March 28, 2024, 02:13:28 PM

Author Topic: Holder appointed WI ODI captain  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holder appointed WI ODI captain
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »
Holder appointed WI ODI captain
http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-west-indies-2014-15/content/current/story/812445.html

Jason Holder has replaced Dwayne Bravo as West Indies' ODI captain and will lead the team in the five-match ODI series against South Africa, which starts from January 16, 2015.

Bravo, who had replaced Darren Sammy as the ODI captain in May 2013, has also been left out of the squad for the South Africa one-dayers but is a part of the T20 side. Bravo led West Indies to victory in 12 of the 27 games since May last year.

Apart from Dwayne Bravo exclusion, the West Indies ODI squad has a number of changes compared to the side that toured India. Darren Sammy and Kieron Pollard have been left out for the ODIs but feature in the T20 squad. Offspinner Sunil Narine, who was withdrawn from the India series after being banned during the Champions League T20 due to a suspect action, does not feature in either squad.

According to a WICB release,the recommendation to replace Bravo with Holder had been made by the Clive Lloyd-led selection panel and it was approved by the board of directors. Lloyd said Holder's appointment had been made with an eye on the future. Holder made his ODI debut against Australia in February 2013 and has played 21 games taking 29 wickets at an average of 28.65.

"Jason is one of the good, young players who we believe will form part of the long-term future of West Indies Cricket," Lloyd said. "We expect him to be around for a very long time. He is a young man with a very bright future. We have invested in him. He was part of High Performance Centre and he also played for the West Indies Under-19 Team and the West Indies A Team.

"He has played ODIs for the West Indies before and has done well. We know he will continue to grow and demonstrate leadership. He has a very good cricketing brain and has the makings of a very good leader.

"The selectors decided that now is the time to make the transition and Jason will have people around him to help and guide him. Some might say it's close to the time of next year's ICC Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand but we know that we have a good One-Day team which can do very well."

Jonathan Carter has received a maiden overseas tour call-up for the ODIS. Batsman Narsingh Deonarine has been picked following good performances recently, including two successive first-class hundreds for Guyana in the Professional Cricket League. Deonarine has also replaced Assad Fudadin in the squad for the second Test against South Africa.

The ODI side has only one full-time spinner in Sulieman Benn, with Jerome Taylor, Sheldon Cottrell and Holder leading the pace attack. Kemar Roach had earlier been identified for selection but following his injury in the Centurion Test, the West Indies selectors have decided to name a replacement for him at a later date.

West Indies' squad for the limited-overs leg in SA

West Indies ODI squad Jason Holder (capt), Sulieman Benn, Carlos Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Sheldon Cottrell, Narsingh Deonarine, Leon Johnson, Chris Gayle, Denesh Ramdin, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor

West Indies T20 squad

Darren Sammy (capt), Sulieman Benn, Carlos Brathwaite, Dwayne Bravo, Sheldon Cottrell, Andre Fletcher, Chris Gayle (subject to fitness test), Jason Holder, Ashley Nurse, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Holder appointed WI ODI captain
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 04:23:21 PM »
Bravo and Pollard not good enough to make a WI ODI team.

I assume there are reasons other than cricket.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:14:38 AM »
Victimisation

A prominent lawyer retained by some West Indies players during the recent strike impasse, has accused the West Indies Cricket Board of victimisation in the axing of the experienced trio of Dwayne Bravo, Darren Sammy and Kieron Pollard from the one-day squad to face South Africa. Barbadian Ralph Thorne QC, who still represents Bravo, said his client had been “wronged” and he would “await his instructions” before deciding on the next move.

Bravo, Sammy and Pollard were members of the one-day side which took the controversial decision to quit the tour of India last October, sparking a bitter impasse with the WICB and players union, WIPA. “The demotions of Bravo, Sammy and Pollard exclusively to the T20 team reveals evidence of the victimisation that we have fought against,” Thorne told the Sunday Sun newspaper.
“A region’s best cricketers normally wind down their careers by moving to the longer versions of the game. The WICB is reversing that trend by sending its most senior players in the opposite direction. “Until these selections and deselections make sense, we will have to continue to accuse the WICB of victimisation.”

Bravo served as the players’ spokesman on the ill-fated tour of India, a role that brought him into conflict with the WICB and WIPA president and chief executive, Wavell Hinds. Appointed to lead the ODI side last year May, Bravo was dumped in favour of 23-year-old emerging all-rounder Jason Holder for the South Africa series starting next month, and is now unlikely to be selected for the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand bowling off in February.

In the wake of the abandoned tour, the WICB appointed a three-man task force to investigate the circumstances surrounding the players’ controversial action. The task force, headed by Michael Gordon QC and which submitted its report to the board a week ago, said the WICB, WIPA and the players were all to be blamed.

“The chairman of the task force told me in writing that they had no powers of coercion nor sanction against any player,” Thorne said. “I will not reasonably conclude that in spite of his assurances, the WICB has exploited portions of the report to dismiss Bravo.”
He added: “When Mr Bravo telephoned me this week from Australia we knew that the WICB was about to do him wrong. Still I was hoping they would not have wronged my client in this way. “Mr Bravo has been victimised and I will await his instructions before I act further. In the meantime, I will also await the position of WIPA on this matter.”

The 31-year-old Bravo has played 164 ODIs, scoring 2968 runs at an average of 25 and taking 199 wickets at 29.51 apiece. Since taking over ahead of last year’s Champions Trophy in England, Bravo has led the West Indies to series victories only over minnows Ireland – a one-off game in Jamaica – and over Bangladesh, ranked number nine in the World.

Pollard, meanwhile, averages 25 with the bat from 91 ODIs while Sammy averages 23 from 115 matches, and has taken 79 wickets at 44 apiece. Despite their exclusion from the ODI squad, all three players have remained a part of the Twenty20 set-up for the three-match series in South Africa.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »
I knew there was going to be some backlash over the India fiasco so I'm not really surprised that the trio was omitted.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
I knew there was going to be some backlash over the India fiasco so I'm not really surprised that the trio was omitted.

Why you think Ramdhin lost the captaincy of the TT team. I have a feeling that is why young Bravo didn't suit up for TT, it may have been a sort of protest over the way DR was treated.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holding: Why punish the players
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:34:11 AM »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/813037.html

A few days ago, the West Indies board released the squad for the ODIs to be played in South Africa starting January 16. There had been rumours flying around as to its composition and the possibility of a new captain.

Well, those rumours are no longer rumours. A press release has confirmed that Dwayne Bravo is no longer captain of the team, and not just for this tour.

The chairman of selectors has pointed out that the new captain, Jason Holder, is younger, and that they see him as the person to take this team forward. But it doesn't end there. Bravo has not just been relieved of the captaincy. He, along with Darren Sammy and Kieron Pollard, isn't even in the squad to play the five games. Now while arguments can be put forward for the reasons to seek a younger captain, however flimsy those might be, what can you say about leaving the three gentlemen mentioned above out of the squad?

Obviously questions have been asked of the selectors. One volunteered the information that the three were left out because they wanted to have a look at younger cricketers leading up to the World Cup. Now if they were sensible enough to have done some homework, they would have realised what a ridiculous argument that was. Narsingh Deonarine, who has been selected in the squad, is older than the three who have been left out.

Another argument put forward is that they looked at the stats, and the cricketers left out weren't measuring up. Again, folks, do your homework. Bravo was just selected for the ICC ODI Team of the Year for 2014; that is the team selected from among all the ODI cricketers in the world. Bravo can make that team, but his "stats" aren't good enough to make the West Indies side? That being the case, I think the ICC should just hand the World Cup trophy to West Indies instead of playing the tournament, as they have one hell of a team.

Once again, players are being victimised and punished, and I have yet to hear about any repercussions for those who created the problem in the first place 

I read an article based on an interview with the lawyer for the three gentlemen. He speaks of victimisation, and I'm afraid I have to agree with him. But am I surprised? I am afraid not. He went on to mention that the WICB cherry-picked details from the task force report to victimise the three cricketers. That is fairly obvious. Once again, the WICB has commissioned a report into the workings of the board, like the Patterson and Wilkins report, and used what it felt like using to suit its own agendas.

Yes, the report did apportion some blame to the players, in particular the seniors, but that came at the very end, just before the recommendations. In its opening salvo, the task force blamed the WICB and the West Indies Players' Association (WIPA) for creating the problem.

I draw your attention to the opening paragraph: "We are of the view that the overriding excuse for the players withdrawing their labour was the attempted imposition of new contractual terms of employment on the players negotiated between the board and WIPA, which the players saw for the first time after they got to India.

"There is something fundamentally wrong in sending a team to faraway places with only a historical view of their terms of employment and then to radically change those terms after they arrive in that distant place."

If that doesn't clearly state that WIPA and the WICB created the problem then I am missing something. But once again, players are being victimised and punished, and I have yet to hear about any repercussions for those who created the problem in the first place. It is so unfortunate that the WICB, in choosing to use only that small part of the report that suits it, is again doing West Indies cricket a disservice. One of the recommendations made by the task force, which the board put together without any input from the players, was, "The WICB must now build pillars of trust and respect with the players who are the board's employees. In this process, WIPA and the senior players have a very real role to play."

Folks, that was recommendation No. 1. Is this how the WICB intends to build trust and respect? I think its actions clearly suggest that it doesn't even intend to try. When this fiasco started in India, I wrote that the WICB had learnt nothing over the years. I pointed out that players who were happy to take up the mantle of representing the region when previous players went on strike were now ready to emulate the earlier cricketers and strike themselves.

Now the WICB is looking to replace the "troublemakers" - one of whom, Darren Sammy, was seen as a "board man" not long ago - with new players. But you can bet your bottom dollar that these new players will soon become disenchanted and start rumblings against the board in the not-too-distant future. A much more knowledgeable man than myself defined madness as doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result. I leave you readers to determine what you think then defines the people running the WICB. That has been the board's behaviour for years now. It's time to change the culture of the board, and it's obvious that change won't come from within.

Former West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding is now a leading commentator

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
I'm reading that article and I could hear Michael Holding's voice in my head  :) Spot on as usual, Mikey!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »
I'm reading that article and I could hear Michael Holding's voice in my head  :) Spot on as usual, Mikey!

A forthright man generally, his critique stands out ... particularly because of the ppl to whom it is directed.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

Steupse just backlash over what happened over the India series.

Honestly a T&T team with our best players like Bravos bros, Ramdin, Rampaul, Simmons and Pollard can win a series against any West Indies team. I will have no issues with T&T going it alone on Cricket

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
They playing the fool right before the WC. I eh know when next I goin and pay to see the Wi team play
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
Taken from TT Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2014-12-29/baffling-decisions-over-bravo-pollard

Anand Rampersad

Published:

Monday, December 29, 2014

The appalling outcomes of repeated administrative decision making ‘madness’ and abject performances on the field of play maybe considered ‘normal’ and unsurprising. However, these recurrent gaffes are quickly eroding a pillar of West Indian history and development. When discussing Caribbean culture I always tell students that it is characterised by complexities and contradictions. We say one thing and do another. Examples are easily found in every aspect of life from politicians to even those who impart the word of god.

A recent example is the decision by the WICB and its selectors to replace Dwayne Bravo as the ODI captain as well drop him and Kieron Pollard from the team to play South Africa in their five match ODI series. In the aftermath of the disastrous tour of India in attempt to heal wounds and move forward it was agreed upon at a meeting chaired by St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves in Port-of-Spain that no reprisal will take place against any player. Additionally, the final report on the disastrous aborted tour indicated that all parties were partly guilty.

But then again one should not be totally surprised as the WICB and its selectors have a rich history of arriving at mind boggling decisions. These selection decisions come on the heels of the surprised omission of Ravi Rampaul from the provisional list of 30 players from which the final World Cup 15 will be chosen. An explanation for his exclusion is still outstanding and may never be provided. The lessons should have been clear that the way forward had to be premised upon open channels of communication and the (re)building of trust; the benefits of which will redound to all major stakeholders—WICB, players, WIPA, sponsors and the fans.

The views highlighted by chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd leaves much to be desired in terms of convincing the general interested West Indian public that Jason Holder is the right person to lead the West Indies team to the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand which starts in 48 days on February, 14th. All the countries save England are entering the World Cup with experienced captains. Although England have sacked Alastair Cook, Eoin Morgan is a very experienced captain at the ODI level. The fact that Bravo was selected captain to India and there were no openly expressed concerns about his captaincy then, begs the question as to why suddenly he is not good for the job.

If the team selected to play the ODI series against South Africa does not perform with any creditability then entire plot to win the World Cup can fall apart before the tournament starts. This will only add more pressure on Jason Holder. These selections seem to indicate that Bravo and Pollard may not be selected for the World Cup. At least the WICB press release did not give any indication as to why the players were left out. And even if the selectors reluctantly and surreptitiously cede to political and public critique and select Bravo and Pollard for the World Cup—the deadline date is January 8th—they would have missed the opportunity to give the new captain all the opportunity to prepare competitively with the best available players.

And if they are selected, what would have been the logic and reason for leaving them out on an all-important dress rehearsal series against South Africa? And furthermore why create so much of unnecessary noise and unwanted distraction? This latest fiasco does not augur well for team unity and this can severely affect the team’s chances of winning its 3rd World Cup. It has been commented on umpteen occasions that the actions of the WICB over the years have reeked of blunders after blunders.  However, they seem to be systemic and regardless of whoever is the administrator the problems are repeated. It will remain a case of classic of administrative madness if the governance system is not overhauled as has been recommended by the PJ Patterson Report and several commentators including past and present players.

Another problem that is likely to resurface and which has been a characteristic of West Indian cricket and politics is the issue of insularity. This is not healthy for the sport given its current state of affairs both regionally and internationally. To have a reversal of the current bottom of the table position (being ahead of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe is no cause for celebrations after ruling the world for 15 years) requires making the best decisions for West Indies cricket which should be bigger than the egos of all and sundry. Happy holidays and a bright and prosperous 2015 to all athletes, administrators, sponsors and the Caribbean fans of all sporting disciplines.

1]; } ?>