March 29, 2024, 04:46:29 AM

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T WNT vs Ecuador WNT Game (02-Dec-2014)  (Read 37509 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the T&T WNT vs Ecuador WNT Game (02-Dec-2014)
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
Light Ecuadoran practice session in progress ... with a combined heading and volleyball activity. Very applied, players in good spirits. Ecuadoran TV crew present.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Last pair take aim at history
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2014, 11:46:07 AM »
Last pair take aim at history
FIFA.com

After the biggest FIFA Women’s World Cup™ qualifying campaign in history - 129 nations playing over 400 qualifiers - there are just 90 minutes remaining until the final composition of the 24-nation field for Canada 2015 is known. Trinidad & Tobago host Ecuador in an intercontinental play-off with both nations seeking maiden qualification to the global stage. The tie sits on a knife-edge after the pair played out a tense scoreless draw in Quito in early November. For the players, at stake is not only qualification to Canada 2015, but the chance to write their names in the nation’s football history, and perhaps even help kick-start women’s football in their respective homelands.

The match
Trinidad & Tobago – Ecuador, Port of Spain, 2 December, 18:00 (local time)
The Hasely Crawford Stadium in the Trinidad capital has witnessed many famous events, including two FIFA youth World Cup finals, and, perhaps most memorably in the eyes of locals fans, a leg of the FIFA World Cup intercontinental play-off which saw Trinidad & Tobago famously qualify for Germany 2006. Now the same history-making opportunity awaits the Soca Princesses. T&T, under the guidance of highly-experienced American coach Randy Waldrum, elected to focus on local camp preparation with a largely U-21 team attending last week’s Central American and Caribbean Games. Prior to the opening leg in Quito, the Soca Princesses had been battle hardened thanks to five tough games at October’s CONCACAF Championship, which doubled as Canada 2015 qualifiers.

Though T&T may have the edge heading into the contest, Ecuador know that a single away goal could change the complexion of the tie in an instant. Already they have proven their resilience to reach this stage. They rescued their CONMEBOL campaign in the final outing of an exhausting seven-match campaign by coming from the brink of defeat at two goals down against Argentina to win 3-2 and advance to the play-off. So far, Ecuador have played all their qualifiers on home soil, including that tense opening leg last month in front of an impressive crowd in the Ecuadorian capital. How Vanessa Arauz’s side adapt to playing in foreign territory will go a long way to determining the 24th and final team to earn a ticket to Canada.

The stat
– The number of South American nations to have previously featured at a FIFA Women’s World Cup; Brazil, Argentina and Colombia.

Players to watch
Pacy Kennya Cordner is arguably the jewel in the T&T crown. Lithe and elusive, the free-running forward or wide midfielder was the only T&T player named in the CONCACAF Championship all-star team alongside a host of big-name USA players. The 26-year-old has a rare level of experience among those in the Soca Princesses’ ranks having played in England Sweden, Australia and in the US for top NWSL outfit Seattle Reign.

Influential forward Andrea Pesantes is recognised as one of the driving forces in the Ecuador team. One of the first picked by coach Arauz, Pesantes is a technically gifted player who has played in defence and midfield during her career, but is now a settled member of the forward line. “I have the energy to lift the team and push it to victory,” she says.

The words
“I think we’ve got to prepare ourselves for a very strong challenge from them. They are maybe under much less pressure being away from home and they will try to spoil our party,” Trinidad & Tobago coach Randy Waldrum.

"The girls have understood the game situations that may arise, there is a lot of responsibility on their shoulders but the group is committed to achieving this goal," Ecuador coach Vanessa Arauz.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2014, 11:55:37 AM »

Aye it is important our Women Warriors stay focused and not get distracted by all that is happening around them from the media, to fan frenzy, to online chatter. Stay focused ladies

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Waldrum to name T&T squad today
Trinidad Guardian Reports

The 20 players selected for the “Women Soca Warriors” squad to face Ecuador tomorrow, will be announced publicly this morning, a day before the all important second leg Fifa Women’s World Cup qualifier.

The squad was originally expected to be announced some time between Friday night and Saturday morning, but this was delayed to allow assistant coaches, Ben Waldrum and John Dewitt a further look at the squad. Both arrived in the country on Saturday night.

The 22 players, who were named to train for the fixture over a week ago, conducted their final preparation session at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, yesterday. The T&T players, along with the Ecuador team returns to the match venue today for one hour each, as stipulated by Fifa.

Ecuador’s players and technical staff members arrived in Trinidad on Saturday afternoon. Both will attempt to seal their first ever qualification for the Fifa Women’s World Cup. The first leg finished goalless early last month in Quito, setting up a second leg thriller in Port-of-Spain.

Due to the away goal rule, Ecuador will advance with a win or a draw by any result, apart from a goalless one. On the other end, T&T will need to win in regulation time, extra time, or on a penalty shoot-out, if the match again ends goalless.

Ecuador arrived in T&T on Saturday and enjoyed two training sessions. Ecuador captain Ligia Moreira said the team approach would be to try to manage the game and control the ball, “because we know that they will go with everything to attack”.

The first leg in Quito, Ecuador, which ended goalless meant T&T would have to score in Port-of-Spain in order to qualify for Canada, but any draw other than a goalless result or a win for Ecuador, would put the South Americans through to their inaugural appearance on the big stage.

“We have analyzed all possible scenarios and one of them is criminal, the end of the game and 0-0 overtime,” said Vanessa Arauz, Ecuadorian coach, who insisted that her team must remain calm, but capitalise on all opportunities to score. She has mentioned, that set pieces and penalties can be crucial to the fixture and has put particular emphasis on such plays.

“We know the physical potential they have,” she cautioned.

Tickets still available
According to TTFA director of communications, Shaun Fuentes, between 12,000-14,000 tickets have been purchased. Some venues have sold out since tickets went on sale, last week, but have been replenished. They are priced at $100 (uncovered) and $200 (covered). Children under the age of 12 are free but must walk with a ticket which is available at Kenny’s Sports Centre and The Fan Club. Two can be claimed with the purchase of one adult ticket. Tickets are also available at All Out Restaurant, Heritage Sports in Scarborough, Ramsingh’s in Couva, Econo Supermarket in Sangre Grande and the Southern Football Association in Skinner Park, San Fernando.​

Ecuador’s Erika Vasquez and Rhea Belgrave of T&T combat an aerial ball during the first leg of the Fifa Women’s World Cup intercontinental qualifier in Quito, Ecuador, last month. The match ended goalless. T&T and Ecuador will meet again in Port-of-Spain, tomorrow from 6 pm (T&T time). AP Photo

Source: Trinidad Guardian
Published: Monday, December 1, 2014
Link: http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2014-11-30/waldrum-name-tt-squad-today

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Again, any sure live broadcast?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
Let me do some checks, but with Justin.tv been SELLOUT boyz to twitch.tv it might be hard. Maybe Univision or Deportes mite carry it. Have to wait and see.. Elan you not going to Hasley for this one?

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
My wife and I were just over at movie towns the fan club buying woman warrior tee shirts and were advised they have no more tickets left at their location. They are telling all callers what the TTFA told them that the remaining tickets will go on sale at the stadium at 10 am tomorrow morning. I can't speak for any other location that may have tickets.
Thank god I have mine already  ;D
I will be the covered section with my Red Jersey on and my face painted with my favourite warrior number 5 on my cheek and the flag painted on the other. Will be displaying the Trinidad scarf proud as I have through-out every Concacaf qualifying game.
History will be made tomorrow my friends.

Hope to see you all their cheering loud and proud  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
Have a good feeling about this game. Ecuador will play counter attack and if they score first, park the airplane & bus
Yaya & Mollen both will score for sure.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
My wife and I were just over at movie towns the fan club buying woman warrior tee shirts and were advised they have no more tickets left at their location. They are telling all callers what the TTFA told them that the remaining tickets will go on sale at the stadium at 10 am tomorrow morning. I can't speak for any other location that may have tickets.
Thank god I have mine already  ;D
I will be the covered section with my Red Jersey on and my face painted with my favourite warrior number 5 on my cheek and the flag painted on the other. Will be displaying the Trinidad scarf proud as I have through-out every Concacaf qualifying game.
History will be made tomorrow my friends.

Hope to see you all their cheering loud and proud  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

-----------

Nice spirit positive vibes- ah make the trip over from the deep freeze looking to bounce up with all and hoping for a big positive result.
Go WarriorsGo

We could do this yes we can!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »

Word is all tickets have been sold out. Good job by the TTFF and those involved.  :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
The players currently training at the Hasely Crawford Meanwhile, on the opposite end, the Ecuador team is expected to arrive at Piarco International Airport today at approximately 4.30 pm.The South Americans will then make their way down to the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel, Invaders Bay, where they will camp for the duration of their stay. They will train at field outside of the Hasely Crawford Stadium, tomorrow, from 10 am, and again on Monday from 6 pm.

Damn Mobile device. Wont allow me to copy/ quote  :banginghead:

Took a walk over to Hasley.  Saw the Ecaudorians boarding their bus however they did not come to Hasley  :frustrated:

Wheres our intelligence officer  ::)

Well got some nice exercise. Time for an ale or three :beermug:

Tuesday cant come soon enough.

Cheers. 19

19 yuh have some contradictory info in there. Yuh sure yuh didn't have dem 3 ales prior to posting?  ;D

They arrived yesterday. Their advance personnel arrived the day before. By now they should have already trained for the day based on their itinerary.

Lmfao.  Well I watched the players board their team bus this morning at about 10:45 am. They were all dressed like they were ready to practise. However I did not see which way the bus went. I walked back over to Hasley however they must've went to the double secret training location. They know the Soca Warriors are spying on them so they headed to the hills.  ;D

Not hearing anything about a pre-game tailgate party.  :bs: :cursing:

Cheers.   

So! ... apparently there's a story here. The federation "someone" screwed up the arrangements for Ecuador's training session yesterday. Instead of taking the team to the Hasely ... the squad was taken about an hour away ... wherever Madame Prime Minister was distributing Christmas gifts to kids, and they ended up with a practice session that lasted only 30 minutes and a couple players were injured because the facility was of poor quality. The Ecuadorans were ... and are ... less than happy/very angry/upset about the entire runnings that went down.

In Ecuador our players trained on the grounds of Barcelona, Emelec and at the national stadium ... 3 fine facilities ... and our WNT players can attest that the hospitality received in Ecuador was of a high standard. It's a shame we have been less than diligent in reciprocating.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
Just heard them announce on C-TV News that they will be bringing the game live tomorrow because the game is almost sold out.

Link: http://video.ctntworld.com/stream.html
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
So! ... apparently there's a story here. The federation "someone" screwed up the arrangements for Ecuador's training session yesterday. Instead of taking the team to the Hasely ... the squad was taken about an hour away ... wherever Madame Prime Minister was distributing Christmas gifts to kids, and they ended up with a practice session that lasted only 30 minutes and a couple players were injured because the facility was of poor quality. The Ecuadorans were ... and are ... less than happy/very angry/upset about the entire runnings that went down.

In Ecuador our players trained on the grounds of Barcelona, Emelec and at the national stadium ... 3 fine facilities ... and our WNT players can attest that the hospitality received in Ecuador was of a high standard. It's a shame we have been less than diligent in reciprocating.

Why is there always some nonsense with us??? There's always a mix-up, things never go according to plan, always some confusion ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »

Why is there always some nonsense with us??? There's always a mix-up, things never go according to plan, always some confusion ???

They could have asked Fatima, Saints or QRC to use their grounds for practicing. I think they should  have had access to HCS.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:34:38 PM by Deeks »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
What if Phase II go and play pan whole night outside the hotel. Or thais too much?  :devil:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
What if Phase II go and play pan whole night outside the hotel. Or thais too much?  :devil:

The fans in Panama City did that to the Canadian team last wcq campaign.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good Luck!
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
Moderators, feel free to move this to the appropriate thread, but I will be watching tomorrow when your women National team go for glory vs Ecuador. There is really nothing to lose in this game, but all to gain.

Good luck.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
Wait wait nah b4 we talk about arrangement and the Ecuadorian team- did they not sent a scout party prior to the teams arrival to arrange training and facilities?  If that is the case then how is it our fault for the grounds they were practising in?

Our ladies been through some tough opposition including the mighty US A so not underestimating Ecuador but leh we fuh get the head games and focus on taking care ah business on the field.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Good Luck!
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
I does nevr know how to take ah - "reggae fan" when it comes to their intentions for TNT - grain ah salt we- IMHO  :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug: ::) :yellowcard:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Just heard them announce on C-TV News that they will be bringing the game live tomorrow because the game is almost sold out.

Link: http://video.ctntworld.com/stream.html

WoW!!!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
Good luck tomorrow! It's do or die this time, so let's do it!

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »
We Ready
Trinidad Express Reports

Women Warriors in last-ditch bid to make World Cup

“We’re ready,” stated Randy Waldrum, Trinidad and Tobago’s senior women’s team head-coach. Waldrum assured that the Women Warriors are as ready as could be for today’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Ecuador.

Both teams will be hoping for a historic first-ever World Cup qualification when they play the second-leg of an inter-continental playoff for the final spot in the 24-team 2015 Women’s World Cup to be held in Canada.

The teams played to a goalless draw in the first-leg on November 8 in Quito, Ecuador. Today, they clash from 6 p.m. at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, with the aggregate winners over the two matches clinching the final spot for the Women’s World Cup.

“We’re kind of at that point where we are just anxious to get into it,” Waldrum said of today’s match. Undoubtedly the biggest women’s football match in T&T’s history,” said the former USA women’s under-23 coach.

Waldrum says that nothing less than a win would do, as the Women Warriors attempt to emulate the 2006 men, as the only senior national football team to qualify for a FIFA World Cup tournament.

“We have to expect a win. We want a victory. Anything short of that will be a disappointment for everybody involved,” Waldrum declared. “But even so, this team has done extremely, extremely well.”

“Because of how the first stage tied 0-0, I think you’ll see a game that will be fairly open,” said Waldrum. “A tie with goals scored works for them, but a tie with no goals scored, and we still have to play more.

“If they had won by multiple goals, they could come and sit in a bit. So, I think you’ll see them try to go get the game, and I think you will see from us, obviously, try to go get the win,” Waldrum added. “I think you will see both teams be smart about going and feeling each other out a bit early on. But, I don’t think you’ll see either team really sitting back.”

By Ian Prescott ian.prescott@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Dec 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM ECT
Link: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/We-Ready-284406521.html

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2014, 01:52:47 AM »
Total support for Women Warriors in final bid for World Cup glory
Trinidad Guardian Reports

This country’s senior women’s footballers will have the backing of over 22,500 spectators at a sold-out Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain from 6 pm this evening when they meet Ecuador, as both teams attempt to qualify for next year’s Fifa Women’s World Cup.

The vast majority of tickets have already been sold out, yet fans are expected to flock to the venue from early hours today in a last-ditch attempt to salvage an experience similar to that of the men’s team when it met Bahrain in 2005 and the USA in 1989.

The women’s team has very similar ambitions, as they are aiming to qualify for their first ever Fifa Women’s World Cup.

T&T has never reached this close, and according to head coach Randy Waldrum, there has never been a better opportunity to qualify.

A win today will see T&T join World Cup host Canada, along with the USA, Costa Rica and Mexico for a record number of representatives from Concacaf. T&T too, will become the smallest country by population, behind Equatorial Guinea, to qualify for World Cup with a win.

Today will see a battle of tactics between Waldrum and his counterpart Vanessa Arauz and on the field between Warriors captain Maylee Attin Johnson and her opposite number Ligia Moreira.

The variables that define the fixture are straightforward. T&T’s Women Soca Warriors must avoid a loss. A goalless draw after full time and extra time will see the match decided on a penalty shoot-out, while a win or a draw by any result other than a goalless one, will see Ecuador through.

These scenarios were constructed as a result of the goalless draw in the first leg in Quito, Ecuador, early last month.

The “away goal rule” gives goals from away teams more strength than those scored by the home team, but only in the case where both teams are tied after both legs. Given that the first match ended without any goals, Ecuador will advance to the World Cup if the match ends 1-1 or 2-2 and so forth.

Both teams returned to the venue yesterday for successive one-hour training sessions.

Kennya Cordner is expected to start up front and will likely have the support of Mariah Shade and winger Akheela Mollon, with Johnson holding.

Possible line-ups:

T&T: Kimika Forbes; Brianna Ryce, Rhea Belgrave, Arin King, Lauren Hutchinson, Kadhidra Debessette, Maylee Attin Johnson, Karyn Forbes, Ahkeela Mollon, Mariah Shade, Kennya Cordner.

Ecuador: Shirley Berruz, Ingrid Rodriguez, Lorena Aguilar, Ligia Moreira, Angie Ponce, Mayra Olvera, Andrea Pesantes, Erika Vasquez, Kerly Real, Ambar Torres, Monica Quinteros.

Members of the T&T Women Warriors go through their final paces at the
 Hasely Crawford Stadium, yesterday. The T&T women meet Ecuador in
a World Cup qualifier with the winner qualifying for next year’s World Cup.
 Photo Jeff Mayers

Published:  Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Link : http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2014-12-01/total-support-women-warriors-final-bid-world-cup-glory

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:01:16 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2014, 02:46:35 AM »
Women Warriors in last-ditch bid to make World Cup
By Ian Prescott (Express).

We Ready

“We’re ready,” stated Randy Waldrum, Trinidad and Tobago’s senior women’s team head-coach. Waldrum assured that the Women Warriors are as ready as could be for today’s crucial World Cup qualifier against Ecuador.

Both teams will be hoping for a historic first-ever World Cup qualification when they play the second-leg of an inter-continental playoff for the final spot in the 24-team 2015 Women’s World Cup to be held in Canada.

The teams played to a goalless draw in the first-leg on November 8 in Quito, Ecuador. Today, they clash from 6 p.m. at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, with the aggregate winners over the two matches clinching the final spot for the Women’s World Cup.

“We’re kind of at that point where we are just anxious to get into it,” Waldrum said of today’s match. Undoubtedly the biggest women’s football match in T&T’s history,” said the former USA women’s under-23 coach.

Waldrum says that nothing less than a win would do, as the Women Warriors attempt to emulate the 2006 men, as the only senior national football team to qualify for a FIFA World Cup tournament.

“We have to expect a win. We want a victory. Anything short of that will be a disappointment for everybody involved,” Waldrum declared. “But even so, this team has done extremely, extremely well.”

“Because of how the first stage tied 0-0, I think you’ll see a game that will be fairly open,” said Waldrum. “A tie with goals scored works for them, but a tie with no goals scored, and we still have to play more.

“If they had won by multiple goals, they could come and sit in a bit. So, I think you’ll see them try to go get the game, and I think you will see from us, obviously, try to go get the win,” Waldrum added. “I think you will see both teams be smart about going and feeling each other out a bit early on. But, I don’t think you’ll see either team really sitting back.”

Trinidad and Tobago team

Kimika Forbes, Saundra Baron (goalkeepers);

Khadidra Debessette, Arin King, Amira Walcott, Rhea Belgrave, Lauryn Hutchinson, Brianna Ryce, Patrice Superville (defenders);

Maylee Attin-Johnson, Ayanna Russell, Ahkeela Mollon, Khadisha Debessette, Janine Francois, Tasha St Louis, Karyn Forbes, Dernelle Mascall, Nia Walcott (midfielders);

Mariah Shade, Jasmine Sampson, Anique Walker, Kennya Cordner (strikers).

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:03:39 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2014, 04:38:44 AM »

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:28 AM »
God bless!!!!!!

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2014, 07:26:25 AM »
Good luck tonight ladies...God bless!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2014, 07:27:57 AM »
…In a river of Greats: T&T’s First Women’s World Cup
By Bianca Alice Walker (aboutabeing.wordpress.com)

If you are a Trinbagonian in Trinidad right now I urge you to stop everything you are doing and read this…

The dust gathers and swirls over a Maracas Valley pitch and winds its way through the magnificently-shaped legs of Kenya ‘Yaya’ Cordner as she moves from one end of the field to the next before anyone on the field could begin to react. Relentless in her pursuit of the ball, no stone or pothole on a field or road in Speyside, Tobago, stopped her from guiding the ball through the legs of countless hard-back fellas, no insult or belittlement could break through her tough skin and fortified stare into the deep corners of the goal where she places many a ball, no Saucy Wow or Destra could get on their head and move their waist so acrobatically as Yaya, no female footballer I have played with has ever made me believe so much that every bone in her body was fashioned by God for the beautiful game of football, that she was made for this day — Tuesday 2nd December 2014 — when T&T will qualify for the FIFA Women’s World Cup for the first time in history.

I urge you, if you need one reason to go to the Ecuador vs T&T game tonight it is to witness the finesse, the entertainment and the breathtaking speed of this Tobagonian girl.

And that’s just one reason.

There’s also Ahkeela Mollon who grew up in such dire circumstances that she had to kick around a coconut as a child. But thank goodness she did because every time her foot touches the ball you see and feel the boundless appreciation and love she has for that blessed touch. You’ll see it in her carefully crafted crosses into the box and in the way the ball seems to stick to her feet as she dribbles down the line, wanting to stay near her because she takes care of it. When you see her fly past the wing back, her rass arching from the gale force winds created by her high-speed sprinting, picture the ball as a coconut and you’ll grasp the full force of her story. Never tell Ahkeela Mollon she can’t do anything! Ahkeela Mollon, 20-something years after she kicked her first coconut is going to the FIFA Women’s World Cup and you want to be there to witness it.

If you aren’t convinced enough then here’s a question: what is the greatest thing about life? Is it not being able to celebrate and experience triumph that comes after long-suffering, years of commitment despite dire odds, and unflinching determination through every loss, every no, every empty stadium, every corrupted decision, every bit of gender bias, every thing in your being telling you to just give up? Isn’t that the essence of life?

Well you need to go to this game today (Tuesday 2nd December) and be a part of this 90 minutes in which the essence of life will display itself in its utmost splendour — where every Trinbagonian in the stand will forget about developing country this, political corruption that, small island mentality this, segregation that, and feel TRIUMPHANT. Because we deserve to feel that way.

Yaya and Ahkeela are just two players. I know about half the team well because I played with them on the U20 team for four years. They have been playing with the national team since they were 12 and younger. They are best friends. They are the real stars. Forget your Chelseas, Man Uniteds, Real Madrids and the likes that buy in players to make all-star squads. These girls have been playing for over 10 years for T&T.

I witnessed Ayanna Russell push through severe iron deficiency to compete in international games years ago. No deficiency of any kind would stop Ayanna from being one of the fittest on the team, one of the fittest female players I have ever played with. Growing up behind the old Piarco International Airport, in the villages where only stories of Douens and Soucouyants are noteworthy enough to reach beyond its borders, no one would have guessed that Ayanna would be jet-setting on those low-flying planes that formed the base beat of their hearts, to play Division One soccer in the US and to earn scores of caps for T&T over the years.

I met Kimika Forbes and Karen ‘Baby’ Forbes at the same time I met Yaya, and it changed my view of Tobagonians forever. Spend a day in their presence and you’ll wonder what language Tobagonians speak. You’ll also be in awe of Baby’s Beckham-like free kicks and through-balls and the world has already witnessed Kimika’s phenomenal goalkeeping abilities. Go TOBAGO!!!

Maylee Attin Johnson — she’s been demanding the ball since she could speak and it’s always listened. T&T could not have a better captain whose footballing skills rival any female footballer in the world and whose confidence will make you envious. I haven’t had the privilege of playing with her that often but she commands such respect on the field and you need to be there to witness the vast wisdom with which she plays and get in some ‘ooos’ and ‘aaaahs’ as she nips past 1, 2, 3, 4 Ecuadorians like she’s moving a pawn over a chess board.

These are still only a few members of the team. I could go on all day about the other members that I have played with who will be wearing our national colours tomorrow. The point is that I am in London wishing with all my might that I could be there to witness such a triumph, that I could experience again the thrill and the rush of the packed Hasely Crawford Stadiums of 10 years ago when the Men’s National Team were on fire and long-standing players like Yorke, Latapy, John and Hislop etched their names onto our red-and-white-painted hearts. I would do anything to feel that feeling again, to watch such a triumph again, to see the fruits of talent, determination, long-term commitment and, most essentially, the support of a full stadium and an entire country.

Our first failure would be not filling that stadium. So if you don’t have a ticket then make sure you do everything you can to get one. When I laid on the cool rocks of the clear-watered Maracas Valley river after our intense training sessions so many years ago, next to Yaya, Ayanna, Kimika and others, I knew I was in the company of greats, the Ronaldinhos and Messis and Marthas of Trinidad and Tobago. Today we need to all be there to cheer them on.

Let’s give it all we got T&T!!! Fill that stadium.

Win that game. FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015 here we come.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>