March 28, 2024, 02:41:12 PM

Author Topic: Hart: Physical, mental strength lacking in local footballers.  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Hart: Physical, mental strength lacking in local footballers.
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:25 AM »
Hart: Physical, mental strength lacking in local footballers.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

There is no shortage of talented footballers in this country. The problem, however, is that most lack in the departments of physical and mental strength. That may explain the shortage of T&T nationals in the top leagues around the world, according to head coach of the men’s senior team, Stephen Hart.

Hart, speaking with the Guardian said this is something that can be drastically changed when all stakeholders take a modern approach to the game.

In elaborating, Hart admitted: “the majority (of players) are not prepared physically to meet the challenges of international football.”

Most recently, Hart’s team placed runner-up at consecutive Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Caribbean Cups last month, losing in a penalty-shoot out to host nation Jamaica in the final.

There was no shortage of talent in that squad, yet the players seemingly failed to approach the match as a final and barely looked dangerous, even against an average Jamaica side.

There’s a factor expressed time and time again by Hart, which may contribute heavily to this.

Hart says he struggles with the fact that many of his regulars do not play consistently for their clubs outside of the T&T Pro League.

“This is a worrying factor,” he said. “Many do not play with a team, or league where you have to be competitive to the core; fight for selection in every training session (and) concentrate for 90 minutes, compete in every game for survival, or to win the league...These are essential elements of modern players.”

“We need to ask ourselves why more of our players are not playing in any major leagues around the world, compared to the T&T team of 2006, Costa Rica, USA and Honduras of 2014.

“In my opinion, most are not prepared physically or mentally to meet the demands and rigors of a full season.”

So what are the potential solutions?

“Staffing needs to be improved upon. Medical, a physical trainer and potentially an IT person. We need proper training equipment, et cetera...heart monitors and GPS monitors are essential for monitoring consistent physical testing for all national team players (and potential players) and recorded data.

“Many need individualised measured physical programmes. They also have to be convinced that this will vastly improve their personal development.”

Hart said training camps are essential.

“The only way to get things right for a football team is on the field of training and games...This allows both for individual and team evaluation.”

Asked if he believed Fifa international match windows for 2015 would be fully utilised, Hart said: “I have to believe​ this to be true. Fifa dates are now double dates.

“Financially we may not be able to play two games on every outing because travel is extensive and expensive.

“Then we can play one game on the second date. This will allow us to have preparation time together in camp. We also need a couple of camps, with International games, for local based players (preferably in the off season). Almost every major footballing country has this structure.

“Training Camps are essential; the only way to get things right for a football team is on the field of training and games. This allows for both individual and team evaluation,” he said.

Hart, along with other technical staff members, management and men’s senior team players received their respective arrears of salaries, match fees, stipends and bonuses following the CFU Caribbean Cup.

The Government also provided funds in advance for the use of salaries up to the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup, which takes place in the United States in July.

Hart said this came as relief for him and the players.

“Yes (I am relieved). These are professional staff and players and they have the same needs and demands of any working man...This is how they feed their families. We also have to realise that the opposition are doing the same.”

Should it have been done in the full glare of the media in a ceremonial-like manner at the Office of the Prime Minister?

“​I am happy that an agreement was fulfilled,” Hart responded, adding, “Personally I am a private person...(I am) uncomfortable with publicity (but) the situation was not one that I had any control over.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hart: Physical, mental strength lacking in local footballers.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
Sounds like a pack of excuses to me. If there is no shortage of talent and they didnot look dangerous against a mediocre team?  Who is to blame? First I would not call Jamaica mediocre . The players are similar to ones you had . A couple playing in leagues abroad. It seems to me hart wasnot able to capitalize on the talent pool? Stop putting all the blame on the players! We are beginning to see your slip showing!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Nah man Hart spot on. I sit and watch us vs Argentina the other night.

Our player saw the game as Arg. did for the most part, but what separated us was that first step and acceleration - that first 2-3 steps. Whereas their first step was powerful and quick ours were weak and slow. Our reaction was also lacking. Even if we saw the same thing as the Arg. players were were almost always a step or half step off the pace.

I broke it down to reaction, first step and quickness. If we can work on correcting these deficiencies then our game will improve big time, then we can go on to more advance tactics and strategies.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:10:10 PM »
The coach pointed out these issues that have been observed and discussed at various times by this forum on many occasions.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
There is truth in Elan's comment..likewise Trinitodebone..I agree the coach should know and understand the capabilities of his players but not put it out there to the public in this manner.
The developmental process for the Trinidad player is much to be desired. The young coaches in Trinidad have not exposed themselves to football at the highest level. The coaches in Trinidad are also limited by there environment. The coaches in Trinidad accept limits ..
Because of so many limitations surrounding player development at the youth level, the result of the process goes without saying.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
Personal Opinion
Every coach has said this since and Including BeenE, Simoes, the German...all right up to Hart, at some point we have to understand is fact, not ONLY excuse. This cannot be changed at the snr level, physical & mental toughness has to be developed at the early age group levels.
  Jamaica players were playing harder and with more determination and physicality, but as a team they were mediocre(in that particular game). This is the mental toughness that Jamaican athletes develop, there is more competition & challenges for individuals to be successful out of that country. Our athletes will quicker complain, fight for rights and politicize an issue, yet will more often than not give up on the sport success and return home/quit when things not going their way on the field of play. "It to cold", "the selectors doh like me or how I play", "they racist", "dem doh like ppl from the carribbean', "not getting enough money', 'not enough support', 'conditions poor', a excellent Trini player here trying for a semi-pro team say " I had to walk 20 mins to get to that field, and when I get there, the vibes wasn't feeling right", " I missing home", " I doh know nobody there", "everything to far"... I myself have heard so many...like the other players doh experience the same..there is a reason there are more J's playing in foreign leagues than TTians. For them It's do, no matter the level or fail. With us, if yuh not a star, yuh failing or ah shitong, difficult for our supporters to see us as role players, we cyah seem to back that.
  Many of our good/better than average athletes (even in my black community) rather pursue other endeavours - sometimes successfully - than be considered mediocre by their own supporters (un-necessary pressure), which serves to further reduce our pool and diminish even greater development. Many do stick, but just don't have the talent to be great, but the greater they are when they are young, as they get older the pressure is put on them to be even greater, but work ethic diminishes .
 There are some present coaches trying to change this, coaches who have experienced & observed less talent in foreign, and realize they can make a difference. Yet it's a difficult road, and requires full support of the society, that is the challenge, changing the expectations of the public. Yuh didn't win a medal, yuh not good or yuh fail. 2nd place is for losers. Them kids couldn't even make final, they not good at all... :bs:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
We too laid back... what Maxg say is true, we not hungry enough as a people, why should our footballers be any different?  I honed in on his comments about mental toughness in particular.  This shouldn't be seen as a knock on the attitude or efforts of the players, I imagine it's hard to keep switched on for 90 minutes when you only playing 45 minutes here and there.  We need to learn not only how to train our bodies to withstand the rigors, but train our minds too. 

I remember reading something years ago, might have been in relation to Michael Jordan, but basically it was about mental training, brought on by repetition.  Do something and do it well over and over and over to the point that you don't really need to think about it.  Push yourselves physically to your breaking point, then push some more.  Eventually, as your body tires during competition, the mind will take over, ignoring fatigue and allowing the physical memory wrought by repetition to take over.  We need to start training our athletes that way... using GPS, heart rate monitors, and recovery methods like cold baths and massage therapy.  These are luxury items given the state of our football today, but things we need to put on our immediate wish list.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Sounds like a pack of excuses to me. If there is no shortage of talent and they didnot look dangerous against a mediocre team?  Who is to blame? First I would not call Jamaica mediocre. The players are similar to ones you had . A couple playing in leagues abroad. It seems to me hart wasnot able to capitalize on the talent pool? Stop putting all the blame on the players! We are beginning to see your slip showing!

Unless I'm mistaken, there was no mention of "mediocre". There was mention of "average" .. and that is Gioannetti's word rather than Hart's ... unless yuh want to impute those words to Hart.

Most recently, Hart’s team placed runner-up at consecutive Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Caribbean Cups last month, losing in a penalty-shoot out to host nation Jamaica in the final.

There was no shortage of talent in that squad, yet the players seemingly failed to approach the match as a final and barely looked dangerous, even against an average Jamaica side.

There’s a factor expressed time and time again by Hart, which may contribute heavily to this.

Hart says he struggles with the fact that many of his regulars do not play consistently for their clubs outside of the T&T Pro League.

Hard ... perhaps even unreasonable ... to take issue with the thrust of SH's comments ... particularly with respect to sports science.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:16:54 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
to be clear ..a mediocre team is not necessarily a bad team..it means it's average..the average National player on any Caribbean team, is still one of the best players in the Caribbean..it's all relative.. I didn't mean JA as a bad team, they were average to me, individually they were good, the left wing back was exceptional, but with all that good individual play, they still didn't totally dominate us, thus as a team, they were average..
not gonna argue anymore no KJ or any of our National players not working hard critique.... as my 18 yr is learning, you can work hard, and get nothing, or you can work smart & hard and still get nothing, but the strong and successful, works hard, works smart, and in spite of losses, keeps going, and not stopping cause others hated to see them losing..as my 37 yr old later discovered

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »

But Hart is not the first coach to say this. Maybe one of the few Trinidadian coaches to say this but think about the similar assessments previous foreign coaches had about our local football and local based players.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 05:05:11 AM »
I read this and laugh when I remember this.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:16:40 AM »
Well, stop picking players who dont play regular football?

Or, insist on a local core for training and playing regular games.

De team could play great against Argentina, Mexico, Saudia, New Zealand and they beat Jamaica twice etc etc but cant do good against de same Jamaica now?

Steups.

Players get mental strength from de coach, he have to motivate them.

Come on Hartie.

Physical strength and fitness is always a problem with T&T though.

This is why we need a local core in constant training.

De TTFA need to make this happen, because is Hart who go look bad in de end. Hart have to put he foot down.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
Sam it's not about picking a team for the now or tomorrow, it about changing the historical way of development, thus culture, to build a legacy in the future. I feel we can go WC everytime, with that change.
add: As an example, look at the amwood model. However, as I said, the real test comes at the Teenage level, lot's of outside pressure then.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:42:36 AM by maxg »

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
Agreed with maxg on this one.

Though I find this article poorly written, it has no flow to it.

I cannot believe a National team in this day and age does not have heart monitors for training. WTF! I have won for my
morning runs with my fat ass selff.

Hart call it as he see it. The question I like is why more of our players not playing a bigger leagues. 2006  Latas, Dog, Lawrence, Edwards, Yorke, Ince, Shaka, Sancho, John, Glenn, John, Birchel all was abroad with decent clubs.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
The issue again remains one of proper long term planning and ensuring that a programme is in place at all levels. You cannot have an unprofessional setup from your administrative standpoint (and this differes from those who sit on the executive) and have a team of professionals trying to win a tournament or qualify for a championship.

You must have dedicated staff in this area to deal with the traditional short comings of our players at all levels. When you can identify your core group (40? 50? 100?) of under 12 players and begin an age appropriate series of tests for them and ensure they are all at the best possible developmental standard for under 12's in terms of technique, mental readiness, physical readiness, psychological conditioning as well, you know your foundation is laid.

Replicate the process age appropriately for each age grouping at timely intervals and your structure takes shape.

Players come into and leave your programme as they develop. Some become late bloomers, some you lose to other sports, but there is always going to be a core group that will be there.

By the time they become seniors, the culture of the national team player is ingrained. The rabid warriors have been conditioned. The selective process would have occurred and the best possible teams will be based on the system we design.

We are a long way from this as we are currently still utilizing the 'pick up side' methodology where we hoping to get the right mix of foreign and locals with a view to whatever the goal calls for at any given tournament.

Just my view.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »

Wha yuh think bout this?

... Sterling demonstrated his precocious talent for Alpha and Omega Youth Football Club on evenings and weekends and, before long, QPR had recruited an 11-year-old Sterling to their Centre of Excellence.

'There was good and bad in that team,' said QPR academy director Steve Gallen. 'The good was Raheem and the bad was the rest of the team. A match would finish 6-5 and Raheem would have scored five goals while the rest let six in.'

His devastation in defeat, as much as his will to win, impressed Gallen, who nicknamed his prodigy "Raheem Park Rangers", because of his ability to win matches on his own.

'He was inconsolable,' said Gallen, 'He'd be on the sideline crying and I would say "Don't worry about the result, you played great". His mentality is his strongest attribute. That's what will get him a career for the next 15 years. He was a coach's dream, I just laid the foundations for him to succeed. You've almost just got to roll out the red carpet and give him a platform to perform.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224063/The-extraordinary-story-Raheem-Sterling.html#ixzz3MeXiZLaY
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:36:57 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
You know the coach has been open and said the players not fit mentally and physically. Some say he making excuses. What excuses.he has the players for limited amount of time. Five to ten days at most and allyuh expect him to get them physically and mentally in shape, when that should have be done by the various clubs and its coaches. The players have some blame to take in this. Outside of practice these guys should be taking it on themselves for personal improvement. They all should be members of fitness clubs where there is access to a weight room. Them is professionals.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

De team could play great against Argentina, Mexico, Saudia, New Zealand and they beat Jamaica twice etc etc but cant do good against de same Jamaica now?

Steups.

Come on Hartie.

De TTFA need to make this happen, because is Hart who go look bad in de end. Hart have to put he foot down.

So ah NT coach have to ingrain mental strength into a 20 - 34 year old man who already playing as a PRO?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:48:20 PM by elan »

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Steups.

Come on Hartie.

So ah NT coach have to ingrain mental strength into a 20 - 34 year old man who already playing as a PRO?

Sam you big and have sense in football. From all accounts Hart at almost all football in T&T. School, u13, Pro League, Super league. he was with the 17 in St Lucia and was with Derek King u20. For me I did not see any excuses, Hart never talk about any game in particular. I taking the statement as general, not specific to the senior National Team.

Brian Williams a few years ago describe the pro league and our footballers as Technically Slow, So even the local youth coaches seeing it.

Hart could put he foot down, but if TTFA have no money, then what? No money, is no money! Okay Hart could resign (god forbid), which would serve no purpose in my view. The TTFA will put Shabazz in place & the cycle will begin again. Or he could stay, work away under the present conditions (which is pretty much what he doing now with decent results) & work behind the scenes to get it right come WCQ. Which is when most sponsors willing to jump on the publicity waggon.

I will bet anybody here, that if Beenie or any other foreign coach come in right now they will raise the same concerns. I watch the T&T U17 versus Haiti stream, and I tell you only one of our U17 (Hudson I think) look like they could have run with them Haitian.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
With the local pro-league playing the FIFA-Euro format, how much time will Hart have to work with them guys. Them guys should be fit because they supposedly playing "first team" football. So everytime they ready to play a game the coach have to worry about pro footballers stamina.  Maybe, he indirectly sending a message to the pro-league and the clubs.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:29:11 PM by Deeks »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
Hart is 100% spot on, we're not fully mentally fit as a team to fully compete in international football. We do have a few players that are but collectively ready.....yet

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
The issue again remains one of proper long term planning and ensuring that a programme is in place at all levels. You cannot have an unprofessional setup from your administrative standpoint (and this differes from those who sit on the executive) and have a team of professionals trying to win a tournament or qualify for a championship.

You must have dedicated staff in this area to deal with the traditional short comings of our players at all levels. When you can identify your core group (40? 50? 100?) of under 12 players and begin an age appropriate series of tests for them and ensure they are all at the best possible developmental standard for under 12's in terms of technique, mental readiness, physical readiness, psychological conditioning as well, you know your foundation is laid.

Replicate the process age appropriately for each age grouping at timely intervals and your structure takes shape.

Players come into and leave your programme as they develop. Some become late bloomers, some you lose to other sports, but there is always going to be a core group that will be there.

By the time they become seniors, the culture of the national team player is ingrained. The rabid warriors have been conditioned. The selective process would have occurred and the best possible teams will be based on the system we design.

We are a long way from this as we are currently still utilizing the 'pick up side' methodology where we hoping to get the right mix of foreign and locals with a view to whatever the goal calls for at any given tournament.

Just my view.
:thumbsup:...a start could be, omit competition and bias amongst the development coaches. We better than them, instead of we working hard together...how can we help you guys. He has a stronger core group, why don't we make arrangements for your son to work with them..pipe dream ?

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »
Sam I have to disagree with a coach cannot teach mental strength that comes from the individual players. You could preach player strong if the player’s mind is weak there is nothing the coach can do the most the coach can do is put out the best team possible and hope is training and tactics work. The coach is spot on our players lack the physical and mental strength to compete on the international stage.   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
What allyuh fellas really asking from a NT coach? If the national caoach has to teach the best players in the country physical and mental strength then we will never succeed on the global stage. So are these not professional players playing at professional clubs? Their mental and physical strength is non existent at their clubs but yet they are being selected for national duty so the coach can teach them mental and physical strength? WDA is this I reading
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:44:59 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Look at what Klinnsman did to the U.S. National team and how even the veterans were crying like babies because it hard to teach old dogs new tricks.........starts from the ground up and that's why he did not take over unless he was given full control............the local players can be molded into whatever the coach wants them to be

1]; } ?>