March 28, 2024, 06:09:17 AM

Author Topic: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.  (Read 82433 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2015, 07:52:17 AM »
You shouldn't start your day with nonsense. As it's "no coincidence", what is it attributable to?

I'd imagine the reason the likes of Panama, Honduras, and Costa Rica has more players of African descent on their national team is because of the makeup of their population. El Salvador and Guatemala has significantly less African ancestry than the big three UNCAF teams. It would make sense to reason therefore that the domestic leagues in both El Salvador and ?Guatemala has less of these players.... and as a result, they have a harder time matching up with the very physical and athletics nature of such players. Of course, I can be wrong, have been many times in the past. 

You probably reading too much between the lines. Its clear cut - Its no coincidence that Guatemala and El Salvador has not had much success in recent times..., Guatemala has yet to qualify for a senior Men's world cup, while el Salvador last qualified some 40 years ago. the top three UNCAF teams composition tells the picture. You don't have to agree. Note Edison Cavani and Carlos Ruiz comments about Jamaica and T&T recently to the press.  USA and Canada following suit as well. Mexico is an anomaly.

Look at the current gold cup group standings, surprise, two Caribbean teams are at the top of two of the three groups.

You don't have to agree with my assessment... its just an opinion.

???

Still trying to see how you see race (black players) as being informative or telling or instructive.

What am I reading into it? That Guatemala's program hasn't achieved success because they lack black players? Same thing with El Salvador? That seems to be your assertion.

I'm aware of Cavani's comment (just can't believe you're using his comment in serious conversation). What did Ruiz have to say?

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »
???

Still trying to see how you see race (black players) as being informative or telling or instructive.

What am I reading into it? That Guatemala's program hasn't achieved success because they lack black players? Same thing with El Salvador? That seems to be your assertion.

I'm aware of Cavani's comment (just can't believe you're using his comment in serious conversation). What did Ruiz have to say?

Its not specifically an issue of race, its more to do with them not being able to cope with the physical, athletic/speedy style of the Caribbean teams, and the elite UNCAF teams(HON, PAN, CRC), in general.

you reading too much between the lines.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2015, 09:38:43 AM »
Don't you guys agree with me that a CFU team can win  it this year or at the very least has a best chance of win it more than ever..?

Agreed, with the exception of Cuba, who reportedly are having internal issues, id say the Caribbean teams have so far looked good at the tournament. Haiti might have had the toughest of the three groups (PAN, HON, USA) fact that you are still in contention with just one round to go in the prelims is a feather in your cap.

It will get tougher in the later rounds, plus as always we will have to be mindful of the officials, as we are perceived to be overly physical.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2015, 09:56:27 AM »
???

Its not specifically an issue of race, its more to do with them not being able to cope with the physical, athletic/speedy style of the Caribbean teams, and the elite UNCAF teams(HON, PAN, CRC), in general.

you reading too much between the lines.

Don't start backpedaling now. Have we not always been physical, athletic and speedy? Why didn't it matter to them before? What does history show?

Two words come to mind: false positive.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:58:49 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:35 AM »
Don't start backpedaling now. Have we not always been physical, athletic and speedy? Why didn't it matter to them before? What does history show?

Let me help you out. Stats don't lie brother.

Guate vs Jamaica (90% winning record for Jamaica)
http://www.soccerpunter.com/soccer-statistics/N-C-America/WC-Qualification-CONCACAF-2014-Brazil/head_to_head_statistics/all/1319_Jamaica/1094_Guatemala

Guate vs T&T (overall winning record for T&T)
http://www.soccerpunter.com/soccer-statistics/N-C-America/CONCACAF-Gold-Cup-2015/head_to_head_statistics/all/2210_Trinidad_and_Tobago/1094_Guatemala

Ill dig up the El Salvador stats in a few

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
Last I checked, Mexico doesn't have many, if any, players of African descent in their national team or domestic leagues.

They obviously cope quite well with the "physical, atthletic/speedy style of the Caribbean teams"

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Last I checked, Mexico doesn't have many, if any, players of African descent in their national team or domestic leagues.

They obviously cope quite well with the "physical, atthletic/speedy style of the Caribbean teams"

That's an interesting point.  I pointed out earlier in this thread that they are an anomaly...they are simply put better than all the other CONCACAF nations backed by one of the strongest domestic leagues outside of Europe. In fact if Mexico were to join CONMEBOL, I believe they would still be regulars at the world cup, albeit perhaps not as regularly as they do from CONCACAF.  But they do have theor fair share of issues against fast, rugged style of play...i believe honduras had has a decent string of results against them in recent years.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Soooo yea....don't mind me, I'm just trying to figure out what section we're gonna be in and if we're tailgating. I live in Brooklyn and got my car so I can bring some stuff if y'all need me to. Gonna be a fun day no matter who we play.

:beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
Mexico is only an anomaly because it serves your position. How anomalous is Belize?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Soooo yea....don't mind me, I'm just trying to figure out what section we're gonna be in and if we're tailgating. I live in Brooklyn and got my car so I can bring some stuff if y'all need me to. Gonna be a fun day no matter who we play.

:beermug:

Agreed brother... We should start organizing a lime from now.. :beermug:

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
 truehaitian why isn't Herve Bazile playing? He could have helped Haiti, it seems like you lack that calmness in the final third.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »
Goal Haiti

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »
Off topics a little my fellow caribbeans. First, I would congratualte T&T on their safe and conving passage into the second round. Job well done!

I've been watching Gold cup since day I, I always felt  and believed in the past that Gold are made and set up for USA and Mexico to win it. This the first time watching the gold cup that I truly believe a Caribbean team can win it. After looking at Mexico(Last night) and the US VS Haiti and Honduras.. I really believe T&T and / or Jamaica can beat both teams in the semis as well as Haiti(if they make it in the next round). Wouldn't that be nice to see an all out CFU team Gold cup finals and Mexico  and the US out for the first time. I will even be happy to see, just a CFU team in the finals.

Don't you guys agree with me that a CFU team can win  it this year or at the very least has a best chance of win it more than ever..?
that would be great, but the reality is that would be an empty stadium for the final and concacaf would not risk losing the kind of cash. either mexico the the united states has to be in the final for it to work especially when caribbean people don't really care to support football anymore.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »
Mexico is only an anomaly because it serves your position. How anomalous is Belize?

Belize? That's stretching it a bit.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

Why? They're in Central America ... have a population meeting the demographics and physical/athletics/speed ... and play Guatemala now and again.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »

Belize has a pretty mixed population. Quite a few people of Quatemalan decent went over when the Quat. military was purging the country side in the 80s. As a matter of fact, they have a pretty strong West Indian culture too.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 13, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
Two Haiti soccer players missing for Gold Cup match
By Jacqueline Charles (Miami Herald).

Jeff Louis, right, shakes hands with a teammate after Haiti scored against Panama during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas. Louis missed his flight from Boston to Kansas City and will not be on the field Monday in the 7 p.m. matchup between Haiti and Honduras.

As if losing to the U.S. men's national soccer team in the Gold Cup's Group A wasn't bad enough, Haiti also will have to face a critical match for second place without two of its 23 players, the Haiti Football Federation confirmed.

Defender Jean Jacques Pierre and midfielder Jeff Louis missed their flight from Boston to Kansas City and will not be on the field Monday in the 7 p.m. matchup between Haiti and Honduras.

This is not a case of Haitian players defecting, like Cuban athletes have done in the past, the federation said in a statement on its Facebook page. "It is a case of undisciplined players being dissatisfied with their status on the team," said Carlo Marcelin, secretary general of the federation. CONCACAF and FIFA both have been notified, and an investigation is under way, Marcelin added.

Pierre was team captain of Les Grenadiers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:03:10 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 13, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Honduras has time to score two. Haiti has time to score one.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

When TT joined CONCACAF in the early 60s, we used to have a difficult time beating them with our "speed and physicality". The Centros always had the one-touch football IQ which I think we lacked. The first time we played Quatemala in the WC, we got 4 from them in the first game and tie 0-0 in the second. It did not help that we played both WC games in Quat. because of lack of money. This lack of money goes way back.
 But later when our players started to improve we started to match them. We beat Quat. 1-0 in Haiti and beat Mex 4-0. We still can't beat CR. I don't think we ever beat them in WC. They have that one-touch IQ and players with 'speed and physicality". They know how to play Caribbean teams. We may beat them on a couple occasions, but not in WC. We have had some epic battles with Honduras. We have also have a mixed bag with El Sal. In recent years we appear to have had the upper hand on them. But in the beginning it was not so. Panama has improved and can match us with the same speed, etc, etc. So I don't know where this speed and physicality thing going. I definitely want football IQ with speed and physicality. Without those three, we not going anywhere.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 13, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
Congrats Haiti

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »
Truehaitian  congrats on yuh team victory....!!

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
Thanks guys!
I almost had heart-attack in this game. The two best players walk away from the team  and return to France due to  disagreement with the coach.  One Key midfielder( current PSJ player and former Standard De liege, Jeff-Louis)  and key defense player( Jean Jacques Pierre). As you can see Haiti, had no midfield,  and couldn't play the way we did against the US. We really miss this due in the midfield. I was hopping that all 4 Caribbean teams made it in the second round but it looks like we're going to get 3 out of 4.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:22 PM »
Thanks guys!
I almost had heart-attack in this game. The two best players walk away from the team  and return to France due to  disagreement with the coach.  One Key midfielder( current PSJ player and former Standard De liege, Jeff-Louis)  and key defense player( Jean Jacques Pierre). As you can see Haiti, had no midfield,  and couldn't play the way we did against the US. We really miss this due in the midfield. I was hopping that all 4 Caribbean teams made it in the second round but it looks like we're going to get 3 out of 4.

well done compere...I am sad that the two best players walked away from the team. In the words of comedian Majah Hype..."that's the devil!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »
Thanks guys!

So ... they didn't show up at all? Ouch! Miami Herald suggested they were just late.

Congrats, nonetheless brother. (By the way, I saw a clip of the Haitian massif leaving the game versus the US ... it looked like Kanaval. Someone who was there was blown away. Told me that the soccer mom types were uncomfortably clinging to the walls trying to exit.  :rotfl: Not being accustomed to such interaction ... and trying to understand how ppl could be so festive and happy after a loss).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:32:19 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
Any good US streams?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
The US is playing such a conservative game. I am wondering if Klinsmann ent give Bora a spot as guest coach.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
Panama!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Goal Panama.   If we beat Mexico we could win the Goal Cup.   
Third game they play with fire and get burn.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »
Goal Panama.   If we beat Mexico we could win the Goal Cup.   
Third game they play with fire and get burn.

long way to go still.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
Panama real knocking the ball...Best playing team I have seen so far.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1]; } ?>