April 25, 2024, 12:27:20 AM

Author Topic: 2015 Women's World Cup - Canada  (Read 31130 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Women's World Cup - Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
Despite the loss, that Austrailian goal was nice. The ball movement was excellent.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 05:35:43 AM »
Japan defeats Switzerland, but has help of suspect call
Iain MacIntyre (The Vancouver Sun)

VANCOUVER – With Japan’s beautiful, flowing soccer, one-touch passing and quick and constant movement, it probably takes a lot to diminish one of their games.

Referee Lucila Venegas gave it a try.

On what was shaping up to be a magical first night for the Women’s World Cup in Vancouver, Venegas waved her black magic wand in the 28th minute Monday and gave the Japanese a gift penalty they shouldn’t need, but one that changed the tone (and score) of their 1-0 win against Switzerland.

Every officiated sport has questionable calls. After all, this is the land of hockey, which at the highest level is “managed.” But soccer is different in that there are almost two playing fields — the ones inside the 18-yard boxes and one between them — which creates a profound disparity in consequences for good and bad calls alike. Penalty kicks are like automatic goals.

For all their flair and forward drive, Japan didn’t make it 1-0 Monday. Venegas did when the Mexican referee whistled Swiss goalie Gaelle Thalmann for a follow-through collision with Ando Kozue after a terrific save against the Japanese midfielder, who was sent in alone on goal by Yuki Ogimi’s over-the-top ball.

Thalmann, eyes on the ball and bravely committed, could have avoided contact with Kozue had Scotty beamed her aboard the USS Enterprise in the split-second between the save and the collision.

She had every right to challenge for the ball and got a piece of it before crashing into Kozue.

Sadly, the questionable penalty is already a theme in this World Cup, which opened Saturday with Canada winning 1-0 on a contentious injury-time call against China.

A couple of Canadian players described Ukrainian referee Kateryn Monzul’s call as “brave.” That’s one letter longer than the word China would have used, and had that call gone against Canada, well, as a country we’d be reassessing our feelings over Russian czar Vladimir Putin’s plans for Ukraine.

Venegas’ call was only the fourth penalty Monday at BC Place Stadium, where the first game of the first-round doubleheader saw Cameroon score three times from the 12-yard dot in a 6-0 win against overmatched Ecuador.

Hungarian referee Katalin Kulscar got most of the calls right, although the phantom penalty in injury time with the score already 5-0 seemed to be piling it on, especially since Kulscar earlier gave a straight red card to Ecuadoran captain Ligia Moreira for clumsily clipping Cameroonian Gaelle Enganamouit.

Like Japan, Enganamouit didn’t need any help.

The last time I saw Cameroon play was the 1994 men’s World Cup, where a weekend in Palo Alto allowed me to witness the final act of Roger Milla and the finest Afro of Colombian Carlos Valderrama, who had better hair than anyone I’ve yet seen in the women’s tournament. Or ever.

Enganamouit was impressively coiffed, too, a floppy mop of blond topping her powerful frame. No one noticed her hair once she started playing. Enganamouit destroyed Ecuador with her speed and power and shoulders. She clattered through three Ecuadoreans in the first eight minutes, then followed her fouls with a hat trick of goals as Ecuador was embarrassed. Watching Enganamouit and Gabriella Onguene and Genevieve Ngo Mbeleck and Madeleine Ngono Mani skip around, past and through their porous opponents, it was easy to feel sorry for Ecuador and anyone broadcasting play-by-play.

The referee didn’t decide the game; Enganamouit and her long-ball teammates did.

It was an impressive display from 53rd-ranked Cameroon, an unexpected treat for the roughly 5,000 fans who took advantage of both halves of their doubleheader ticket to show up on a sunny Monday afternoon to watch two third-tier teams from countries most people here couldn’t pick out on a map.

Japan-Switzerland was the main event. And unlike most main events, it was going to exceed expectations.

Sure, the reigning-champion Japanese were as expected, full of pace and passing and terrific individual skill. Like left back Rumi Utsugi controlling the ball under pressure on her thigh and juggling it past her opponent. And midfielder Aya Miyama using the outside of her boot at full stride to curl a 40-yard pass into a thin crease between defenders and four one-touch passes in traffic by four Japanese players that would have made Barcelona envious.

But this game was about Switzerland, too, counter-attacking aggressively and generally getting the ball to star striker Ramona Bachmann, whose quick feet and willingness to run at defenders had the Japanese in trouble several times.

Given the confidence with which the Swiss played — and the dominance with which they qualified, outscoring opponents 53-1 in 10 games — it’s hard to believe this is Switzerland’s first trip to the Women’s World Cup.

They went head to head against one of the best teams in the world and lost on a suspect penalty call from a referee who hadn’t the sense to keep out of the way and just let a fabulous game unfold.

It wasn’t the same after the penalty, which was booed by many in the night crowd of 25,942. The timbre was lost. Up 1-0, Japan played more conservatively. The Swiss did their best, but couldn’t score, although Bachmann should have in stoppage time when she side-footed over the bar from 15 yards after the ball fell to her feet from a Japanese clearance. It’s like the soccer gods tried to even the score. As if they knew.

Match Highlights

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »
From the article "Japan defeats Switzerland, but has help of suspect call" above:

Thalmann, eyes on the ball and bravely committed, could have avoided contact with Kozue had Scotty beamed her aboard the USS Enterprise in the split-second between the save and the collision.

She had every right to challenge for the ball and got a piece of it before crashing into Kozue.

Sadly, the questionable penalty is already a theme in this World Cup, which opened Saturday with Canada winning 1-0 on a contentious injury-time call against China.

A couple of Canadian players described Ukrainian referee Kateryn Monzul’s call as “brave.”

Harder to argue about the penalty China conceded. The timing was unfortunate, but the wrestling was genuine. However, the penalty the Swiss suffered is a bit more interesting. Perhaps, yuh might find it difficult to locate a member of the "goalkeepers union" in agreement with that call, but there are strikers who would be equally as surprised to be awarded a penalty in that situation.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:19 AM »
Half time commentator put it nicely... if that ball was along the ground as opposed to in the air, that call would never have been made.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »

2. The women's game is more about physical mismatches than good football. The only team that can make up for the size disadvantage is Brazil.

I eh know nah ...

This is one reason I found Australia's contribution today to be promising. They were very dynamic with and without the ball, and most of what occurred in that game was about the ball (how it was protected, how/where it was delivered, and when), rather than about size and physicality.

A counter-contention would be that Japan managed to win the last edition of the Cup despite not being giants. Perhaps with the Brazilians, it's that the women more closely mirror the men in certain stylistic ways.

During this tournament, we will see good football and some bad football (particularly in games where there is a team with pronounced technical deficiencies e.g. Ivory Coast yesterday), but I expect to see more decent football than bad football.

We shouldn't expect women's football to be a precise mirror image of the men's game.

The other area where there has been a noticeable gap is on the tactical side (Nigeria today). Why was no substitution employed when the attacking players were clearly spent? Also failure to either use the right flank to break down Sweden or failure to address with the players the problem the team was experiencing regarding retaining possession in midfield. Not to mention, something as basic as what occurred on the two corners on which NGR conceded goals. For all of Oshoala's speed and physicality that troubled the Swedes, a lot of other variables came into play.

The "women's game" is evolving.

I think it is a mirror of the men's game   -  Men's NCAA soccer. Lots of running and graft. Not so much craft and creativity.

I wasn't as complete as I should have been in my comment. The physical difference is not just a size advantage, but strength and speed as well. My comment about Brazil was meant to indicate that they were equipped to overcome that particular challenge.

We will see as the tournament goes on and the weaker teams depart if the games change.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
Le Sommer strike sees France edge England
FIFA.com

A stunning first-half strike from Eugenie Le Sommer was the difference as France edged England 1-0 to open Group F play in Moncton at the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™.

The two European sides battled less than ideal weather conditions in New Brunswick as the quality of the match was affected by the constant rain and wind. But France, who have not lost to England since 1974, were determined to begin their Canada 2015 campaign brightly, and they owe the three points to star striker Le Sommer, who’s 29th minute effort was a rare highlight in a tightly contested, physical match.

France looked to be the stronger side throughout the game, but there were few scoring chances and the two goalkeepers were rarely tested. Louisa Necib’s free-kick gave England’s Karen Bardsley a rare workout early on, but England’s tough backline kept Les Bleues at bay. That is, until Le Sommer broke the deadlock.

Gaetane Thiney benefited from a defensive miscue by the Three Lionesses, and the France No17 set Le Sommer up perfectly, whose powerful drive left Bardsley with no chance.

After the break, Le Sommer had several chances to make it 2-0, but the No9 failed to hit the target. England struggled to retain possession in their attacking third and caused few problems for the French backline. Coach Mark Sampson brought on a few offensive-minded substitutes to try and find an equaliser, but Sarah Bouhaddi was able to keep a clean sheet and put Les Bleues – at least temporarily – atop Group F. 

Match Highlights

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »
I think it is a mirror of the men's game   -  Men's NCAA soccer. Lots of running and graft. Not so much craft and creativity.

I wasn't as complete as I should have been in my comment. The physical difference is not just a size advantage, but strength and speed as well. My comment about Brazil was meant to indicate that they were equipped to overcome that particular challenge.

We will see as the tournament goes on and the weaker teams depart if the games change.

There is definitely an issue with this. Probably most evident in midfield.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
Spain is using Celia Jimenez as their right back. Saw her play in the D-I NJCCA Championship tourney a year and a half ago, and she was a forward (as a freshman). And, an effective one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »
Cameroon 6, Ecuador -0, full time.  Wonder if we would have put up a better fight.

I think the answer is "yes". Hate to bring this up, but we wasted several chances against Ecuador. In the end, it came down to the header that was converted off that free kick. At that point, it's a game of inches. Recognition counts. Concentration counts. However, on balance, my assessment is that we are collectively a more advanced team than Ecuador (under Waldrum).

I think we have to look at the Costa Rica game as the turning point (unconverted penalties). We hung with them. Again another inches situation with the penalties (to a degree because there is ground to be more critical on a granular level). We win, we qualify directly. Missed opportunity.

I believe Waldrum would have been prepared and our scorelines would have been respectable (as was the experience during qualifying).

And yuh know what? IMV, had we beaten Costa Rica, and Costa Rica lost in the 3rd place match versus Mexico (which is the typical outcome when both teams meet) ... then Costa Rica prevails versus Ecuador, and Ecuador is outside looking in.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:39:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »
I know this is wrong eh, but when I watch the South Korean goalie, the first thing that come to mind is The Grudge, or The Ring.

Maybe is the lipstick making her look extra pale.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:34:00 PM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
Nice dive by Formiga

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
I know this is wrong eh, but when I watch the South Korean goalie, the first thing that come to mind is The Grudge, or The Ring.

All of the players seem to be wearing that old school white face cosmetic that used to be de lick traditionally in Korea. Not saying this is the issue today, but historically the white face thing has also been tied to skin lightening preferences and how one shows up at certain formal situations.

Earlier I was surprised at how much makeup Louisa Necib was wearing to play. But that might have to do with showing up at the "office".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:48:39 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »

If yuh check it good...de whole squad have ah kinda powder chalk ting smattered all over dey face

I thinkin it may be a cultural..goin to battle... kinda good luck ting,, me eh know.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »

If yuh check it good...de whole squad have ah kinda powder chalk ting smattered all over dey face

I thinkin it may be a cultural..goin to battle... kinda good luck ting,, me eh know.

All of the players seem to be wearing that old school white face cosmetic that used to be de lick traditionally in Korea. Not saying this is the issue today, but historically the white face thing has also been tied to skin lightening preferences and how one shows up at certain formal situations.

Earlier I was surprised at how much makeup Louisa Necib was wearing to play. But that might have to do with showing up at the "office".

They could wear what they want as long as I ent see none of them crawling on mih ceiling when I wake up in the night.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2015, 07:01:21 PM »
Yuh hadda like how the Brazilian women sporting de ***** and dey eh win a single WC yet.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
Nice dive by Formiga

Her nickname is "ant". She must like de ground. :)

Seriously doh ... she sold that well by extending her right leg and hooking it around the defender's leg. The attacking player on Colombia's missed penalty versus the US in the U-20 competition bested her: he used his left foot to make his defender fall, and because the defender had his hands on him, it was an easy sell. If you just look at the hands, you doh see, but the feet tell the story. Very, very crafty. The size mismatch alone tells you Acosta wasn't pulling down that Colombian player.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
Spain v. Costa Rica: Entertaining battle sees debutants draw
FIFA.com

The battle of the Group E debutants saw a profligate Spain fail to find their way past a sturdy Costa Rican defence in a 1-1 draw.

Vicky Losada scored Spain's first ever FIFA Women's World Cup™ goal but Raquel Rodriguez Cedeno equalised moments later. A succession of chances followed for Spain in the second half, but Las Ticas stood firm.

Spain's landmark goal was testament to the technical ability of Losada. Sonia Bermudez delivered the ball into the penalty area after working a short corner. Losada controlled superbly with her right foot before sending a measured shot past Dinnia Diaz in the Costa Rican goal.

Spanish celebrations were short-lived though, as Costa Rica grabbed a historic goal of their own almost immediately. Direct from the restart, Wendy Acosta sent a long ball down the left flank. Lixy Rodriguez burst onto the excellent control from Carolina Venegas, and jinked past Irene Paredes in the Spanish penalty area. Her cross found Rodriguez Cedeno free, who tapped home with ease.

After the break, Spain enjoyed most of the possession, and the majority of clear-cut chances. Shortly after interval, Bermudez worked her way down the Spanish left and found Natalia Pablos in the centre of the penalty area. The No7 got the ball stuck underneath her feet though, and Acosta cleared away from danger.

La Roja captain Boquete became increasingly influential as the game wore on. After charging down a Costa Rican clearance, she burst free down the Spanish right, before cutting in and finding Jennifer Hermoso with a clear sight of goal. The No10 composed herself, but hit her sidefooted shot wide of the target.

A brilliant Boquete run then forged another opportunity for Spain, playing in Bermudez, but the diminutive No8's poked effort flew inches wide of Diaz's left-hand post. Boquete and Pablos had late chances to grab a winner for Spain, but they could not breach the sturdy Costa Rican defence, with Diaz pulling off a number of impressive saves.

Costa Rica held out for the remainder, and will go into their second game against Korea Republic on Saturday full of confidence, while Spain will surely have to be more clinical to get anything from Marta's Brazil in their second game.

Match Highlights
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:34:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
Colombia v. Mexico: Montoya stunner denies historic win for Mexico
FIFA.com

Mexico seemed set for their maiden FIFA Women’s World Cup™ win only for Colombia’s Daniela Montoya to score a with a perfect late strike for a 1-1 draw in Moncton. A lone first-half goal from Veronica Perez had put El Tri on target for a first win in their seventh match at this level.

Mexico started brightly with good intensity and drive in awkward windy conditions in Moncton. Yet Colombia pushed their way back into contention showing the kind of trademark resilience that they had on display at Germany 2011.

Attacking outlet Yoreli Rincon broke clear and coolly finished only to be denied by the offside flag, while Lady Andrade glanced a header just wide. Mexico were constantly dangerous from set-pieces and it was a corner from Veronica Perez that brought about the goal with Colombia goalkeeper Stefany Castano only able to palm it onto the crossbar with the ball crossing the line, allowing the use of goal-line technology for the first time at the Women’s World Cup.

A similar moment in the second half from Colombia brought about a different outcome as Rincon curled a free-kick from the sideline which was tipped onto the far post by Cecilia Santiago. The match continued at good intensity though Mexico started to gain greater ascendency and they had several chances to extend their lead, notably through Renae Cuellar.

Then Montoya popped with eight minutes to unleash a perfect strike from just outside the penalty area which went in off the underside of the crossbar. There was still time for Mexico’s Charlyn Corral to bundle the ball over the line during injury time only for the goal to be chalked off due to an earlier infringement.

Match Highlights

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »

Marta, Formiga break records in Brazil win
FIFA.com

It was a night for the history-makers in Montreal, as Marta and Formiga scored record-breaking goals for Brazil in their 2-0 win over Korea Republic. Formiga's first-half opener saw her become the oldest ever FIFA Women's World Cup™ goalscorer, and Marta's second-half penalty sent her clear of Birgit Prinz as the record goalscorer in the tournament's history.

Brazil began brightly. Fabiana, a constant threat down the Selecao right, struck the crossbar in the opening exchanges with a thunderous long range drive. The yellow shirts continued to flood forwards, but it was a mistake from the Korean backline that allowed Formiga her record-breaking goal.

Cristiane dashed through the Korean midfield and into the Brazilian final third, but the ball ran away from her following a heavy touch. However, Kim Doyeon underhit her backpass and Formiga raced onto the loose ball, showing a sharpness that belied her 37 years to poke past the onrushing Kim Jungmi.

The second half brought the goal that the expectant Brazilian fans had been hoping they would witness. Formiga was involved once more, bursting into the Korean penalty area before being felled by the Taeguk Ladies' captain Cho Sohyun. Brazil's iconic skipper stepped up, and Marta coolly slotted home her 15th Women's World Cup goal almost 12 years after she scored her first which, as fate would have it, was also from the penalty spot against Korea Republic around 500 miles south in Washington DC.

Yoon Dukyeo's side failed to muster many chances of their own, with Jeon Gaeul seeing an effort deflected wide after good work by Ji Soyun.

But it was to be Marta's moment and Formiga's fantasy on an evening that set Vadao's side up well ahead of a tricky game against Spain, while Korea Republic will look to raise themselves for Saturday's clash against Costa Rica.

Match Highlights

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
So ... Pellerud's Norway just salvaged a draw versus Germany courtesy a well-executed free kick ... HOWEVER, aside from that Norway looked like tata. Frankly, the Trinidad & Tobago I saw in November/December would have stretched Norway. We seriously need to exit the PanAm games with a medal.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
Thailand trying to let Ivory Coast know what time it is ...

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
Thailand trying to let Ivory Coast know what time it is ...

Thailand are lucky to come away with the win. Their last goal was clearly offside and Ivory Coast could have been at least 2-3 goals better had it not been for the post. Good competitive game nevertheless.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
Lightening stopped the Canada-NZ game. About 10 mins into the game.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
Got so absorbed with the late developments with Thailand and CIV that I forgot to confirm the start time of the Chile Ecuador game ... steups. But these last few minutes of Ray Hudson are making up for it ... De man waxing warm on Shakespeare. Minutes before he was on geometry. Stellar.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »
Was on my way to the Canada game but a storm and traffic jam got my plans out of wack.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
Was on my way to the Canada game but a storm and traffic jam got my plans out of wack.

Last minute as usual eh A.B  :justkidding:

Are you making the trip to Toronto to watch the Pan Am's
We can tailgate  :beermug:

Hope all is well

Cheers

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
Norway earn hard-fought draw with Germans
FIFA.com

Norway equalised in the second-half to disrupt a dominant German display as the two teams settled for a 1-1 draw, leaving everything to play for in the final matches of Group B at the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™.

Germany enjoyed a lion’s share of possession in the first half as Norway struggled to create any attacking chances in their final third. The Germans found themselves ahead quickly, and rather easily, after Dzsenifer Marozsan’s long range effort could not be controlled by Norway goalkeeper Ingrid Hjelmseth as Anja Mittag was at hand to tap in the rebound.

Marozsan, who missed Germany’s first match due to injury, was impressive throughout the first half as Silvia Neid’s side continued to threaten Norway’s backline, but the Scandinavians held strong. Alexandra Popp came closest to doubling Germany’s lead with a flashing header that went just went wide of the far post from ten yards.

Isabell Herlovsen nearly scored Norway’s equaliser just before the break after controlling a long ball in between two defenders, but her close-range strike was parried away by Nadine Angerer. However, it was Maren Mjelde who put Norway on level terms on the hour mark with a superb free-kick on the edge of the penalty area. Mjelde, who saw her penalty saved in Norway’s first match against Thailand, made no mistake and masterfully sent the ball curling over the wall and into the top corner, leaving Angerer with no chance.

That strike inspired the Norwegians to find a winner, which would have been a mighty shock to the top ranked team in the women’s game, but neither team could find the breakthrough they were looking for. Instead, the two teams took a point apiece, which creates several interesting possibilities in terms of two – or possibly three – teams from Group B reaching the Round of 16.

Match Highlights

Silvia Neid, Germany coach
We played a really good first half and that was a good situation to be in against a strong opponent like Norway. However, we failed to score a second or third goal - and we had opportunities - and that would have allowed us a calmer second half. We just didn't play as well in the second half, there were more gaps, and the opponent seized their opportunity. When we had the ball, we had too many bad passes - in the midfield, at the back, and up front - and then, Norway gained hope. We tried to go through the middle, where there was no room at all, whereas in the first half we played well out wide. All in all, looking at the stats, we were the better team.

Even Pellerud, Norway coach
I thought we had developed a really good game plan before the match, but nothing worked in the first half. I'm very pleased with the second half, and of course with the result. At half-time, for me, it was not about changing the game plan, but more about changing the attitude of the team. (Solveig Gulbranson's half-time entrance) changed the whole outlook and approach of her team-mates - they were confident passing in the midfield to her, and she has a good presence. The end result was fair, but we were lucky - (Germany) could have killed this game in the first half.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 09:14:44 PM »
Thailand complete Côte d’Ivoire comeback
FIFA.com

After jumping out to a quick 1-0 lead, Côte d’Ivoire allowed three unanswered goals before scoring a late consolation as Thailand secured a historic 3-2 win, marking the first points the Asian side have recorded at a FIFA Women’s World Cup™.

Côte d’Ivoire started brightly, finding their way onto the scoresheet only four minutes into the match. After a scramble in the middle of Thailand’s penalty area and a couple of failed clearances, Ange Nguessan got the last touch with an acrobatic finish to find the back of the net for Côte d’Ivoire’s first-ever goal at the Women’s World Cup. Despite the early lead, Thailand slowly began to assert themselves into the match and their hard work paid off before too long.

Anootsara Maijarern played in a good ball into the path of the on-rushing Orathai Srimanee who did well to volley past Dominique Thiamale, good for Thailand’s first-ever goal in the competition. A minute into first-half stoppage time, Ines Nrehy had a wide-open goal to tap into to give Les Elephantes the lead, but she mishit her effort, which crashed off the post and away from danger.

Côte d’Ivoire would rue that missed opportunity as Thailand took the lead with a well-crafted goal on the stroke of half-time. An inch-perfect cross found Srimanee – who celebrates her 27th birthday tomorrow - unmarked in the middle of the area and her snapping header rattled off the underside of the crossbar, which goal-line technology confirmed was indeed a goal.

Thailand substitute Thanatta Chawong scored a scrappy goal after a defensive miscue between Thiamale and her backline to make the three points safe, despite Josee Nahi setting up a nervy finish after making it 3-2 with a brilliant solo run through the middle of the Thai defence and a calm finish past Waraporn Boonsing. Les Elephants hit the woodwork for a third time on the night in the final minutes and Nguessan nearly equalised on the last kick of the game but the scoreline stood firm in Thailand’s favour.

Match Highlights

Clementine Toure, Côte d'Ivoire coach
After a tough loss against Germany, we gave everything tonight to try and get back in the competition, but it wasn't enough. It's a sad night for us. We had three crossbars, and that's the bad luck we had against us tonight. At the end of the day, we are lacking goals - it's sad for our country, because we could have won that game, but we just couldn't finish. Beyond this World Cup, we are looking to be a competitive World Cup side in future competitions.

Nuengrutai Srathongvian, Thailand coach
It's the first three points for our country - we are very lucky, because even though we had less attacking chances, we got our first victory in our country's history. We respect Ivory Coast, they played very well. We are honoured to be playing the best team in the world, Germany, in our next match, and will do our absolute best to win.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
Last-ditch China edge Netherlands
FIFA.com

An injury-time winner from Lisi Wang gave China PR a deserved 1-0 win over Netherlands at the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015™ just as it looked like the Europeans would hang on for an unlikely point.

The Chinese comfortably dominated the possession and goalscoring statistics but were unable to give their noisy support a goal to celebrate until Wang’s 91st minute intervention. The contest started in bright open fashion even if gilt-edged goalscoring chances were at a premium.

Netherlands striker Vivianne Miedema had a rare though brief sight of goal midway through the half after latching onto a superb Manon Melis pass but the teenage starlet could only stab her shot wide under pressure. Just as the Oranje looked like they might be grabbing the ascendency, suddenly it was China looking more likely to break the deadlock.

The ever-dangerous Peng Han impressively danced into the box and her shot from 15 yards was pushed over the bar by Sari Van Veenendaal. Within two minutes Guixin Ren headed on goal from close range but could get no power, although the effort still needed a goalline catch from Van Veenendaal.

China dominated significant periods of the second half though the Netherlands occasionally looked a chance to score in the latter stages with their always lively front-three. Jiali Tang had a great chance soon after the break after cutting in from the left inside the penalty area but she shot straight at Van Veenendaal who stood tall to push the ball away.

Midway through the half Tang let fly with a venomous shot from 25 yards which dipped onto the crossbar and bounced away to safety. Substitute Jun Ma stabbed a close-range volley over the crossbar from close range following a sweet passing movement in what was arguably the best chance of the game.   Then Lisi made something out of nothing by latching onto a long ball after ghosting in behind the defence to stab home for a deserved winner.

Match Highlights

Hao Wei, China PR coach
We created lots of scoring opportunities. Our players were under a lot of pressure after losing the first match. Today they showcased their true abilities and I am so proud of them. We should have scored more although this team is very young and lacks international experience. However, they executed the game plan well and I’m delighted with their performance.

Roger Reijners, Netherlands coach
We definitely performed as we should at the start of the game. After a period we became separated on the pitch allowing China to gain control of the midfield. We needed to become more compact. China are an organised team and if you give you opponent this much space then it is normal they will be better.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »
20 Questions with Canadian goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc: Women’s World Cup, being bullied as a child and rivalry with ‘big brother’ U.S.
Sean Fitz-Gerald (National Post).

TORONTO – Karina LeBlanc had a cough, and the sniffles, and a raspy voice. It was a cold, and it was a bad time for a cold. She had appointments in the morning, soccer practice in the afternoon and the final international tournament of her career only a few days away.
Sportsnet rivalry, crazy hockey parents and a run-in with Phil Esposito: 20 Questions with TSN's Bob McKenzie

The cold had already taken a toll. In a quiet moment, in the courtyard of an upscale hotel in downtown Toronto, LeBlanc pulled out her mobile phone to show video footage from a television interview she had done earlier, in which she tried to sing through the cold.

“I should never have done that,” she said, smiling wearily. “Never, ever.”

Earlier in the trip, LeBlanc had announced she would retire from the Canadian women’s team after the World Cup, which begins this weekend. At 35, she has spent almost all of her adult life wearing the jersey of her adopted home, having moved to British Columbia from Dominica with her family when she was eight.

The veteran goalkeeper is a charter member of the generation of women who transformed the program, from a team playing for friends and family into one playing in front of sold-out stadiums, with national name recognition and a laudable trophy case. She was on the team that won bronze at the 2012 London Olympics, and she made the saves in penalties to help give Canada the gold medal at the 2011 Pan American Games in Mexico.

This will be her fifth World Cup appearance. In retirement, she will almost certainly land somewhere in television, where she has seemed nearly as comfortable as she has in goal.

“It’s been the best job ever,” LeBlanc said. “The toughest part will be walking away from these ladies.”

Before she walked away from the hotel, LeBlanc (KL) took time to answer 20 Questions from National Post, talking about Celine Dion, being bullied as a new Canadian, and the possibility of transferring her goaltending skills onto the ice.

1. The Power of Love?
KL: Oh boy. How did The Power of Love come about? You know, it’s just one of those things, after every game, you always play a slower song. We love Celine Dion. And that’s a song that everybody seemed to know. It caught on. And I think it’s a combination of loving Celine Dion and a song that everybody knew. And we love each other.

2. What did the team play after winning bronze at the 2012 Olympics?
KL: The Power of Love.

3. What is the strangest autograph request you’ve gotten since that win?
KL: Oh my god. Different body parts. That would be the best way to say that. Certain body parts, I go, ‘ah, no, no thanks.’

4. You are known for your varied hairstyles: How long does it take to prepare?
KL: [coughs, sniffles] I’ve mastered it a bit, now. So I can probably do my hair in about 15 minutes, which is pretty cool. Or, sometimes, people think I plan it, and it’s just not combed. [laughs]

5. Goalies are generally known for their quirks and superstitions. What are yours?
KL: Hm. I like to listen to a little bit of gospel and reggae before a game to just chill me out, because I have a lot of energy. Then, right around game time, just start getting with the team and dancing and being loud. But I like to visualize when I’m back in the hotel, and write a little note of who I’m going to be that day. I also have to have something pink on, as well, for breast cancer awareness.

6. Give me the best place in Canada for Dominican food.
KL: Oh, geez. I’m probably going to have to say one of my aunts’ houses. It’s tough to find. There’s no actual restaurant.

7. What is a good Dominican dish?
KL: A good Dominican dish? People are not going to like this: They do their mac and cheese different. It’s a little fattier than the Canadian way of doing it, but it tastes amazing. I think Dominican food is similar to Jamaican food. Very spicy. You season your food at least the night before, before you cook it.

8. What did your parents give up when they left Dominica?
KL: Oh, my parents gave up everything. My dad had a great job. He was the GM of a bank, and he was also on a couple of boards. My mother was a grammar teacher and a mentor to so many people … they sacrificed everything for us, to give us the opportunity to be able to come to Canada so that we could have opportunity.

9. You studied English at a high level in Dominica, and you were eight when your family moved to Canada. So why did your school send you to ESL classes?
KL: I was this shy, quiet kid, so you barely got me to speak. And then, my accent was so thick. People didn’t quite understand me. You have to understand, there weren’t many people coming from the Caribbean to live in Maple Ridge. So when I did speak, it just didn’t come across correct. I would have to say that’s why.

10. I’ve read you were bullied in those early days.
KL: Yes. I didn’t fit in. I was taller than other kids. Obviously, there were only a few — not in my class — but in my school, there were maybe two or three black kids. So I was different. I didn’t speak. I had a firecracker put in my hand in the first couple days I was at school. The kids laughed. I mean, I’d never seen a firecracker before, so it went off in my hand and all the kids laughed at me. I was an outsider. I actually hated it. I remember going home and telling my mom how much I hated them for bringing us here. Because my dad worked five hours away, so we only saw him on the weekends. That was the only job he could get. And my mother, because her accent was so thick, she couldn’t even get a good substitute-teaching job. So it was a struggle. We had our home in the city in Dominica, which was on one acre of land, and then our country home, which was on 10 acres of land. And then we were living in two-bedroom apartment. We went from comfortable to uncomfortable very quickly.

11. For people who know you now, how surprising is it for them to hear you were shy as a child?
KL: [laughs] Everyone just says ‘yeah, right.’ Every single person … I don’t know why it was. I think I was just observing the world, and I hadn’t found myself quite yet. I hadn’t found my place in the world yet. I think that’s where sports stepped in for me and made a huge difference. Because it made me feel like I belonged, and it gave me a connection to something where I was comfortable.

12. Why does Christine Sinclair, one of the best players in the world, shun the spotlight?
KL: It’s just who she is. She’s a humble, strong, intelligent woman. I think that’s just who she is. Even when we’re all hanging out, she’s not the loud one — surprise, surprise, probably because I’m the one who’s a little loud. I mean, I’ve known Sincy for 12 or 14 years now, and the best way to describe her is, she’s Sincy. I think it should be a new term. She’s Sincy.

13. You have posted a series of behind-the-scenes videos online — under the banner of KK Cam — has she always been a willing co-star?
KL: Nope. [coughs] Not at all. You can see it in the KK Cam, she’s just rolling her eyes at me saying, ‘what are you doing now?’ Unfortunately, I think my teammates have come to expect that from me. [smiles] … I know Sincy knows if I come around the corner with a camera, she’s like, ‘what now?’ But she’ll still do the stuff because she knows it’s out of complete innocence. It’s just about people getting to know who we are. And that’s why the KK Cam started. I was like, ‘you guys, people really want to know who we are, this is what people connect with.’ Sincy only does stuff when she wants to do it.

14. Given the success of the team, why don’t we see players associated with more brands and starring in more television commercials in Canada?
KL: Hm. That’s a good question. I’m hoping it’s just a matter of time, at this point. With the World Cup in this country, people are starting to truly see what women’s soccer is, how it’s grown. When I started, there were like 46 people in the stands, family and friends. Now, we’re selling out stadiums. When we flew into Toronto, the kids are waiting and freaking out and they can’t even get the words out. It’s people our age now, it’s mothers and fathers and CEOs. I get to go out and do some motivational talks to companies, and they care to listen. So I think that market is starting to understand the influence we can have. And that’s what this World Cup is about, that we’re driven by inspiring a nation.

15. Is it fair that the women have to compete on artificial turf this summer?
KL: For us as a team, we knew that was the situation coming in, so it was more so an issue that other people were making. It was almost like we knew that was what it was, so it was onto the next task. John Herdman was always saying, ‘focus on the next task, don’t get overwhelmed with what everybody else is doing.’ For us, obviously, we’d love grass. I mean, our entire team would by lying if we said we didn’t love playing on grass. But the issue at hand is being successful and winning a World Cup at home.

16. What is the one thing you cannot travel without?
KL: My music. Absolutely.

17. While training in Beijing, in 2007, you said the air was so bad “you find it’s almost like there’s phlegm in your throat.” What’s the most challenging destination you’ve had to visit while playing for Canada?
KL: [sniffles] It just felt like you always had a cold. You know, there’s beauty in every place we’ve been. But I’d have to say it was either that, or when it’s, like, 40 degrees, and we’re doing fitness.

18. Ottawa Senators fans gave you a standing ovation during a game in February: How good of a goalie are you on the ice?
KL: Um, Sean, I don’t know if I’d be a good goalie on ice. I can skate, but I can’t stop. So I’d probably push off, and you’d see me hit the side of the rink. I don’t think I would be very good. Maybe if you put me in runners, that would be good. I think my reaction time would be great, whenever I was actually in the frame of the goal.

19. The Canadian women brawled with the Americans before Sochi. Is the rivalry with the U.S. as intense on the field?
KL: [coughs into right sleeve, sniffles] I’m going to have to say yes. Canada and the U.S.A.; it’s like the U.S. is the big brother that continues to beat you, you know? Women’s hockey has had success in beating them, so there’s a bit of a difference there. When we watch those hockey games, the Canada/U.S. games, it’s almost like we connect so well with the teams. It’s like, ‘come on!’ And when they won, it’s almost like, ‘Yeah! We can do it now.’ It becomes personal. There’s a story there. Obviously, the Olympics made it an even bigger story. I think a Canada/U.S.A. final would be fantastic for this World Cup.

20. Complete the following sentence: Old goalkeepers never die, they just …
KL: Get wiser.

1]; } ?>