March 29, 2024, 06:30:49 AM

Author Topic: Ecuador edge T&T women to secure final World Cup spot.  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ecuador edge T&T women to secure final World Cup spot.
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »
By Ian Prescott (Express).

WARRIORS WEEP - It was a repeat of November 19, 1989.

A soft goal, scored in injury time by Monica Quinteros, gave Ecuador a 1-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago last night at a sold-out Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, and the final spot in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup at the expense of the T&T Women Soca Warriors.

In the process, the female national squad sadly emulated their male counterparts of 25 years ago when, needing just a draw to qualify for the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy, the Trinidad and Tobago “Strike Squad” lost 1-0 to the United States.

And, once again, tears were shed at the stadium, with some of the players weeping as they left the field, their dream of representing Trinidad and Tobago in Canada next year being crushed by the visitors.

Dominating yesterday’s match for the most part, the host team paid the price for failing to put away a couple of good chances and the game was lost in the final minutes when Quinteros’s timely touch directed a free-kick past under-worked T&T keeper Kaimika Forbes, who raced erratically to meet the ball.

Hard-working US-born Liana Hinds still had a chance to rescue a draw for T&T, but hit wide in the dying seconds.

Attempting to qualify for its first-ever Women’s World Cup, the national team was coming off a goalless draw in the first leg in Ecuador and, once again, 90 minutes saw the teams without any goals...until the final gut-wrenching moment.

For much of the second half, T&T forced the action and looked like getting the victory.

Striker Kennya Cordner almost gave the home team the perfect start to the second session when putting Ahkeela Mollon’s cross onto the crossbar in the 48th minute.

The Women Warriors applied some pressure and some worries for the visitors without finding the lethal touch.

Cordner seemed to have found the breakthrough opportunity on the right in the 78th minute, but keeper Shirley Berruz brought off a good low save and later also pushed away another goal-bound Mariah Shade shot.

Earlier, Trinidad and Tobago controlled most of the first half, despite creating just the one clear chance, in the 19th minute, when Cordner headed wide Tasha St Louis’s cross from atop the six-yard box.

Ecuador chased shadows for much of the opening half, but could have scored themselves.

T&T defender Rhea Belgrave put in a last-gasp tackle to stop powerful striker Monica Quinteros racing to goal near the half-hour mark and goalkeeper Forbes also anticipated well when blocking an attempted overhead kick from Erika Vasquez just before the half ended.

In losing, the national women failed to follow the senior men, qualifiers for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Pain again at Stadium
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

So close, yet so far.

Again T&T’s footballers finished the bridesmaids and missed out on World Cup qualification by a whisker.

A stoppage time winner by Ecuador against the run of play put a damper on what had been a great party up until then.

But in some ways, yesterday evening represented a renaissance for football in Trinidad and Tobago.

There were no parking spaces in Woodbrook, Wrightson Road or anywhere in the vicinity of Hasely Crawford Stadium, the venue for last night’s clash between Trinidad and Tobago and Ecuador.

The stadium’s interior was a sea of red, and—dare I say it?—most of the patrons were on time, with hundreds more stuck at the entry lanes trying to get in, a scene not unlike a line to Port of Spain’s Immigration Office headquarters, except with greater levels of success.

Scalpers were out in their numbers alongside flag vendors and myriad other interested parties to a sell-out crowd, a scene witnessed last perhaps when the English national team visited as part of T&T football’s centenary celebrations in 2008.

The difference? The Women Soca Warriors stood in the spotlight usually reserved for their male counterparts hoping their road led to World Cup history would end more like the men’s Germany 2005 journey rather than 1989’s Road to Italy.

The atmosphere, too, was one of genuine support.

This was the same team that played before next-to-empty arenas and went to training camp with their pockets just as void. The team that represented T&T with class on the Caribbean and Gold Cup stages with little backing, and without payment until Government’s recent intervention, took this country to the brink of qualification for its first women’s World Cup, and having ground out a 0-0 draw in tough Ecuador conditions, had come home to finish the job.

This time it was more than just the T&T Football Association (TTFA) marketing machinery that brought the crowd out. It was national pride. They sang the national anthem the way it should be sung, but rarely ever is. They cheered on the team with gusto and booed the opposition and at times even referee Esther Staubli of Switzerland.

And they had lots left for MX Prime’s vibrant half-time performance, whose hit “Soca Warriors” was a rallying cry for the T&T men in 2005.

The players fed off that energy on the field, which perhaps worked against them somewhat. They had many chances, near misses and nervy attempts in the final third of the field as they searched for the winner against a valiant but more conservative Ecuador side.

No moment was more exciting and frustrating than when Kennya Cordner, the little engine room of the T&T attack, hit the upright with Ecuadorean goalkeeper Shirley Berruz beaten on 77 minutes, one of three golden second half opportunities.

In the end, though, it was an error by goalkeeper Kimika Forbes that gave Ecuador their World Cup berth, as she misjudged a free kick and committed herself, giving Monica Quinteros a chance to slot home. It must have been heartbreaking for Forbes, a player who, before that incident, had been particularly solid.

It ended another dream for T&T, less than two weeks after T&T football marked its solemn 1989 anniversary on November 19.

It made it tough for the fans to enjoy Benjai’s closing act. Perhaps another MX Prime theme song specially penned for the Women Warriors might have made the difference.

Four teams will now represent CONCACAF at Saturday’s Women’s World Cup draw in Ottawa: Canada (host), United States (CONCACAF champion), Costa Rica (runner-up) and Mexico (third place).

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago: 1.Kimika Forbes; 8.Patrice Superville, 4.Rhea Belgrave, 5.Arin King, 14.Karyn Forbes; 9.Maylee Attin-Johnson (capt); 12.Ahkeela Mollon, 16.Brianna Ryce, 11.Janine Francois (7.Dernelle Mascall 80th), 19.Kennya Cordner; 10.Tasha St Louis (3.Mariah Shade 37th).

Unused substitutes: 17.Sandra Baron (GK), 2.Ayanna Russell, 6.Khadidra Debessette, 13.Anique Walker, 16.Jasmine Sampson, 18.Khadisha Debessette, 20.Lauryn Hutchinson.

Coach: Randy Waldrum.

Ecuador: 1.Shirley Berruz; 7.Ingrid Rodriguez, 3.Lorena Aguilar, 16.Ligia Moreira, 6.Angie Ponce; 13.Madeline Riera (19.Kerly Real 58th), 20.Andrea Pesantes, 5.Mayre Olivera, 8.Erika Vasquez; 10.Ambar Torres (18.Adriana Barre 80th); 14.Monica Quinteros (11.Elizabeth Caicedo 94th).

Unused substitutes: 4.Merly Zambrano, 9.Gianina Lattanzio, 12.Irene Tobar, 15.Palacios Mendoza, 17.Tamara Angulo.

Coach: Vanessa Aráuz.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:06:06 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ecuador edge T&T women to secure final World Cup spot.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »
Anyone have the full game recorded?

Where is George Scoreboard when you need him.

Sad day in T&T.

This lost burns my heart.

T&T team need to stop with the fancy stuff and they have to learn to do things the simple and easy way.

We start the party to early.

These Ladies swear they had already qualify.

From some of the post I red, T&T seemed to have had a lot of chances, that's how the game goes sometimes, you fail to convert and got converted on.

Can't believe they couldn't hold on for one minute more.

Ecuador got one chance and scored? that says a lot.

Please post the full game guys.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:51:46 AM by Sando »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:30 AM »

Hard-working US-born Liana Hinds still had a chance to rescue a draw for T&T, but hit wide in the dying seconds.

Liana Hinds was missed, I see Prescott said she almost scored and she not even on de team.

And its Quinteros not Quintteros with one T.

Why did the coach call in new players and none were used?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:02:39 AM by Sando »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:11:47 AM »
Sando, I saw the replay and the women went out attacking from the first whistle. They were serious, man.  They just lach the composure in front the box. Plus Ecuador stacking eight or nine in the area. Ecuador played an excellent defensive game. It was a cat and mouse game. Unfortunately we get caught in the trap. It was just not our turn this time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:16:03 AM by Deeks »

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
The girl wearing the number 12 shirt, I forgot her name, she is quick and plays on the right side.

To me, she was the weak link in the T&T set up. She tried too hard maybe, but weak overall.

She wasted 90% of the balls she got and tried to play the ball too much at times when she could have played it simple. I also want to mention that how can you put a feather weight to play on the wing? She was man handled.

Number 19 also wasted good scoring chances, but had a better game. She needs to play with her head up but she is very exciting to watch, she much take more shots on goal, only the T&T captain was shooting !! what are the other waiting for, if you do not shoot, you cannot score, its simple as that.

The player that came on for the number 10 were very good.

The captain, Belgrave and King was very composed.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:40:25 AM by Errol »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »
In today's football you need young, running, fast and hard working legs.

My line up woulda been

__________________Kimika Forbes________________
Patrice Superville__Rhea Belgrave__Arin King__Janine Francois
Brianna Ryce__Karyn Forbes__Maylee Attin Johnson__Mariah Shade
___________Jasmine Sampson____Kennya Cordner_____

Mariah Shade have a bright future.

Liana Hinds was a big lost not being here.

Maylee Attin Johnson prove me wrong, time and time again, very smart player and does the simple things.

I think Mollon is T&T's most skillful player but not physically and mentally ready for the big dance. She was T&T's worst player yesterday. 99% of the balls she got she give them away cheaply and only studying to pappy-show players to get cheer from de crowd. Play it simple Mollon.

Brianna Ryce is one of my favorite player on this team, she can play de utility role and she does not stop running. A real baller.

Without Arin King in T&T defence, we would be in real trouble.

Rhea Belgrave is another boss player.

If Lauren Hutchinson work in she speed she will be a much better player, but I like her also. And I know she did not play yesterday.

Kimika Forbes is good to and lost concentration and she miss time the ball. It was disappointing, cause I woulda bet money that ball could nah beat she from there.

Tasha St Louis was one of my favortie players coming up, but her legs is ole and weary, she wasting time on de field. I don't care if she had one or two good passes, overally, she not ready.

Look at Ecuador, they knock de ball with ease and confidence, like they could play ball, T&T does play with constant pressure and forceness, like they have to use all they energy just to kick or to make a pass. Same thing with de men's team.

MAKE DE BALL DO THE WORK FOR YOU

We needed to win, and I still don't understand why de coach didn't change up his formation to a more attacking one earlier in the game. Anique Walker or Jasmine Sampson were good options also.

The simple things T&T cant do, just pass de ball.

TRAP, PASS, MAKE YOURSELF AVAILABLE and SHOOT.

Triangle attack, we cant do either, when they reach over de half way line players running like headless chickens, not yesterday as much but from the past games I saw.

The team played very good yesterday though, this is why we should have bring on more strike force or make adjustments to finish off the Ecuadorians, we give away de game.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:35:06 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
I disagree with part their Sam.
Ecuador coulda barely string 4 pass together consistently.
Them girls control the game and the ball. The last third was the problem.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
FF, wha ah mean is not just Ecuador, I know T&T dominated them for most parts, but its the way other teams handle de ball.

They does knock it, T&T does hit.

If we have to kick to each other all de time, we will get bun faster.

Look, Mollon, take up de ball and run into 3 players !! why?

What sense that making? ent yuh go loose it anyway?

Just make de pass nah and run back for de ruture or move from de line and run into a space in de center. Make some different runs, she makeing she self easy to mark.

De coach look like he fraid to bench big name players.

It shoulda been meh boy Hartie.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
Play it smart and simple T&T.

Goals win games, not dribbling.

Papa, lets run down there and f00ck one of those cows.

Son, I have a better idea, lets walk down and f00ck them all.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
Well, they just pulled off for the airport after spending a lil time at Maracas this morning. I wish it was with sadness, but they were all smiles. Coachwoman is a picture of calm.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
Like all other Nationals I am heartbroken, I really wished the outcome would have been different and kudos to the ladies, they gave their all. Having said this I am a realist and like the old adage "when you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail" and the end result was what happened yesterday.
We had an excellent preparation for the Ecuador leg, but what happened after. That game was played on the 8th of November, but where was our team, what were they doing in preparation for the T&T leg which was almost a month away. My information is nothing as the Coach was unavailable, now if this true aren't there assistant coaches who could have stepped in, did they play any warm up matches?. The team only came together a week ago, let's be real. In contrast Ecuador played three (3) warm up games during that period & it showed. It was obvious that they had a game plan, stuck to it, they showed a lot of patience & in the end they were rewarded.
Now we have the U20 tournament coming up in January 2015, what is the preparation?. I stated in another thread that instead of Derek King going to Jamaica as Assistant coach for the Caribbean Cup he should have stayed in Trinidad to have a training camp with the U20 team as the Pro League was on a two (2) week break and he would have had full access to all players. But nothing, in the meantime Canada etc are playing against the likes of England. So are we setting up ourselves for another disappointment?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:43:24 PM by soccerrama »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
Like all other Nationals I am heartbroken, I really wished the outcome would have been different and kudos to the ladies, they gave their all. Having said this I am a realist and like the old adage "when you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail" and the end result was what happened yesterday.
We had an excellent preparation for the Ecuador leg, but what happened after. That game was played on the 8th of November, but where was our team, what were they doing in preparation for the T&T leg which was almost a month away. My information is nothing as the Coach was unavailable, now if this true aren't there assistant coaches who could have stepped in, did they play any warm up matches?. The team only came together a week ago, let's be real. In contrast Ecuador played three(3) warm up games during that period & it showed. It was obvious that they had a game plan, stuck to it, they showed a lot of patience & in the end they were rewarded.
Now we have the U20 tournament coming up in January 2015, what is the preparation?. I stated in another thread that instead of Derek King going to Jamaica as Assistant coach for the Caribbean Cup he should have stayed in Trinidad to have a training camp with the U20 team as the Pro League was on a two (2) break and he would have had full access to all players. But nothing, in the meantime Canada etc are playing against the likes of England. So are we setting up ourselves for another disappointment?

On hind-sight I would have sent most of the senior women's team to the recent CAC Games and used those matches as prepartion games even if we were to lose a couple games.

Ecuador obviously had better preparation games than we had for this crucial return game as they had 3 while we had none.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:15:52 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
We had an excellent preparation for the Ecuador leg, but what happened after. That game was played on the 8th of November, but where was our team, what were they doing in preparation for the T&T leg which was almost a month away. My information is nothing as the Coach was unavailable, now if this true aren't there assistant coaches who could have stepped in, did they play any warm up matches?. The team only came together a week ago, let's be real. In contrast Ecuador played three(3) warm up games during that period & it showed. It was obvious that they had a game plan, stuck to it, they showed a lot of patience & in the end they were rewarded.
Now we have the U20 tournament coming up in January 2015, what is the preparation?. I stated in another thread that instead of Derek King going to Jamaica as Assistant coach for the Caribbean Cup he should have stayed in Trinidad to have a training camp with the U20 team as the Pro League was on a two (2) break and he would have had full access to all players. But nothing, in the meantime Canada etc are playing against the likes of England. So are we setting up ourselves for another disappointment?

On hind-sight I would have sent most of the senior women's team to the recent CAC Games and used those matches as prepartion games even if we were to lose a couple games.

Ecuador obviously had better preparation games than we had for this crucial return game as they had 3 while we had none.

These ideas of preparation and team conditioning  appeared from the second half performance by some players as possible factors where we were lacking.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:54:21 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Two tough endings for DePaul's Brianna Ryce
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Two tough endings for DePaul's Brianna Ryce
By Philip Hersh (Chicago Tribune)

Less than three weeks after her record-breaking DePaul team had a first-round loss in the NCAA tournament, Brianna Ryce’s 2014 soccer season ended in a heartbreaking national team defeat Tuesday night at Port of Spain, Trinidad.

As the Trinidad and Tobago newspaper Newsday headlined it:  “AGONY.”

That is how the country felt after its Soca Warriors, with Rice starting on defense, failed to capture the final place in the 24-team field for the 2015 Women’s World Cup in Canada.

"A loss at any level is always difficult," Ryce said in an email Wednesday morning.  “Furthermore, I believe once a team has sacrificed their time and invested so much in the pursuit of a goal, a loss is even more saddening. However, in the midst of defeat, there is always a positive."

One positive would be the emotional support the painfully underfunded T&T women had received.

Playing before an estimated 19,000 at a packed Hasely Crawford Stadium, T&T needed a win over underdog Ecuador after the teams had played a scoreless tie Nov. 8 at Quito in the opener of a home-and-home playoff.

T&T dominated the rematch but Ecuador won, 1-0, on a goal in second-half stoppage time.  That kept T&T from becoming the first Caribbean island to qualify for the Women’s World Cup.

Ryce, a DePaul junior from Atlanta, had spent the past two months dividing her time between the Blue Demons and the T&T national team, for which she could play because of her mother’s heritage.

She had played all but one minute in five matches, including two overtime matches, of October’s CONCACAF Women’s Championship, from which the top three finishers (USA, Costa Rica, Mexico) qualified for the World Cup and the fourth, T&T, earned the playoff spot.  T&T could have avoided the playoff had it been able to hold a one-goal lead for the final 12 regulation minutes against Mexico.

"When she came back from that, Brianna was pretty fatigued and beat up," DePaul coach Erin Chastain said.

Ryce saw a lot of action with DePaul early in its season but played rarely at the end because of her commitments to the T&T team.

Ryce skipped the first World Cup playoff match to catch up on schoolwork and remain with the Blue Demons for the NCAA tournament.  Despite an unbeaten season and top ten ranking to that point, DePaul drew an opening-round match at Big Ten tournament champion Wisconsin and lost 2-0.

She took final exams early to rejoin her national team a week before the second playoff match.

"It was a tough ending for her," Chastain said.  "She will be a leader for us next year."

The coach was referring to Ryce’s not playing in the NCAA tournament.  But the words applied as well after Ryce went all 93 minutes Tuesday.

"It's hard for me to even accept, because as a competitor, I want to win on the day," Ryce wrote.  "Yet, this is the reality: win or loss, I and my team (nation and college) have to be strong enough to accept the result."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Post-match comments from Randy Waldrum.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dNgzAAUvLyE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dNgzAAUvLyE</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Reflecting on a courageous campaign
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
Reflecting on a courageous campaign
By Sean Taylor (taylorsportsoutlook.wordpress.com)

When that seemingly innocuous free kick was redirected into an empty waiting net, I knew at that exact moment that a dream was about to die. The Soca Princesses labored on for almost 120 minutes without scoring; asking them to score two in quick succession against such an organised defence was too much. At the final whistle I felt a roller coaster of emotions. Part of me was infuriated at the wasted chances – Ecuador themselves would eagerly admit that they were inferior, however, I also felt deep regret for these girls, I really did.

These girls have been working extremely hard in spite of some very challenging circumstances. The team that went to the United States several weeks ago to the CONCACAF Women’s Championships were a combination of several youth team players over the years as well as seasoned campaigners. Their journey to this point has been particularly long and arduous. The Women’s League Football (WoLF) competition is the female equivalent to the TT Pro League and has to be directly attributed to the success of the current women’s team. I have been to a few of these games… more than enough to conclude the obvious and time honoured adage that Trinidad and Tobago could be something really special in sports if the administration would quit the bullshit. In our women’s game I can off the top of my head identify three clubs that stand out in a professional capacity; Real Dimension, Trincity Nationals and Malick City – all teams that operate at a high standard.

It is an extremely uncomfortable parallel, but last night’s match reeked of 1989. Even the goal was a similar flash in the pan, much more ludicrous than that of Paul Caligiuri. Alas, the heart is not in it to criticise these girls. I prefer to remember the series of critical saves in the first match a month ago against the US attack, or the defensive marshalling by Arin King, our no-nonsense central defender, or the adventurous performances against Haiti and Guatemala that saw us 1-0 and 2-1 winners, sending us into the semi-finals. Or last night when Ecuador spent over 75 minutes parked in their own half, constantly being outstripped on their flanks by Kennya “Yaya” Cordner, as well as so many other superb collective performances. So instead, I have to say that the entire team has progressed very well under the long-time tutelage of Even Pellerud (who has done a lot for the women’s game) and current coach Randy Waldrum. Ahkeela Mollon and Kennya Cordner will be on the tips of the tongues of many spectators for years to come, but for me the standout player was most definitely Maylee Attin-Johnson, whose performance lends to the overused cliché of “having not put a foot wrong all night”. Her overall performance was technically flawless: dropping deep when necessary, fetching and carrying as well as distributing the ball in a way that retained possession. So the lasting painful image in my head was that of her trudging down the tunnel, eyes down at her feet in dejection.

There are a couple things that I feel that I do need to say however. The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs (MSYA), The Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago and virtually all the entities with the power to help develop the game are a shameless lot. It’s sickening to consider the amount of credit our government would have taken in hindsight had these girls have qualified. Cynical this, but I also have to say that the exodus of hundreds of fans shortly before the final whistle was also shameful, but not surprising – after all, virtually no-one knew or cared about this team until a few weeks ago when Waldrum decided to take drastic measures via social media to acquire the funds necessary for the campaign in  the US. Hats off to the administrators in the WoLF who did as much as they could to mobilise support for the girls. However, last night the image of the fans was emblematic of bandwagon patriotism Trinidadians are notorious for. I do hope, however, that this near miss would be a catalyst for positive changes in the local setup. After all, let’s not forget the Men’s Senior Team is doing very well themselves losing on penalties in the Caribbean Cup Final (narrowly missing out on a Copa America place) as well as qualifying again for the next CONCACAF Gold Cup. On the eve of that particular final against Jamaica, Stephen Hart and his players had to refuse to participate in the Final in order to be paid a backlog of salaries dating back to four years ago. Stephen Hart himself wasn’t paid for several months… I mean what is it with these organisations and derailing the progress of a hard-working group?

Never mind that, as Trinidadians and Tobagonians we should be proud. Despite the anguish, frustration and obvious disappointment at the result, I won’t forget this group. These women, as well as a lot of our athletes in the past twenty-four years have brought the attention of the world to themselves, without so much of a peep from the sports administration here. They were able to soldier on to the brink in spite of the TTFA and MSYA’s chronic and inexplicable lethargy. There may come a day when the officials in the corridors of power get their acts together and do their job with the development of our sporting teams in mind and T&T can really show the world what we have to offer. And if that day comes, we can look back in awe at these athletes who were the true pioneers that laid down the groundwork when most people with power were only interested in fulfilling their own personal agendas. The athletes who put pride and country above all else and work tirelessly with minimum complaints and next to no public encouragement. Until that day materialises though, we owe it to ourselves to give the collective effort of the T&T Women’s team the acclaim it deserves.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
FF, wha ah mean is not just Ecuador, I know T&T dominated them for most parts, but its the way other teams handle de ball.

If we have to kick to each other all de time, we will get bun faster.

Look, Mollon, take up de ball and run into 3 players !! why?Mollon, take up de ball and run into 3 players !! why?

What sense that making? ent yuh go loose it anyway?

Just make de pass nah and run back for de ruture or move from de line and run into a space in de center. Make some different runs, she makeing she self easy to mark.

De coach look like he fraid to bench big name players.

It shoulda been meh boy Hartie.

Sam if I read this i would not have bothered to write the same thing on another thread ......Mollon, take up de ball and run into 3 players !! why?  but its the way other teams handle de ball.

If we have to kick to each other all de time, we will get bun faster

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
Wonderful  wonderful article Mr Sean Taylor  i thoroughly   enjoyed the read .!!  I had the privilege opportunity of meeting some of these very players at a tournament held in montreal ,  they were just teenagers at the time, notably maylee attin , akheela, yaya  cordner  even then there talents were evident.. i was able to chat and listen to miss maylee attin johnson , i'm not at all surprised by her leadership as captain of the team  .. Even at the age she displayed a level of maturity  beyond  her years  shes a very special  young lady ...  so  to maylee and her  team mates . you will always have a special in the hearts of trinbagonians... keep courage and press on .. proud proud thats  of you all that how i feel  ..lift ur heads up  god bless

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
When you peel back the emotional layer of the onion  skin, and the tears stop rolling consider:

Did we get progressively better given the results we had earlier on against the prior opposition we faced?
Which do you think is worse for players' psyche- hosting the World Cup and getting a cut arse at home like Brazil did or given four games to qualify and not delivering?

Let's put this in perspective- we had four games to make a mark!!!!! If we could not do it in those games let's face a brutal reality- were we good enough to be at a WC competing against the limes of USA Canada Germany or Japan?

We have to get better simply put- mentally physically and emotionally!!'nn

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »
Women Warriors left to rue missed chances.

PLAYERS GUTTED

AHKEELA MOLLON was unable to breathe and was rushed away by ambulance, while goalkeeper Kimika Forbes sobbed uncontrollably after conceding the goal which ended Trinidad and Tobago’s dreams of qualifying for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Distraught captain Maylee Attin-Johnson was the only one composed enough to speak immediately after the match. But, barely. “It’s like a nightmare for me right now,” the captain admitted. “I had already planned on going to the World Cup. I can’t say what (comes) next.”

Attin-Johnson acknowledged that many of her teammates were gutted after the defeat and promised to have a long talk with 23-year-old goalie Kimika Forbes, who was crying inconsolably for hours after her misjudgment led to Ecuador’s winning goal.

Attin-Johnson felt the talented keeper had a very bright future ahead. “Kimika is a very passionate player. So, it very hard to calm her down at this monent,” Attin-Johnson said. “Kimika and they have sacrificed a lot. They have been through the good, the bad, and the indifferent.”

The Women Warriors captain felt that though they had accomplished much, by getting to the point where they could qualify, that they still fell short.

“We still did not accomplish what we set out to accomplish. We are very much disappointed in ourselves,”she said. “Goals win matches. We were not able to put away ours. They (Ecuador) got one chance and put away their own. So, it was a bit unfortunate.”

“For some reason the ball wasn’t going into the back of that net. We got a lot of chances, we didn’t put it away. They got one and scored,” the T&T women’s captain lamented.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »
US football enthusiast: They inspired many.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Jen Cooper, who covers all aspects of North American women’s football and the Houston Dash football club made the journey to Port-of-Spain for Tuesday’s qualifier between T&T and Ecuador.

Cooper arrived in Port-of-Spain on Monday night and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel, the same base of the Ecuador women’s team. But today her heart stays with T&T.

Cooper was the person responsible for setting up the online donation page for the T&T team while in Dallas preparing for the Concacaf Final round. A page dedicated to T&T on her Web site keepernotes.com went on to raise close to US$20,000 for the Women Soca Warriors with donations coming from several fans in the United States and from as far as Singapore, Europe and Asia.

Cooper continued the donation drive which was expected to go through to the Women’s World Cup but ended with T&T’s.

“This team touched a lot of people and became most people’s second favourite in the United States. Women’s football has become very huge in the North American area and I was really hoping that we would have four Concacaf teams at the World Cup including T&T. We are always looking for a way to push Concacaf women’s football,” Cooper said.

“When Randy (Waldrum) reached out for assistance there was no way we could say no and the response has been overwhelming. Their journey has been an incredible one and I am so thrilled to have been part of it.

“Sadly it didn’t end the way we all wanted it but I think there is a great future for women’s football in T&T and the sport in general. Just being part of the whole atmosphere at the Stadium and seeing how the people came together was an amazing spectacle.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:33 AM »
Women Warriors reignite the passion.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

The events of Tuesday evening was definitely a signal of renaissance for T&T football caused by the impact of this country’s national women’s footballers in their decisive Fifa Women’s World Cup qualifying match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain.

As captain Maylee Attin-Johnson and her teammates struggled to come to terms with the 1-0 defeat to Ecuador in the dressing room, Soca Stars Rodney “Benjai” Le Blanc and Olatunji Yearwood did all they could to lift the mood on the outside.

Soca Warrior hitmaker Edghill “Maximus Dan” Thomas [now known as Mx Prime] was on a high like the thousands gathered at the Stadium on the momentous evening.

“This is what it should be like. All different classes and races coming together for a great cause. What I’m experiencing here at the stadium has brought me a lot of joy and inspiration. These players have brought this to us again, just like we did in 2005, there is a real love in the air again,” Thomas said.

Benjai and Olatunji, currently burning up the airwaves with their hits Phenomenal and Ola on the Can Can rhythm, agreed to take the microphones together at the final whistle and expressed their love to the team to help lift their spirits while they were at their lowest.

“I was standing behind the T&T goal and I couldn’t hold back my emotion. T&T and football is very dear to my heart and I felt a strong vibe and passion in there for this game. These are moments that don’t leave us,” Olatunji said.

There was an immediate influx of congratulatory and consolation messages pouring out for Women Warriors on social media via the TTFA’s Facebook and Twitter pages and email accounts. Here are some of them:

Vindon Hadaway wrote: “I haven’t been to a World Cup game in over ten years. This team has piqued my interest and so I made the journey down to stadium like many other thousands of Trinidadians today. Hold your head up high girls, you were magnificent, and a World Cup team in my eyes! T&T loves you regardless.”

Toolah Julien said, “We love you still...Warriors never quit. You have made us proud...God bless you all.”

“This is the start of ah bright future for these ladies and women’s Football in TT. Inspired by them,” Bryan Bernard posted.

“I am not just a supporter, I am a believer. The next World Cup qualifiers will soon roll around and when that time comes we shall be automatic qualifiers. Today we deserve to shed a tear there is reason, next time we shed tears of joy as we establish the reason. Well done Warriors,” said Derryl Porter.

Those who began exiting the venue seconds after Ecuador scored also came in for some bashing from many, for not staying until the end to at least stand by the Randy Waldrum’s team.

Generally though there was a real feeling of national pride, passion and optimism for the future.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 03:07:54 AM »
Mollon needs rest after panic attack
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY).

After giving her all in Tuesday night’s FIFA 2015 Women’s World Cup qualifier against Ecuador, winger Ahkeela Mollon suffered a mild panic attack minutes after the dreaded final whistle ended Trinidad and Tobago’s hopes of securing a place in next year’s esteemed football competition.

Mollon was quickly rushed to the West Shore Medical Hospital by the team’s medical staff having reacted negatively to her squad’s 0-1 loss in the dying minutes of the match.

Following the final whistle, Mollon, like many of her teammates on the pitch, lay in sorrow after a fast-paced and intense clash.

The 29-year-old was warded for a short period and then discharged. According to the official medical report, she suffered a panic attack due to a high level of emotional stress and exhaustion. She was then advised by medical practitioners to rest for one week and limit her thoughts of Tuesday’s encounter in an effort to ensure a speedy and full recovery.

At West Shore Medical, Mollon was shown strong support by several family members and representatives of her management team, The Brazil Link. Upon her admittance to the hospital, “Lady Latapy” rested for a short while and began to slowly recuperate. With the memories of the match still fresh in her mind, she cried a little, but was reminded by her family members that she had conquered greater challenges than this.

Speaking to her manager, Narada Wilson, yesterday, he revealed that Mollon is recovering nicely.

“Based on what the doctors were saying, the panic attack encompassed several factors. The fact that she had a whole season (of competition) this year. From being in Sweden competing in the cold and coming back to Trinidad and training so hard over the past few months. Having such a good game as well, joined with the emotional and physical pressure of the match, and with so much on the line, she seemed to take it really bad and had a minor blackout. She’s gonna be home on bed-rest for a while and taking it light until she fully recovers. She needs at least a two months rest because she’s been playing for nine months straight.”

Wilson said he was shocked Mollon, who has a psychology degree, has been hit so hard by the result that she had to hospitalised.

“Ahkeela is soft-spoken but still always quietly happy. It’s a strange Ahkeela right now simply because of the disappointment. She just a bit sad knowing that she didn’t do what she wanted to do for her country. Ahkeela has a degree in psychology so it was a bit strange how the result affected her. But she, like all the members of the team, gave it their all and it was visible. There were a lot of emotions involved,” he added.

Over the past three years, Mollon had opted to focus on her club career in Sweden and only returned to the national team upon request earlier this year. And while the nation mourns a similar World Cup exit of the 1989 men’s team, Wilson has called on supporters to continuously rally around the women.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

just like 1989 'we almost made it'. This is T&T football

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
Narada, it doh matter whether she has a psychology degree or not ... she's human!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hype does not win a match
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
‘Hype does not win a match’
By Joel Julien (T&T Express)

Women footballers put under pressure, says Warner

EVEN before the starting whistle for Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier was blown, the Women Soca Warriors had already lost the crucial game to Ecuador, former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has said.

Warner said this country’s senior women’s footballers had been put “under pressure” by the “hype” and “other foolishness” generated before the game.

This was a repeat of the mistake made 25 years ago when their male counterparts were in the same position, he said.

Warner made the statements during a telephone interview with the Express yesterday.

A soft goal scored in injury time by Monica Quinterros gave Ecuador a 1-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday night at a sold-out Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.

The victory meant Ecuador clinched the final spot in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup to be held in Canada at the expense of Trinidad and Tobago.

The manner of the loss was reminiscent of the situation experienced by the Strike Squad on November 19, 1989. “I thought that they would have learnt from the experiences of 1989, that you do not count your chickens before they hatch and they (citizens) began to celebrate again, they began to talk.

“I heard the guys on the radio talking as if we had qualified for Canada already, and all I was saying to myself when I heard them with their hype and their foolishness was, ‘Father, forgive them,’ because we were there before and the same thing like 1989, another goalkeeping blunder. What goes around comes around,” Warner said.

Warner slammed the team’s final preparation for the crucial game.

“While the coaching staff of the Ecuador team had a game plan, we had none. All we had was hype and at the end of the day hype does not win a match. If hype used to win a match, we would have been in the World Cup since 1989. What it takes is planning, tact and of course, at the end of the day, some experience,” he said.

“I blame the public, I blame the TTFA (Trinidad and Tobago Football Association) and the officials for trying to build up a hype to put the players under pressure. What they did was put the players under pressure and of course, last but not least, the Prime Minister should have never been there because the Prime Minister went to Brazil and Brazil lost, she of course came to Trinidad and Tobago and it was the same thing,” Warner said.

In July, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar visited Brazil for the World Cup semi-final when its men’s national team was beaten 7-1 by Germany. On Tuesday night, she attended the match at the stadium and was loudly booed as the announcer informed spectators of her presence and just before she met the players on the field.

Warner said the women’s national footballers were being distracted from their mission. Among the distractions was the presentation of a $1.5 million one-off payment to the players last week by Persad-Bissessar, Warner said.

The choice of the Hyatt Regency hotel as the players’ camp was also a distraction, he said.

“Giving the money before the game and, worse again, they put them in a camp at the Hyatt, oh Jesus Christ, at the Hyatt, the best hotel in town, the busiest. They could not have been serious,” Warner said.

“When I see people like the coaches of the past talking about what was happening, I said like they crazy. This team should have been kept in a hotel away from the crowd. This team should have been intimated, but nobody here wants to learn from experience and of course you know I am staying very far from them so I have nothing to say.

“For the whole tour in the US (the final round of World Cup qualifying held in the United States) they only got $500 (to spend), but now at the Hyatt at $500 a minute to get them ready for an important game, they had to be joking, they had to be joking. This team lost before they started and lost because of the hype, the Government, because of the technical staff and, last but not least, because of the Football Fede­ration,” he said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Take a bow, Women Soca Warriors
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
Take a bow, Women Soca Warriors
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

Winning is a joyful experience in almost the same way that losing provides essential lessons for the future.

Unfortunately, despite a courageous and sometimes exciting display of football, the chips did not fall in quite the place that their efforts deserved.

I cannot help but feel a sense of pride for being among the thousands of my people coming together to champion a cause which identifies our love for each other on this sporting occasion.

The game of football is powerful enough to bring a nation together, and if you doubt me, ask the members of the strike squad.

Today, the women soca warriors may be bemoaning the fact that they did not capitalise upon the chances which they created, as often as five times in the first half and another three in the second.

Strange enough, being the realist that I like to be when it comes to football matches, my predictions for Tuesday’s match could have been one where creativity and ball possession by Ecuador would be our team’s biggest challenge.

It was actually the other way around. The movement of the ball from the T&T defence to midfield was smooth, cohesive and lent itself to a formidable unit which had the prospect of achieving its objective—a goal—but it was not to be.

For those of us who followed this team during the qualification process, much of what we saw from central Defenders Arin King and Rhea Belgrave, our playmaker captain Maylee Attin Johnson in midfield and two speedy and skillful strikers in Kennya Cordner and Ahkeela Mollon, offered to this country a wonderful chance of reaching to Canada.

The assessment was accurate. Our central defenders were excellent, both in their communicative ability and responsibilities of winning the ball in a most organised fashion.

At no time did the Ecuadorians appear to create any serious challenge in the first half, especially as the endurance, intensity and ball distribution of Johnson, who ran from one penalty area to the next marshalling her forces into competence.

For the better part of the match, there was evidence of a victory, especially after a half time team discussion produced the necessary corrective measures.

The similar type of game which was based upon the striking power of Cordner needed some type of alternate approach.

The brilliant young striker had missed some early first half opportunities which seemed to have affected her confidence and the time was ripe for the technical staff to change the method of attack, using the build up from the flanks to bring the number of crosses which were effected in the first half.

Cordner has the speed in short distances to outrun the slow turning Ecuador central defence, so it was necessary to bring her into centre forward position and force her opponents to make adjustments.

Incidentally, this quick footed striker reminded me of former national striker Sammy Lewellyn, one of my favourite strikers of years. Two superb goalscorers.

The second change that was necessary was to take the ball into the opponent’s half of the field, so that they will always be required to concentrate on defensive play.

With tired legs on both teams, the path to the opponents’ goal would have been be shorter if they were closer to Ecuador’s penalty area.

From my assessment these factors were lacking, perhaps not because of the coach but lack of implimentation by the players. There were some well served corners and flank free kicks by Karyn Forbes, Arin king, and Mariah Shade which met with too few scoring options because of insufficient players available in the box.

The Warriors had gained maximum possession, more attacking freekicks and a full house at the Stadium as witness, but ended without that all important goal.

Eventually, an unnecessary foul committed just outside the left portion of the penalty area, minutes past full time, saw Kamika Forbes leaving the goalline to catch a crossed ball which she could not reach, and especially when two T&T defenders were well placed to avert danger, causing a terrible anticlimax to what could have been the most memorable sporting day in our history and especially in women’s football.

The process is not completed and I would hope that the financial powers that be will appreciate some more investment in the same direction, when the TTFA can decide to play their own group in Canada 2015.

It is simple. Get four teams to accept friendlies three weeks from the start of the Fifa World Cup 2015.

A choice of Germany, France, Brazil and Argentina would again prove to us that the road to a world cup final may not be far away. It will also prepare our teams for the Olympic qualifiers. This must be done now.

Well done, girls, you have made us proud.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 06:30:21 AM »
Anybody know what de  Ecuador coach and players saying?

And, anyone of allyuh have de game recorded?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 07:37:08 AM »
Best article I have ever read from Alvin. Fantastic stuff.  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Women truly showed their Warrior spirit
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »
Women truly showed their Warrior spirit
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: Even though our Women Soca Warriors fell at the last hurdle of qualifying for the 2015 Women’s World Cup, there are a lot of positives that can be taken forward from their entire qualification campaign. They truly personified the warrior spirit and they won over a lot of fans in the process.

Coach Randy Waldrum and his entire coaching staff must be commended for creating a professional environment that allowed the women to take the skills and lessons learnt from their respective local and university coaches to the next level. The coaching staff helped instill a good work ethic within the team, and it showed on the field.

There are still a couple elements of their game that could do with a bit of tweaking but the women played their hearts out for each other and for TT. I do hope the Government and the TT Football Federation can work out some sort of arrangement so that coach Waldrum can stay with the team and help plot the course for the 2019 World Cup.

Skipper Maylee Attin Johnson truly led the women with distinction. She gave her all on the field and handled all of the media appearances in a truly professional manner. During her interviews she spoke with an air of professionalism and confidence that are lacking in some of our male sportsmen.

I hope the majority of this current squad can somehow stay together in order to get the journey for World Cup 2019 started. However, if any of the women decide to call time on their careers, then as a nation all we can do is say “thank you.”

Our Women Soca Warriors have ignited a spark for women’s football and women’s sport in general in the country. The Government, along with corporate Trinidad and the TTFF, needs to start putting things in place in order to continue the momentum that the women have gathered from this recent campaign. Development programmes must be started, investments must be made, and the TTFF needs to get its house in order and start treating our professional women’s and men’s soccer teams with the respect they deserve, so that they can go out and give their all for the red, white and black every time they step onto a soccer field.

The time for lip service is over. If we truly want to see our national sporting heroes succeed, then things must be properly put in place in order for them to succeed.

Lastly, I thank the Women Soca Warriors for playing like the true champs they are. The bandwagonists will jump off here after this defeat, but fear not, your true fans will continue to rally behind you on the road to World Cup 2019. Keep your heads held high, put in the hard work and effort and you will reap the rewards in the future.

Once the nucleus of this current squad remains intact, and we integrate some fresh new faces down the road, then we will make it. Keep on fighting, stay strong and keep on playing with the spirit of the warriors that each and every one of you are. The road to World Cup 2019 starts now and we stand with you.

Navin T Ramkissoon
via email

1]; } ?>