March 28, 2024, 04:15:15 PM

Author Topic: Randy Waldrum Thread  (Read 21606 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One slap via Twitter begets a slap via The Express? Yuh live by the sword yuh die by the sword?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Waldrum son should be on this coaching staff.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So the Rockets rebound I backing Clippers biggest Cinderella story since Cinderella.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Madness.
and in this pappyshow land everything is a pappyshow
watch how the dishonorable MoS go try to push one of his boys there

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
and in this pappyshow land everything is a pappyshow
watch how the dishonorable MoS go try to push one of his boys there

Yuh doh hand people big stone to pelt yuh with... unless yuh name is Raymond Tim Kee I guess.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Randy Waldrum Thread
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 04:44:12 AM »
Waldrum back with Women Warriors.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

US-born coach Randy Waldrum had his fourth session with the Women Soca Warriors at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, yesterday since returning to T&T on Thursday last ahead of their Group Two Caribbean Football Union Women’s Olympic Qualifiers and Final Round series next month.

The Women Soca Warriors were due to host Group Two qualifiers against  St Lucia, Antigua & Barbuda and Cayman Islands, however, the latter two have pulled out, leaving T&T and St Lucia to contest a two-leg playoff series on November 13 and 15, to be played here in T&T.

The winner of the T&T/St Lucia tie will then qualify to the four-team CFU playoffs for which Puerto Rico, Jamaica and Guyana.

At the end of that four-team tournament, which is also set for T&T from November 18-20, the top three teams will advance to the eight-team Concacaf final round event from February 10-21 in Houston, USA next year, from which the top two finishers will qualify for the 2016 Women’s Olympic Football Tournament, August 3-20,

Waldrum, who coaches the Houston Dash in the US Women’s Professional League was last in charge of the women's team which came within a win of appearing at a first ever FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada earlier this year, but fell at the last hurdle, 1-0 on aggregate to Ecuador in a continental playoff.

During his absence, the Women Soca Warriors who competed at the Pan American Games under coach Ross Russell who has since been appointed coach of Pro League champions Central FC have been under the supervision of assistant coach, Anthony Creece, a former national Olympic team midfielder and USA-based women’s coach,

During the preliminary Group One series, Puerto Rico earned nine points from three games, Haiti six , Grenada three and Aruba nil.

Puerto Rico blasted Grenada 12-0; Aruba 9-0 and edged Haiti 3-2. Haiti hammered Aruba 14-0 and Grenada 13-0 in their other matches, while Grenada blanked Aruba 2-0

In Group Three, Jamaica gained six points from two games, trouncing Dominican Republic 6-0 and Dominica 12-0 while in the other match, Dominican Republic clobbered Dominica 11-0.

And in Group Four, Guyana and Cuba ended up with four points each after they both swept aside St Kitts/Nevis (8-0) and (6-0) respectively, but Guyana had a better goal-difference than Cuba hence they advance to the final round while St Kitts/Nevis ended without a point.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Randy Waldrum Thread
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 07:39:53 AM »
Any new players incorporated or merely rinse and recycle?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Not with team, Waldrum in limbo as T&T coach
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
By Jeff Kassouf (equalizersoccer.com)

When Trinidad and Tobago’s women’s national team takes the field on Friday as part of the 2016 Olympic qualification process, Randy Waldrum won’t be there.

Waldrum, who has coached Trinidad and Tobago for over a year on a voluntary basis, is back in Houston, Texas. Anthony Creece is the interim coach for Trinidad and Tobago for games against St. Lucia on Friday and Sunday — at the very least.

“To me, it just got to the point where I’m looking at it going, ‘they have to make some sort of commitment to the women’s program and make some sort of commitment to me,'” Waldrum told The Equalizer.

Recounting a long story of how he got this point, Waldrum explains that the bigger picture is the issue. Communication between the federation and the team’s coach has been irregular and unproductive, Waldrum said Friday. He was supposed to return to Trinidad to train the team in September, but that got pushed back to late October.

Waldrum went to Trinidad and faced logistical and travel issues while there due to changes within the federation. TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee fired general secretary Sheldon Phillips, but Phillips is back now — at least, for now — since Kee fired him without authority. This all went on while Waldrum tried to train a team which never had more than eight players at a single practice, he says.

The struggles are similar to the ones highly publicized last year before World Cup qualifying. Trinidad and Tobago came agonizingly close to making the Women’s World Cup for the first time, losing an intercontinental playoff to Ecuador in stoppage time of the second leg of the series in Trinidad.

Waldrum has worked for free through what he calls “a handshake agreement” with the TTFA. He says he isn’t even asking for money, just the authority to properly implement a plan for the next four years to get Trinidad and Tobago into the 2019 World Cup.

According to Waldrum, the federation sent him a plane ticket back to Trinidad on Monday at 11 p.m. Houston time. The flight was for Tuesday morning. And the kicker? Waldrum’s last name was spelled wrong (not the first time there has been an error on the plane ticket, he says).

Seeing the issue as never-ending and the scenario as a microcosm for bigger issues, Waldrum said he wasn’t going to come without getting something in writing that he is the team’s coach and he has some authority over to implement plans for staff and players.

But as of now, things are at a standstill with the federation. Players have been texting him wondering when he will come back, he said. And Trinidad and Tobago still has to get through a series of matches just to get to the final round of Olympic qualifying in February. Qualifying will be a longshot with only two spots available from CONCACAF.

Assuming Trinidad and Tobago beats St. Lucia this weekend, Guyana, Puerto Rico and a dangerous Jamaica team await later in the month. And T&T has a pair of games against the United States in December which could end up being very ugly if things don’t improve.

“I would’ve left a long time ago last year if it weren’t for the players,” Waldrum said. He wants to see the program move forward. He knows there is enough talent there to make Trinidad and Tobago more relevant regionally and nationally. But for now, there isn’t enough organization. Waldrum hasn’t heard back from Kee in days, as of Friday morning.

“Right now, I can’t even tell you what’s going on in camp. I’ve had no input.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
Re: Not with team, Waldrum in limbo as T&T coach
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
By Jeff Kassouf (equalizersoccer.com)

When Trinidad and Tobago’s women’s national team takes the field on Friday as part of the 2016 Olympic qualification process, Randy Waldrum won’t be there.

Waldrum, who has coached Trinidad and Tobago for over a year on a voluntary basis, is back in Houston, Texas. Anthony Creece is the interim coach for Trinidad and Tobago for games against St. Lucia on Friday and Sunday — at the very least.

“To me, it just got to the point where I’m looking at it going, ‘they have to make some sort of commitment to the women’s program and make some sort of commitment to me,'” Waldrum told The Equalizer.

Recounting a long story of how he got this point, Waldrum explains that the bigger picture is the issue. Communication between the federation and the team’s coach has been irregular and unproductive, Waldrum said Friday. He was supposed to return to Trinidad to train the team in September, but that got pushed back to late October.

Waldrum went to Trinidad and faced logistical and travel issues while there due to changes within the federation. TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee fired general secretary Sheldon Phillips, but Phillips is back now — at least, for now — since Kee fired him without authority. This all went on while Waldrum tried to train a team which never had more than eight players at a single practice, he says.

The struggles are similar to the ones highly publicized last year before World Cup qualifying. Trinidad and Tobago came agonizingly close to making the Women’s World Cup for the first time, losing an intercontinental playoff to Ecuador in stoppage time of the second leg of the series in Trinidad.

Waldrum has worked for free through what he calls “a handshake agreement” with the TTFA. He says he isn’t even asking for money, just the authority to properly implement a plan for the next four years to get Trinidad and Tobago into the 2019 World Cup.

According to Waldrum, the federation sent him a plane ticket back to Trinidad on Monday at 11 p.m. Houston time. The flight was for Tuesday morning. And the kicker? Waldrum’s last name was spelled wrong (not the first time there has been an error on the plane ticket, he says).

Seeing the issue as never-ending and the scenario as a microcosm for bigger issues, Waldrum said he wasn’t going to come without getting something in writing that he is the team’s coach and he has some authority over to implement plans for staff and players.

But as of now, things are at a standstill with the federation. Players have been texting him wondering when he will come back, he said. And Trinidad and Tobago still has to get through a series of matches just to get to the final round of Olympic qualifying in February. Qualifying will be a longshot with only two spots available from CONCACAF.

Assuming Trinidad and Tobago beats St. Lucia this weekend, Guyana, Puerto Rico and a dangerous Jamaica team await later in the month. And T&T has a pair of games against the United States in December which could end up being very ugly if things don’t improve.

“I would’ve left a long time ago last year if it weren’t for the players,” Waldrum said. He wants to see the program move forward. He knows there is enough talent there to make Trinidad and Tobago more relevant regionally and nationally. But for now, there isn’t enough organization. Waldrum hasn’t heard back from Kee in days, as of Friday morning.

“Right now, I can’t even tell you what’s going on in camp. I’ve had no input.”
:rotfl:
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
Uncle Tim, you make me sick to the stomach.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
We should all sign a BIG condolence card and send it to Randy.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
Somebody need to tell Randy that Sheldon was fired and never got back his job.

Tim Kee moving like a real jackass here.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
W/Warriors coach sidelined; Waldrum wants chance to fix T&T women’s game
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team head coach Randy Waldrum must make do with following the “Women Soca Warriors” via newspaper reports and the social media, as poor communication and disorganisation within the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) left him on the sidelines.
Waldrum explained that the dismissal of TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips, who was instrumental in his hiring, had added to his uncertainty regarding the W/Warriors post. And now he wants an assurance about his job security before he returns to Trinidad.
The Texan, who coaches professional outfit Houston Dynamo, explained that he was supposed to return to Trinidad roughly three weeks ago to prepare the team for the ongoing Olympic qualifiers. But, instead, he was frustrated by intermittent communication with Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee and team manager Sharon O’Brien.
“It is the frustration of not doing things properly,” Waldrum told Wired868. “We are getting ready to play Olympic qualifiers and we are doing the same thing as the last World Cup campaign. This is no way to prepare…
“Last Sunday night, I emailed Tim Kee and said I still wasn’t being communicated with. And I said, moving forward, I need something in writing that says I will be here for the next cycle so I can prepare properly for the next World Cup.”
Waldrum, whose first national assignment in T&T came while Phillips’s father, Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips, was technical director, conceded that his new yearn for job security was at least partially linked to Phillips’ dismissal.
“I wasn’t sure if, because Sheldon (Phillips) was dismissed, Mr Tim Kee wanted to keep me on board at all,” said Waldrum, who insisted Phillips was a great asset to him here. “So I asked Tim Kee if he planed to keep me and he said ‘absolutely’ but I still wasn’t being communicated with…
“I have no way of knowing if Tim Kee would be re-elected and if a new president would come in and replace me. I have no guarantees and have been doing this voluntary.
“So, I told him it is in our best interest that I don’t come back until I have an agreement in writing.”
Tim Kee, who sacked Phillips on 20 October 2015, will stand for re-election at the TTFA AGM on 29 November 2015.
But Waldrum conceded that the Women Warriors’ problems begun long before Phillips’ unceremonious and controversial exit. And he said that the national team had resorted to training with as little as seven players due to the despondence of the players since the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games in July.
“When I got back (to Trinidad) on October 16, I found that many of the players were so frustrated with how they had been treated that they had had stopped training,” Waldrum told Wired868. “Ayanna (Russell), (Dernelle) Mascall… I had to talk Patrice Superville into coming back to the team.
“We only had about seven players coming out to training and there is no way you can prepare for Olympic qualifiers and to play the United States with seven players. So the training was very poor because of that.
“I don’t know if we can even get all the players back… But I believe I can take care of this if I get the authority to do it.”
Read more: http://wired868.com/2015/11/15/wwarriors-coach-sidelined-waldrum-wants-chance-to-fix-tt-womens-game/

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Randy just want's a contract & he should get one. The team as well as his coaching staff should know that they will be taken care of by the TTFA for the next WWC cycle. The quicker a contract gets done the quicker he gets back & semblance of order will be restored. Time to have these open aired distractions over and done with.

http://wired868.com/2015/11/15/wwarriors-coach-sidelined-waldrum-wants-chance-to-fix-tt-womens-game/

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Very very sad state of affairs and awful PR, almost like sabotage. Thanks for ability and the resolve to get info Lasana without anybody telling you what to write. Change will come .... eventually. Go Warriors!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2016, 02:53:28 AM »
Waldrum fired as T&T women coach.
T&T Newsday Reports.

RANDY WALDRUM has. been fired as coach of the Trinidad and Tobago women football. team, according to a story on the local sporting website Wired868.

Waldrum disclosed his removal as coach in a letter to the website,. in which he admitted hurt that his four-year plan for the team will not materialise.

He wrote, “I was notified (yesterday) morning by the president (of the TT Football Association David John-Williams) of his decision to not retain me moving forward. It’s very disappointing personally, as I had a four-year plan to continue the growth and development of women’s football for the next cycle building on all we accomplished during the last World Cup qualifiers.

“I have volunteered my time and was willing to continue to do. so in order to see the players get the opportunity they so dearly deserve,” he added.

“Since this decision (yesterday), I have been reflecting on some of the great strides this team made over the past year. In spite of all that was not given to us to compete and prepare properly, this group of young women showed heart and character that not many teams have.”

Waldrum led the team during their ill-fated 2015 FIFA Women’s. World Cup qualifiers - which ended with a 1-0 loss at home to Ecuador on December 2 2014, as well as last month’s friendly international against the United States. “I want to take this time to personally thank all the people of Trinidad and Tobago for your unwavering support of me and (son, and assistant coach) Ben.

We both fell in love with your country and you took us in with open arms, and for that I am so appreciative.” He also expressed his gratitude to John-Williams predecessor Raymond Tim Kee and former TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips “for the opportunity they presented me with. I think they saw the vision of where we could go with women’s football, so a sincere thank you to both.” He continued, “I want to thank the staff there in Trinidad and Tobago that I worked alongside, and to the staff here in the States that helped us in trying to reach our goals.

“To the players who have given both Ben and I a lifetime of great memories, I thank you the most.

We all went through some difficult times, but in spite of it all you guys remained committed to the dream of qualifying for a major tournament, and growing the women’s game I’m so proud of each and every one of you, and I hope you all continue to grow the game in some way there in Trinidad and Tobago.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »
Latest with Creece?
He Is Highly

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:02 AM »
Women Warriors saddened by Waldrum’s sacking.
T&T Express Reports.

Head coach of the women’s senior national football team Randy Waldrum was given his marching orders by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) Tuesday, and the decision has hit members of the “Women Warriors” particularly hard as the coach, who was a favourite among the team, parted ways with the squad.

Waldrum in his first stint with the team won the title in the first-ever Caribbean Cup, as well as taking them to the final qualification for the 2015 Women’s World Cup, culminating in a heart-breaking 1-0 defeat to Ecuador at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

The Texan returned to the fold in December to oversee the two-match series against the US Women’s team in Hawaii, and San Antonio, but did not travel with the team that played in the International Women’s Tournament in Natal, Brazil.

A couple of the players have been vocal in social media regarding the sudden exit of the coach, including Lauryn Hutchinson who shared her appreciation for the out-going coach.

“I’ve never met a man that had the capability of getting female athletes to respond the way Randy Waldrum did,” she said on Facebook. “I’ve never met a man that knew how to instill amazing structure the way Ben Waldrum did. This son and father were able to step into this programme and change the face of Women Soca Warriors forever.”

In another reaction on Facebook, Ahkeela Mollon was more philosophical. “Sometimes the best thing to do is find reasoning in any tough situation you are faced with in life.” she said.

In a TTFA media release yesterday, it was confirmed that Richard Hood would take over the national team, while warm-up matches in Costa Rica on January 25 and 27 have also been confirmed. Hood coached franchise team Boom Champions Fuego to the Women’s Premier League (WPL) title last year.

The “Women Warriors” will soon resume training, as the final stage of the Olympic Women’s Qualifiers kick-off on February 11 in the USA, where the team will take on Guatemala, then Canada on February 14, and Guyana two days later.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
It would be a shame if other players fail to make public statements akin to the statement issued by Lauryn Hutchinson, even if they have done so privately to the outgoing coach. It would be a shame, but it won't be surprising. Respect the reality, but honour the past.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »
It would be a shame if other players fail to make public statements akin to the statement issued by Lauryn Hutchinson, even if they have done so privately to the outgoing coach. It would be a shame, but it won't be surprising. Respect the reality, but honour the past.

That wouldn't happen, de locals (apart from Maylee) doh have a voice, but they always first to complain in de back ground.

How come Maylee get dumb all of a sudden?

If Tim Kee did do this, all now we woulda hear all de shit coming out.

Wardrum is a big lost, de man really help us and even get money for us, but David John will not like him because Waldrum not fraid to say it in public and DJW like to keep everything on de down low.

Hood have de worst record in the pro league with Police.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
WATCH: Maylee Attin-Johnson reacts to the dismissal of former Women’s Head Coach, Randy Waldrum.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KrdqTOcwl3M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KrdqTOcwl3M</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »
You replace a proven coach from a premier US women's collegiate institution with two NCAA titles for Notre Dame with a coach who can't even stand next to him.  This is the fear I had about John Williams.  I'd like to know the basis for his decision.  He then proceeds to install a bunch of recycled, obsolete coaches that the game has left behind as his technical committee.  Watch that technical committee go after Hart because of their xenophobia.  Smh

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
John Williams doenst know what he's doing. No clue.
Hart for president

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2016, 05:23:59 AM »
Waldrum says goodbye to Women Warriors; Texan axed by TTFA.
By Wired868.com.

The following letter to the editor was sent to Wired868 by former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team coach Randy Waldrum, who was officially relieved of his duties today by Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams:

To the fans of women’s football in Trinidad and Tobago,

It’s with deep sadness that I must report that I am no longer the coach of the Women’s Soca Warriors.

I was notified this morning by the President of his decision to not retain me moving forward. It’s very disappointing personally, as I had a four year plan to continue the growth and development of women’s football for the next cycle building on all we accomplished during the last World Cup qualifiers.

I have volunteered my time and was willing to continue to do so in order to see the players get the opportunity they so dearly deserve.

Since this decision came this morning, I have been reflecting on some of the great strides this team made over the past year. In spite of all that was not given to us to compete and prepare properly, this group of young women showed heart and character that not many teams have.

Through the CONCACAF WC qualifiers where we played an amazing game against the eventual World Champions USA, to close matches versus Costa Rica and Mexico, this team fought as hard as any team I’ve ever been associated with.

We went in with no preparation or funding compared to the Concacaf powers that have everything they need to win, and we gave them every reason to fear Trinidad and Tobago.

I am still amazed and get teary eyed when I think about the drive to Hasely Crawford only to see people lined up along the streets waving and cheering as we drove by. Then to step on the field and see 20,000 plus people in the stands was incredible for women’s football!

We played a very attractive brand, and we saw our support grow from just 3,500 people who watched us win the CFU only several months earlier. We jumped 75 places in the FIFA rankings, which was the largest jump in history for any team!

We were clearly on the right path.

I want to take this time to personally thank all the people of Trinidad and Tobago for your unwavering support of me and Ben. We both fell in love with your country and you took us in with open arms, and for that I am so appreciative.

I cannot count how many of you have written to me personally, friended me on Facebook, and reached out to me personally after that game versus Ecuador. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I also want to thank Mr Raymond Tim Kee and Sheldon Phillips for the opportunity they presented me with.  I think they saw the vision of where we could go with women’s football, so a sincere thank you to both.

Lastly and most importantly I want to thank the staff there in Trinidad and Tobago that I worked alongside, and to the staff here in the States that helped us in trying to reach our goals.

To the players who have given both Ben and I a lifetime of great memories, I thank you the most.

We all went through some difficult times, but in spite of it all you guys remained committed to the dream of qualifying for a major tournament, and growing the women’s game.

I’m so proud of each and every one of you, and I hope you all continue to grow the game in some way there in Trinidad and Tobago.

I will always be here for you, you remain deep in my heart and my thoughts, and I’ll be in Houston cheering you on from the stands as you all attempt to qualify for the Olympics in Rio. Ben will be alongside me as well, and just know that you made us very proud to be the national team coaches of the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Soca Warriors!

Women’s Soca Warriors Always,
Randy Waldrum

RELATED NEWS

TTFA axed Waldrum over slow paperwork; Hood tipped for W/Warriors post.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams confirmed this evening that the local football body decided to replace Randy Waldrum as Women’s National Senior Team head coach, due to the latter’s failure to meet a deadline for proposals for his plans with the team and the players he wanted for the Rio 2016 Olympic qualifying series.

Waldrum, who is also the head coach of US professional women’s team Houston Dash, was informed this morning, by John-Williams, that the TTFA had decided to go in another direction.

The 54-year-old Texan coach, who was popular with the national players, took charge of the “Women Soca Warriors” in mid-2014 and led the team to the inaugural 2014 Caribbean title and the 2014 CONCACAF Championship semifinals before falling to Ecuador in a two-legged play off for a Canada 2015 World Cup berth.

Waldrum had pleaded for a chance to develop the local women’s game over the next four years, leading up to the France 2019 World Cup. However, his hopes were dashed this morning.

“Mr Williams let me know this morning that he will not use me again,” Waldrum told Wired868. “So I guess I am finished. I just want to say a big thank to you all the players and fans who have supported me ever since I got there…”

Waldrum said he was disappointed by the TTFA President’s decision but not surprised. John-Williams, according to the Texan, told him that he was considering bringing in a local coach from their first conversation, just hours after his appointment on Sunday November 29.

“I wasn’t really surprised (by my dismissal) because the very first time he took office he indicated he was thinking about changing things and going to a local coach,” said Waldrum. “But he said his mind wasn’t made up yet. This was even before the (international) games in Hawaii and San Antonio…

“And I was catching wind from people back in Trinidad, since then, that he was going in that direction.

“I am disappointed because I think we made a lot of strides in the first year that I came there. And I had ideas in mind to revamp all the national programmes over the next three year cycle.”

However, John-Williams said that the decision to change the Women Warriors coach was made over the last week, due to Waldrum’s failure to submit plans for his post. The proposal was supposedly meant to encompass the team’s programme for the next four years.

“I contacted Randy Waldrum (on Saturday January 2) and I asked him for a proposal by the Monday (January 4) on (his plans as coach) and the list of players he wanted to use,” John-Williams told Wired868. “We decided that he needed more time to check the schedules before he could be sure about the availability of the players. So I gave him until Wednesday (January 6) for that since it was the more difficult of the two.

“Neither deadline was met.”

The TTFA president said he met with his Executive Committee—which comprises of vice-presidents Ewing Davis, Joanne Salazar and Allan Warner—on Wednesday and they decided to relieve Waldrum of his post. This was relayed to the national women players in a meeting that same evening.

“The decision was based on his failure to submit documentation,” said John-Williams, who is also the former president and chairman of Pro League club, DIRECTV W Connection.

John-Williams said Waldrum emailed him the requested paperwork at 12.59 am on Thursday January 7, just hours after the TTFA told the Women Warriors that they would choose a new coach.

“On January 7 at 12.59 am, he (wrote) to me,” said John-Williams. “I responded to him at 2.54 am and said: Dear Randy. Thank you for your email which I received at 1 am this morning on the 7th of January 2016.

“I am disappointed to receive it so late…”

The TTFA President informed Waldrum that he would pass his proposal on to his Executive Committee and get back to him.

But the Executive Committee, according to Williams, decided to stick to its initial position and informed Waldrum today that it felt a local coach gave the Women Warriors the best chance of qualifying for the France 2019 World Cup.

Williams suggested that finances was one consideration in the TTFA’s decision. Although Waldrum was unpaid, he preferred to prepare the team in training camps near to his home in Houston.

It was a preference the coach justified in the past by pointing to the inadequate training facilities and conditions where they were previously housed in Trinidad.

Waldrum, according to the TTFA president, also indicated that he would miss national team practice to attend the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) draft on behalf of the Houston Dash on Friday January 15.

Last November, the coach had also ruled himself out of the Caribbean stage of the Women Warriors’ Olympic qualifiers and the responsibility fell to then assistant coach Anthony Creece. And Ross Russell deputised for Waldrum at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games last July.

John-Williams said those incidents were also taken into account by the TTFA Executive Committee before its final decision.

Waldrum declined comment on his late paperwork or the various reasons given for his dismissal.

John-Williams refused to officially reveal the new Women Warriors coach. But Wired868 understands that Police FC coach Richard Hood, a former national women’s coach who led Fuego to the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL) title last year, is favoured to replace Waldrum.

Ironically, four years ago, Hood was in charge of the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team for the London 2012 Olympic qualifying series. They were eliminated in the Caribbean phase, after a 1-0 loss to the Dominican Republic.

However, his unfancied Police FC team are second in the Pro League at the moment ahead of former title winners like defending champions Central FC, W Connection and San Juan Jabloteh.

Prior to taking office, John-Williams vowed that he would not get involved in the hiring and firing of coaches but will leave such duties to the appropriately appointed TTFA committees.

The TTFA does not have a Technical Committee in place at present but John-Williams said it will officially announce the members for that committee tomorrow.

So, should John-Williams and his ExCo have waited another day or two and allowed the TTFA Technical Committee to decide who it wanted as Women Warriors coach?

“I do not think so,” said John-Williams. “I was under pressure to make a decision and I didn’t have time to wait…

“The women have to be in training. They (should) start training on Thursday (January 14) but I had wanted them to start training on Monday (January 10).”

Trinidad and Tobago opens the CONCACAF leg of its Olympic qualifying series on February 11 against Guatemala. The Women Warriors will then face Canada and Guyana on February 14 and 16 respectively.

The top two Group B nations will advance to the semifinal round with just two CONCACAF nations advancing to Rio. Group A comprises of Mexico, Costa Rica and World Cup champions and host nation, the United States.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
See Randy Waldrum's recent interview with Women's Soccer United.
He was very complimentary about his time with the Warrior Women.
Class act !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/randy-waldrum-interview/

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
See Randy Waldrum's recent interview with Women's Soccer United.
He was very complimentary about his time with the Warrior Women.
Class act !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/randy-waldrum-interview/

Thanks for posting this

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:08 PM »
Waldrum says goodbye to Women Warriors; Texan axed by TTFA.
By Wired868.com.

The following letter to the editor was sent to Wired868 by former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team coach Randy Waldrum, who was officially relieved of his duties today by Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams:

To the fans of women’s football in Trinidad and Tobago,

It’s with deep sadness that I must report that I am no longer the coach of the Women’s Soca Warriors.

I was notified this morning by the President of his decision to not retain me moving forward. It’s very disappointing personally, as I had a four year plan to continue the growth and development of women’s football for the next cycle building on all we accomplished during the last World Cup qualifiers.

I have volunteered my time and was willing to continue to do so in order to see the players get the opportunity they so dearly deserve.

Since this decision came this morning, I have been reflecting on some of the great strides this team made over the past year. In spite of all that was not given to us to compete and prepare properly, this group of young women showed heart and character that not many teams have.

Through the CONCACAF WC qualifiers where we played an amazing game against the eventual World Champions USA, to close matches versus Costa Rica and Mexico, this team fought as hard as any team I’ve ever been associated with.

We went in with no preparation or funding compared to the Concacaf powers that have everything they need to win, and we gave them every reason to fear Trinidad and Tobago.

I am still amazed and get teary eyed when I think about the drive to Hasely Crawford only to see people lined up along the streets waving and cheering as we drove by. Then to step on the field and see 20,000 plus people in the stands was incredible for women’s football!

We played a very attractive brand, and we saw our support grow from just 3,500 people who watched us win the CFU only several months earlier. We jumped 75 places in the FIFA rankings, which was the largest jump in history for any team!

We were clearly on the right path.

I want to take this time to personally thank all the people of Trinidad and Tobago for your unwavering support of me and Ben. We both fell in love with your country and you took us in with open arms, and for that I am so appreciative.

I cannot count how many of you have written to me personally, friended me on Facebook, and reached out to me personally after that game versus Ecuador. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I also want to thank Mr Raymond Tim Kee and Sheldon Phillips for the opportunity they presented me with.  I think they saw the vision of where we could go with women’s football, so a sincere thank you to both.

Lastly and most importantly I want to thank the staff there in Trinidad and Tobago that I worked alongside, and to the staff here in the States that helped us in trying to reach our goals.

To the players who have given both Ben and I a lifetime of great memories, I thank you the most.

We all went through some difficult times, but in spite of it all you guys remained committed to the dream of qualifying for a major tournament, and growing the women’s game.

I’m so proud of each and every one of you, and I hope you all continue to grow the game in some way there in Trinidad and Tobago.

I will always be here for you, you remain deep in my heart and my thoughts, and I’ll be in Houston cheering you on from the stands as you all attempt to qualify for the Olympics in Rio. Ben will be alongside me as well, and just know that you made us very proud to be the national team coaches of the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Soca Warriors!

Women’s Soca Warriors Always,
Randy Waldrum

RELATED NEWS

TTFA axed Waldrum over slow paperwork; Hood tipped for W/Warriors post.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams confirmed this evening that the local football body decided to replace Randy Waldrum as Women’s National Senior Team head coach, due to the latter’s failure to meet a deadline for proposals for his plans with the team and the players he wanted for the Rio 2016 Olympic qualifying series.

Waldrum, who is also the head coach of US professional women’s team Houston Dash, was informed this morning, by John-Williams, that the TTFA had decided to go in another direction.

The 54-year-old Texan coach, who was popular with the national players, took charge of the “Women Soca Warriors” in mid-2014 and led the team to the inaugural 2014 Caribbean title and the 2014 CONCACAF Championship semifinals before falling to Ecuador in a two-legged play off for a Canada 2015 World Cup berth.

Waldrum had pleaded for a chance to develop the local women’s game over the next four years, leading up to the France 2019 World Cup. However, his hopes were dashed this morning.

“Mr Williams let me know this morning that he will not use me again,” Waldrum told Wired868. “So I guess I am finished. I just want to say a big thank to you all the players and fans who have supported me ever since I got there…”

Waldrum said he was disappointed by the TTFA President’s decision but not surprised. John-Williams, according to the Texan, told him that he was considering bringing in a local coach from their first conversation, just hours after his appointment on Sunday November 29.

“I wasn’t really surprised (by my dismissal) because the very first time he took office he indicated he was thinking about changing things and going to a local coach,” said Waldrum. “But he said his mind wasn’t made up yet. This was even before the (international) games in Hawaii and San Antonio…

“And I was catching wind from people back in Trinidad, since then, that he was going in that direction.

“I am disappointed because I think we made a lot of strides in the first year that I came there. And I had ideas in mind to revamp all the national programmes over the next three year cycle.”

However, John-Williams said that the decision to change the Women Warriors coach was made over the last week, due to Waldrum’s failure to submit plans for his post. The proposal was supposedly meant to encompass the team’s programme for the next four years.

“I contacted Randy Waldrum (on Saturday January 2) and I asked him for a proposal by the Monday (January 4) on (his plans as coach) and the list of players he wanted to use,” John-Williams told Wired868. “We decided that he needed more time to check the schedules before he could be sure about the availability of the players. So I gave him until Wednesday (January 6) for that since it was the more difficult of the two.

“Neither deadline was met.”

The TTFA president said he met with his Executive Committee—which comprises of vice-presidents Ewing Davis, Joanne Salazar and Allan Warner—on Wednesday and they decided to relieve Waldrum of his post. This was relayed to the national women players in a meeting that same evening.

“The decision was based on his failure to submit documentation,” said John-Williams, who is also the former president and chairman of Pro League club, DIRECTV W Connection.

John-Williams said Waldrum emailed him the requested paperwork at 12.59 am on Thursday January 7, just hours after the TTFA told the Women Warriors that they would choose a new coach.

“On January 7 at 12.59 am, he (wrote) to me,” said John-Williams. “I responded to him at 2.54 am and said: Dear Randy. Thank you for your email which I received at 1 am this morning on the 7th of January 2016.

“I am disappointed to receive it so late…”

The TTFA President informed Waldrum that he would pass his proposal on to his Executive Committee and get back to him.

But the Executive Committee, according to Williams, decided to stick to its initial position and informed Waldrum today that it felt a local coach gave the Women Warriors the best chance of qualifying for the France 2019 World Cup.

Williams suggested that finances was one consideration in the TTFA’s decision. Although Waldrum was unpaid, he preferred to prepare the team in training camps near to his home in Houston.

It was a preference the coach justified in the past by pointing to the inadequate training facilities and conditions where they were previously housed in Trinidad.

Waldrum, according to the TTFA president, also indicated that he would miss national team practice to attend the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) draft on behalf of the Houston Dash on Friday January 15.

Last November, the coach had also ruled himself out of the Caribbean stage of the Women Warriors’ Olympic qualifiers and the responsibility fell to then assistant coach Anthony Creece. And Ross Russell deputised for Waldrum at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games last July.

John-Williams said those incidents were also taken into account by the TTFA Executive Committee before its final decision.

Waldrum declined comment on his late paperwork or the various reasons given for his dismissal.

John-Williams refused to officially reveal the new Women Warriors coach. But Wired868 understands that Police FC coach Richard Hood, a former national women’s coach who led Fuego to the inaugural Women’s Premier League (WPL) title last year, is favoured to replace Waldrum.

Ironically, four years ago, Hood was in charge of the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team for the London 2012 Olympic qualifying series. They were eliminated in the Caribbean phase, after a 1-0 loss to the Dominican Republic.

However, his unfancied Police FC team are second in the Pro League at the moment ahead of former title winners like defending champions Central FC, W Connection and San Juan Jabloteh.

Prior to taking office, John-Williams vowed that he would not get involved in the hiring and firing of coaches but will leave such duties to the appropriately appointed TTFA committees.

The TTFA does not have a Technical Committee in place at present but John-Williams said it will officially announce the members for that committee tomorrow.

So, should John-Williams and his ExCo have waited another day or two and allowed the TTFA Technical Committee to decide who it wanted as Women Warriors coach?

“I do not think so,” said John-Williams. “I was under pressure to make a decision and I didn’t have time to wait…

“The women have to be in training. They (should) start training on Thursday (January 14) but I had wanted them to start training on Monday (January 10).”

Trinidad and Tobago opens the CONCACAF leg of its Olympic qualifying series on February 11 against Guatemala. The Women Warriors will then face Canada and Guyana on February 14 and 16 respectively.

The top two Group B nations will advance to the semifinal round with just two CONCACAF nations advancing to Rio. Group A comprises of Mexico, Costa Rica and World Cup champions and host nation, the United States.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
Maxg like yuh reminiscing. De man fail to submit his paperwork on time and therefore was not compliant so he had to show him who was boss. Plus we have local coaches that can get the job done and a new HOF facility where "you can bring wifey...." Progress!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
Serves them right. that big fat dummy shot himself in the foot multiple times and now it will cost him his presidency. that wanker single handedly demolished TT football from A to Z without even trying. we have not qualified for nothing under his tenure, not under 15 boys and girls under 17 and senior men’s and women not one single accomplishment. I hope the local jackasses who gave him the nod are now broke and destitute from their knuckleheaded decision.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:23:25 AM by pull stones »

1]; } ?>