March 28, 2024, 03:33:58 PM

Author Topic: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.  (Read 82475 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread.
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
Jamaica had chances in the first fifteen minutes, They wasted the opportunity and payed the price.
 It makes T&T 4-4 draw a little more instructive going forward, hard luck Jamaica.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
JA football too boring for me to care or watch them play, too predictable and seldom ever gambles. Tnt always an unpredictable side that alone makes the team fun to watch, with JA expect to see no goals or 1 with 10 men behind the ball defending. I see some people are fixed on Mexico not earning the cup but they just won the final.

People forget that the best team can have bad days, unfair calls and get unlucky. it's all part of the game and how you deal with that will either reap fans or hate from supporters. What Panama did on and off the pitch was distasteful and it made our region look mediocre. Exposed us in a big way with international headlines for the wrong reasons. Panama for me has the team to be in the finals but not the discipline or the fan base to rival mexico or usa in terms of support.

I don't see anyone here is saying that Mexico didn't deserve to win the finals.  But I do see people like myself who are saying that Mexico did not deserve TO BE in this particular finals.

Mexico is a very good team, which most will not dispute.  However, this particular Gold Cup tournament was one that proved to be highly suspect with the officiating, and rather corrupt.  The game-changing calls made in Mexico's favor in the Quarter-finals, and then in the Semi-finals were not just bad calls...they were blatantly deplorable.  We have to face the fact that regional tournaments such as these are tied-in very much to TV ratings, corporate sponsors, and other monied interests.  Having a Gold Cup finals between smaller-population states (Jamaica vs a Panama or a Costa Rica, for example), would not have been the  ratings bonanza that tournament organizers would have been counting on.

This begs the question --- if down the road, a tiny population country like Grenada, by some miracle qualified for the GC and fielded a team that threatened to make it far in the GC during the knock-out phase....would the game be officiated FAIRLY if that particular match were close (tied, or with Grenada up 1-0), against a US or Mexico in the dying minutes of the game?

The blatant deplorable officiating in this tournament at important junctures in the matches, has taken away somewhat the credibility of this tournament. 

After-all, would "Fox Sports" or major corporate sponsors benefit from say for example a "T&T vs Barbados" Gold Cup finals?  Based on what we have witnessed here in 2015, if T&T and B'dos were leading in their respective knock-out matches in close games against any of the 3 major regional populous countries (USA, Mexico, Canada), I don't believe a T&T vs B'dos final would ever be allowed to happen.   

Mexico definitely deserved to win today's final against JA --- this isn't in dispute.  But Mexico did not deserve to even make it to this particular finals.  Monied corporate interests decided on Mexico being in this finals.

When a tournament's credibility is dishonored and tarnished, everyone loses.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:53:40 PM by OutsideMan »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
JA football too boring for me to care or watch them play, too predictable and seldom ever gambles. Tnt always an unpredictable side that alone makes the team fun to watch, with JA expect to see no goals or 1 with 10 men behind the ball defending. I see some people are fixed on Mexico not earning the cup but they just won the final.

People forget that the best team can have bad days, unfair calls and get unlucky. it's all part of the game and how you deal with that will either reap fans or hate from supporters. What Panama did on and off the pitch was distasteful and it made our region look mediocre. Exposed us in a big way with international headlines for the wrong reasons. Panama for me has the team to be in the finals but not the discipline or the fan base to rival mexico or usa in terms of support.

I don't see anyone here is saying that Mexico didn't deserve to win the finals.  But I do see people like myself who are saying that Mexico did not deserve TO BE in this particular finals.

Mexico is a very good team, which most will not dispute.  However, this particular Gold Cup tournament was one that proved to be highly suspect with the officiating, and rather corrupt.  The game-changing calls made in Mexico's favor in the Quarter-finals, and then in the Semi-finals were not just bad calls...they were blatantly deplorable.  We have to face the fact that regional tournaments such as these are tied-in very much to TV ratings, corporate sponsors, and other monied interests.  Having a Gold Cup finals between smaller-population states (Jamaica vs a Panama or a Costa Rica, for example), would not have been the  ratings bonanza that tournament organizers would have been counting on.

This begs the question --- if down the road, a tiny population country like Grenada, by some miracle qualified for the GC and fielded a team that threatened to make it far in the GC during the knock-out phase....would the game be officiated FAIRLY if that particular match were close (tied, or with Grenada up 1-0), against a US or Mexico in the dying minutes of the game?

The blatant deplorable officiating in this tournament at important junctures in the matches, has taken away somewhat the credibility of this tournament. 

After-all, would "Fox Sports" or major corporate sponsors benefit from say for example a "T&T vs Barbados" Gold Cup finals?  Based on what we have witnessed here in 2015, if T&T and B'dos were leading in their respective knock-out matches in close games against any of the 3 major regional populous countries (USA, Mexico, Canada), I don't believe a T&T vs B'dos final would ever be allowed to happen.   

Mexico definitely deserved to win today's final against JA --- this isn't in dispute.  But Mexico did not deserve to even make it to this particular finals.  Monied corporate interests decided on Mexico being in this finals.

When a tournament's credibility is dishonored and tarnished, everyone loses.

The officiating and financial obligations to sponsors and etc put a dark cloud over the tournament..

It almost seems like smaller nations need not apply when coming to these tournaments. I think the mentality needs to change of fans, if you love to see good football people should tune in, for years trini fans tuned into the WC to see other teams play and enjoyed it, and went to the tournament...

I believe we need more football fans, not that loving your nation is wrong but we need more fans willing to watch entertaining football in general.. Politics and money has destroyed the sport to a certain extent and it reared its ugly head in this tourney, sadly..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »
While I agree we would like to have fan base like Mex and other Central Americans, I would say most are fine, but a lot of them are pretty thin-skinned. When an away team go to their country, their fans do every conceivable thing to intimidate players. Booing, rhythm sections, singing that is fine. But throwing bottles, coins and flashing lasers in players eyes are no no. For me at least. They can keep that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 27, 2015, 03:52:50 AM »
I only saw the second half. Although Mexico had the better of the exchanges, I thought JA played tough despite the errors made by their defence. Before the Copa and this tournament. JA defence appeared inpenetrable. But they fought back and scored an excellent goal. Congrats to JA for putting on a great display and so doing, put the Caribbean football in a good light.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
How did he reach him to punch him? :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 28, 2015, 01:44:06 AM »
Mexico and the US to face each other on October 9, 2015 at the Rose Bowl to determine CONCACAF's 2017 Confederations Cup representative.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 28, 2015, 06:01:54 AM »
Kenwyne Jones and Joevin Jones named to FOX Soccer’s Gold Cup Best XI
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/andres-guardado-clint-dempsey-highlight-gold-cup-best-xi-072715
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:23 AM »
Mexico and the US to face each other on October 9, 2015 at the Rose Bowl to determine CONCACAF's 2017 Confederations Cup representative.
Home game fuh Mexico

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 28, 2015, 07:47:39 AM »
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/andres-guardado-clint-dempsey-highlight-gold-cup-best-xi-072715

Penedo
Lawrence
Torres
Morgan
J.Jones
Austin
Bradley
Dempsey
Guardado
Barnes
Jones

Nice team excpet for Barnes.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 28, 2015, 07:58:29 AM »
Keep it up T&T. 2 spots. As we hopefully progress, want to see Cyrus take that right back slot and when Molino
makes his Gold Cup comeback in 2 years, to take the midfield slot. Big up.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 28, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »

Penedo
Lawrence
Torres
Morgan
J.Jones
Austin
Bradley
Dempsey
Guardado
Barnes
Jones

Nice team excpet for Barnes.

I would replace Torres with Bateau. I think 2 goals in 4 games from a defender says a lot.

If Panama did not go to penalty shots, I would probably choose Placide over Penedo. Other than that, I think the list is accurate.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:19:46 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 28, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »
The headline say Herrera was fired by the Mex. Fed. For throwing the punch. Anyone can verify?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #644 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
The headline say Herrera was fired by the Mex. Fed. For throwing the punch. Anyone can verify?

haven't seen anything..checking now

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/28/mexico-coach-miguel-herrera-fired

:o

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »

Yes, it's been verified:

http://www.espnfc.com/mexico/story/2539748/mexico-federation-sacks-miguel-herrera-after-alleged-brawl?ex_cid=espnFB
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 28, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
He did them a favour by acting out. He is a kinda madman.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:33 PM »
Herrera gave the Mexican federation an out with that brain fart. Mexico was poor most of the tournament and he probably only kept his job cause they actually won the tournament.

Next one to watch is Klinsmann, he on borrowed time too.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
Herrera had an opportunity to be heard and the federation seems to have taken time to weigh and balance all the interests involved. The FMF has a code of conduct and it appears that the internal analysis revolved around Piojo's conduct being inconsistent with the code (I've seen two specific statutes referenced informally).

What's clear is that their press conference indicates they are seizing the opportunity to rebuild and protect the brand/rebrand. A foreign coach is not off the table.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
Bad time for Mexico to do this.  Despite his "big" personality he has done well with Mexico.  Remember how many coaches in a short space of time El Tri fired before his appointment.  The players have openly endorsed him and enjoy playing for him.  He brought back in fan favorites and created stability.  Indeed they had an average showing at the GC with the exception of putting 6 past an undermanned Cuban outfit and beating Jamaica to win the title.  Yet I can't see how this makes sense right now.  They have 2 friendlies coming up before the Confed playoff against their arch nemesis in the region USA.  Given that we played them the way we did in the GC they have to know that (even if they thought we did before) The Soca Warriors do not have any form of inferiority complex where they are concerned.  So now insted of using the friendly to try out different things and maybe audition a few players, they now have to make sure to come out and try to win to restore the balance (as they see it).  Awfully poor timing!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »
Is Mexico,
I expect madness and complaints about poor performances right up until they play the 1st game in the next world cup finals, then all of a sudden, a new Mexico will emerge and we'll be talking about how is bad luck they keep meeting some big team in the knockout phase
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
Bad time for Mexico to do this.  Despite his "big" personality he has done well with Mexico.  Remember how many coaches in a short space of time El Tri fired before his appointment.  The players have openly endorsed him and enjoy playing for him.  He brought back in fan favorites and created stability.  Indeed they had an average showing at the GC with the exception of putting 6 past an undermanned Cuban outfit and beating Jamaica to win the title.  Yet I can't see how this makes sense right now.  They have 2 friendlies coming up before the Confed playoff against their arch nemesis in the region USA.  Given that we played them the way we did in the GC they have to know that (even if they thought we did before) The Soca Warriors do not have any form of inferiority complex where they are concerned.  So now insted of using the friendly to try out different things and maybe audition a few players, they now have to make sure to come out and try to win to restore the balance (as they see it).  Awfully poor timing!

but....do they want to be seen as endorsing assault, I don't think a suspension and or fine would've mitigate that impression had they gone that route
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 29, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

but....do they want to be seen as endorsing assault, I don't think a suspension and or fine would've mitigate that impression had they gone that route

Is there footage where you actually see the assault?  What I saw was very ambiguous and hard to make out where the assault occurred tbh.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »

Is there footage where you actually see the assault?  What I saw was very ambiguous and hard to make out where the assault occurred tbh.
yeah but the suspicion and attendant verdict in the court of public opinion already in d public domain......even if there was no assault or the circumstances exaggerated......it is being called assault.....so what then ???
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »

yeah but the suspicion and attendant verdict in the court of public opinion already in d public domain......even if there was no assault or the circumstances exaggerated......it is being called assault.....so what then ???

What then?  If there is no assault then no punishment!  Reaction by the federation has to be based on and rooted in facts.  Maybe I misunderstanding what you asking ???

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
I agree with wah yuh saying, I jus putting forword that perception can be as powerful as facts, they must feel that they have no choice, and acted in the interest of the Mexico brand
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 29, 2015, 12:59:08 PM »
The Mex. tv keep showing a tape run in an airport and there is some commotion. But I too do not see any clear cut punch thrown by anyone. It just some commotion. Maybe there is another video with a much clearer picture.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 29, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
The Mex. tv keep showing a tape run in an airport and there is some commotion. But I too do not see any clear cut punch thrown by anyone. It just some commotion. Maybe there is another video with a much clearer picture.

My boy at work who is a Mexico fan saying the exact same thing.  Up to now nothing eh suraface in the media showing clearly what occured.  What he did say is dat Liga MX owners have a lot of say so when it come to federation business and they were not overly infatuated with him.  So this may be more to do with them than coachman actually doing anything that warrants his removal.  I called it from early on though, once they drew Guatemala, then the result with us I knew he was ah walking dead duck!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »
Video evidence of the Herrera incident

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfiX0lQaaRg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sfiX0lQaaRg</a>

1]; } ?>