March 28, 2024, 01:17:48 PM

Author Topic: AMES: From A Dot On The Map  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
AMES: From A Dot On The Map
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
Short Film on Self-Belief, Inspiration and Legacy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: AMES: From A Dot On The Map
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »
A nice story... for Canada.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:17 AM »

Nah Bakes ... Canada and Trinidad.  He had trouble with his visa (no work permit) and was not allowed to play again in the states so he took citizenship in Canada (his wife is Canadian). Every year he arranges an exchange clinic with kids from Trinidad and Canada
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Stephen Ames gives back to TT on a regular basis. He just doesn't look for credit or Press.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
In that video Trinidad is relegated to being "a dot on the map," to hear the filmmakers tell it, Trinidad had nothing to do with his achievements... nevermind the fact that he lived in TnT for his first 23 years.  Everything was down to him... and Canada.  He might give back to TnT regularly, but it's not represented in that film... in fact the Trini kids shown in that film only represents a certain segment of TnT... but I'll leave that one alone for now.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

I beg to differ a bit. Canada gets more props. in this story off course than TT. But at least they did show and mentioned TT. It would have been nice for them to show the courses in TT where he honed his skill. It would have been nice to mention that he was winning almost everything in the Caribbean before he left TT at 23. There was nothing else here in TT for him to conquer. He had to leave TT to achieve greatness. To me, he and Dwight York traveled  similar paths to success. What kind of circuit does the Caribbean have that he can make golf his profession.Almost next to none.

Golf is an expensive sport. A "rich" man's sport. Kids for the depressed area hardly have proper field to play football and cricket, far less have the resources for tee time at Moka, Maraval or Chagaramus.

I honestly glad for the guy. The most important thing  is that WE known he from Trini and he get his skills here. Hope he continues his clinics in TT. He just might help a diamond in the rough to greatness.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
The film is commissioned and shown from a Canadian perspective, what's so hard to understand? I never said that he needed to stay and ply his trade in Trinidad. This film celebrates a son of Canada (who just happened to be born on a dot on the map) who's done his country proud.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »

They should cut out from the start to the part with the DOT. This is the first minute or so....that is down to the film maker's very inaccurate view in my opinion.

Start from the screen "This is a True Story" and it isn't as revisionist and puts more focus where it should be.

Should show it at the TT Film Festival to get feedback from the public. Or better yet have a local make our own in appreciation hopefully with RBC sponsorship  ;)
Just goes to show how important it is to write your own history otherwise future generations will believe what others say.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
My only beef with this,  is the lack of info about his golf life before he went Canada. It appears like when he went to Canada, that is when he learn the game. That is how it appears to me. But this guy was an ACCOMPLISHED golfer by the time he reached 23. That is the Bovell revenge. They stole Ames. We stole Bovell. The thing I like about Ames is that he went out and pursued his dream like a horse with blinders in a mile race.  Some would have hesitated  before pursue that road, or capitulated half way thru. and come back home.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »

They should cut out from the start to the part with the DOT. This is the first minute or so....that is down to the film maker's very inaccurate view in my opinion.

Start from the screen "This is a True Story" and it isn't as revisionist and puts more focus where it should be.

Should show it at the TT Film Festival to get feedback from the public. Or better yet have a local make our own in appreciation hopefully with RBC sponsorship  ;)
Just goes to show how important it is to write your own history otherwise future generations will believe what others say.

This pretty much focuses on my problems with the film, people rushing to Ames' defense like I attack him.  The film is skewed towards a Canadian audience and affords scant credit to TnT, other than some backwards place which happened to produce a superlative talent... and thank God he got off that little dot on the map, else Canada mighta lorse ah treasure.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Yuh eh see Port of Spain  :rotfl:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »
Yuh eh see Port of Spain  :rotfl:

dais de only issue I had wit de piece, the shots of some old flag flappin and ah dry up rastaman pushin wheelbarrow

The rest, ah find some allyuh takin unnecessary umbrage with:
a) we IS a dot on the map
b) the piece is bout ah fellah who get inducted into the canadian hall of fame...and hone he professional skills outside the dot
c) dem golf kids who playin up in moka do in fact look like dat...tru is not reflective of the population but dais reality
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>