March 28, 2024, 08:22:46 AM

Author Topic: Tourism Thread  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 60 days in Tobago... The ideal tourist destination...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:01:53 AM »
saw the call for entrants about a year ago and was excited to see this come off.

Great idea, poorly executed.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: 60 days in Tobago... The ideal tourist destination...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
saw the call for entrants about a year ago and was excited to see this come off.

Great idea, poorly executed.

agreed breds :beermug:

great idea but they could have done it far better... combining a trini with a outgoing n.american girl would have made it a lot more interesting...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tourism Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 01:37:43 AM »
Moves to market Tobago as a premier travel destination
T&T Newsday

MARKETING Tobago as a premier travel destination for international travellers was the focus of recent discussions between Tourism Minister Shamfa Cudjoe and executives of British Airways Holidays (BAH). The meeting was arranged by John Jefferies, managing director of Coco Reef Resort and Spa.

British Airways Holidays provides an entire combined holiday package to the island from booking a British Airways flight to hotel accommodation and transportation.

The Ministry of Tourism said in a statement to the media that British Airways Holidays destination executive Rikki Partridge and its destination manager David Weatherson discussed improved travel to Tobago.

Weatherson said Tobago is one of their travellers’ top five chosen destinations in the Caribbean.

Cudjoe said, “Marketing and educational awareness is paramount to making tourism an important driver of diversification for our economy.” She said this would be done by improving the tourism product and by positioning Tobago as a preferred leisure destination.

Achieving this, she explained, would involve continued collaboration with the Tobago House of Assembly’s Division of Tourism, Culture and Transportation, Tobago hoteliers and stakeholders, and the development of a strategic marketing approach in a customer- oriented environment.

Cudjoe also informed the company about the proposed “re-tooling and re-engineering” of the national tourism strategy; one entity specific to Tobago, the other to Trinidad.

She said this approach will enable each island to be marketed according to their differing target markets.

“Tobago is a fertile and fresh travel market with relatively cheap rates compared to other Caribbean islands,” Weatherson said. “A boost in the promotion of the island will greatly position Tobago in the minds of the UK traveller.” The company has over 5,000 booked rooms so far for 2017, compared to 2016 which ended the year with 7,500 booked rooms. Partridge said Tobago has been showing continuous double-digit growth for British Airways Holidays in spite of the devaluation of the British Pound since June last year.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Moves to market Tobago as a premier travel destination
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 06:19:30 AM »
Here we go again for the umpteem, friggin time.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »
Tobago and Tourism
- go after the wrong market
- still can't decide what their product is
- don't have the infrastructure to appeal to customers/ and compete with established destinations
- continuous use of old methods of advertising/selling Tobago
- even when they try to go modern in their approach they fail (so much to discuss there)
- those who service the industry are under-trained

We spend HUGE money on print ads in magazines.. why? People are not as influenced by magazines any longer.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:07:13 AM »
TBH the people who in charge real dense, plus they have no idea what gets kids and families to the premier destinations..

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
add... Trinbagonians to facking nasty. from cedros, to toco to matelot.. is blasted garbage EVERYWHERE! Rubbish truck running 3 times a week.. bins on the beach and still! Even when they take garbage bags.. they full it and leave it untied on the beach. There's the need for the tourism ministry to hire constant cleaners for the beaches. Don't even speak about parking, bathrooms and general/basic infrastructure.

hard tuh find ah lil spot for ah selfie.. rubbish and pothongs in yuh pics normal normal

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 12:22:19 AM »
TT don't want tourists tbh

That would mean more intl attention on the corruption of the govt and what's going on

They want to keep that under wraps and away from the intl community

Next thing tourists getting killed and kidnapped, robbed and raped left right and centre and it brings unwanted criticism to the police and govt

Keep the nation corrupt, more control and manipulation that way, less accountability and progress, less time for people to focus on what the govt is not doing and should be doing
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 12:24:30 AM by Controversial »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
The magical island where you can swim with bioluminescent plankton
By Oliver Cable, The Telegraph

The twinkling lights of Scarborough now hidden behind the hills, we are guided solely by a thousand stars above and the torch on Brett’s paddleboard ahead. We’ve been paddling the kayaks for about 20 minutes, and now beach up on No Man’s Land. Right now, it’s a sandbank, but it’s so-called because it’s so frequently underwater that construction is forbidden.

The sand is thick, and it swallows up your toes. We haul the kayaks over the sandbank and enter Bon Accord Lagoon. If you look closely when your hands touch the water, you can see tiny points of light darting from them, so small they could be the reflections of stars on the waves.

Brett shines his torch over the surface, and suddenly it’s alive with a hundred bats flying low, hoping for dinner. The silhouettes of the see-saw paddles rise and fall, there’s the sound of blades entering still water and the occasional hollow thud of fibreglass. Besides that, there’s nothing. The lagoon is flanked on three sides by mangroves, forming little sheltered bays into which Brett directs us.

“Now put your hands in the water,” he says, and as we do, there are gasps as it lights up in tiny sparks. They emanate from fingers outwards, like sparklers, every move accompanied by underwater meteors. The stars above our heads are suddenly outnumbered by those beneath the surface.

“Now climb in,” comes Brett’s voice. “Swim far away from anyone else.”

And suddenly I’m a plasma ball, shooting photons from every part of my body, tiny glow-worms emanating from my skin, again and again and again, every time I move. It’s like I’m on some drug enabling me to see my energy overlap into that of Mother Nature. Superlatives don’t do the trick any more: it’s magical, fantastical, outrageous – I can’t take my eyes off the starry movement of my own body. I am all-powerful, I am a creator, I am swimming through the depths of the universe, the constellations constantly shifting, dancing, evolving, lighting up, burning out and then being reborn through my movement.

I’m out of breath from exhilaration when I finally re-enter the kayak. I lean back, watching the stars, the slow-burn bioluminescence of the skies, and gently, gently start paddling back to No Man’s Land. Brett picks up sea urchins, a sea cucumber, points out lobster, shrimp and starfish lurking among the turtle grass, then shines his light on foot-long fish with needlepoint noses that dart and jump ahead of us.

Back at the surf shack, we pull the kayaks up the beach and Brett gives six of us a ride in the back of his pickup. We’re crouched down, clutching on to whatever we can, as he ferries us off the beach and back to civilisation. At the Crown Point junction, we jump ship, our feet still sandy, our minds still spinning, and with soca music from the island’s bar strip reaching our ears.

See the original article here.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
That is probably the prettiest geographical picture I have ever seen.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tourism Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 03:09:54 PM »
Billion-dollar boost for T&T tourism
T&T Guardian Reports
By ROBERTO CODALLO.

T&Ts tourism in­fra­struc­ture is set to get a bil­lion-dol­lar boost.

“CAF—De­vel­op­ment Bank of Latin Amer­i­ca—ap­proved a US$200 mil­lion loan to sup­port T&T’s man­age­ment, plan­ning and in­vest­ment of tourism in­fra­struc­ture through bet­ter in­sti­tu­tion­al and reg­u­la­to­ry frame­works,” a re­lease from the CAF stat­ed yes­ter­day.

“These funds will be man­aged by the Min­istry of Fi­nance and will sup­port dif­fer­ent on­go­ing in­sti­tu­tion­al ini­tia­tives, such as the up­grade of the Na­tion­al Tourism Pol­i­cy; the strate­gic plan for the Trinidad and To­ba­go’s Air­ports Au­thor­i­ty; the de­vel­op­ment of a Na­tion­al Mar­itime Pol­i­cy and Strat­e­gy; the analy­sis to de­vel­op ports and lo­gis­tics hub in the coun­try, specif­i­cal­ly in Port-of-Spain; and the de­vel­op­ment and in­te­gra­tion of the Port Com­mu­ni­ty Sys­tem (PCS) in the ports’ lo­gis­tic chain,” the re­lease stat­ed.

Ad­di­tion­al­ly, the loan in­cludes ac­tions to im­prove oth­er tourism in­fra­struc­ture linked to beach­es, air­ports, con­nec­tiv­i­ty be­tween is­lands and ac­cess to sec­tors that are at­trac­tive to vis­i­tors.

“We are work­ing close­ly with the gov­ern­ment of T&T to sup­port the im­ple­men­ta­tion of its de­vel­op­ment plan, that pro­motes the di­ver­si­fi­ca­tion of the coun­try’s econ­o­my through bet­ter lev­els of pro­duc­tiv­i­ty, bet­ter in­fra­struc­ture, and the im­prove­ment of process­es and reg­u­la­to­ry frame­works to op­ti­mise the mar­itime and air lo­gis­tics of the coun­try, ”CAF’s ex­ec­u­tive pres­i­dent Luis Car­ran­za stat­ed.

In the last three years (2017-2019) CAF ap­proved US$800 mil­lion for T&T, which rep­re­sents an av­er­age of US$267 mil­lion per year.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tourism Thread
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »
Was home for Carnival. Nice time. But the dry river dutty with plastics and trash. Saw a couple occupants in cardboard shacks in the river. Homeless in the car park and roaming Lara promenade. Chinatown busy and lively, but dutty. If they can address these issue, then I believe they really serious. But the Avenue was pumping last Saturday night. Quite a few ladies who went to Tribe after party made themselves present in their G strings. Is a different type of TT woman.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:06:39 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:53:38 AM »
Tobago worried about impact of German restriction.
By Curtis Williams (Guardian).

The de­ci­sion to re­strict trav­ellers from Ger­many, Spain and France from en­ter­ing Trinidad and To­ba­go due to the out­break of COVID-19 (Coro­n­avirus) is like­ly to hurt tourism in To­ba­go.

Trav­ellers whose flights orig­i­nat­ed from Italy, South Ko­rea, Sin­ga­pore, Japan, Iran and Chi­na had al­ready been sub­ject to a 14-day wait af­ter leav­ing those coun­tries be­fore they are al­lowed to en­ter Trinidad and To­ba­go and on Tues­day Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley an­nounced gov­ern­ment had added the three lat­est Eu­ro­pean na­tions.

Chief Ex­ec­u­tive Of­fi­cer of the To­ba­go Tourism Agency (TTA) Louis Lewis said the is­land was par­tic­u­lar­ly con­cerned about the im­pact on vis­i­tors from Ger­many.

"Ger­many rep­re­sents 16 per­cent of our source mar­kets and there­fore it will have an im­pact." Lewis told Guardian Me­dia in an in­ter­view on Wednes­day.

TTA's CEO said he is to hold a con­fer­ence call with of­fi­cials from Con­dor Air­lines which has a week­ly flight to To­ba­go bring­ing on av­er­age 115 pas­sen­gers to the is­land.

The flight that orig­i­nates in the Deutsch­land city of Frank­furt is shared with Bar­ba­dos and is To­ba­go's on­ly di­rect flight out of main­land Eu­rope.

Lewis told Guardian Me­dia: "We do not know what this means for the flight since it is com­ing out of Ger­many. We will al­so have to talk to the peo­ple at the Air­port's Au­thor­i­ty to find out what the im­pli­ca­tions are. Re­mem­ber this an­nounce­ment was on­ly made last night so we are still try­ing to work out the im­pli­ca­tions."

He added that the flight al­so serves the Scan­di­na­vian coun­tries that con­nect through Ger­many on their way to the sis­ter isle.

Lewis said so far To­ba­go's tourism has not been hurt but the COVID-19 out­break but the is­land was ex­pect­ing the falloff to come.

Be­fore the ad­vent of the out­break To­ba­go had seen a 20 per­cent up-tick in vis­i­tors in Jan­u­ary, year on year.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »
Was home for Carnival. Nice time. But the dry river dutty with plastics and trash. Saw a couple occupants in cardboard shacks in the river. Homeless in the car park and roaming Lara promenade. Chinatown busy and lively, but dutty. If they can address these issue, then I believe they really serious. But the Avenue was pumping last Saturday night. Quite a few ladies who went to Tribe after party made themselves present in their G strings. Is a different type of TT woman.
deeks I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in trinidad, at least in recent times More so than before. I’m seriously thinking of making a move back for at least six months out of the year and i have been doing  my own private research on how to acquire land and where would be a safe flood free part of the country to settle and put down some roots.

I’ve also been following up on the political scene and has been to a few rallies both pnm and unc, been to the parliament couple of times to experience the house sittings and have been following up on the local government reform and I think it’s a good thing since it deals with all the concerns you have.

The government is proposing to give the cooperations more responsibility in fixing and dealing with thing like garbage collection, dirty water ways, unkept streets and side walks and dilapidated building, and I fully agree with the government, but I get the feeling that the opposition don’t want to cooperate with the government on passing that bill because it will help the incumbent party’s cause, so it’s all about politics.

Politics is a dirty game which could literally cripple a country, and here I thought that England was the only country where the conservatives and the labor party impede each other’s progress by stalling tactics and playing hard ball in parliament. trinidad too has also joined the dirty politics gimmicks club.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
deeks I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in trinidad, at least in recent times More so than before. I’m seriously thinking of making a move back for at least six months out of the year and i have been doing  my own private research on how to acquire land and where would be a safe flood free part of the country to settle and put down some roots.

I’ve also been following up on the political scene and has been to a few rallies both pnm and unc, been to the parliament couple of times to experience the house sittings and have been following up on the local government reform and I think it’s a good thing since it deals with all the concerns you have.

The government is proposing to give the cooperations more responsibility in fixing and dealing with thing like garbage collection, dirty water ways, unkept streets and side walks and dilapidated building, and I fully agree with the government, but I get the feeling that the opposition don’t want to cooperate with the government on passing that bill because it will help the incumbent party’s cause, so it’s all about politics.

Politics is a dirty game which could literally cripple a country, and here I thought that England was the only country where the conservatives and the labor party impede each other’s progress by stalling tactics and playing hard ball in parliament. trinidad too has also joined the dirty politics gimmicks club.

Well, Breds, if you still have, energy, stamina and determination, go for it. I know the forum support you, if that is what you want. Good Luck. Blessings.

1]; } ?>