will have the backing of TT Pro League, TTFA, CFU, CONCACAF & FIFA.

Fifa has agreed to ban the third-party ownership (TPO) of players.
BBC Sport 26th September 2014

Already banned in Britain, TPO is common in Europe and South America, where investment companies take a stake in the economic rights of players.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said there will be a "transitional period" before the ban comes into effect.

Manchester City's £32m purchase of Eliaquim Mangala from Porto was one of four major deals that went through in England this past summer involving TPO.

English clubs who wish to buy players co-owned by an investor and a team are already required to buy out the contract rights from all parties retaining a financial interest.

Fifa says TPO threatens the integrity of the sport and creates conflicts of interest.

Supporters of the practice argue it allows clubs to buy players they could not otherwise afford.

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke said a working group set up to implement the ban would decide how long the transitional period would be - which could be up to four years.

The working group will submit a proposal to the next Fifa executive committee meeting in December.

"The ban cannot be implemented immediately and we are discussing the number of transfer windows we have to wait for this ban to come in," Valcke said.

"It's a matter of whether we are talking about six transfer windows, meaning three years, or eight, meaning four years, this is what we will be discussing in this working group."

Fifa's decision comes after pressure from Uefa, who want to introduce new rules to clamp down on TPO from as early as next season.

Earlier this year Uefa's general secretary Gianni Infantino warned that they would take action on the issue if Fifa failed to act.

A decision to ban the practice could have far-reaching consequences for many leagues where TPO is rife and clubs rely heavily on outside investors to assist them in purchasing players.

Agreed.... Sosa is a smart man.

If I were in your position I would send Levi out on trials to clubs you have already lined up..such as Genk and TFC as Sancho said.

I also would suggest get on the phone with big Dennis and line up a trial with one of Everton, Swansea and Wigan where Dennis has alot of links and contacts. 2 weeks at each club. I am certain he can impress at least one and be part of their academy as he is of age. Insert a sell on clause and you are in business.

Most importantly it will prove to young players that Central FC can line up good trials and offers from some very good clubs..

Also this is a 16 year old kid, his head was turned. I hope nobody holds a grudge against him and his parents etc... he is under contract. He is at the perfect age to join a foreign club in their academy..Football is a BUSINESS now... watch the big picture.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:25:31 AM by Banter Banton »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
A bunch of money hungry f00ckers and dotish players.

Sancho is right, Central FC have the rights for Levi, they rightfully sign the player why is people going under their backs to thief players.

And Levi is a f00cking idiot for making man thieve he head, I know he wants to move on, and Sancho will not stand in his way, but things must be done right and he must be grateful to Central FC to, maybe a sell on clause might be good to.

Ungrateful mudda f00ckers.

The Under 20 team will suffer now.

They better becareful, because de same man they stepping on is de same man they might need one day.

I guess, de dog came back and bite Sancho too, for Winchester and Plaza.   :rotfl:

Is who cock bigger in T&T.

One good thing about this is, we really seeing a decent bunch come along in a long time.

We need to find some good defence and goalkeeper now.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:28:09 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
On another note I am very happy for the other 4 ... Hope they enjoy it and can land contracts at decent clubs. The more players we have in Europe in a pro environment the better for T&T football but it has to be done well... I fully understand Central FC situation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
... doh let Fakoory escape scrutiny.

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Very disappointed in Central FC here....perhaps they have some moral ground to stand on, but legally, one CANNOT sign a 16 year old to any contract without his parent/guardian's permission. "Daniel is well known in south football and is a responsible adult".....Really? Is that the basis under which the contract was signed?

I could be wrong, but I do sincerely believe that Central would have been better for the player for his development both as a player and as a person, but Central ought to have been more professional and legally aware than this.

I don't know Mr Sosa well enough to say whether or not he's a smart man. But unless some middle ground could be arrived at between the two parties, Central will not profit in any way.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
... doh let Fakoory escape scrutiny.

:beermug:

That man yes.. Rangers are a joke, they have no business plan..I am shocked they are operational.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I could be wrong.

But you cannot sign a 16 year old player and school student to a professional contract.

Levi Garcia might be a free agent. Central FC cannot stop him, this will not hold up in court.

I just hope, both can benefit though, cause Central FC came forward and help out the youth and he should show some gratitude.

His brother is still with the club, he has to consider that Central came in when T&TEC folded.

On another note, we need to widen our scouting program, a lot of talent in South.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Coach Stephen Hart has named his 20 man squad .....an interesting  looking team ... check the squad list on  de trini football federation site.!!

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
In good faith i do hope all the parties involved  will reach an amicable solution as it can only be of benefit to all ....... i do believe central f.c has its  players interest at heart .. !!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
I could be wrong.

But you cannot sign a 16 year old player and school student to a professional contract.

Levi Garcia might be a free agent. Central FC cannot stop him, this will not hold up in court.

I just hope, both can benefit though, cause Central FC came forward and help out the youth and he should show some gratitude.

His brother is still with the club, he has to consider that Central came in when T&TEC folded.

On another note, we need to widen our scouting program, a lot of talent in South.

So all these academies around the world who spending thousands of $ on kids just winging it and hoping players stay faithful when they get good?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Very disappointed in Central FC here....perhaps they have some moral ground to stand on, but legally, one CANNOT sign a 16 year old to any contract without his parent/guardian's permission. "Daniel is well known in south football and is a responsible adult".....Really? Is that the basis under which the contract was signed?

I could be wrong, but I do sincerely believe that Central would have been better for the player for his development both as a player and as a person, but Central ought to have been more professional and legally aware than this.

I don't know Mr Sosa well enough to say whether or not he's a smart man. But unless some middle ground could be arrived at between the two parties, Central will not profit in any way.

Actually, a 16 year old can be signed to a professional contract providing you also obtain the signature of a parent or guardian. Daniel was designated by his parents because they felt that he would understand the contract better. A club cannot tell a parent that their chosen family member cannot represent the player. Also, if they were unhappy, they had since March to raise any objections. Don't hurt yuh head, Central will not lose out!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
... 18-year-old Seecharan, who is registered with Defence Force, will be allowed to move on without a transfer fee.

Why?

Probably because of the particular situation that is Defense Force... a public/quasi-public entity and not a true professional, for profit organization.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Mr Sosa is a football agent and his role is to look after a player's interests. If the player is a free agent, he may approach clubs to arrange a deal. But he is well aware that a contracted player cannot be transferred without the permission of the club that holds his registration. That is the fact and everything else is just smoke and mirrors to make Central F.C. appear to be the bad guys. I am confident that Central F.C. will have the backing of TT Pro League, TTFA, CFU, CONCACAF & FIFA. Even if this case goes to a FIFA tribunal, Central F.C. will receive a fee. My concern in all of this is Levi. He will be dragged all over the place with this and it will be unsettling for him. I really hope it does not set his career back. Already we have seen him return to school football against the rules of his contract and this has also caused him a possible place in the Men's National Team squad (although I don't believe he would have made the final squad, I do believe Hart has Levi in his future plans). I cannot see how Mr Sosa can believe that a brute force snatch and grab approach can help Levi's career. The only reason I can see for this is $$$$ and plenty of them, which will be lost to T&T football.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.  I don't know who Central has advising them on their legal dealings, but Sosa is entirely correct.  Daniel cannot "act" as Guardian for Levi, not when his natural parents are still alive and possessing the capacity to fulfill their responsibilities to him.  I don't know, as Sosa alleges, that Central went and "get" Daniel to sign stuff, but the first question Central should have asked is "where are his parents" and why aren't they here to sign for Levi.  Your concern in all of this might be Levi, but clearly he's not Central's concern... otherwise Central wouldn't be holding out for more money.  How does that benefit Levi?  Right, it only benefits Central F.C.  I can't say that I disagree with Central's stance, but I can tell you that I don't see how your organization would have any legs to stand on.  The contract isn't illegal, it is per se invalid and Central will rue having rejected the $40,000 USD offer.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Why?

Probably because of the particular situation that is Defense Force... a public/quasi-public entity and not a true professional, for profit organization.

My longstanding view is that DF should reap from the seeds they've sown ...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Truth is often stranger than fiction.  I don't know who Central has advising them on their legal dealings, but Sosa is entirely correct.  Daniel cannot "act" as Guardian for Levi, not when his natural parents are still alive and possessing the capacity to fulfill their responsibilities to him.  I don't know, as Sosa alleges, that Central went and "get" Daniel to sign stuff, but the first question Central should have asked is "where are his parents" and why aren't they here to sign for Levi.  Your concern in all of this might be Levi, but clearly he's not Central's concern... otherwise Central wouldn't be holding out for more money.  How does that benefit Levi?  Right, it only benefits Central F.C.  I can't say that I disagree with Central's stance, but I can tell you that I don't see how your organization would have any legs to stand on.  The contract isn't illegal, it is per se invalid and Central will rue having rejected the $40,000 USD offer.

I have no doubt that the legitimacy of any contract may be challenged. In this case, Levi's parents elected for Daniel to attend the contract talks and act on their behalf. It may be the case that Pro League contracts are not water tight and may need a clause inserted stating something like "I have full authority of .... to witness this contract etc" Central have used the same system that has been used within the league for years. This may be the "Bosman" moment in T&T football that causes sea changes in player contracts. The questions that Bakes asked, were asked. In fact, I do believe that when we spoke to Levi's parents to set up the meeting, we were told that Daniel would be attending to represent them. I can see no moral wrong taking place here, but, as Bakes has pointed out, there may be a technicality that can be challenged.
Meanwhile, Sosa, who had the option to sign up Levi last March too, but clearly could not recognise talent, was not anywhere near the meeting, so how he can make such fanciful statements is beyond me.

Criticising Central for wanting to retain or benefit financially from talented players is ridiculous. This is how every club in the world works. You may as well say Central shouldn't use leather footballs! Every club searches for young talent to profit either by his talent or his resale value. There is nothing dastardly in Central's position. Alternatively, is it your view that Sosa is only concerned about Levi's contract because it may not be 100% legally watertight? Levi, and his brother Nathanial for that matter, have been perfectly happy at Central F.C. until Sosa came along. Or is it that Sosa is looking for a loophole to allow him to own Levi and personally profit? Are you seriously saying that Levi isn't "Central's concern... otherwise Central wouldn't be holding out for more money.  How does that benefit Levi?" Yet Sosa is doing all of this without any interest in making money? The man had no connection with Levi until 3 weeks ago and now he's Levi's best friend and protector and Central is the wicked witch?

I understand that you don't disagree with our stance and that you feel that the contract could be the cause of our problems, and I agree with you. But I can say that US$40,000 will not be missed. It's not even a months running costs. What is being missed is Levi's talent. He was going to be a key player in our first team, because he is that good. And what also would be missed is the potential multi million $$ that Central believed they would receive from a sell on fee. That is our pot of gold. No T&T club has received a huge transfer fee. We all know that won't happen. So players move for free or for a token sum, but a sell on fee is inserted (like with Kenwyne Jones). This is a standard practice. We told Sosa that the sell on fee was the most important element if Levi found a club. He said that sell on fees don't exist, which is totally untrue. We also said we would be happy to deal with a club directly, but again, Sosa refused. He said we had to sell Levi to him for US$40,000 or he would just take the player. No club should do business on those terms.  And it won't just be Central that lose out if Sosa wins this battle. FIFA have a player passport system so that clubs like Siparia Spurs, Levi's previous club, would receive a percentage of any transfer fee. That does not apply if an agent is a third party owner, another reason why TPO will be banned by 2018.     
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:11:15 PM by Football supporter »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Why?

I believe if he was in the DF, they could get compensation. He is not a soldier as far as I know. He just play for their affiliated community youth club. Correct me!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And Levi is a f00cking idiot for making man thieve he head

Geez, Sam, I know how you feeling, but give the kid a pass nah man. he is only 16. Tell which 16 yr old who would not be bamboozled in a situation like this. It have older and much more mature men who do worse than him. He is at the same age as Dwight, when Dwight was  in school.
I sorry he get caught in this contractual triangle. But potential footballers in particular have to get their thinking cap on when they are in demand by local and foreign clubs. I particularly feel for some of the parents who have little knowledge of the  legal implications when they sign or give verbal agreements for their sons to go abroad to a club.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Are you this whiny in person FS?  Geez...

1. Since you're quoting me, I'll assume you're responding to me: 
-I never accused Central of any "moral wrong." 
-I never criticised Central "for wanting to retain or benefit financially from talented players."
-I never accused them of anything "dastardly."
-Not only did I not "disagree" with Central's stance, I offered no personal opinion on Central's stance... save for the legal merits (or lack thereof) as I see them.

2. Are you seriously saying that Levi isn't "Central's concern... otherwise Central wouldn't be holding out for more money.  How does that benefit Levi?"

Yes, I'm seriously saying that the sincerity of your concern for Levi personally... is a bit difficult to believe.  You pretty much validate the skepticism with the following comment:

What is being missed is Levi's talent. He was going to be a key player in our first team, because he is that good. And what also would be missed is the potential multi million $$ that Central believed they would receive from a sell on fee. That is our pot of gold. No T&T club has received a huge transfer fee.

Your 'concern' in all of this is that you see Jack attempting to abscond down the Beanstalk with your Golden Goose tucked neatly under his arm.  Nothing wrong with that, just don't try and pass it off as concern for the kid.

3. You've gone from expressing utter confidence that Central would prevail in any dispute, to whistling in the wind, talking about challenges to the legitimacy of any contract; describing what I say as a "technicality"; that the contract could be the cause of your concerns. Look, you don't have to accept anything I have to say, Central needs to hire its own counsel anyways. Maybe when s/he says it to Sancho then you'll accept it.  Just be happy that the $40,000 wouldn't be missed.  :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Are you this whiny in person FS?  Geez...

1. Since you're quoting me, I'll assume you're responding to me: 
-I never accused Central of any "moral wrong." 
-I never criticised Central "for wanting to retain or benefit financially from talented players."
-I never accused them of anything "dastardly."
-Not only did I not "disagree" with Central's stance, I offered no personal opinion on Central's stance... save for the legal merits (or lack thereof) as I see them.

2. Are you seriously saying that Levi isn't "Central's concern... otherwise Central wouldn't be holding out for more money.  How does that benefit Levi?"

Yes, I'm seriously saying that the sincerity of your concern for Levi personally... is a bit difficult to believe.  You pretty much validate the skepticism with the following comment:

What is being missed is Levi's talent. He was going to be a key player in our first team, because he is that good. And what also would be missed is the potential multi million $$ that Central believed they would receive from a sell on fee. That is our pot of gold. No T&T club has received a huge transfer fee.

Your 'concern' in all of this is that you see Jack attempting to abscond down the Beanstalk with your Golden Goose tucked neatly under his arm.  Nothing wrong with that, just don't try and pass it off as concern for the kid.

3. You've gone from expressing utter confidence that Central would prevail in any dispute, to whistling in the wind, talking about challenges to the legitimacy of any contract; describing what I say as a "technicality"; that the contract could be the cause of your concerns. Look, you don't have to accept anything I have to say, Central needs to hire its own counsel anyways. Maybe when s/he says it to Sancho then you'll accept it.  Just be happy that the $40,000 wouldn't be missed.  :beermug:

Thanks for your comments, but if you check again, I didn't accuse you of anything, however, I did make reference to your comments as I understood them. My point about this being Central's concern was to highlight the concept that the agent who has represented Levi for 3 weeks has no more concern for Levi than Central. If we are looking at this purely as a cold blooded financial transaction, then Central certainly have more concern for the player than the agent. It's worth noting that Central had no plans to transfer Levi until at least next Summer, unless an offer came along that Levi wanted to accept.

Your example of Jack and the Beanstalk is pretty much spot on (except I'm sure you didn't mean that Central is a sleeping giant (a sleeping dwarf-perhaps!!)

I am very confident that Central will prevail, but I wanted to acknowledge that your highlighting of certain legal technicalities are noted (and should be adopted in the future,)

And, for the record, Levi is a nice lad and I can state quite openly that myself, Brent and the other CFC staff do have concerns about what could go wrong for the boy. Many youngsters have become homesick and returned home (including Levi's brother). I have first hand experience of players being stranded and abandoned overseas, so does Brent because it actually happened to him. Finally, a young players mind can easily be distracted from football. Sending him on trial with this bacchanal is not the best preparation. You could say that we are contributing to this unsettling, but remember, as far as we are concerned, we are the party that has been wronged and we will fight our corner. Plenty of agents work in the system without encouraging players to breach their contracts. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How could one 'breach' a non-existent contract?  I'm not trying to beat up on your organization but you guys went about it wrong, about to seemingly get burned, and now you're crying foul.  I for one don't believe Sosa is doing any of this out of the goodness of his heart, or concern for Levi's personal well-being, so not even sure why there's this comparative assessment of who has the kid's best interest at heart.  That's an argument you need to be making to his parents.  It seems as though your trust in them has been misplaced... that's life.  Central will just have to learn from this and move on.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How could one 'breach' a non-existent contract?  I'm not trying to beat up on your organization but you guys went about it wrong, about to seemingly get burned, and now you're crying foul.  I for one don't believe Sosa is doing any of this out of the goodness of his heart, or concern for Levi's personal well-being, so not even sure why there's this comparative assessment of who has the kid's best interest at heart.  That's an argument you need to be making to his parents.  It seems as though your trust in them has been misplaced... that's life.  Central will just have to learn from this and move on.

The contract certainly exists. As mentioned, it was signed by both Levi and his parents elected representative/guardian/family representative (call him what you will). The contract has been in existence for 6 months and the player has received the stipulated salary.
I can find no FIFA rule stating that we should do anything different.

FIFA does state:

Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised. (Article 18)

International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18.
The following three exceptions to this rule apply:
a) The player’s parents move to the country in which the new club is located for reasons not linked to football;
b) The transfer takes place within the territory of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) and the player is aged between 16 and 18.
c) The player lives no further than 50km from a national border and the club with which the player wishes to be registered in the neighbouring association is also within 50km of that border. The maximum distance between the player’s domicile and the club’s headquarters shall be 100km. In such cases, the player must continue to live at home and the two associations concerned must give their explicit consent. (Article 19)

How, exactly did we go about this wrong? We can't force the parents to attend meetings instead of their elected representative. What if the parents were illiterate? Then we would be accused of taking advantage. Levi's parents sent their eldest son to represent their interests. I really can't see the issue other than Sosa trying to find some kind of fantasy to terminate the contract.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Right, well how can my experience and expertise compete with your internet lawyering?  None so blind as those who will not see  :beermug:

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I fully support Central Fc on this one.

Football is a business.

Why didnt any other club, or Mr Sosa himself see it fit to sign the player before Central? Surely he was good then also.

This is a very dangerous precedence that could be set here, as agents could just come in and coax players into walking out on their contracts.

And who the hell is advising these u20 guys? SSFL really? they should be looking to strike the iron while its hot. Get a few Pro League games in and look to move somewhere in January. And FS is totally right. Some of these guys have no interest in academics. They hardly need to train to play.

While other 16 year olds are grinding and some will make it with half the talent as these guys down here.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Right, well how can my experience and expertise compete with your internet lawyering?  None so blind as those who will not see  :beermug:

Bakes, I'm not challenging your legal knowledge. But a contract does exist. The content of the contract is exactly the same as every other player. The problem, if I understand your point, is that the contract may not be legal because Daniel Garcia is not a court appointed guardian?
Ok, that may be the point of law. However, am I right in saying that points of law can be challenged? Isn't this how new laws are made or old ones refined?

I believe we acted with the full consent of the Garcia family. I feel that we can prove this. The question is, can such a defence stand up in court? There may be thousands of similar "non -existent" contracts world wide that could be challenged if this is allowed to happen here. There are many scenarios where parents cannot afford to appoint a legal guardian so they sign a contract that they don't understand.

I understand the need to protect the minor, but in some instances, this point of law could have the opposite effect.

We believed we were acting correctly, and perhaps we may find that we were wrong legally, but Mr Sosa cannot be allowed to act against the spirit of the various rules and regulations without being contested because of any naivety on the part of the family or club.

And, yes, I understand that saying that "it's not fair" is not a credible defence.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Garcia has big football dreams.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA)

Garcia comes from a family of three brothers and two sisters and credits his 26 year old brother Daniel for pushing him to success.

I now reading this part... this makes it even harder to justify.  Daniel barely mature enough to be making such a big decision... even if he might be more sophisticated than his parents.  And yes, even in Trinidad, especially if the parents are alive he'd have to be court-appointed.  Of course Central could challenge whatever allyuh like, doesn't mean it will get anywhere.  That same $40,000 USD yuh scoffing at allyuh might end up spending that in legal fees and see no end-product in return.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The parents are still in a positon to assist the outcome ... might be the best way to proceed.

1]; } ?>