March 28, 2024, 09:03:29 AM

Author Topic: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.  (Read 82448 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Cuba qualifies!

Great for CFU. Hopefully the Caribbean starts getting the respect they deserve.

We have to work on consistency to earn that respect. Right now leh we just win this one. Respect go come later.

I hear you Deeks. This was coming though. Hopefully the Central American teams stop seeing the CFU teams as their whipping boys.

This is the first time in Gold Cup history that all 4 CFU teams have qualified for the knockout round. Even better, it was at the expense of Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »
Ariel Martínez is skillful and plays with joy. Congrats to Cuba! They don't have WC qualification to look fwd to ... so advancing in the GC is huge.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
That was a hell of a game.
Big up to the CFU (not UNCAF like the fella on FSC say)

Indeed. Many might not agree with me, but all of the games in the tournament were actually good. There was only one blow out. While the rest of the games ended in draws or decided by one goal (with our games being the exception)..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:17:40 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »
Cuba player Maikel Reyes is a very good player.

Despite his age Yénier Márquez is still playing a solid defence.

Ariel Martínez and Alain Cervantes looked good too.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
Like Cuba make me eat crow today. Hopefully they continue it next game.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
Cuba player Maikel Reyes is a very good player.

Despite his age Yénier Márquez is still playing a solid defence.

Ariel Martínez and Alain Cervantes looked good too.

I real like Cuba #18....tall, dark fella in midfield.

Their #10 also have real touches...and de fella who came in at striker against us....think is Reyes...is a good player too
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterfinals Section at Metlife Stadium.. who there?
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
If yuh heading Brooklyn after the game. Cool Out Sundays is free and rell vibes for the after fete

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
What website you get tickets from??? I wanna buy my ticket one time!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »
So we got Haiti for a playoff for Copa Americano Centenario. I thought the spots were given to the teams who finished the highest. I guess I was wrong.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150716/sports/warriors-to-face-haitians-in-copa-2016

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #309 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »
So we got Haiti for a playoff for Copa Americano Centenario. I thought the spots were given to the teams who finished the highest. I guess I was wrong.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150716/sports/warriors-to-face-haitians-in-copa-2016

Very good news... I believe we can do it...

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2015, 11:07:22 PM »

I'm not sure what to believe. I believe whoever wins the gold cup qualifies for Copa Americano Centenario, this applies to country who haven't alreafy qualified. If that is true,  then this article is already ruling us out from qualifying for Copa Americano Centenario by way of winning the tournament. I will check the qualification criteria again..

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »

I'm not sure what to believe. I believe whoever wins the gold cup qualifies for Copa Americano Centenario, this applies to country who haven't alreafy qualified. If that is true,  then this article is already ruling us out from qualifying for Copa Americano Centenario by way of winning the tournament. I will check the qualification criteria again..
there are two spots left and i assume that if we got pass panama into the semis then were are in the cup because there are four teams in the quarter finals who has not already qualify and only two can get into the semifinals. i am guessing those two reams will be the final two contenders.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2015, 01:51:13 AM »
Warriors to face Haitians in Copa 2016
T&T Express Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago senior national football team will face Caribbean rivals Haiti for a place in the 2016 Copa Centro Americano.

The special 100th edition of the Copa, to be held in the United States next year, will see the senior national football teams of 10 South Americans nations, facing the best six in the CONCACAF region.

South America will be represented by Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela and Ecuador.

Already qualified from CONCACAF are Mexico (Automatic qualifier), the United States (Automatic qualifier/host), Costa Rica (2014 Central America champions) and Jamaica, as 2014 Caribbean champions.

The final two CONCACAF qualifiers will be decided by two playoffs among four quarter-finalist of the 2015 CONCACAAF Gold Cup.

Trinidad and Tobago, the second-highest FIFA ranked CONCACAF team not yet qualified, will face third-highest ranked non qualifier Haiti, while top-ranked non-qualifier Panama face whichever of Guatemala/Cuba or El Salvador also reached the Gold Cup quarters. The two series winners will join the other four CONCACAF teams in the competition.''

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
Gold Cup: Ranking the eight quarterfinals
by Paul Kennedy (Soccer America).

As unconvincing as the USA has been so far at the Gold Cup, it remains in good shape to defend its title. It drew the weakest team left in the tournament for the quarterfinals: Cuba, which lost its first two games by a margin of 8-0, had four players detect but somehow beat Guatemala, 1-0, to reach the final eight. The big surprise is the presence in the quarterfinals of all four Caribbean teams, including group winners Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica. Here's how the teams rank, based on their performances in the group stage ...

1. Trinidad & Tobago. Win your first two games, then come back twice against Mexico to earn a tie. Now, that's a good first round, especially for a team that was a longshot entering the tournament.  "No one gave us any chance back home … to even win a game," said T&T coach Stephen Hart. "That’s what they were saying."

And that was before T&T rallied to tie Mexico, 4-4, and clinch first place in Group C on Wednesday night. The Soca Warriors trailed 2-0, blew a 3-2 lead with three minutes to play but still had enough to come back and tie El Tri on a goal by Yohance Marshall, who began his pro career out of USF with the LA Galaxy, later sent time in clubs in the USL, then in Thailand and Asia and now plays in El Salvador.

“It’s important for the people, for the young players back at home, it’s important for our football," said Hart, who became the second coach after Bruce Arena to qualify a team four times to the knockout phase (twice with Canada and now twice the Soca Warriors). "I cannot tell you how important it is for us to get to the quarterfinal. I am very happy for these young players because they believed in me."

2. USA. The USA could not be more please with the how the Gold Cup has played.  It USA opens the knockout stage with what should be an easy game against Cuba, while on the other side of the bracket, the tournament's other two seeds, Mexico and Costa Rica, meet in the quarterfinals.

Sounds a little like the Women's World Cup with the USA opening the knockout stage against Colombia and Germany-France on the other side of the bracket in the quarterfinals? The Cuba game should give Jurgen Klinsmann a chance to sort out some issues in his team and await the return of John Brooks for the quarterfinals.

3. Jamaica. It's been a long summer for the Reggae Boyz. For the first time, they played in the Copa America, where they lost all three games, all by 1-0. But they then had two and half weeks off and regrouped for the Gold Cup, where they tied Costa Rica (2-0), then beat Canada (1-0) and El Salvador (1-0).

"I'm very, very happy about my team," Jamaica head coach Winfried Schaefer said. "I trust my players." Indeed, he made just one lineup change in three games, starting Darren Mattocks up front after going with Simon Dawkins in the first two games. Mattocks, who is suspended against Haiti in Saturday's quarterfinals, is one of five MLS players Schafer has started along with Kemar Lawrence (New York Red Bulls), Je-Vaughn Watson (FC Dallas) and Jermaine Taylor and Giles Barnes (both Houston Dynamo).

4. Mexico. If head coach Miguel Herrera wants to keep his job, El Tri isn't helping out. A 6-0 win over Cuba ended a seven-game winless streak but since then it's tied Guatemala (0-0) and T&T (4-4). The latter result is the shocker. Mexico was cruising 2-0 after 55 minutes in Charlotte when the Soca Warriors scored three goals in 13 minutes to take the lead. El Tri seemed to have won the game on a goal by Andres Guardado in the 88th minute and an own goal in the 90th minute, but Marshall's equalizer ruined the festivities.

To add to Mexico's misery, Giovani dos Santos, who signed with the LA Galaxy earlier in the day, left at halftime with a leg injury. The status for Sunday's match against Costa Rica is uncertain.

5. Haiti. Another surprise from the Caribbean, Haiti tied Panama, 1-1, in its opening game on a goal by Sony Norde, then gave the USA everything it had in a 1-0 loss on Clint Dempsey's goal in the 47th minute. It came as no surprise then that it beat Honduras, 1-0, on Duckens Nazon's goal to claim second place in Group A behind the USA.

Other teams have been getting big games out of their MLS players. The Grenadiers have relied on players farther down the ladder. Pascal Millien (Jacksonville Armada) and James Marcelin (Fort Lauderdale Strikers) from the NASL and Mechack Jerome (Charlotte Independence) from the USL started in the win over Honduras.

6. Costa Rica. It has been a particularly great tournament so far for the Ticos, quarterfinalists a year ago at the World Cup. They blew a 2-1 lead against Jamaica and had to settle for a 1-1. They conceded a goal in stoppage time to former U.S. U-17 Dustin Correa, allowing El Salvador to draw, 1-1. A third draw -- this time scoreless against Canada in Toronto -- was good enough for second place in Group B.

Coach Paulo Wanchope has introduced a bunch of new domestic-based talent: Francisco Calvo, David Ramirez,  David Guzman and Deyver Vega, all from Saprissa, and Alajuelense's Johan Venegas, who is reportedly being pursued by the Montreal Impact.

7. Panama.
In all three Group A games, the Canaleros took the lead only to have to settle for 1-1 ties, first against Haiti, then Honduras and the USA. For an hour of so on Monday night, Panama looked very good against the USA, but it then faded in the end.

Coach Hernan Dario Gomez has started Blas Perez, 34, and Luis Tejada, 33, up front in all three games. They'll have the maximum five days to prepare for T&T on Sunday.

8. Cuba. Who'd have given the Cubans a chance of advancing after opening with a 6-0 loss to Mexico in a match that saw El Tri finish with a 44-3 edge in shots? By the time Cuba played Guatemala on Wednesday, it had completed a hat trick. Before each game, it had at least one player defect: first Keiler Garcia before the Mexico game in Chicago, backup goalkeeper Arael Arguellez before the team traveled to Phoenix, where it lost to T&T, 2-0, and Dario Suarez and Aricheel Hernandez disappeared before Wednesday's game in Charlotte.

Absences have been nothing new for Cuba at the Gold Cup. Head coach Raul Gonzalez and six players, all U-23s, were stuck in Havana because of visa problems, and they missed the Mexico game. Hernandez quickly defected, but four started in the 1-0 win over Guatemala, including Maikel Reyes, who scored the winner to return Cuba to the quarterfinals for the second straight tournament.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2015, 06:15:03 AM »
Well done to the Warriors.  Keep it up.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
What website you get tickets from??? I wanna buy my ticket one time!

http://www.seatsmart.com/concacaf-gold-cup-_-quarterfinals-tickets/801488/

Is what I used. You can also use http://www.tiqiq.com/

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
If yuh heading Brooklyn after the game. Cool Out Sundays is free and rell vibes for the after fete

Where in BK is this at? I may have to swing by that.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »

8906 Ditmas Ave bet E89th & Remsen. 

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 16, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

8906 Ditmas Ave bet E89th & Remsen.

Ha! I live right off Ditmas Ave and E5th. I'll def be there!

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
    • Professional Audio Sales & Live Event Production
« Reply #319 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
Buy, b/c they are going quick, I know folks are in sects 121 and 126, sure there is more, but I would not hesitate

aye Jr why the ffuuckk you highjack my thread and make it your own? yuh don't have your own imagination? or timing? bbbitch watch yuhself eh! ah already spoke to d reff, a red card is in order fuh yuh ass. sc**t man. a better not see yuh at the match on sunday or else...
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
Buy, b/c they are going quick, I know folks are in sects 121 and 126, sure there is more, but I would not hesitate

aye Jr why the ffuuckk you highjack my thread and make it your own? yuh don't have your own imagination? or timing? bbbitch watch yuhself eh! ah already spoke to d reff, a red card is in order fuh yuh ass. sc**t man. a better not see yuh at the match on sunday or else...

Haha, my bad homie! I think we posted around the same time and one of the admins just combined them. I got you some homemade rum punch though Sunday if I see you to make it up to ya!
 :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 16, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Dem tix flikkin expensive!  I wanted to take my 2 boys but Jah!

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
    • Professional Audio Sales & Live Event Production
« Reply #322 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
Quote from: darrel3000 on Yesterday at 09:39:52 AM
i EXPECT A hard fought encounter this group match, T&T will come out blazing and try to get that early goal with open attacking play. Mexico feels this is a must win situation, they are in 2nd plac ein the group behind T&T and want to make a statment, they also will play open attacking football I expecta high scoring game with the victory to T&T 3-2!
THERE I SAID HERE FIRST PEOPLE!   ;D  :beermug:

AS I predicted it was high scoring game vs Mexico! most of the commentators remarked atht it was the BEST Gold Cup game ever, I agree, at least it was the best I've ever seen. most important, T&T top group C, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY  ;D :beermug: I expect to see T&T in the Semi-Finals, where I expect they would face Mexico again, this time for the #win. we have the talent, the coaching and the confidence to make it through to the Semi-Finals and conquer whoever we face there. I SAID HERE FIRST!

in this game vs Panama I expect a 4-1 result as T&T go on to the semi-finals and revive our National Pride and National Following bringing out all the Fair weather fans back to T&T football. I was at the national stadium in 1999 when the USA scored the "Goal that was heard around the world" to Qualify ahead of T&T for the World cup in that final CONCACAF Qulifier. the whole nation was in red that day. I can't wait to see that type of football support again.
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
I am there!
Hart for president

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 16, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »
Are 121 and 126 the official Trini sections?
Hart for president

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 16, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
We have three players on fox soccer's team of the group stage.
I eh know what to do with all this positive criticism we getting.

Clint Dempsey, Kenwyne Jones highlight Gold Cup group stage Best XI
By Kyle McCarthy (Fox Sports).

Trinidad and Tobago captain Kenwyne Jones basked in the achievement of his side in the aftermath of the 4-4 draw with Mexico on Wednesday.

The chaotic and utterly entertaining draw sent T&T through to the last eight as Group C winners. It marked a considerable achievement for T&T and underscored the growth in this young squad over the past couple of years.

Jones praised his teammates and tried to place the achievement in context. He also noted the fantastic nature of the second half within the framework of a tournament that often lacked intrigue for much of the group stage.

“I think that’s something that you dream for,” Jones said. “I don’t think there was a game like that in the Gold Cup so far. So I’m pretty sure it’s going to attract quite a few more people to watch it [back home]. The support has been good so far.”

Jones’ man-of-the-match display forced him onto our list of the top performers during the group stage. It is a list that reflects the egalitarian nature of a competition where the top teams aren’t firing just yet (the four World Cup qualifiers last year contributed just three players) and resurgence of Caribbean sides (six members of this side hail from the four Caribbean sides through to the last eight).

Goalkeeper: Kenny Stamatopoulos (Canada)

Stamatopoulos spent much of the group stage under considerable duress. He navigated through it deftly and produced several fine saves to keep the Canadians within touching distance of a berth in the last eight. His performances vindicated Benito Floro's decision to select him in goal with regular number one Milan Borjan tending to Champions League duties with Ludogorets.

Defender: Sheldon Bateau (Trinidad and Tobago)

The Belgium-based defender played a critical role in both penalty areas for T&T during group play. Bateau scored twice to help T&T claim a quarterfinal berth after two matches and set out the defensive stall as well. The promising center back will hope to continue his development as T&T attempt to mount a deep run into the tournament.

Defender: Elias Vasquez (Guatemala)

Guatemala submitted the defensive performance of the group stage in the 0-0 draw against Mexico. Vasquez found himself at the heart of those efforts in the center of the Guatemalan defense. His defiance played a considerable role in that draw and the subsequent place in the last eight.

Defender: Kemar Lawrence (Jamaica)

Lawrence performed well during the recent spell in the Copa América and sustained that form in the early stages of this tournament. His industry ensures competent work at the back and reliable width on the overlap.

Midfielder: Michael Bradley (United States)

Bradley -- the only U.S. player to feature for every minute so far this year -- once again served as the driving force in central midfield. His industry, passing range and his willingness to make the late run into the penalty area makes him an important component going forward. The equalizer against Panama -- including some good work in the buildup and a timely finish to round off the move -- summed up his contributions nicely.

Midfielder: Rodolph Austin (Jamaica)

The midfield line is an area of particular strength for the Group B winners. Austin serves as the fulcrum within it, the linchpin expected to establish the tone and spread it throughout the team. His displays during the group stage -- including the critical late winner against Canada -- reinforced the reasons why his presence is so critical for the Jamaicans.

Midfielder: Andrés Guardado (Mexico)

There were few positives for Mexico during the disjointed run through Group C, but Guardado featured among them. The veteran midfielder accepts his given role and functions deftly within it. His steady presence adds heft to the Mexican midfield whether he operates on the left or slots into the midfield three, while his well-taken goal against Trindad and Tobago reinforces his enduring quality in the final third.

Midfielder: Joevin Jones (Trinidad & Tobago)

The enterprising Chicago Fire left back offers plenty of intent and width when deployed on the wing. Jones' attacking qualities provide T&T with a ready avenue to break quickly on the left. His goal against Guatemala reinforced his ability to make an impact in front of goal (as Fire fans well know by this point), while his inch-perfect corner for the equalizer against Mexico supplied a justified punctuation mark for his contributions.

Forward: Clint Dempsey (United States)

Klinsmann underscored the need for Dempsey to push aside the recent controversy surrounding his conduct in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match and score regularly in this tournament. Dempsey responded by propelling the Americans to the top of Group A with three goals in three matches. He isn't the captain for this tournament, but he continues to shoulder a heavy load. The demands will only increase with Jozy Altidore released from the squad after the group stage.

Forward: Kenwyne Jones (Trinidad and Tobago)

T&T won its Gold Cup group for the first time with inspirational captain Jones playing an influential part in the success. Jones led the line diligently by occupying defenders willingly and then punishing them when they ceded space. His performance in the Group C-clinching 4-4 draw against Mexico included a goal and two assists (plus an unfortunate own goal) stands out as perhaps the best individual display in the group stage.

Forward: Duckens Nazon (Haiti)

End product often keeps the aspiring underdog from completing the task. Nazon never found his range against the U.S., but his contributions against Panama and Honduras injected the necessary sharpness in a side with all sorts of endeavor. His willingness to challenge defenders one-versus-one and use his pace relentlessly played a significant part in Haiti's group stage success.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:37:44 PM by Flex »

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
What do you mean abandoned? he staying in usa? lol  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
Warriors to face Haitians in Copa 2016
T&T Express Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago senior national football team will face Caribbean rivals Haiti for a place in the 2016 Copa Centro Americano.

The special 100th edition of the Copa, to be held in the United States next year, will see the senior national football teams of 10 South Americans nations, facing the best six in the CONCACAF region.

South America will be represented by Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela and Ecuador.

Already qualified from CONCACAF are Mexico (Automatic qualifier), the United States (Automatic qualifier/host), Costa Rica (2014 Central America champions) and Jamaica, as 2014 Caribbean champions.

The final two CONCACAF qualifiers will be decided by two playoffs among four quarter-finalist of the 2015 CONCACAAF Gold Cup.

Trinidad and Tobago, the second-highest FIFA ranked CONCACAF team not yet qualified, will face third-highest ranked non qualifier Haiti, while top-ranked non-qualifier Panama face whichever of Guatemala/Cuba or El Salvador also reached the Gold Cup quarters. The two series winners will join the other four CONCACAF teams in the competition.''

What if T&T or Haiti win the Gold cup.. will the they still have to play each other for spot into the COPA America or will they go to the next highest rank team

1]; } ?>